Start by marking “The Wicked Deep” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Deep

The Wicked Deep

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  17,574 ratings  ·  4,332 reviews
Welcome to the cursed town of Sparrow…

Where, two centuries ago, three sisters were sentenced to death for witchery. Stones were tied to their ankles and they were drowned in the deep waters surrounding the town.

Now, for a brief time each summer, the sisters return, stealing the bodies of three weak-hearted girls so that they may seek their revenge, luring boys into the
Published March 6th 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Deep, please sign up.
Vicky Who Reads I would probably say in between PG & PG-13, depending on how "the movie" was made. I think it's definitely suitable for readers 13+, and probably…moreI would probably say in between PG & PG-13, depending on how "the movie" was made. I think it's definitely suitable for readers 13+, and probably a few 12 year olds too.

There's a non-explicit, fade to black-ish sex scene as well as some darker themes about hanging accused witches, etc. etc. If a teen's able to handle the Salem Witch Trials, I think this would novel would be suitable for them. (less)
Vicky Who Reads After reading it & the ending, I don't think there's much room for sequel books & there probably won't be. A far stretch would be a possible…moreAfter reading it & the ending, I don't think there's much room for sequel books & there probably won't be. A far stretch would be a possible prequel novella, but I don't really think any additional books are necessary.

So, a standalone, to answer your question.(less)

·  17,574 ratings  ·  4,332 reviews

Start your review of The Wicked Deep
Emma Giordano
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars. Unfortunately, I did not love this book as much as I wanted to.

CW: murder, drowning, suicide

There is one thing I absolutely loved about this book: the atmosphere. I made a fantastic choice in listening to the audiobook – the narrator added to the story in the best way. The chilling, spooky setting of this recluse town with a magical history kept me engaged even when I did not care for the characters and plot. This book was pitched as similar to “Hocus Pocus” and while the storylines
Melanie

“It starts as a low croon that rolls in with the tide, a sound so faint it might just be the wind blowing through the clapboard shutters, through the portholes of docked fishing boats, and into narrow cracks along sagging doorways. But after the first night, the harmony of voices become undeniable. An enchanting hymn sailing over the water’s surface, cool and soft and alluring. The Swan sisters have awakened.”

Friends, if you’re looking for something atmospheric, spooky, and completely
Zainab
If I could give this book a thousand stars I swear to God I would.
Where do I begin? The story is friking magical that's for one. I know it sounds cliche but it is magical. It felt like I was thrown into this one beautiful-slightly haunting- supernatural world and I just did not want to get out. If I had the opportunity I'd never leave the friking place-no joke.
The story is of three 'witches' who were drowned by a town(well, the people of the town) in the 19th century mainly because the guys
megs_bookrack
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Wicked Deep is by far the most eerily beautiful book I have read in a long time.

It's hard to express the overall feeling of reading this. It's hella atmospheric and immersive.

This is a story I can see myself revisiting for years to come.

I'm like...

The Wicked Deep has received a lot of hype and in this case, I feel it is well deserved.
Going in, I wanted one thing:

ATMOSPHERE.

The author delivered that in spades. Her descriptions of the small seaside town of Sparrow, Oregon, of the island,
Lola
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: witches, mystery
3.5 stars. This is the story of three long-dead witches who come back every summer in the bodies of Sparrow girls to drown boys and the only girl in town who may be able to lift the curse.

This is an exquisitely atmospheric book. The subject matter is, of course, dark, but the way the author presents the town and its curse feels almost magical.

Even though such a curse pertains to the fantasy world and is therefore not a realistic element, I believed everything inside this story. Not once did I
jessica
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow. okay. so first it was a book about rival viking clans, and now its a story about sister witches dying for revenge. how is it that im enjoying all the books i swore i would hate!? i guess all the times i said ‘new year, new me’ made it come true. lolol.

the absolute strength of this book lies in its atmosphere. its not exactly enchanting, because the story is actually quite dark. but there is something so captivating about a haunted sea-side town, a two century old curse, and three witches
Julie Zantopoulos
Two centuries ago three sisters were drowned in the harbor off Sparrow Island after being charged with witchcraft. Ever since then during the Swan Season, a period of time between June 1st and the end of the month, the three sisters return to the island by claiming the body of three young girls. With those bodies, the sisters each lure a boy to their death, exacting revenge on the town that murdered them.

The town has become a tourist destination for those twisted enough to want to join the
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I’ve been tossing back and forth all day between a 4 and a 5 over this one, so I think I’m just gonna be that guy and go with a 4.5. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. This was the most beautiful and atmospheric book I’ve read in ages. The setting of this book was PERFECTION and I want 383738251929 books set here, STAT. I will say though, the reason that I was hmmmming so much over my rating is because I saw everything coming in this one. Nothing surprised me at all, but I still loved it and enjoyed ...more
Katerina
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Melancholic, eerie and deeply atmospheric!

