Start by marking “Spindrift and the Orchid” as Want to Read:
Spindrift and the Orchid

Spindrift and the Orchid

A girl finds herself entrenched in a dark mystery after the deaths of her parents in this fantastical novel from the author of The House of Months and Years.

When a man walks into her grandfather’s curiosity shop and asks about a black orchid, Spindrift turns him away. She’s never seen such a thing.

Until one night it appears. Spindrift, an orphan, has one keepsake from her
Published May 8th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Spindrift and the Orchid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spindrift and the Orchid

Stefan Bachmann
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(I actually read this book last year when it was still a draft, but I'm also 5 books behind on my Goodreads challenge so...)

ANYWAY, this was great. It's a fantastical MG about a girl on a quest, magical orchids, a mysterious entity inside a glass globe, disappearing relatives, and seafaring adventures. Reading it feels kind of like watching a cozy Miyazaki adventure movie. I loved it.
Mary
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This is how you tell a story. Ending was a bit abrupt, but that didn’t bother me. Good choice for middle grade fantasy/adventure fans.
Connie.Zhang2007gmail.Com
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Spindrift and Orchid very much, especially the whimsy of its descriptions and prose. However, I felt that the ending was much too sudden and unsatisfying.
Mark Buxton
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
My name is Spindrift, and I had a bad feeling about the customer in grandfather's shop asking if I'd ever seen a black orchid. I hadn't at the time, but that night a black orchid appeared in the glass ball my mother left to me. It changed into a woman who will grant me wishes, and she says there are six more hidden around the world! My grandfather has started sharing letters left by my mother before her death; she died in a shipwreck while searching for the other orchids. Then, that man returned ...more
RJ McGill
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Spindrift is 15-years-old. Since her parent's death, she has lived with her grandfather and helped out in his curiosity shop. Spindrift has one special treasure from her parents - a simple, glass orb. One night the orb changes right before her very eyes. First a beautiful black orchid forms inside the glass. Then from the bloom of the flower a woman in a dress as black as the midnight sky. The "black orchid" can grant Spindrift many wishes. . .and does! Oh, what fun she has - for a litt
Jeana Lawrence
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was more of a 3.5 for me so I rounded up. Spindrift is an orphan living with her grandfather in a curio shop. A man stops by the shop to ask for a black orchid that blooms when you look at it, but Spindrift turns him away, not realizing what he was looking for was the crystal ball that is the only remaining thing she has of her parents. By discovering the secret magic of the black orchid, Spindrift races against the man to find the last orchid but risks losing herself to an all-consuming ob ...more
Aurelia
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dozier and cozier than new flannel sheets in October while you sleep in on a Saturday and someone already brought Dunkin Donut munchkins home so you wouldn't have to get wet and the window is just a little bit open so you can smell the leaves and the season's air and the whole day will go on just like that while you watch movies or read the Chicago Tribune with a few naps tucked in and then maybe lunch with a few drinks only to come home and continue where you left off.
Eileen Winfrey
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part fantasy, part mystery, a young girl named Spindrift and her friends depart on a quest to find 6 orchid/genie type creatures that live inside small glass orbs. She discovers the strengths and weaknesses of her long-dead parents (who died while on this same quests) as well as herself. Original and interesting, perfect for your readers who like otherworldly adventure stories.
Ms.Patterson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
It took me longer than I like to get into it, and the excessive description at the beginning was not needed - but once I did, the plot was fun and interesting. Overly quick and neat wrap up at the end.
Kimberly Karalius
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The ending was wayyyy too abrupt for the wonderful world building!
Rosandra
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story's plot was original and beautifully written.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Fantasy and some great characters! I couldn’t put it down!
Naomi
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's absolutely amazing! It starts off slow, but it ends up better, and slightly creepy. I love the mix between fiction, reality, sadness, and creepiness.
Emily
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for middle grade students. I immediately connected to Spindrift and the relationship she had with her grandfather. The friendships and family relationships in this book are very well written. Even though Spindrift is an orphan, she is able to get to know her parents through the letters her mom sent to her grandfather. This book has a little but if something for everyone.
Ben K
Jan 24, 2019
Maria Wang
Dec 22, 2017
Tessa Joy
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2018