Start by marking “The Clarity” as Want to Read:
The Clarity

The Clarity

Dr. Matilda Deacon is a psychologist researching how memories are made and stored when she meets a strange eleven-year-old girl named Ashanique. Ashanique claims to harbor the memories of the last soldier killed in World War I and Matilda is at first very interested but skeptical. However, when Ashanique starts talking about being chased by the Night Doctors—a term also us ...more
Published February 20th 2018 by Atria/Leopoldo Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Clarity, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Taryn
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
How could a child born in 2007 remember dying in World War I? When Ashanique turns eleven years old, her mind is suddenly flooded with memories she couldn’t possibly have. Dr. Matilda Deacon is fascinated by Ashanique's case. She has interviewed seventy-five people who remember previous lives and has been skeptical of all their stories, but none of them have ever presented like Ashanique. In her desperation to study the girl, Matilda gets involved in something much more complex and dangerous tha ...more
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
Thank you so much to Atria Books for providing my free copy - all opinions are my own.

Ashanique Walters is an eleven-year-old girl who is inundated with traumatic memories of the past life of a WWI soldier. She comes across a psychologist, Matilda Deacon, who specializes in the secrets of human memory and is fascinated by Ashanique‘s case. When Matilda makes a fallacious decision, things become more complicated than she could have ever imagined.

As soon as I saw this book is for fans of Black M
Edward Lorn
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up and here's why.

Keith Thomas's THE CLARITY reads like the very best of Dean Koontz's output, the mid-career stuff, like LIGHTNING and THE BAD PLACE and HIDEAWAY and TWILIGHT EYES, and, yes, even WATCHERS. It has government conspiracies and unstoppable assassins and mind control and laboratory testing gone wild! The only thing it's missing is a super-intelligent Golden Retriever; thank fuck for that! These are all good things in my book. In fact, I'd double down and say that K
The Shayne-Train
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
"WHERE IS FIFTY-ONE?"

A nail-bitingly suspenseful and whip-smart novel about human experimentation that resulted in certain individuals, called "Nulls,' being able to (or being forced to, depending on your point of view) relive previous lives.

The writing is so excellent in this book, both of the thrilling "present day" happenings of a Null and her daughter trying to escape the attention of the clandestine government group that conducted the aforementioned experiments, and most especially the ita
Steven
Thanks to the publisher, Atria Books, and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I stumbled across this Read Now book on Netgalley and took a shot, and I'm glad I did. This was a fast-paced thriller that after the initial setup was basically nonstop action. It was such an interesting concept and was well-plotted. While I don't think the characters were as deep or developed as I would have liked, and the past lives thing didn't take as much of the forefront as exp
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I'm not even sure where to begin with this one. I absolutely love the concept of this. Medical experimentation allowing some to be able to remember past lives. A young girl "gifted" with this ability who is being chased by a murderer named Rade who wants a secret hidden in these memories that only Ash (the young girl) can seem to provide. The author takes us on an action packed excursion.

I did enjoy the past memories as Ash pummels into them. While Ash and Matilda (her guardian) were interesting
Jessica
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cjsreads
Thanks to Atria for the advanced ebook copy in exchange for my honest review.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect going into this one, but damn, that cover had me instantly intrigued. THE CLARITY by Keith Thomas is one that is still hard to wrap my head around. It really keeps you thinking and engaged throughout the novel. Medical thrillers are always interesting to me, with how fast technology is improving in the medical field a lot of these don't seem too farfetched.

Dr. Matilda Deacon has be
Stefani
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Susana Silva
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I seriously struggled to get through this. I just did not care about the characters even a little bit. The "love story" seemed to come out of nowhere, and seemed seriously out of place. It was honestly like the writer suddenly remembered that there should be some romantic interest and threw it in there.

As for the program and the "solution"? They weren't even slightly original, interesting, or mysterious.

And the ending? Vague, rushed, and unsatisfying.
Heather Fineisen
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A fantastical and imaginative premise had me intrigued but it didn't quite work for me. Past lives and DNA are put to the test with experiments on orphans. A lot to think about as the brain is so complex. Conspiracies abound and our main subjects don't know who to trust. A weak flicker of romance and multiple dead bodies make for a fast read that fails to deliver.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
Derek Patz

Dr. Matilda Deacon finds herself the protector of Ashanique. An adolescent with a gift that allows her to see other peoples past lives. Rade an assassin with the same gift believes that Ashanique has the cure to her gift. Chased by both an assassin that is part of an old government conspiracy. Matilda and Ashanique are on the run with very few people to turn to.

Most people will find this on "books similar to Stephen King". However, that is not the case. Project Clarity in some ways reminds you
Lane
Wow, wow, wow, this book was excellent.

Ashanique is an eleven-year-old girl with the memories of those that have lived before her, going back hundreds of years. Matilda is a scientist that is studying how to preserve memory. When the group that created those like Ashanique come looking for the answers to a cure, the two must rely on each other to survive.

