Start by marking “Dirt Music” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  8,998 Ratings  ·  559 Reviews
Luther Fox, a loner, haunted by his past, makes his living as an illegal fisherman, a shamateur. Before everyone in his family was killed in a freak rollover, he grew melons and played guitar in the family band. Robbed of all that, he has turned his back on music. There's too much emotion in it, too much memory and pain.

One morning Fox is observed poaching by Georgie Jutl

Published May 30th 2008 by Picador (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dirt Music, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Hugh
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my last unread book from the 2002 Man Booker shortlist, which is the topic of a current discussion in The Mookse and The Gripes group. I am also planning to read several more from that year's longlist. This for me is the weakest of the six books, but it was still an interesting read.

The story is largely set in the wilder parts of coastal Western Australia. It has three central characters and their relationship is something of a love triangle, but to portray the book in those terms would
Emma
May 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, aussie
Gee, what to say really? Winton is a natural when it comes to description. He can prattle on for miles about this rock and that tree. But when it comes to the meat of a story, he likes to blow past the most interesting and provocative bits! What is with that??? To say this is a love story is laughable to me. Where's the love? How did it happen? Did I miss it? Winton drones on for 100s of pages about landscape, wildlife and paints an exhaustively clear picture of Western Australia. But at what po ...more
Magdalena
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dirt Music is one of those books that gets under your skin. Comes into your bed with you; changes your dreams; travels with you throughout the mundane details of everyday life. Winton's descriptive prose works both externally in its depiction of the natural land - the sea and desert of Western Australia which makes up its setting, and internally, in the way it goes deep inside the pain and anxieties of its characters, as they struggle to free themselves from tremendous damage, and paralysis.
Kim

I'm on a bit of a Tim Winton kick at the moment. For years after reading - and loving - Cloudstreet I ignored his work. Now it seems that I can't get enough of it. And yet, for some of the time I was listening to the audiobook version of this novel, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. It has everything that I love about Winton's writing: down-to-earth Australian English, realistic dialogue, flawed and complex characters, rich symbolism, striking imagery and a strong connection with the natural wo
·Karen·
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia-nz
Blokey novel, full of blokey blokes doing blokey stuff. Far too many people hanging upside down in vehicles of one kind or another, and the predictable ending was deliberately delayed too long for my patience. It's either a momentous portrayal of a raw, archaic world or rather silly, depending on your point of view. I found it silly.
Meike
"God knows, music will undo you, and yet you're whacking this thing into a long, gorgeous, monotonous, hypnotic note and it's not killing you, it's not driving you into some burning screaming wreck of yourself - listen! (...) The sudden groove you're in - damn, just listen to that!"

40-year-old Georgie lives with Jim, a widowed fisherman and father of two, in (the invented town of) White Point, Western Australia. Unemployed, unhappy and a heavy drinker, she feels stuck in her own life, until she
Moses Kilolo
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a descriptive marvel. You feel yourself there. You are one with the characters in their pain and their wrestle with memory and their attempt to come to terms with their wrecked lives. Even long after reading the final page, you feel like Georgie Jutland, Luther Fox, and, perhaps, Jim Buckridge, are persons you've known for a long time. And through their lives you look at your own in a new way.
Mon
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it

When I think of Australia, I think of orange desert, furry animals, the ocean, snakes, big rocks, dirt roads, land, a LOT of land. As a country with one of the lowest population density, it is easy to fantasise about vanishing into the endless land ahead and leaving civilisation behind. It is not that romantic though, think about the sun burn, dehydration, windstorm, and boredom that would drive you insane. You know how famous landmarks - bridges, skyscrapers, tend to gather people with suicidal
Zoey
Tim Winton definitely does a great job of describing the West Australian landscape but the story & characters didn’t hold my interest at all. Maybe it was the complete lack of quotation marks for speech (WHY?!?!?!?) I seemed to be always stopping to work out if it was speech or thoughts etc, that I just didn’t become involved with the people (who I didn’t find likeable at all) or what was going on.
Ace
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tim Winton has a vast vocabulary, creates intense imagery and writes beautifully about our land, Australia. He had me transfixed on WA, inland and coast both arid and vivid. I want to explore the beautiful Coronation Bay, even if it's only make believe :)
S.
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
"The covers of this book are too far apart."
— Ambrose Bierce
Jenny
Dirt Music is story never give up on your dream. Georgie Jutland is a forty-year-old woman who was bored with her life. However, this change when one day was walking along the beach Georgie met Luther Fox, and her life was changed forever. The readers of Dirt Music will follow Georgie and Luther's to see what happens to them.

