Start by marking “Festival of Colors” as Want to Read:
Festival of Colors

Festival of Colors

Learn all about Holi, the Indian Festival of Colors, in this lush picture book from bestselling mother/son duo Surishtha Sehgal and Kabir Sehgal.

Spring is here, and it’s almost time for Holi, the Indian Festival of Colors. Siblings Mintoo and Chintoo are busy gathering flowers to make into colorful powders to toss during the festival. And when at last the big day comes, th
Published January 30th 2018 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Festival of Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Festival of Colors

Calista
I was looking for a book out in 2018 and I saw the title and thought this will be great. I had no idea what it was about. WHAT A Delightful surprise!

This is about a Holy festival in India in Spring where they use colors powdered from flowers to bring in new beginnings, inclusiveness and good over evil. The Festival is the Holi festival and they shout Holi Hai and throw the flower powders of color into the air as a big community.It looks just wild and sorta fun. Reds, oranges, violets, and blues
EricaEreads
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vibrant colors and color identification, as well as a wide range of body types and skin tones, make this book a great choice for storytimes and for book displays. I would've liked a bit more exploration of what Holi is in terms of the holiday itself, but an end-note nicely expands on the sparse information offered by the text.
Urbandale Library
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book easily details the key elements of Holi, the Indian Festival of Colors. Beautifully depicted and filled with vibrant colors, children and parents alike will be excited to learn new ways to celebrate spring.
Emily
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
beautiful! i fully want to make colored powder from flowers!!
Steph
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't even know the Holi Festival of Colors existed until I read this BEAUTIFUL book. Just lovely.

And nothing beats a book that makes you smile AND makes you want to learn more!
Karen
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The lush colors in this book are gorgeous. I am anxious to try this one out with my preschool storytime--a new, fresh twist for the "colors" theme!
Earl
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A vibrant celebration of the Indian festival of colors Holi with a bit of additional about it at the back of the book.
Elizabeth
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Festival of Colors is a really sweet story about Holi that also serves as a delightful colours book! The illustrations are vibrant and gorgeous and suit the story and the festival perfectly.

Highly recommended for anyone in need of a picture book about Holi or colours or both.
Cornelius Library
Holi is the Indian festival of colors and symbolizes inclusiveness, new beginnings, and the triumph of good over evil. Spring is here and Chintoo and Mintoo are ready to prepare for the Holi Festival! Gathering flowers, drying them, separating petals, and pressing them into fine powders is only part of the preparation. As the community gathers for this celebration, Chintoo and Mintoo remind us that it is also about having FUN!
Through the vivid colors and illustrations young readers will begin to
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is a diverse, educational, and entertaining picture book for readers of all ages. It's adorable, brightly colored illustrations help create a book that leaves you feeling happier after reading it. It's incredibly easy to feel happy while reading a book about colors, flowers, family, and festivities.

FULL REVIEW https://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2018/...
Julie Kirchner
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has inspired me to learn more about the Holi Festival of Colors. I’m hoping some of my students, their families, my neighbors and co-workers will be willing and able to share their expertise and experiences about the celebration. I have to say to be a part of a festival “of fresh starts. And friendship. And forgiveness.” would be a wonderful celebration indeed!
Sarah Ward
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My four year old is so obsessed with this book she brought it to school so her pre-k teacher could read it to the whole class. She's so obsessed with it, we've been reading it every night for three weeks. She's SO obsessed with it she tries to binge watch Holi videos on youtube. 5 stars from me for that reason alone.
Matt Miles
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful and shows the experience of the titular festival through young eyes. It also manages to portray the deeper meaning without being pedantic. This is a beautiful book; that is enough.
Nikki
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
As so many families go to the Festival of Colors here in Utah, this would be a nice introduction to the significance of the festival and its origins (I get that it is makes for a great Instagram photo, but there is a bit more to it)
Maria Caplin
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Literally a beautiful story about the Indian Festival of Colors. Perfect for primary (learning colors) and perfect for intermediate to learn about traditions. Perfect for everyone the power of creativity.
A Allen
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are beautiful and adorable. I think the book discusses this celebration in an informative and fun way. I also liked the naming of colors and various flowers, which provides an additional educational aspect to the story.
Kim
LOVE this book and the bright brilliant illustrations. The Indian festival of colors reminds me of The Color Run. ❤💙💚
Kristina Jean Lareau
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
A lovely story on the celebration of Holi. I wish the illustrations had more detail and were more stylized.
Desiree
The illustrations are gorgeous.
Colleen
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very simple telling of Holi. It is perfect for a storytime about Diwali or possibly integrated into a storytime about color.
Sasha Boersma
Diversity in children’s books at its best! Taking the festival of Holi and breaking it down into talking about colours, culture, friendship and fun. Beautiful illustrations.
Ann Santori
Really great color book in and of itself, but the added element of education on Holi/Indian culture is GREAT (esp. with the author's note at the end to provide further context).
Rebecca Gomez
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful and simple. Good way to introduce another culture to little ones.
Alison
Very colorful book about Holi - a festival I previously knew nothing about
Michele Knott
Gorgeous picture book about this colorful holiday.
Clementine
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was fine and probably would work in a classroom setting, but it was also not a standout.
Kelly
Neat story of cultural traditions. I only wish it were a bit longer.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Wonderful illustrations, with a fantastic afterword from the author with easy-to-understand information about Holi!
Carrie
Informative and beautiful.
  • Mommy's Khimar
  • Crescent Moons and Pointed Minarets: A Muslim Book of Shapes
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • All Are Welcome
  • The Field
  • Grandma's Purse
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Hello Hello
  • Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Lovely
  • A Piece of Home
Kabir Sehgal is a vice president in emerging market equities at J. P. Morgan in New York. He serves as an officer in the United States Navy Reserve, served as a speechwriter on a presidential campaign, and is a term member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

He is the New York Times bestselling author of books including Coined, Walk in My Shoes (with Andrew Young), A Bucket of Blessings, and Jazz