Start by marking “Waste of Space (Moon Base Alpha, #3)” as Want to Read:
Waste of Space (Moon Base Alpha, #3)

Waste of Space

(Moon Base Alpha #3)

New York Times bestselling series

Tensions are running high when multi-billionaire Lars Sjoburg is poisoned and demands to go home and everyone is looking to Dash Gibson to solve the case in this third and final book in the New York Times bestselling Moon Base Alpha series.

Moon Base Alpha was supposed to be an exciting place to live, but Dash didn’t expect for it to be thi
Published April 24th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Waste of Space, please sign up.
USARunner I'm sad there won't be any more. i love this series! :(

Start your review of Waste of Space (Moon Base Alpha, #3)
Mark Baker
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2018
When someone tries to poison Lars Sjoberg, no one is really surprised. This trillionaire has rubbed everyone the wrong way since he arrived on Moon Base Alpha. In fact, the real question becomes who didn’t want the man dead. Dashiell Gibson is roped into helping with the investigation. How did the poison get on base? And who tried to kill Lars?

This is another fantastic mystery for kids of all ages. The setting is creative, fun, and realistically handled. The mystery is great with good twists and
Ms. Yingling
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Dash is missing the freedom of being on Earth-- space stations are very small places, and tensions run high when everyone begins to feel cooped up. On his 13th birthday, his father takes him "outside" to play a bit of catch, but their outing is interrupted by a scream. Space tourist Lars Sjoberg has taken ill, and Chang and Dash's father realize that he has been poisoned. The station Commander, Nina, asks Dash to investigate, because she suspects Chang is a possibility.
Snazzy Reads
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm sad this is the end of the series!
Jill Berry
Not sure why Gibbs introduces a homosexual relationship between two adult men. It adds nothing to the plot and seems to be added simply to make a social statement in a book that is otherwise a great choice for advanced elementary readers. Even though there is nothing explicit, teachers and librarians should be aware of this.
Angela
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
In my honest opinion, this wasn't very well written. Maybe I just didn't how terrible the writing was in previous books, or Stuart Gibbs suddenly lost his writing ability. I mean, he can write books, but it isn't very well written. Please don't take any of my comments as hate, these are just me commenting on the book as a reader. Also, there may be a few spoilers, so be warned when reading.

Things I Didn't Like

1. When he put in extra letters to show that someone was stretching out the word.
"'
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Gibbs, Stuart Waste of Space (Moon Base Alpha #3), 321 pages. Simon & Schuster, 2018. $17. Language: G (1 swear); Mature Content: G (LGBT character); Violence: PG (non-graphic attack and danger).

Dash’s birthday has arrived and his Dad sneaks him out for a secret moon birthday celebration. Their epic game of catch is cut short, however, when someone starts screaming - someone in side the base has tried to poison the despicable Lars Sjoberg. That means that the suspect list is much too long. Comma
kenzie
Oct 03, 2018 added it
no rating because it's a middle grade book and if I used my normal rating system it would have three stars haha

one of my favorite mg authors, it's nice just to read a short and sweet book when you need a break from too much thinking
Melanie Dulaney
Dashiell, Violet, Kira and all the other Moonies are still on Moon Base Alpha and murder and mayhem once again abound amidst all the science nerds and their families. This time someone tries to do what everyone has been thinking about doing since their arrival on the moon—kill Lars Sjoberg to stop the whining, yelling, and demanding! After proving himself a capable detective in the first two installments of the series, base commander Nina actually asks Dash to do some investigating while she dea ...more
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holli Keel
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute ending. This was a fun series, and I’ll continue to read this author. Good pick for a middle grade reader.

Also, since some (very few, which is great, but still) people are upset that the author included a gay scientist in this one, I have to say that I was extremely happy he wrote it this way. Representation matters. It was a tiny part of the book, it’s for young kids, so there’s nothing racy or anything. Just a smart character who happens to be gay. Kudos to the author for that. (He also w
Kari Burke
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointing.....on so many levels. But especially because Mr. Gibbs decided it was appropriate to use a middle grade sci-fi mystery book to push an agenda on our kids. Homosexuality is not a subject I want my 8 1/2 year old to be exposed to yet- and if it was, I'd want to discuss it with her myself. I'd definitely not want to introduce the subject by having it subtly shoved down her throat in a book I consider to be nothing more than mind-candy/fluff that I let her read for fun.
Annette
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review by James, age 9, 1/5/19

This is the third book in a series about a moon base. In this book it is in the main character's birthday. For his present his dad goes onto the surface with him, which really is not allowed. But that was his present. Nina, the base commander, catches them and tells them to come inside immediately because they're violating a dozen safety codes. The dad explains that it's his son's birthday and asks for 5 more minutes. Nina says "no," and he mentions that the main ch
Hunter Satterfield
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the third and final book in the MBA series by Gibbs. I felt this was the weakest of the 12+ Gibbs's books I have read. The MBA series has less humor that the other two series by him which doesn't help when the plot of this one dragged on. I still loved the science aspect of this and the ability it has to teach middle grade readers advanced concepts in a lighthearted way. I especially thought the ending was excellent in talking about quantum physics and the potential for 4D travel.