I'll admit, there were aspects about the science that I didn't really understand, and think that it was presented a little confusingly. But w
Mel
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ummm how is no one talking about this?? It rings LOUDLY if MR Carey’s Girl with All the Gifts. I was shocked by how cool this was. The science of memory is studied in test subjects under Project Clarity, one in particular is being hunted just after her daughter has discovered her ability to “read” memories many generations old. A psychologist discovers the strange behavior of the girl and is forced to team up with her to keep them both alive. Wow! Impossible to say more without including spoiler ...more
Michelle
This book had an interesting concept but the payoff wasn't enough for me. There were several leaps that I had to swallow and I wasn't so invested in the characters. It seemed a little Dan Brown-ish in the conspiracy/chase storyline, so those fans might like it more than I did.
Tyler Olmsted
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ashanique has special powers. She can see into the memories of lives she's never lived. She remembers dying in the World War, as a blindsided young soldier. She remembers a primitive family who lived millions of years ago. But her memories are the result of a top-secret government experiment conducted by an agency known as HED, and a desperate rogue assassin will stop at nothing to wipe away the proof.
Ashanique and her guardian Matilda, a scientist studying how our brains form and retain memori
OutlawPoet
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know how I can tell when an author did his job? When I stop reading and go to the web to look up something he uses in his plot - and not to prove him wrong, but out of pure fascination.

In this case, it was the Night Doctors. My Creole family didn't have this story and I simply had to find out all about it. And if you haven't learned about them, look it up. It's chilling.

As for The Clarity, this was an enjoyable fast read. The author took a very interesting scientific concept and expanded it
Laura Rash
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This hits all the crazy criteria for a fast paced novel including assassins & memory programming. The memory stuff kind of gave me the chills in description. Really fast paced.
Thanks to Atria for this early copy:)
Diana
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sporadically interesting.
Wit & Wonder Books
**ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review**

I am completely mind blown right now! The Clarity by Keith Thomas has left me in this crazy baffled state and I am not even sure where to begin. While I believe this book is meant to be a standalone novel, it definitely left an opening at the end for a possible sequel, or second book, so we shall see.

Dr. Matilda Deacon is a psychologist who researches people’s memories, and their connection to past lives, while also acting as a socia
Wdmoor
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Two stars. Promising beginning, disastrous finish.

Does anyone have any idea what chapter 66 was about?

This book played fast and loose with gender and identity politics for absolutely no reason at all. None of it advanced the plot...none of it. Suddenly there was a tran character...so what? It had nothing to do with anything except pad the book a couple pages and was pandering and distasteful the way it was done.

I finished this book not happy.
Danielle Urban
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Clarity by Keith Thomas is an interesting read combining fictional elements and nonfictional information together. The frightening parts about experimental portions were based on some real experiences that did really happen to people. The characters were okay. But no emotional attachment that made me want to really connect with them. I thought they were fine but but not were Inwould be talking bout how great they were. The plot was gruesome, dark, and intense as was expected with some of the ...more
Staceyj
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unique and awesome. Kept me up until 3am to finish it.
Casey Phillips
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
In my search of short, scary novels leading into Halloween, this one was suggested. It's not so much scary, but more of a suspenseful, gruesome sci-fi read. It is pretty interesting and entertaining. Open ending that could lead into a sequel. I would definitely read the 2nd.
Jenni
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Well gosh, this certainly was a book that someone wrote.
Nancy
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Somewhat disturbing images came to mind as I was reading this book, BUT, I could not put it down. I liked this book and am going to recommend it to my daughter.
Paul Pessolano
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
“The Clarity” by Keith Thomas, published by Atria Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – February 20, 2018.

Trust me this book is not for the feint hearted or the squeamish. Suffice it to say that Rade is a bad dude and is responsible for many murders and uses a cheese grader in one murder.

Dr. Matilda Deacon is a psychologist and is working on memory. She meets a young girl, Ashanique, who is able to recall things that happened years ago, she can recall the last person, by name, who
Belinda
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you know what this book has? The badest bad character around! No aploogies, and no remorse; a deadly killer is coming and you'd better watch out! A great book with a scientific touch.

For more suggestions on books to read and reviews, check out my Facebook page BELINDA'S BOOK CLUB VLOG.
Annie
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Clarity, by Keith Thomas, is the kind of book that really wants to be a screenplay. The science fiction premise is only cursorily explored. The rampaging bad guy is described in almost loving detail. The chapters are short and packed with gun fights. I think this will be a great read for those who want a thrill. For those of us who wanted to know more about the possibility of reawakening ancestral memories, The Clarity is disappointing...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I receiv
Angela Gibson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book and enjoyed the first quarter of it. After that, the book fell apart for me. The plot became convoluted, the many character POVs were disjointed and confusing, motivations weren't clear, and significant villains were sidelined until the end of the book.

This book held so much promise.
Jen
Mar 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was really enjoying this book until about half way through when the antagonist of the novel began to use a cheese grater on the skin of a woman to torture her into giving up the location of her little girl. Nope. I’m done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lyon's Legacy  (Catalyst Chronicles, #1)
  • Hollywood Ending (Detective by Day #2)
  • The Woman Trapped in the Dark
  • Dido's Crown
  • The Rending and the Nest
  • Heartbreaker
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Whitechapel Vampire
  • Fourth Dimension (The Rule of Three, #4)
  • The Sea Beast Takes a Lover: Stories
  • The Infinite Future
  • The History of the Future: Oculus, Facebook, and the Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality
  • Bad Boy Boogie
  • The Man on the Ceiling
  • The Wild Inside
  • Blue Light Yokohama (Inspector Iwata, #1)
  • Wicca Candle Magick
  • Beneath London (Narbondo, #9)
  • Cold Heart (Stella Lavender Mystery, #2)