Start by marking “The Promised Land” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Promised Land

David Hewson

The Promised Land

Bierce was a happily married cop with a bright future. Then on one sunny day in July his wife and their young son were savagely beaten to death. Bierce was convicted of their murders. Languishing on Death Row twenty-three years later, he still has no memory of the incident. Unexpectedly, inexplicably released just seconds before his execution, he teams up with the beautifu ...more
Published December 17th 2015 by Pan MacMillan (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Promised Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promised Land

Sheila
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many books start at the narrator's death and work backwards, but can you really start a book at the point of a lethal injection execution? Well that's exactly what Hewson does. Listening to the audio version it took me a bit to settle as the only voice present in addition to the main character, ex cop Briece, at the start of the novel is the repugnant medical person taking delight in preparing the injection. The narrator's tone adds to the reader's repulsion at this so hang with the story throug ...more
Feather Snowglitter
I just started to read this book, and so far it's interesting. So I will let you know what I think of this book later on. I've read it, and it's interesting..that's all what I want to say.
Christoph Weber
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
not bad, but standard
Michelle
I've read quite a few of David Hewsons books now mostly the Nic Costa series which I love, I'm not so much of a fan of his stand alone novels or the killing series it almost feels like they were written by a different person. I feel there's a lot more depth in the Nic Costa books. I enjoyed this it was OK as a one of read and I did like the main character even if at times he seemed to me a little vapid. I think I'll stick with the Nic Costa books from now on, hopefully he'll carry on with that s ...more
Mei
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I didn't realise this was not Nic Costa and when I did it made me a bit sad...it was an okay read but nowhere near as engaging as the Nic Cost series. In some parts it felt almost sci-fi like (I imagine tom cruise playing some guy who wakes up from suspended animation and its 20 years later and he can't keep track of the new technology - wait, that sounds a bit like futurama...). Anyway I read it to the end and it was fairly entertaining but now I am craving another Nic Costa and I don't think I ...more
Craig
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-hewson
I've read half-a-dozen of Hewson's Di Costa Italian crime series and thoroughly enjoyed them, so this seemed like a low-risk choice. I was initially unimpressed, with the opening scenes not really grabbing my attention, and with minimal sympathy for the main characters. But as the plot developed, so the intrigue grew and I really needed to know what the outcome was going to be. A great denouement left a very satisfying feeling at the end.
Judith Yeabsley
Feb 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure what prompted me to pick this book up but I obviously scanned the blurb WAY too quickly. It was a book aimed at those who love B Grade Cop sagas. It was full of terrible lines, stereotypes, plot holes you could drive a truck through and totally one dimensional characters. Unfortunately, like one of those late at night B Grade Cop shows one keeps reading in the hope that it will get better. No such luck, the plot "twists" downgraded rather than upgraded the quality ....
Alan
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I generally like Hewson's writing. This one was moderately confusing and I didn't feel involved with the characters. It read like a very early work. A man on death row is being put to death by a somewhat nasty medic. We read about the meds going in and suddenly he is being released after 23 years on death row for killing his wife and child. All is not what it seems to be.
Karry
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, though a bit dark and way over the edge. I loved the way it started out, not only on death row but getting the injection! Also like how it was tied up in the end but not too neatly. So Id probbly give it a 3.5 if I could.
Jill
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The opening is so macabre that I nearly stopped reading. The remaining chapters were quite readable- the main character can't remember if he murdered his wife and son or not. He remembers by the end of the book of course.
Audrey
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit to having this on an audio from my local library, well it is gardening time. I listened to this in two days, it is a great read, I did keep wishing Nic Costa would show up. Highly recommend
Adri266
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nuz, co k tomu povedat. znovu jeden skvely namet, ktory autor riadne pokazil
Hlavny hrdina je prepusteny z vazenia, kde je za vrazdu manzelky a syna, hoci si na to vobec nepamata. Dostane sa von a zistuje, co sa vlastne stalo.

Mne absolutne nesadol styl pisania.
Coral
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally different from any other book of his that I've read. Really enjoyed it, totally got me in. Lots of plot twists and nothing clear until right at the end.
Evander v
3.5. I think this had more potential than was realized.
Kaylol
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faced paced story, likeable main characters.
Asha Stark
Aug 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ugh
Vic
Took a while to get into and got a bit frustrated with the flashbacks but the final third was a page turner
Bill
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written story. It has a great flow with plenty of mystery and suspense. I recommend this book to all my friends.
Pat Stearman
Not as good as the Nic Costa series but enjoyable anyway.
Jeanette Turner
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complete change of style. It was as if David had become an American author.
Peter
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book which I read on holiday. The plot is original and did keep me guessing till close to the end. I think I shall read more of his books.
Karen Shepherd
Simon Salomon
rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
DAVID HEWSON was born in Yorkshire in 1953. His books range from the Nic Costa series set in Italy to adaptations of The Killing in Copenhagen and the Pieter Vos series in Amsterdam.
He's adapted Shakespeare for Audible and in 2018 won the Audie for best original work for Romeo and Juliet: A Novel, narrated by Richard Armitage.
2019 sees the release of a new, full-cast Audible drama set in New York