Start by marking “Lulu Is Getting a Sister: (Who WANTS Her? Who NEEDS Her?) (Lulu, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lulu Is Getting a Sister: (Who WANTS Her? Who NEEDS Her?) (Lulu, #4)

Lulu Is Getting a Sister: (Who WANTS Her? Who NEEDS Her?)

(Lulu #4)

Lulu is getting the sister she never asked for in this hilarious illustrated chapter book filled with hilarious hijinks and fiesty twists from Judith Viorst.

Lulu has received the worst. News. EVER. She’s getting…a baby sister. No one ever asked HER opinion on this debacle. But she’ll tell you anyway, because she no how, no way, no thank you wants a sibling.

Undeterred, and
Published April 24th 2018 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Lulu Is Getting a Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lulu Is Getting a Sister

The Reading Countess
Thanks to Atheneum Books for Young Readers for the free copy. All opinions are my own.

Judith Viorst is a force of literary nature. If you know kids' books, you know her name. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day, Earrings, and The Tenth Good Thing About Barney have been my personal favorites of hers for many moons, since my early days of teaching first grade. But Lulu? She wasn't on my radar since I don't pick up early readers very often anymore.

Lulu is Getting a Sister is
Nancy Kotkin
The fourth title in this humorous chapter book series. In this book, Lulu doesn't want the baby sister her parents tell her is on the way, so they send Lulu to Camp Sisterhood to learn to appreciate the joys of being a big sister. Excellent example of third-person omniscient POV, using a tongue-in-cheek narrator who claims to be writing the story. Lulu's larger-than-life personality makes her a memorable character. She manages to grow emotionally despite herself and her self-centered, spoiled na ...more
Chris
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lulu is getting older, so her books are getting longer and her troubles more involved. This time she has to practice being a big sister at a special camp for expectant siblings. She continues to be a self-absorbed contrarian, to have encounters that don't bow to her expectations, and to grudgingly learn a few lessons without drastically changing her nature. As always, lots of fun.
Peggy Dynek
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very funny book, about a challenging girl who learns she is getting a sister! Judith Viorst writes about real kids, and this gem is a hoot. Lulu is sent to summer camp to learn to be a good sister, ahead of the birth of her family's baby. Real topics like sharing, love and kindness are touched on with a light hand. Love it.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Lulu Is Getting a Sister by Judith Viorst, illustrated by Kevin Cornell, 178 pages. CHAPTER BOOK. Atheneum (Simon and Schuster), 2018. $17.

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Lulu is NOT too old for tantrums, as she clearly demonstrates when she hears that in a few short months, she will be getting a baby sister. She has been the only child for a long time now, and likes it that way, thank you very much. Her parents have
Elizabeth S
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Another fun book about the snotty, spoiled, selfish, and yet cute and endearing, Lulu. So many little things to love.

A few annoyances at the end. First, something you could probably predict by the middle of the book, namely, (view spoiler) Not to mention, (view spoiler)
Jonathan
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lulu books have always been perfect for their intended audience in my opinion. The storyline has enough humor that is rich enough to make you laugh, but not too deep to go over a young readers head and the lessons learned are clear and simple. I enjoy how Viorst inserts herself into the writing and carries on a conversation with the reader.

This book is perfect for anyone looking for a little humor, but would also be a great read for that only child who will be getting a younger sibling soon.
Katherine
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
In Lulu is Getting a Sister, Lulu is sent off to Camp Sisterhood after she takes the news of a baby sister rather poorly. At camp, Lulu is determined to be the worst big sister ever to her temporary little siblings. And she does succeed in getting sent to the office a few times. But in the end, however reluctant, however rude, however mean Lulu tries to be to her "siblings," it seems like she might be getting the hang of being an older sister.

Lulu is my spirit animal. I can't believe I hadn't s
Kellie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's been a while since the last Lulu book. I must admit that Lulu came across more bratty than sassy and lovable in this one. The storyline at the camp dragged a bit for me. I also really miss Lane Smith's illustrations. I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't even get to see Lulu with her new sister at the end of the book, or even learn her sister's name.
Pamela
There’s humor here, though the main character is selfish, conceited, and spoiled. And there’s growth. Additionally, the anxiety of learning you’re to be an older sibling soon, and navigating new circumstances at a summer camp, are both situations that will be of interest to the book’s target audience.
Ms. Arca
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I guess I shouldn’t review because I DNF. I think I just wasn’t in the mood for this one. Read most of it and then decided there were better things to do..

I am a Judith fan, was hoping her characters could still have great voice but not all be the similar pitch (whiny etc).. they’re starting to all feel the same? Maybe I’ll pick this up another time and appreciate it better. For now, eh.
Natalie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Lulu book!

This one follows Lulu's journey through Camp Sisterhood, where Lulu is a Sister In Training to prepare for the arrival of her new baby sister.

This story is full of funny situations that put Lulu right in her place. We laughed with every little mishap. Highly entertaining!
Although I think that Lulu's parents could use a lesson in parenting, and that Lulu greatly suffers from that, this book still had some redeeming qualities in that Lulu learns some important lessons about becoming a sister, and maybe even gets a taste of her own medicine in this 4th book in the series.
pati
Lulu is kind of like Junie B. Jones but on a really, really, really bad day. She is making progress to being a better person - jury still out. Probably we’ll find out next book when the new baby arrives.
Ellen
Lulu is back and she does not disappoint! What a fun read with many laugh out loud moments--I especially like Lulu's songs! Thank you for another great installment in this series! Highly recommend to fans of Junie B. Jones!
Ms. Yingling
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Public library copy.

I enjoyed Lulu Walks the Dog, but I found Lulu to be a character I sort of wanted to slap in this one. Actually, I wanted to slap her parents. Bribing her NOT to throw tantrums? Not a great plan. Perhaps she reminds me too much of the struggles I faced with my own daughters, who DID get their screen time taken away for bad behavior!
Mrs. Davi
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lulu is pretty dead set against a baby sister. I laughed out loud at a few of the moments in this quick read. Definitely a good one for a kid who might not be all that excited that their only child status is ending!
Gail
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lulu's back! I've always enjoyed the style of these books. I also like how she always comes around to learning her lesson.
Nicole
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is such a cute book!! My daughter and I couldn't resist this hilarious addition to the Lulu series!!
Heydi Smith
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Fantastically funny book about becoming a sister and going to sister camp.
Michele Knott
This may be my favorite one of the series....
Mary Lee
I love Lulu, but this one isn't my favorite.
Marisa Maloney
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My family loves this series: reading and listening to it. We listened to this in the car. Fun, silly and a great read!
Jen
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
How am I just now meeting Lulu? Where have I been? Definitely great for your Ramona/Clementine/Judy Moody/Junie B./Eloise fans.
Heidi
Feisty girl who is just fine being an only child. Adamant about having the family dynamics stay that way. A camp for sisters-to-be. Oh yes, hilarity ensures.
Lara Samuels
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Lulu is a strong character and I like her. I think this book will find an audience and I would like to read some of her other adventures.
Ellie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for older siblings. Boys and girls.
Steph
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Lulu I loved from book one is back! Laughed out loud, but there’s so much heart in this book for siblings, too!

Jaelah Boykins
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I could relate to this book a lot, which made it very enjoyable, in my opinion.
Caren
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought it was the best of the series so far.
Absolutely hilarious.
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more

Lulu (4 books)
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • Lulu's Mysterious Mission (Lulu, #3)
“It doesn’t even matter if they out-and-out abhor me, Because when I am done with them, they’ll totally adore me.” 0 likes