Start by marking “Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project, #3)” as Want to Read:
Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project, #3)

Impostor Syndrome

(The Arcadia Project #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  717 ratings  ·  102 reviews
In the third book of the Nebula Award–nominated Arcadia Project series, which New York Times bestselling author Seanan McGuire called “exciting, inventive, and brilliantly plotted,” Millie Roper has to pull off two impossible heists—with the fate of the worlds in the balance.

Three months ago, a rift between agents in London and Los Angeles tore the Arcadia Project apart. W
Published March 13th 2018 by Gallery / Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Impostor Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impostor Syndrome

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project, #3)
Philip
4ish stars.

A great series even if it’s kind of a mess. Is it too much to hope that this isn't the end?

I love Millie Roper. To be clear, though, it’s kind of the same way I love Quentin Clearwater, so fair warning. She's wacky, outspoken, selfish, brilliant?, manipulative, passionate, frustrating, and has a heart of gold. Sometimes. I don’t meet many characters like her. In this book, more than either of the previous ones, Baker really lets her come into her own and let loose. As a result, not o
Bradley
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's a lot to love about this UF that refuses to bow down to the usual expectations.

But then, this series does follow a *certain* set of expectations. For one, it completely relies on all types of mental illness to drive character arcs. It's not just the MC who is bipolar, who had attempted suicide, lost her legs, and yet still manages to use her head and save the day as a productive (if often very destructive) employee in a Fae (be it Seele or Unseele court) world. Ahem. Excuse me. Worlds.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
That's a very cool idea of the Seelie Court&Trial, in this one.
Q:
The white-hot need I felt to punish myself, to physically demonstrate how very deeply I knew I was horrible—it was like the voice of the siren queen. (c)
Q:
Just before dawn on Sunday I woke to find a gorgeous Greek woman in my bed. (c)
Q:
I’m all for it, absolutely. I love shattered ruins. (c)
Q:
Should we start, or should I maybe grope Tjuan a little first? Not sure of protocol. (c)
Q:
I soaked until I caught myself falling asleep and re
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/04/15/...

While I will always continue to recommend and cheer on The Arcadia Project series, this third and I think final installment was probably my least favorite. Having said that, it was well written, as the two previous books had been. Plus, we get to see the return of many of our favorite characters, both good and bad. Whether you love them or hate them, the unique and fascinating personalities that you find in these books a
Lindsay
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A return to the multiverse of the Arcadia Project with both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts divided, the Project at war with itself, and Millie and her friends right in the middle of it.

With battle lines drawn between the rebel Arcadia Project in the West Coast of the US and the headquarters in London, Dame Belinda fires the first volley in the war. During a meeting with Fae royalty, Tjuan finds out that he's now wanted for murder, because apparently someone who looked exactly like him killed som
Lexxi Kitty
It is hard to read a book in which the main character spendm a good portion of it thinking about how it'd just be easier if they were dead (well, something like that). But this is the third book in the series, and, well, Millie is still Millie . . sooo...

In this third book - the 'civil war' between branches of the Arcadia Project continues. Apparently, a little recap, all of human advancement has come from matching up humans with their fae counterparts - matching up 'Echoes' - the fae gets to th
Robyn
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A satisfying adventure with all of our friends!
Kathy
9.5/10 - Reviews at Pages Below the Vaulted Sky

So this review started out as a normal review and then it morphed into a weird self-reflection/series appreciation/review monstrosity. Because my god, Imposter Syndrome made me feel a lot of things. It's a pitch-perfect conclusion (maybe?) to a series that has wormed itself into a special place in my heart, and it left me crying for most of its latter part.

So buckle up. This might be a long one.

Following the shattering revelations at the end of book
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Arcadia Project was torn apart three months ago with half of the fey courts supporting L.A. and the other half staying loyal to London - and London is doing all it can to take out the resistance. Unfortunately, due to a backslide in her mental health, Millie is in no shape to fight. London's first move is to frame Millie's partner, Tijuan, for murder and Millie has no choice but to do all she can for him to clear his name. The
Anatoly Belilovsky
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while, you finish a book (or a series) and you sit there with a thousand yard stare. Because your world just changed, and you have to get used to living in the new one.

No, I didn't discover unseelie fey coming through my broom closet. No, I am not a sidhe prince.

Yes, there is an intersection in my Venn diagram between people I love and people with mental illness. And the Arcadia series is as close as I've seen to a how-to manual of survival: both for people with mental health iss
Paul
3.5
Enjoyable and a fast read. At a few points I thought all of the different characters vying for power was a little much. I wish I would have read it right after the second one too because I forgot a ton.
Eli
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
All the stars! ❤

Just some of the things that make this book awesome:
* very diverse complicated characters that feel very real
* believable realistic relationships
* awesome writing style
* humour :D
* magic!

The characters are so awesome and feel so human.
They are loveable and yet they screw up, sometimes in truly horrifying ways. They mess up and do awful things which you wish they didn't but you understand what drove them to it. It's never random or contrived just to fit the plotline (or create
Suz
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Although my life got in the way a lot with this book I still enjoyed it very much. I like this series and am very hopeful there will be more. it's a terribly original approach to urban fantasy and the fae.

I would love to spend more time with these inordinately real and broken characters.
Tammy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A satisfying conclusion to one of the most inventive urban fantasies out there.

Going through international airport security with two prosthetic legs and a steel plate in your head isn’t exactly a piece of cake, but it’s easier than going through with a turban.

- Millie Roper

Sheryl
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic book in this wonderful series with oh so many unique characters. This series just feels so fresh and original. And Millie is more “Millie” in this one again (after being not quite so in the last one). There’s a lot going on in this book. Fans of the series should love it. This is not a book that stands on its own, so read the previous two books before starting this one. I don’t know if there will be more in the series, but if there are, you can count me in.

