Start by marking “The Summer of Broken Things” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Broken Things

The Summer of Broken Things

Fourteen-year-old Avery Armisted is athletic, rich, and pretty. Sixteen-year-old Kayla Butts is known as “butt-girl” at school. The two girls were friends as little kids, but that’s ancient history now. So it’s a huge surprise when Avery’s father offers to bring Kayla along on a summer trip to Spain. Avery is horrified that her father thinks he can choose her friends—and m ...more
Published April 10th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Broken Things, please sign up.
Maddie Well, this book is a lot different but I enjoyed reading it just as much as this one. It's called the Summer I Learned to Fly. Also, Velvet (a…moreWell, this book is a lot different but I enjoyed reading it just as much as this one. It's called the Summer I Learned to Fly. Also, Velvet (a trilogy) is good. So is the Art of Being Normal. And if you need some other books, Everything Everything or the Sun is also a Star. This is more of ids book but Every Soul a Star is really good. (less)

Kathy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is not my typical genre. I rarely read YA books unless they have romance in them. The Summer of Broken Things is more of a coming of age family drama. The main characters are fourteen and sixteen and they felt true to their actual age. This made them seem young compared to many characters in YA novels, but I feel most of the time authors write characters who come across as being too mature for their actual age. Content-wise this was very clean with no swearing or sex or anything objectionab ...more
kazually
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
i really liked this book. through the beginning and the middle of the book, it was kinda repetitive, but i loved the ending. i liked how Kayla and Avery's relationship suddenly transitioned into a really good relationship between them and how they acted around each other.

------------------------------------------------
this book seems so depressing and cute, i want it.
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
3.5 Stars

I was very intrigued by The Summer of Broken Things when I first heard of it, especially since it is set in beautiful Spain. It is a story about family secrets, and it contains two main characters who change drastically throughout the book. I did find the plot to be predictable, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment too much. I would recommend this one to younger readers looking for a summer read with a message.

Full review on The Candid Cover
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
4.5 STARS

Avery can’t believe her father is dragging her to Spain for the summer with Kayla, a girl she knew as a child. Kayla, grateful for the opportunity to escape her rural town, comatose father and job at a nursing home, doesn’t know how she’ll endure spoiled Avery’s whining. When a secret reveals the girls’ connection (no, not the obvious one you think you’ll see coming) neither will be the same.

Margaret Peterson Haddix hooked me from the first chapter. Avery’s insufferable complaints, were
Sara (sarabara081)
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

The Summer of Broken Things is just that, a story about two girls whose worlds seem to collide and fall apart while on summer vacation together, and the ways it changed them.

Avery’s father must travel to Spain for the summer and insists that not only she come with him, but that they bring along a girl she once knew as a young child, Kayla. Both girls couldn’t be more different from each other and Avery feels a little resentment that Kayla is ta
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: charlotte
The Summer of Broken Things is a coming of age/family drama about two very different teen girls who are forced to spend the summer together in Spain.

The descriptions of Spain will transport readers to this beautiful country and I enjoyed that the focus is on the family dynamics instead of teen romance. The story is told with the alternating points of view of the two teens, Avery and Kayla. These two are like night and day - Avery is the spoiled and trendy, yet sheltered ‘city mouse’ and Kayla i
Kassie
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
*i was sent this book in exchange for an honest review.*

I gotta say, i had a lot of issues with this book. The fat rep felt ... not great and I’d love to hear more opinions on that if you’ve read it. There was a lot of oddly “naive” racism in this book from our main characters to their grandparents and sometimes random strangers. The two POV main characters are both just REALLY annoying.

I found that the FIRST big problem/secret/whatever we learn frankly shouldn’t have been as big of a deal as ev
Aryana Parmar
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Violet Sinclair
DISCLAIMER: I received a complimentary copy of THE SUMMER OF BROKEN THINGS in exchange for an honest review

2 Stars

HNNNNGGGG

Look, I didn’t go into THE SUMMER OF BROKEN THINGS with the sole intention to tear it to shreds, I genuinely wanted to enjoy it.