I not sure why but I always have problems reading Tim Winton's books. I find that I can never really fully absorb Tim Winton stories as I do with other writers. However, I d
Robert
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Dirt Music came as a complete surprise. To date I have read one Tim Winton novel, which was Cloudstreet, and I thought it was good. Dirt Music, however is a superior novel.

Georgie is forty years old and trapped in a relationship with a person she doesn't love and lives in a small hick town in western Australia. Through a series of coincidences she finds rugged loser, Luther Fox and they strike up a relationship. However her husband comes from a long line of thugs and when he finds out that she's
Jana
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was odd. This book has 500 pages and I couldn't stop reading it although I didn’t like it. It's a book about West and North Australia. It sure is contemporary, if contemporary means deep emotions, metaphysics, mystery, heartbreaking love, suffocating pain, guilt, remorse and redemption. Connected with nature but that is I suppose normal if you live in Australia.

But, it failed to be memorable and I didn’t believe these characters and their love triangle was weird. They were bordering betwee
Christine Christman
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great read. Buckridge and Fox and Georgie all rolling out their past wounds into the complex story of the place in their lives where Tim drops us right down with a plop. I loved each character because of their struggles with self-awareness, their willingness to touch, even if ever so slightly, their own pain and try to sort it out. Tim always does the most amazing job taking me to Australia, the many ways of experiencing the country and the many eyes through which the landscape can be vie ...more
Janet
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
One of the best contemporary books I've read for a long time. Tim Winton is at one with his home area around Perth, WA and has written a story that whisks you there.

It tells of Georgie, a forty year old retired nurse who surfs the net and appreciates her vodka; Jim Buckridge, Georgie's lover, who is a successful fisherman and the "uncrowned prince" of White Point; and Luther Fox, the unluckiest outcast in White Point who is grieving the loss of his entire family and poaching lobster traps.

The s
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is going to be a hard one for me to write about. Dirt Music, by well-known Australian author Tim Winton, has been on my reading list for ages and I finally was able to pick it up. I wanted to like it. I wanted to love it. After reading it, though, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It took me about 160 pages to stop wanting to put the book down, although after I hit that point, I did really want to finish it.

First I want to point out that I'm a bit of a lazy reader. I also have definite
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
no spoilers, just synopsis

I'd definitely recommend this book, but I think something got lost in translation for me personally since I've never been to Australia and could only try to envision the places Winton talks about in here. Landscape (geographical in its relation to human) is such an integral part of this novel that I feel sort of left out not ever having seen any of the place.

Set in a fictional place called White Point, a fishing town, the novel focuses on three people:
1) Georgie Jutla
Lesley Moseley
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars ... This is my second reading, and obvious the first time, long ago, didn't resonate. This time I absolutely loved it. I even understood the ending. VERY satisfying.
Merilee
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't agree with Karen that this book is overly blokeish or laddish. I'm on page 100 and really enjoying it so far. The main character so far(Georgie) is a woman.
Louise Tobin
This is not a love story. This is a story of when two outcasts in a small town come together and share their broken lives.
Georgie is with Jim Buckridge, someone who is revered in the small fishing town of White Point. His sons show her contempt but she feels they love her deep down but cant show it.
Luther Fox, destroyed by a horrific accident that took his whole family has been living by stealing fish since. A xenophobic neighbour mutilates his dog and runs him out of town once he finds out abou
Clayton Bye
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literary-fiction
by Tim Winton
Penguin Books, 2012
ISBN: 978-0-14-356879-7
Literary Fiction

