Start by marking “Poison (Dismas Hardy, #17)” as Want to Read:
Poison (Dismas Hardy, #17)

Poison

(Dismas Hardy #17)

From the “master of the legal thriller” (Chicago Sun-Times) John Lescroart comes a dramatic family drama in which attorney Dismas Hardy is called on to defend a former client against the accusation of murder.

Dismas Hardy is looking forward to cutting back his work hours and easing into retirement after recovering from two gunshot wounds. He is determined to spend more time
Published February 13th 2018 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Poison, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Victoria Mcvicker I noticed that, too. There was no conclusion to the affair. Sloppy by Lescroart, or is it as you suggest, coming in #19? Doubtful, I think. But who…moreI noticed that, too. There was no conclusion to the affair. Sloppy by Lescroart, or is it as you suggest, coming in #19? Doubtful, I think. But who knows. This was not his best effort, in my opinion. But I still enjoyed it and will read his next one.(less)

Esil
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

The solution to my 2018 fiction slump may be to not aim too high. So I decided to read Poison, which is #17 in a series by an author I have never read. Low expectations can sometimes be rewarding. Poison was not profound or mind blowingly clever. But it felt like the comfort food of a very solid police procedural.

Dismas Hardy is a recognizable aging criminal defence lawyer who reluctantly takes on the case of a young woman who swears she is innocent in the murder of her boss who runs a
Matt
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, John Lescroart, and Atria Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

As a long-time fan of John Lescroart and his work, I was pleased to receive an early copy of his latest legal thriller, which offers series fans much to digest while being highly entertained. Dismas Hardy is still recuperating from the harrowing end of the last novel, when he was shot twice at point blank rang
Patrice Hoffman
Poison is the 17th installment of the Dismas Hardy series. I've been a fan of Hardy series for a while, and although Poison is entertaining enough, I didn't feel John Lescroart included the thrilling suspense I've come accustomed to in his other titles.

Hardy is called to action when an old client of his is charged with murdering her boss. Hardy is reluctant to take the case due to the danger that comes along with fighting a homicide charge, and he's semi-retired. Neither the two bullet wounds or
Jean
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Lescroart’s Dismas Hardy series has been one of my “go to” favorites over the past few years. Part legal thriller, part police procedural, his stories have likable characters – defense attorneys and prosecutors, cops, their wives, and kids – who often butt heads professionally but can meet for “the Special” and a beer for lunch at Lou the Greek's or stop over on a Saturday night for a barbecue at one another’s home. They get along by agreeing to disagree, and sometimes one or the other will ...more
Faith
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I have not read any of the other books in this series about criminal defense attorney Dismas Hardy, but the book worked fine as a standalone. I was expecting more of a legal thriller, however this is a procedural with investigations by both the San Francisco police and by Hardy with his private investigator.

Hardy's former client Abby Jarvis has been arrested for the murder by poisoning of her employer Grant Wagner. She has definite motives for killing him, but so do the victim's grown children
Susan Johnson
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This may be Dismas Hardy's 17th book but it's my first and I am thinking, "Where have I been?" This is an entertaining story of a defense lawyer in San Francisco. He is recovering from some bullet wounds following his last case when a former client calls him in deep trouble. She has been arrested for murdering her boss.

The client, Abby, had done time for vehicular manslaughter ten years previously but has seemed to turned her life around. She has a very good job as a bookkeeper at a prosperous
Monnie
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Getting shot ain't a walk in the park; and the last time it happened to defense attorney Dismas Hardy, two bullets nearly cost him his life. So now - a year later - he's still recovering and seriously contemplating at least a partial retirement. But everyone knows what happens to best-laid plans - and hopefully for better, not worse, he finds himself trying to defend former client Abby Jarvis. Turns out she's been charged with the murder of her boss, a highly successful owner of a closely held f ...more
Midwest Geek
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Dismas Hardy series.
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
You must already be invested in the Dismas Hardy series to really enjoy this book. (I believe this is my 11th of the series.) If not, you very likely will rate this one- or two-stars only. Unlike many others in the series, this is not a legal mystery/thriller in the conventional sense. It is closer in form to a police procedural, but there is a great deal of time spent on Hardy's inner struggles as he becomes involved in defending another person accused of murder, even though he had sworn off su ...more
Donna Hines
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book literally took my breath away. Now whether that's due to my month long acute bronchitis or the writing I can't be sure but I truly think it's a mixture of both.
Ironically, money is at the root of all evil but so too is poison ( Aconite to be specific) which adds to the mystery and intrigue of it all especially the 3 cases that soon follow.
Add to the mix some huge insurance fraud as finding new ways to have deaths appear as natural born illnesses is amazingly difficult apparently from
Jim
Starting a series with #17 isn't usually a good idea, but it worked out very well in this case. The book stood alone just fine & yet the author spent almost no time on the obviously long back story. Perfect. An excellent murder mystery & legal thriller with very little court room time. It mostly dealt with a dozen characters with very realistic issues. Well done on the addiction issues.