But...it was a big fat yikes.

Where do I begin with this book?

Listen, Margaret Peterson is probably my favorite sci-fi author of all time and I’ll always love her science fiction. That being said, I’ve now read two of her contemporary books and I did
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Summer of Broken Things is a Young Adult book that I would classify as realistic fiction. This is my first book by this author.

This book is quite different from most YA books that I read. The main characters/narrators are younger (14 and 16) and there is almost no focus on romance.

There are two first person narrators: Avery (14) and Kayla (16).

Avery is rich, spoiled, pretty and popular. She loves soccer and she has lots of friends. Kayla comes from a completely different background. Her fami
Dreaday
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugggghhhhh MPH, you are so much better than this!

Both characters are such cliches, it hurt to read. The Spoiled Teen was incredibly unlikeable and the Country Teen was just cringeworthy.

I love twists, but the main twist was so... not that big of a deal? The second twist was great and perfectly written and awesome. THAT is why I read MPH.

My personal rant:
This book made it seem like nursing home residents in the country are all kindly people with stories and advice to share, whereas Europe has p
Ms. Yingling
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
35297600Haddix, Margaret Peterson. The Summer of Broken Things.

April 10th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Avery is a well-to-do 14-year-old who loves to play soccer. Her father must spend the summer in Spain for work, and her mother is staying to run her decorating business. Something is wrong with this situation, but Avery isn't quite sure what it is. Kayla is two years older and lives in a small town not too far from Avery's posh town. Her
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Bitter-sweet would be a good description for this book. Avery and Kayla are teens who have serious issues to work through. They are very different personalities with insecurities and preconceived notions of who they are and their place in society.

This book deals with some hard emotional issues. The girls learn and grow, they also learn respect and the value of someone who is different from them. I think in they end they realize that they aren't as different as they first thought.

The book is a c
Misty Wilson
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This young adult book’s title isn’t playing around. When it says stuff broke, like, that summer THINGS BROKE.

Avery is a spoiled rich girl forced (forced?!) to go to Spain for the summer with her dad. For reasons no one understands at first, they take along a poor country-mouse-type girl, Kayla, who isn’t really even a friend of Avery’s. The girls annoy me a bit and I’m even more annoyed when they can’t get along. I mean they REALLY can’t get along. They are total opposites and their attitudes a
Addyson Huneke
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't understand all the bad reviews on this book. I thought it was amazing and I'm very hypercritical. Maybe some of the bad reviews have something to do with the Christian undertones and constant talk of prayer?

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I loved the characters and how Kayla was just as flawed and angry as Avery. I loved the plot twist. I really enjoyed the Christian undertones. This was a really great book and I just don't understand the hate it's getting.
Karen Arendt
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, young-adult
I enjoyed this book though I was expecting something more sci-fi or dystopian from the author. She raises thought-provoking questions about surrogacy and what constitutes family while infusing Spanish culture. I felt I was getting a trip to Spain while enjoying the book!
Bickering Book Reviews
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkk1T...

The concept of this book had great potential but the characters were never developed beyond caricatures and the plot felt very predictable however there is a very unique storyline involving surrogacy that help better the book but didn't save it.

We received eARCs of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Kathy Martin
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE SUMMER OF BROKEN THINGS tells the story of a summer that really changes both of the main characters.

Avery Armisted is fourteen, rich, pretty, athletic and just a little bit spoiled. When her parents tell her that she is going with her father to Spain for the summer instead of to soccer camp with her friends, she is angry and disappointed. She is even more angry when her father tells her that they are bringing along Kayla Butts who is two years older and who was a friend when both girls were
Mineliz Febus
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Fourteen-year-olds Avery and Kayla were childhood best friends. The key verb is “were.” Now they can’t stand each other, and they’re as different as a crescent moon night and a summer solstice day. Avery is rich, pretty, popular and worldly. Kayla is quiet, awkward and the butt of ugly jokes. Literally. Her last name is Butts, and she’s called “butt-girl” at school. Things take a strange turn when these two former friends are forced to travel to Spain together. Their parents are hiding something ...more
Jaina Rose
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Margaret Peterson Haddix has an eery habit of writing exactly what I want to read. I came home from my first year of college in Scotland, trying to plan a way to travel to Spain, and I came home to read . . . a book by my favorite author about two American girls wandering around Spain! The details are incredibly detailed and alluring, and I'm even more excited than ever to go there myself.