Blurb
Georgie Jutland is a mess. At forty, with her career in ruins, she finds herself stranded in White Point with a fisherman she doesn't love and two kids whose dead mother she can never replace. Leached of all confidence, she spends her days in isolated tedium and her nights in a blur of vodka and self-recrimination. One morning, in the boozy pre-dawn gloom, she sees a shadow drifting up on the beach below—a lone
Paul
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
Georgie Jutland has drifted into Jim Buckridge’s life. Widowed, he is a thriving fisherman in the Australian coastal town of White Point. Her relationship with his sons is tense and she has never really settled into his home or the wider community. Georgie is looking out the window very early one morning and sees a boat slip into the water to fish illegally. Buckridge and the other residents of White Point detest poachers.

The man in the boat is Luther Fox, formerly a musician but is now a loner
Yvonne
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Winton is an Australian writer who brings Australia's vast and forbidding landscape to life on the page. I was left imagining Australia, at least the west and the northwest, as sauna hot, where it can be hard to breath and even too hot to swim. The land can be tropical but is also rough and hard with beautiful vistas of ocean, red dirt, remanents of old mountains, palms and mangroves on the coast, clusters of cockatoo's flying out of clusters of trees and the sea teaming with fish life inclu ...more
Deborah Ideiosepius
This was a lyrically beautiful book. The only way West Australia could seem more real and present would be by going there.

The journey that this book takes you on uses two different people as the primary vehicles, both aimless in life and adrift in their own skins. Georgie Jutland has abandoned her career and ended up empty of motivation in a fictional town called White Point. Lu Fox is essentially empty of purpose and wholly drifting through life, so far out of the society of White Point that he
Kiwiflora
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Multi layered, beautifully written, descriptive and atmospheric. A love story revolving around a love triangle, but also a journey of self discovery for each of the three troubled characters, each with more baggage than an inner city railway station. They are a mess, and so are the relationships. Set against the raw and rough and unforgiving land and sea scape of Western Australia, beauty and love and forgiveness somehow happen amongst these three damaged individuals. What remains with me the mo ...more
Ilyhana Kennedy
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Here is an interesting writer. In some way I think he is still in his formative years...in the early part of the book, he does his best to shock the reader in every second sentence, overkill, subtle as a brick through a window. However, this book is a fabulous read and when the shock factor eases back in his writing about 100 pages in, the writing morphs into astonishingly evocative imagery. The words themselves have a "sound" to them that must be taken in along with the visuals evoked.
Tim Winto
Michelle
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really struggled with this book. It was similar to a 'love/hate' relationship. I think its Tim Winton's writing style. No quotations. Short sentences, to the point that sometimes I felt that I had to skim over the writing. Makes for quick reading in some cases, however I feel that it doesn't get you 'involved' in the story. But, that's just my opinion.

Tim Winton does however describes items and objects beautifully. Similar that you could imagine you actually seeing the place- the detail of the
Jen Jacobs
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Having travelled Western Australia in my early twenties, This book took me right back there. Beautiful yet somewhat frightening climate reflected in equally wild yet warm people. The love story was gorgeous and utterly unique - a modern classic. Sam - thanks for the recommendation!
Richard
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Written without a wasted word. Also written without speech marks which is not a problem.

Three main characters or four if you include the relentless heat of Western Australia.

I am very keen to read more Tim Winton.
  • Journey to the Stone Country
  • Truth
  • Past the Shallows
  • My Brother Jack
19929
Tim Winton was born in Perth, Western Australia, but moved at a young age to the small country town of Albany.

While a student at Curtin University of Technology, Winton wrote his first novel, An Open Swimmer. It went on to win The Australian/Vogel Literary Award in 1981, and launched his writing career. In fact, he wrote "the best part of three books while at university". His second book, Shallows
More about Tim Winton...

“Dirt music, Fox tells Georgie, is "anything you can play on a verandah or porch, without electricity.” 3 likes
“You can hide in someone else's rage - it blinds them” 3 likes