Start by marking “My Life as an Extra” as Want to Read:
My Life as an Extra

My Life as an Extra

Chicagoan Marla Goldberg must rebuild her life at forty-one after an unexpected divorce. While adjusting to singlehood, trying to improve conditions at the radio station where she's an account executive and fit in with her successful family, she dips her toes into the daunting dating pool.

Marla yearns to fulfill her long-held dream of being a full-time, working actor, yet
Published June 3rd 2017 by Ruth J. Kaufman

To ask other readers questions about My Life as an Extra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Life as an Extra

Start your review of My Life as an Extra
InD'tale Magazine
This book is more like a diary or stream-of-consciousness essay about one woman’s sad and depressing life after her divorce.

Read full review in the 2017 July/August issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Margaret Watkins
This book can best be epitomised by the comedy and tragedy mask, in that at the darkest hour in Marla Greenberg's life, she finds a way to relate her story in an amusing manner, turning the tables on her list of misadventures as a newly divorced 40-something woman. The story highlights the reality of a broken marriage, and difficulties experienced when trying to board the dating train again after having been part of a couple for many years. Added to that, Marla is also wanting to break through t ...more
Nina
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when you're finally read to pursue your life-long acting dream, but no longer have a young face? That's the tough question Ruth Kaufman tackles in My life as an Extra. Written with more first-person introspection than dialogue, the story takes on a diary-like feel. Overall, I related to Marla as she faces her challenge with humor. I received this book from eBook Discovery. This is my honest review.
Cindelu
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads. I was having a little trouble with the idea of a 42 year old "starlet" but I guess we all have dreams. The book itself was written in an interesting and humorous manner. The pitiful me aspect of it was depressing but it did appear she finally may have decided what she wants out of life which is more than I can say for most of us. After reading this book I have no desire to be in films at all.
Nati
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allá is trying to find to fit in her life again after her divorce at forty-two. She realise that she is not happy with her life in general, a job in a radio station when she always wanted to be an actress, been single and with the pressure to date again. She needs to figure out what she need to be happy again, basically pursue her dreams and learn to love herself. I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review.
Susan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review."
This book was like reading someone's diary. It was ok. This is not the type of book I usually read. So was a change for me
Lexi
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review - I expected this to be humorous given the topic, but the character is a bit whingey so it wasn’t for me - nicely narrated tho.
Angel
Heidi Brown - Floyd
Eileen
Mary

• Pretty Guilty Women
  • Queen of the Warrior Bees (Natural Forces #1)
  • Single in Buenos Aires (The Polo Diaries, #1)
  • The Twelve Strange Days of Christmas (An Essex Witch Museum Mystery)
  • A Horse Called Bicycle
  • Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel
  • Peas, Carrots and a Red Feather Boa (Peas and Carrots #2)
  • Sparky the Dragon Bus
  • Twelve at Christmas: Twelve short stories for the Festive Season
  • A Slice of Lennon
  • Erotic Fiction?
Ruth Kaufman is a Chicago author, on-camera and voiceover actor and storyteller with a J.D. and a Master’s in Radio/TV. She loves peanut butter and chocolate milkshakes, singing in a symphony chorus and going to the theatre.

Learn more at ruthkaufman.com (where you can sign up for her newsletter) and ruthtalks.com. Follow her on Twitter: @RuthKaufman or Facebook:Ruth Kaufman Author & Actress.