The drama was a little melodramatic, but the setting more than makes up for it.
Amy Palma
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Realistic fiction from Margaret Peterson Haddix. Great book for mature 7th grader and up. A story of friendship, sports (soccer), travel (Spain), growing up and family secrets. Towards the end of the book I was thinking, this is a wonderful book, wish it had a little more drama & suspense. Then I turned the page.....
Erin
May 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
soooooboring
CR
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Noteworthy experiences while reading this book: When I started this book I really sure what I was going to find. I really didn’t care for her other series that my oldest had to read in 6th grade. So I kind of went into this one being a little prejudice against it. But what I found was so much better than I could have ever dreamed of.

Check out author's other books? YES
Recommend this book? YES YES YES YES YES

Notes and Opinions: This one is in dual POV with two amazing girls. On one hand we have
Lauren
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
The Summer of Broken Things is a heartwarming YA contemporary about how one summer can change everything.

What I Liked:

1. The Dual POV - The Summer of Broken Things alternates between Kayla's and Avery's POVs. Margaret did a great job of switching between them, and I liked how they both sounded unique. Kayla's reflected her upbeat, bubbly personality while Avery's reflected her moodiness.

2. The Characters - Kayla and Avery couldn't be any more different. Avery's always had everything in life h
Krystal
I rated this book ⭐⭐⭐⭐/ 5 stars for the following reasons:

My Thoughts on the book:
This book follows Avery & Kayla our two main characters as they embark on a trip to Spain. My first impression of Avery is she's a spoiled brat who is disrespectful to her parents and who is also one of the popular "mean-girl" crowd in her high school. My first impression of Kayla is she's the girl who chooses to be the "loner", who keeps her head down and chooses to avoid being involved with the kids at schoo
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spain, tough-stuff
I received this through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Avery wants to spend the summer with her friends at soccer camp. However, her father is forcing her to spend summer with him in Spain. He allows her to bring a friend along, but he chooses the friend. Kayla is a poorer girl, whose mother was friends with Avery's nanny when they were younger. Kayla has stayed in brief contact with Avery's family over the years. Avery's father decides that she would be the best traveling companion
Madi Nation
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ya
I recieved this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I thought it would be cheesy, and just your basic "taking a trip and Finding yourself" book, which it was, but it was also so much more. It had twists that I wasn't expecting, and the author really captured the teenage angst with Avery. I remembered myself talking to my parents like she does, thinking they were so stupid, when really it was me being stupid. It was me being a s
Yapha
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic-fiction, ya
This is not your usual action-packed Margaret Peterson Haddix thriller. It is a much more introspective, slower paced book, looking at family secrets and relationships. It does still have the trademark Haddix plot twists and reveals. And it made me want to go to Madrid. Recommended for grades 8 & up.

eARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss
Riya Sahu
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It was set with real life experiences, and I loved the changing of the characters. It was so cool to see how they progressed through the tough times, and they came out to be better friends than before.
Lia Grammer
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this book was ok. One part of the book felt like it dragged on forever because the characters kept on emphasizing and repeating basically the same thing. But the book did have a good message, so I'll give it 3 stars.
Margaret Peterson Haddix grew up on a farm near Washington Court House, Ohio. She graduated from Miami University (of Ohio) with degrees in English/journalism, English/creative writing and history. Before her first book was published, she worked as a newspaper copy editor in Fort Wayne, Indiana; a newspaper reporter in Indianapolis; and a community college instructor and freelance writer in Danvil ...more