One no
Oliver
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: absolute-crap
Not sure what everyone means when they talk about a homosexual relationship between two adults, I must of missed that. But you all should just stop focusing on that kind of stuff. I've been hearing about this stuff since I was in second grade, and honestly it's not that big of a deal the way it's brought up in this book. Hell, it's way worse in books and movies for even younger audiences. But whatever. We probably have different viewpoints on this, which is okay. Anyway, I just think everyone sh ...more
Sherry Guice
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great characters and an unexpected mystery on Moon Base Alpha. You do not have to read the other two books in order to understand this one. Though I liked this book as much, I would recommend the others. Good book for grades 4-8...
Lindsey Rowe
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 9 year old loves this series!...and shares my goodreads ;)
Hilary
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sad to see this series come to an end. We loved the characters. The audio book was excellent. I can't recommend these enough for kids 8+.
Miles
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was very well written but at then end it got a little confusing. Stuart Gibbs has done an amazing job making this book fall in accordance with his others but the end moves through to much time to quickly. I liked this book and could follow it up until the last two or so chapter.s
Brevin
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if this is the end of the series, but if it is, it's the perfect ending!
Ben
Apr 06, 2020 added it
The theme of this book is to trust your gut because it's usually right.
Anthony_D2
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The magnificent grand finale of the series of Moon Base Alpha. This time the main character, Dashiell, one of the very first people to live on the moon, runs into a very tricky murder case once again! The billion on the moon, Lars, is poisoned and nearly killed! Dash is tasked to find the murder. But as if that wasn't enough, the oxygen system on the base is quickly failing and the whole base has to evacuate!
Theme: Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, m
Michelle
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My son who is 9 years old loved this book, the newest installment of the Moon Base Alpha series. He said it was interesting and a good science fiction. He highly recommends it!
Marilyn B
Not as fantastic as the first one, but I really like Stuart Gibbs’ style. He writes really likeable, head-strong, smart, and yet believable (pre) teenagers.
Yaseen Soliman
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another great book written by Stuart Gibbs. This book is about a trillionaire named Lars Soberjurg who was poisoned on the moon and nobody knows who it is because many people do not like him. When he was poisoned, everybody was led to believe he was poisoned by accident, but it turns out he was actually poisoned on purpose. The head of the moon base asks Dash Gibson for help figuring out who was the murderer. Dash Gibson suffered many dangers such as getting his air tank removed from his ...more
Deborah
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another AMAZING book in the MBA series by Stuart Gibbs. This one I listened to with my 16 years old via Audible and we were riveted the whole time it took for our road trip.
Bookdragonqueenljs22
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was by far the best book in the series I loved all the action packed twists and turns and the characters you easily fall in love with this is definitely one of my favorite book I read🙂🥰😃😁😌I was satisfied with how it all rapped up.
♥Reema Gupta♥
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The ending was soo cutee. I loved this book. too bad this was the last book though this was my favorite series from him. But he found a really good way to end the series
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very sad for this series to be over, but what a great ending!
Eoin Garvin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book was good. I think it was better than the other 2 MBA books in the series. So why only 2 stars? Gibbs makes it a point in his story to show his view and support for the homosexual community. It's only 2 pages. But this is a kids book. Whatever your views are on homosexuality, keep it out of kids books. It's not something they should be talking about. Or reading about.
Michelle
Dec 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Okay, here is what took this potentially "kid-centric sci-fi thriller" to a Waste of Space for me:

You do NOT put a just-turned-13-today boy and his 12-year-old friend into a room alone with an adult male character who announces his homosexuality, then names his partner (though any romantic relationships are not permitted in the book) then describes the difficulties of having a homosexual relationship in tight quarters under the eye of NASA with this partner. You just DON'T. (Oh, then ask the kid
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Level 13 (Slacker, #2)
  • City Spies
  • Supergifted (Ungifted, #2)
  • Vanished! (Framed #2)
  • Framed! (Framed #1)
  • Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America
  • Payback (Masterminds, #3)
  • Trapped! (Framed #3)
  • Criminal Destiny (Masterminds, #2)
  • Codename Zero (The Codename Conspiracy #1)
  • The Fourth Stall (The Fourth Stall, #1)
  • The Fourth Stall Part II (The Fourth Stall, #2)
  • Never Say Genius (The Genius Files, #2)
  • Don't Care High
  • Slacker (Slacker, #1)
  • Ungifted (Ungifted, #1)
  • Mission Unstoppable (The Genius Files, #1)
  • War Stories

Moon Base Alpha (3 books)
  • Space Case (Moon Base Alpha, #1)
  • Spaced Out (Moon Base Alpha #2)