The biggest disappointment was that catching the killer was underplayed. That meant it avoided some rea
Tim
Apr 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lame. 1 of 10 stars
Donna Lewis
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back Dismas Hardy! Great book, smart plot, my favorite city and favorite characters. Looking forward to the next one.
LJ
First Sentence: If opening day wasn’t the happiest landmark in Dismas Hardy’s year, he didn’t know what was.

San Francisco attorney Dismas Hardy is recovering from two gunshot wounds and thinking about retirement. The murder of Grant Wagner, the owner of a successful family business, changes his plans. Abby Jarvis was a former client of Hardy’s and is the prime suspect. She was Wagner’s bookkeeper and was receiving substantial sums of cash off the books, but she claims she is innocent. The furthe
Mal Warwick
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Lescroart surprises with a courtroom drama in which the suspense is all about whether Dismas Hardy's new case will ever get into a courtroom. Poison is the 17th novel in Lescroart's first-rate series about the San Francisco defense attorney who is also an ex-Marine, a bartender, and a former assistant DA. As the title suggests, the case at the heart of this tale is about a death by poison.

Dismas ("Diz") Hardy, now sixty-something, is the managing partner of a small firm of San Francisco pla
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poison is the 17th entry in John Lescroart's long running Dismas Hardy series.

A former client of Dismas has been charged with murder. Her employer has been poisoned - and she stands to benefit from the will. But, there are a myriad of other suspects. It's a family business and any of the man's relatives had an opportunity to kill him. And as Dismas digs into their lives, looking to clear his client, he discovers they all have secrets - and motives.

I've always enjoyed Dismas as a lead character -
Fred
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Abby Javis is Grant Wagner's secretary and he left $1 million to Abby when Poisoned to death with a drug, "Aconite". This lead to Abby Javis being accused of his death & using the drug to kill him. Investigations show Abby was also getting $100k per year while working for Grant. They determine Abby's child, Veronica, is the family's half sister. Can Dismas Hardy prove Abby is innocent?

Grant was looking to sell the company & retired. His children the "G-Team" were Gene, Gary, Grace &
Valerie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The latest John Lescroart novel featuring Dismas Hardy is a bit different than the previous ones of course. Hardy had been shot twice in his last investigation, and since he has a lot of chronic pain, he is thinking seriously of severely cutting back his work time. Of course, he is also concerned about the risks involved to himself and his family in case some desperate or otherwise person running from the law decides to retaliate. Wife Franny is all for it. In this particular volume a wealthy bu ...more
Linda
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've jumped around quite a bit in sequence in the Dismas Hardy books, but it doesn't seem to matter.
I'm sure the narrative would be a bit richer if I watched the gradual maturation of his family life, but jumping right to the present worked out fine. His wife Frannie is tired of Dismas putting himself in danger for his clients. He doesn't get to see as much of his adult son as he would like, but they have a good relationship despite their generational disagreement about mobile phones.

Solid myste
Liz
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Man I love me some Dismas Hardy but wow. What happened here? I got worried when I saw the book was only 290 pages but remained hopeful. This book to me was slightly pointless. So we have the story ride through the premise, have one small court scene. Then bam. Killer identified. Doesn’t even put up a fight Mystery solved. Book done. No challenge whatsoever. Very disappointing.
Cindy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absorbing plot and likable main character. Like the series, this is a good addition. Some profanity but no graphic descriptions (murder/sex scenes). Recommended.

