Start by marking “The Shape of the Beast: Conversations with Arundhati Roy” as Want to Read:
The Shape of the Beast: Conversations with Arundhati Roy

The Shape of the Beast: Conversations with Arundhati Roy

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The Shape of the Beast is our world laid bare, with great courage, passion and eloquence, by a mind that has engaged unhesitatingly with its changing realities, often anticipating the way things have moved in the last decade.

In the 14 interviews collected here, conducted between January 2001 and March 2008, Arundhati Roy examines the nature of state and corporate power as
Published January 4th 2008 by Viking Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of the Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape of the Beast

Kumar  Anshul
Justifying the horrendous acts of Maoists and Naxalites, claiming that since the attack on Indian Parliament was fabricated so Afzal shouldn't have been hanged, calling Congress 'Benign' and BJP 'Malignant' are some of the ludicrous banter Ms. Roy has filled this book with. It's a series of her interviews between 2001-2008 and you will like it if you agree with her views. I won't comment any further.
Palash Bansal
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: india-general
This book is a collection of interviews of Arundhati Roy. Even though I have watched some of her interviews and talks, the book deeply moved and to a large extent convinced me of her views, which are often criticized as anti-modern, old-school and tried-tested-failed societal ideology.
Her thoughts kept resonating in my mind and at times made me wonder how mean, people can possibly be. Her essays on terrorist attacks, politics and Indo-US nuclear deal etc will be the next on my to-read list.
I was
Dennis Dason
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is collection of interviews with Arundhati Roy published on various Indian and International Magazines & newspapers between1998 (the year she won Booker's Prize) and 2008. It provides some further insights on her stand on various political issues, her thoughts while she was writing "The God of Small things", her personal life and much more. In the last issue of Ananda Vikatan, there was an interview of Roy in which in the preface, the magazine states that conversing with Roy was li ...more
Jodi
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
2013-01-03 -- interesting and thought-provoking, and I learned a little more about India (perhaps from a subjective author but nonetheless she spoke about things I didn't know about). I liked her comments about how being a writer influences her activism. She talks about wanting to use people's stories to highlight the effects of certain events and raise people's consciousnesses. Her style of speech does make it easier to listen to her explanations. I was struck mostly by this quote, "Some of the ...more
Theshigen Navalingam
An insight into the mind of 1998 Booker price winner, Arundhati Roy. The book offers a look into her activism in India. Pretty good primer on the whats what on the dam front. I dont quite fall in line with her potrayal of Americans... the ineffective as just as guilty as the terorist(only to a certain point, it does feel like she goes overboard). She is, despite this, a woman with great courage and tenacity.

The final chapter is especially speial as she talks about her book, her life and how it h
Sameen Mohsin
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that made her my favorite female activist, gives you such an insight on how humanity is being commercialized and exploited according to the whims and desires of a few.
A must read, especially for people interested in South Asian politics.
Stantontas
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Within the first 40 pages there were 4 or 5 deadly effective quotes. Made me see vaguely familiar events in crystal clear focus. Great writing and great political mind.
Jeffy Joseph
It's always a delight to read Arundhati Roy's books.

Being a collection of interviews, this book provides a broad view of her life and work. There are discussions on her first novel and its reception, her reasons to turn to political writing, the controversies and her opinions on various issues and individuals.

We all have our personal biases on every subject. Unless we overcome this bias, we won't be able to appreciate the opposing faction's viewpoints. Arundhati Roy has chosen a side which is
Prasanta
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Okay
Mano
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good interview question and bold response on indian political misuse of peoples money etc etc.
Nishant Sharma
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
truth is not objective. and when the agents responsible for bringing out the truth become corrupt- media, judiciary, the state- things go horribly wrong. democracy looses its footing. hell, it becomes a mockery. this book will shock you, shake you. wake you up from the slumber of nationalism. it will reinforce that truth is not objective at all. not when millions of dollars of investments are riding on on supreme court judgement. not when these deals carry within them seeds of indiscriminate cor ...more
Nanda Rajanala
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Arundhati Roy made a very interesting and meaningful transition from being a world famous writer of an award winning book (The God of Small Things) to a very vociferous defender of democratic rights and human life in several of her future books and speeches. She has continually exposed the evil designs of the American Empire, the India Empire and every other institution or Country that she can safely handle without being violently targeted. This has attracted the attention of several secessionis ...more
Ashish
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: india, politics
The language is as beautiful and elocutionary as it can get, but the message is NOT. It's totally anti-establishment and it keeps asking it readers to revolt against the society at large and in a way is a proponent of anarchy. It's a collection of interviews but the central message remains, 'go back to stone age, leave behind nuclear age'.
It disappoints me as how people like her incite the common villagers rather than becoming a mediator between the aggressor and the aggrieved.
Bhavesh Mehta
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
I picked this one because I was searching was something that was different from regular STUFF, It is a good interview documentary book that is highly enlightening as well as interesting. Although I don't agree with all the views of Arundhati Roy, yet some of her words are thought provoking. A fine read.
Umesh Kesavan
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A peek into the mind of the Indian Chomsky.
Harminder Kailey
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I had been sleeping on this book, for long long time.Now that I have read it, my conscience is a bit more clear.
Giji Thomas
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
An alternate taste of non-fiction started today..
Amit
Jan 13, 2009 is currently reading it
Words matter more than content.....
Isha
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting insight into the injustices perpetrated by the world's 'democratic' governments and big multinationals.
Irfan
Mar 31, 2010 added it
wow! wat a buk...this buk taught me a vy gud learned lesson i.e india only pretends to be a democracy, in real its a totalitarian state...
Navjot Singh
  • Multiculturalism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Nation & Its Fragments: Colonial & Postcolonial Histories
  • A Chorus of Stones: The Private Life of War
  • In Other Worlds: Essays in Cultural Politics
  • Why Are We the Good Guys?: Reclaiming Your Mind from the Delusions of Propaganda
  • Why the French Don't Like Headscarves: Islam, the State, and Public Space
  • Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism
  • Provincializing Europe: Postcolonial Thought and Historical Difference
  • Patriots and Partisans
  • Living My Life, Vol. 1
Arundhati Roy is an Indian writer who is also an activist who focuses on issues related to social justice and economic inequality. She won the Booker Prize in 1997 for her novel, The God of Small Things, and has also written two screenplays and several collections of essays.

For her work as an activist she received the Cultural Freedom Prize awarded by the Lannan Foundation in 2002.

More about Arundhati Roy

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation