Start by marking “Sunny (Track, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sunny (Track, #3)

Sunny

(Track #3)

Sunny tries to shine despite his troubled past in this third novel in the critically acclaimed Track series from National Book Award finalist Jason Reynolds.

Ghost. Patina. Sunny. Lu. Four kids from wildly different backgrounds, with personalities that are explosive when they clash. But they are also four kids chosen for an elite middle school track team—a team that could q
Published April 10th 2018 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

Start your review of Sunny (Track, #3)
Jen Petro-Roy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, ebook, arc, 2018
I don't think Jason Reynolds can write a bad book.
Faith
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, overdrive
This author has such a gift for creating characters with unique voices. He doesn't write stereotypes, he writes people. I don't generally read middle grade books, but I think this author is special. I wish that he had been around when I was a kid. The narrator of the audio book was also special. He got the beats and the rhythms of the language just right.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
I love books by Jason Reynolds. I feel like he speaks to all those "weird" outcast kids who felt like they had to stay in their box. Reynolds shows them they don't have to.

Seriously everyone, if you haven't read a Jason Reynolds book, you need to get your life in order.

I listened to the audio version of this book and highly recommend it as it is performed really well
steph
I listened to the audio book narrated by Guy Lockard*

This book was FANTASTIC. It is the 3rd book in the Track series and it follows 12-year-old Sunny Lancaster, the #1 middle distance runner of the Defenders. Sunny does one thing on the team, he runs and he wins, he runs and he wins, he runs and he wins, he runs and he wins. But Sunny doesn’t particularly like running, instead, he wants to do something different.

I will admit that I have read the other two books in this series and have really en
Krista Regester
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know what we did to deserve Jason Reynolds but I’m so thankful we have him. He gives a voice to so many that don’t have one. Sunny made me laugh while crying so many times. His thought process is sporadic and untamed in a way that only some can relate to. Guy Lockard was the perfect choice for the audio book. This was just brilliant.
Beth
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This is written in Dear Diary format. Sigh.

I can't stand Dear Diary format; I find it overly self-aware to the point where it veers into uncomfortably self-conscious. Case in point:
Dear Diary,

The only thing weirder than me is my teacher creature. Aurelia. I know I said she might feel like she has to introduce herself to you again, even though she's been around as long as you have, but I just realized that it's been years, so maybe you don't remember her. Maybe it's you who needs the again-intro
Laura (bbliophile)
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so, so much.
Andrew Guan
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the third book of the "Track" tetralogy, the book focuses on the unique character Sunny. Sunny's mom died when she gave birth to him and he always feels like he is a "murderer" for his mother's death. He lives with his father who does not want him to call him dad because he feels like it brings too much pain without a mom. His mother always wanted to run the mile as a track runner so his dad feels like it is Sunny's responsibility to run for his mom. Sunny is exceptionally good at running the ...more
Abby Johnson
Another hit in the track series. I love this series and the audiobooks are just great. Sunny's kind of a weirdo. He's the master of the mile on his track team and always wins his races, but he doesn't really enjoy it. He runs for his mom who died when he was born. She ran and his dad has always told Sunny that the way to honor her would be to run. But Sunny's done with running. He wants to dance instead. And he's afraid that he won't be allowed to stay on the track team with his friends if he's ...more
Kristen
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Edelweiss provided me an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sunny's story is very different than that of Ghost or Patina. First, his story is a series of diary entries--a diary he keeps to help control all the thoughts and ideas swirling around in his head. And Sunny's brain doesn't process things like other kids (although...now that I'm typing that...his brain probably processes things like A LOT of other kids)--he jumps from thought to thought, from subject to subject, rhyming
Daniel Qiu
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the most thought provoking book in the Track series for me. I'm not sure if it's my favorite, but it's the one that's made me think the most. I have read the two previous ones in the series, and what I liked about those two is that we really got to experience the running part of their lives, we got to meet a lot of interesting characters and feel like we were talking with and running with being with the Defenders, and this book doesn't really allow you to experience that. This is th ...more
Agnė
Sunny, the third installment in the middle grade Track series, has a sweet story and a unique narrative voice full of sound effects, which is fittingly conveyed by Guy Lockard's audiobook narration.

However, just like reading the second book in the series, Patina , I was mostly bored. Sorry :( My favorite parts, once again, were track-related (practices and meets), but in Sunny they are few and far between. And the rest of the story, unfortunately, is rather slow and uneventful. Plus, I'm not
Candychaser21
Oct 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Book had nothing to do with what the summary in the front said. Author was trying too hard to sound "hip" and "cool". Instead, it just came across as random babbling. There was very little development on any subject, the book jumped all over the place. I also found the ending to be weak. The author was trying way too hard, it just didn't work.
Aliza Werner
Gobbled SUNNY up from cover to cover this morning. Number 3 in the series makes these kids' lives more real every time. Run. Dance. Throw. Just move. Jason Reynolds, you can do no wrong! Wih-winner!
Suad Shamma
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, own
I'm so confused. I don't know what went wrong here. I'm actually a little annoyed with this book. I feel like the quality has decreased from one book to the next. Ghost was such a great book, but I can't say the same about the rest of the series.

This one was the worst so far. It's such a shame because I was really looking forward to Sunny's story. He was always one of my favorite characters, and I had such high hopes.

It was written in "Dear Diary" style, and unfortunately, I found Sunny's narr
Alicia
Fast-paces both in its use of white space as Sunny writes in his diary and in how Reynolds keeps us moving through Sunny’s world where his birthday is coming up- which also means that it’s the day his mother died.

Sunny has to finally soon share with his coach and his father that he doesn’t want to run anymore- it is what his father wants because that’s what his mother did. But he wants to dance and Coach, being his usual awesome mentor self, recommends that Sunny throw discus.

It’s a quick read
Stefani Sloma
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh man. Sunny. I've been waiting for your book. Written entirely in diary entries, SUNNY is beautiful, sensitive, and an absolute masterpiece like all of Jason's books. I thought the way that Jason represents Sunny's love of music and dancing, the way that he sees the world, was really cool. I think this is my favorite of the series.
Skip
Nov 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very weak effort. Disliked the format of "Dear Diary" and Sunny's voice, which sounded fake/contrived. The book jumped all over the place, and because Sunny was homeschooled, there was little else to do but agonize over Sunny's problems at home. The only highlight was Sunny finally doing something just for herself. This series has really gone downhill.
laura ✌
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
4/5 :)

longer review coming soon...
Sarah Krajewski
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sunny Lancaster is one of the fastest members of the Defenders track team. His race is the mile, and he always comes in 1st place. There’s one problem though. Sunny hates to run! He only does it because his father, Darryl, has always encouraged him to run to “make his mother proud.” Sunny feels guilty, for his mother passed away the day he was born. He feels responsible, even calling himself a murderer. Sunny lives his life for his mother, but soon he starts realizing that needs to start living ...more
Kathy Mathey
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one might be my favorite ~ maybe because it's Mother's Day and it struck that chord. Love the universal message that we all are trying to find our niche, our place, our people.
Clara Biesel
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is just killing it. I love what a weirdo Sunny is, and I love the progress he makes in this book. There was also a really special little interview at the end of the audiobook with the author and the reader who are friends. The reader (Guy Lockard) also read the audiobook for Ghost (which got an American Library Association honor) about how important it was to Reynolds to have the dialect right, and how Lockard was the only one he trusted to do it. They also talked about how important ...more
Jeimy
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book in the series thus far. As a teacher, I see so many possibilities with this book. The most obvious one is to teach stream of consciousness, but I would love to share this book with students and teachers to foster empathy and understanding of people with ADD or ADHD—the book never says Sunny has attention deficit, but it is clear that he does.
McKinlay Dennis
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse, 2018, poc-authors
i listened to the audiobook and the guy who narrated it really brought Sunny to life. and Sunny was weird! but i loved him! i need to reread all these books back to back once the last one is out. but for now i'm going with 3.5 stars.
Ashlee Tominey
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Oh my goodness this was fantastic! Sunny is WEIRD (his words). And he has so much he carries around and stuffs down. The story is set up as diary entries and it works well. We learn so much about him as he starts to unleash the words and feelings, even switching events in track meets.

Guy Lockard was an amazing narrator and really brought Sunny to life. So far I think this is my favorite in the Track series.
Amanda
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so enjoyable to listen to. Guy Lockard’s reading of the sounds is total stortytime goals. The storyline, and lovable and relatable characters made this one that I would highly recommend to kids.
Alexa L
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an absolutely fantastic third book in one of my favorite series. I know I’m obsessed with Jason Reynolds, but Guy, the narrator absolutely killed it. This audiobook was life changingly great
Magen
I LOVED this book and highly recommend everyone listen to it. It is dedicated to the weirdos and it absolutely made this weirdo feel less alone in the world. Sunny is unique and probably unlike any other character you have read, which makes his story so valuable. While I did not relate to the specifics of his story, I highly related to him as a person and that internal struggle of overcoming guilt and loss. Even if you don't relate to Sunny, I believe most readers will enjoy listening to unique ...more
Cindy Dobrez
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Ghost and liked Patina and I think I may love Sunny even more than Ghost! This kid won my heart on page nine with a beautiful passage about crying and breathing and not crying and not breathing as he relates that his mother died giving birth to him. I stopped breathing for a long beat myself. And by page 41 Sunny is so nervous to confront his coach who is mad at him that he "wanted to puke myself out of myself, like blooepp and just lay there on the ground, a slimy brown ooze." Oh, Sunny ...more
DaNae
Uniquely Jason Reynolds - boys with vulnerability who don't feel the need to run from it. The diary format more closely mirrors Reynolds' poetry books. But it also keeps the reader at more of a distance to the outside world than the first two books in the series. I wanted more Ghost and Patty. As he did with Sunny in PATINA, he did set the stage for the upcoming LU book.

Just did a reread with the audio. Highly recommended.

• Ghost Boys
  • Clean Getaway
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Rebound
  • The One and Only Bob
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
  • Black Brother, Black Brother
After earning a BA in English from The University of Maryland, College Park, he moved to Brooklyn, New York, where you can often find him walking the four blocks from the train to his apartment talking to himself. Well, not really talking to himself, but just repeating character names and plot lines he thought of on the train, over and over again, because he’s afraid he’ll forget it all before he ...more

Track (4 books)