Free at the local library and I thank mine.
Marty Fried
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm disappointed in this book for a few reasons. One is personal; my love for this series is in a large part due to the interactions between Hardy and Abe Glitsky, and there wasn't much of that in this book.

But there were a couple of technical things that bothered me. These might be considered spoilers, somewhat, so I'll put spoiler tags around the rest of the review just in case. I don't know that it's really a major spoiler, but read at your own risk.

(view spoiler)
Ruth Ann
This latest Dismas Hardy book is a perfect blend of crime, foes, family and colleagues.
After being shot twice, Diz is reluctant to take on another murder case, but this one involves a former client, Abby Jarvis. He believes she will not get adequate representation without him.
When his case evolves to possibly endangering a family member, Frannie draws a hard line.
Joyce
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

Another great Dismas Hardy adventure.

Dismas is just getting used to the idea of retiring. He wants to cut back his hours and take it a little easier. He feels getting shot four times is enough. However, his secretary calls him with an urgent message. It seems Abby Jarvis whom he represented years ago on a DUI charge has gotten herself in trouble again. This time it’s murder.

The deceased is Grant Wagner (the review has the surname incorrect), who was sixty-two years old and the owner of P
Laura Rash
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite things about this Dismas Hardy series is that they never get old! There’s always enough new info & storylines that make each one a great read without ever seeming like you’ve read it before. This was one of the best in this series!
Thanks to Atria for this early copy!
Jeanie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
While defense attorneys were fond of saying that it really didn't matter and they really didn't care about whether their clients were factually guilty or not, basic human nature kicked in when you sincerely believed that you were defending an innocent person.

Dismas Hardy defense attorney, bar owner, father of two and husband of one, has sworn never to take homicide case again. To dangerous. Been shot at and done that. However, when Abby Jarvis called him from the San Francisco jail in desperate
Melliott
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
What's the line about damning with faint praise? I liked this book—gave it three stars—but honestly, I think Dismas Hardy's star is waning as the hero for fresh fiction from Lescroart, and maybe he needs to take the giant leap of making a new start with someone else. Not someone from this franchise, either (he's done that with Glitzky, Farrell, Hunt, Rebecca, trying to mix it up, and none of them was as successful as the ones with Hardy), and maybe not set in San Francisco! Everything has become ...more
Barbara Nutting
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
So......Agatha Christie isn’t the only one who knows her way around poison!!

Twenty years later I am still reading this series - finally getting back to the three I haven’t read yet. Great to connect with Dismas again after being away for a few years, like a class reunion. He even lives in my old home neighborhood, the Richmond District of San Francisco.

Great story, these characters all seem like real people and the plot is plausible. So many of them are not. Can’t wait to read the last two to d
Wild
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Out of all of the 17 Dismas Hardy legal thrillers I've read, this was one of the two or perhaps three that rated 3 stars instead of the usual four or five stars. It was still very enjoyable, and almost as comfortable as pulling on your favorite sweater on a cold October morning. But Lescroart has done better in most of his past novels to capture that thrilling court room ambience and 11th hour discovery to change the course of the trial Dismas has been fighting on.
"Poison" engages you with a pla
Montessahall Montessahall
This novel is extremely well written. Only criticism is the plot gets a little complicated at times. The audiobook narration is amazing.
  • Ant Farm (Seamus McCree #1)
  • Death in Rough Water (A Merry Folger Nantucket Mystery #2)
  • Too Lucky to Live
  • A Death in Live Oak (Jack Swyteck, #14)
  • Bridges Burned (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #3)
  • Killing Silence (The Loser Mysteries, #1)
  • Bad Reputation (Madeline Maclin #4)
  • The Secret Partner (Paul Madriani, #15)
  • The Pot Thief Who Studied Escoffier (A Pot Thief Murder Mystery #3)
  • The Question of the Missing Head (An Asperger’s Mystery, #1)
  • Death Spiral (Faith Flores Science Mystery #1)
  • Bleeding Through (Rachel Goddard Mystery #5)
  • Dante's Dilemma (A Mark Angelotti Novel #3)
  • Deeper Than the Grave (Tai Randolph Mysteries #4)
  • The Governor's Wife (Michael Kelly, #5)
  • Red Line (Matt Sinclair, #1)
  • Tahoe Dark (Owen McKenna #14)
  • Strike Dog (Woods Cop, #5)
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)