The audiobook is once
Anne
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Between the fact that it'd been a while since I'd read the previous book and all the running around (so much running around) working on complicated plans I felt overwhelmed by details I couldn't clearly recall and underwhelmed by the overall momentum of the series. Fortunately, some returning characters took a turn for the delightful (Brand, Shock, and the spirit peeps [see, I can't even remember enough detail to know what they're really called]) so I was able to slog through it.

I like endings
Linda Robinson
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I sure hope this isn't the end of The Arcadia Project. Baker pulled out all Millie's stops in this 3rd book. She's a bigger mess than ever, and more powerful thereby. Baker does a great job of letting the early leads move to the back of the stage, even as she lets our hero flop into the footlights. I think I'll start at the beginning again. Amazing.
Belinda Lewis
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love this as guilt-free escapist urban fantasy.

There's something about adding larger themes of mental illness and suicide to the mix that makes me feel like I'm still being a productive human while reading it.

Also, there's fairies.
Beth
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best of the three books. I spent most of today reading, and was thrilled by the growth of Millie, even while in the midst of a crisis. The ending (no spoilers) I felt was fitting, and I can honestly say that this book will be vying for a top five spot on my reading list this year!
John Wiswell
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If this is the ending to the Arcadia series, then it's a poignant send-off. All our favorite characters from the first two books have to band together on an interdimensional journey that's half heroic quest, half psychedelic heist-spree. They dig up revelations about the nature of power both in our world and the next, as well as confronting the traumatic pasts that made them who they are. If you love Millie and Carol, you need to see this next step in their lives.

My favorite part was the amount
I love Millie. I love Mishell Baker's creative use of fairies to interact with the disability community. Demons! Griffiths! All the magic! Millie has mental (Borderline Personality) diagnoses, and she lost some of her legs during a suicide attempt. In book 1, Borderline, she is introduced to the Arcadia Project, the organization that manages between the human world and fairy world. Every volume stands alone, yet builds on the story, and I was utterly shocked at the ending. There are so many appe ...more
Maggie Gordon
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Arcadia Project series has continuously pushed the boundaries of urban fantasy, and this finale certainly gives the series a weighty, trope-busting conclusion. It's a bit of a madcap ride through a variety of odd twists and turns, but you will never be bored! Instead, you will feel fear and sorrow for favourite characters as they face some truly horrific challenges, and don't expect a HEA. This is not that kind of book. I applaud Baker for having the guts to publish a book dealing with menta ...more
Mitchell
Don't think this book is going to age well. It's just too obviously set in the current time. But it's done so well and so enjoyably. Even the subtle Groundhog Day reference was there. Confusing and somewhat a downer at times, but always pulling it out in a somewhat reasonable way. It's use of various sorts of mental illness as an attribute worked especially well in this one. A more enjoyable book than it should have been, so your mileage will probably vary. But definitely don't start with this o ...more
Tatiana
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After three disappointing reads based on reviews in library catalogues for new books, I finally thoroughly enjoyed a book. It is the third installment in the series but still great. I love the protagonist withholding all her flaws and troubles that don't stop her from being her best under the most difficult circumstances and Arcadia Project world so much. All characters are deep, truthfully developing throughout the book and I can't wait for the next book!
Soo
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

Narration was fine. The characteristics & plot points for the Fae world were great but 65% of the series is about how Millie "feels". It was ambitious attempt to have a main character with a particular series of disabilities, but I never felt like it was well established. It also doesn't help that the key points are told at the reader vs written to be experienced.
Olivia Hennis
While I really want more in this series, of course!!, I loved how well this brought it all around. I felt deeply satisfied with both the journey and the resolution of this one. It's my favorite in the trilogy. If you liked BORDERLINE and PHANTOM PAINS, this isn't going to disappoint.

Brand and Shock are my fave side characters in this series. And also, like... can we please just get Claybriar a full-body latex suit of his own? I think Millie will deeply appreciate that. :3
Jessica DiFelice (thefanaticreader)
3.5/5 stars

This was a really good conclusion to this series. I overall enjoyed Millie's character development and the plot of this. Sometimes I felt like things were dragging, and this probably could have been a little shorter, but it was enjoyable and concluded the story well.
Marissa Christenson Lang
What a disappointing conclusion to a great trilogy. The writing and characterization both took steep dives and more and more plot was added. I feel like this could have been much better if split into two books (or just drop all the trips to fairyland) and characters given room to grow and the author taking more time to write/edit.
Izzy
someone please tell me there are going to be more books

(some sort of series review will come at some point. i'm not even gonna say it'll be soon because i'm trash. but it'll happen.)
Anna
Jul 05, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: f-sf, wlw
Just a bit too bleak for me at the moment, might pick it up later.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Middlegame (Middlegame, #1)
  • The Forbidden Stars
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, #3)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3)
  • Apocalypse Nyx (Bel Dame Apocrypha #1.5, 1.7)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Space Opera
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • The Girl in the Green Silk Gown (Ghost Roads #2)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
Author of Nebula finalist/Tiptree Honor Book BORDERLINE. Repped by Russell Galen. Mother, language nerd, MH advocate, Guardian of Liberty.

The Arcadia Project (3 books)
  • Borderline (The Arcadia Project, #1)
  • Phantom Pains (The Arcadia Project, #2)

News & Interviews

“Life doesn't fit the Hollywood formula; there are no act breaks to orient you, no running times printed helpfully on the back of the box. So you do your best to line up each shot, each frame. You make sure that if this shot ends up being the last, it's damn well going to be bold or bittersweet or beautiful enough to go out on.” 2 likes