Sparrow, Oregon.
1823.
The Lady Astor arrives in the gloomy town of Sparrow, carrying the Swan sisters. Exotic, elegant and sensual, Marguerite, Aurora and Hazel Swan rattle the foundations of the close-knit society with their numerous dalliances and scandalous affairs with men that are not available. Whispers about potions and hexes become cries and screams, and the town of Sparrow finds them guilty of witchcraft in a desperate attempt to defend all
Sabrina
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
“This is how they do it—how the sisters are freed from their brackish grave. They steal three bodies and make them their own. And this season, they do it swiftly.”

3.5/5

I was in a mood for a book that had witches and a good plot and this book was exactly it.
The story was so original!

It starts a bit slow but after the first 4 chapter the story begins and awesome things starts to happen.

For me the best part of the book was the writing, I’m in love with it.
“Love is an enchantress—devious and
Samantha
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! You want a nice Halloween books that’s not too spooky and reminiscent of Hocus Pocus? This is your jam.
alana ♡
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy

This book was SO much fun.

First of all, you need to understand if you say the word witches I am sold. No questions asked, I want the book. Now, add three sisters accused of witchcraft who come back for revenge *ahem, Hocus Pocus vibes anyone?* and I am so sold there is no possible way I could dislike this book. Yet somehow, I still managed to be blown away by this.
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Do not be fooled by the quotes people are using in their reviews for this book. Those quotes will make you think that you are going to get a dark and twisted and impactful story about magic and revenge. I think this book wanted to be about those things, but what THE WICKED DEEP actually ended up being was on par with what you'd get if you'd asked Stephenie Meyer to rewrite The Craft.

The Swan sisters (see, TWILIGHT) were three beautiful,
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this Arc from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This read like a wicked sort of fairy tale - beautifully gruesome and so atmospheric it's almost like you're there in the small island town. I was changing my mind about this up until the very end because every time I was sure about something there would be another reveal that changed everything - totally unique.
Kayla Dawn
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
The love story was a bit too much and happened too fast but other than that I really enjoyed this book. The story itself is quite unique and especially the atmosphere was on point!
There were a few too many metaphors for my taste. Those made this whole thing feel a bit pretentious at times but that's just something I personally don't like.

The twist was kind of obvious but that didn't bug me that much. It was still really interesting and the plot didn't feel any less intriguing because of that.
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Magic is not always formed from words,
from cauldrons being spiced
or black cats strolling down dark alleys.
Some curses are manifested from desire or injustice.

Story
Many years ago three girls lived in Sparrow. They were beautiful, enchanting and were making the men of Sparrow go crazy.
Their names were Aurora, Marguerite and Hazel Swan.
The people of Sparrow believed the three girls to be witches - so they drowned them in the sea.
Every year from this day on the swan sisters returned to the
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was quite a fun book and I'm always up for a witchy tale. But parts of it really annoyed me (like the insta love). Still, I definitely think it's worth the read. It's quite atmospheric and I enjoyed the writing style a lot. There were a few twists I didn't see coming which kept me wanting to read to the end.
Carrie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Two centuries ago in the small town of Sparrow three sisters were accused of being witches and put to death. The residents of the town tied stones to their ankles and drowned them in the deep waters that surrounded the town. Each years since their deaths the sisters have returned to the small town for a period of a couple of weeks to seek their revenge upon the town by inhabiting the bodies of local young women to tempt the young men of the town to their own death.

Seventeen year old Penny
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Wicked Deep is a young adult fantasy written by Shea Ernshaw. It will be published on 3/6/18 by Simon Pulse, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, 320 pages. The genres are young adult, fantasy, paranormal, witches, and fiction. This book is intended for readers ages 14 and up, grades 9 and up.

My Experience: I started reading The Wicked Deep on 11/10/17 and finished it on 11/15/17. This book has a fantastic love story! I like the mystery to the legend. I like the cover and the art at
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
4.5/5

I can't believe I read this whole thing in one afternoon!
This is the first time in a long time that I've read a whole book in a day and it feels amazing!

I honestly enjoyed this more than I thought I was going to

It was so interesting, imaginative, enchanting, atmospheric and spooky and I was hooked from the start. It was so addictive to read, and I just didn't want to do anything else until I'd finished it

It was such a marvellous book, and I think it might be going on a list of my
Bren
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love the Sea.
Recommended to Bren by: Kelly
― Shea Ernshaw, The Wicked Deep

Before I say anything else..the cover art for this book is exquisite. The Wicked Deep, which I finished a short time ago, was quite a read. It left me a bit in awe of this writer's talent as well as shaken up at the pure beauty of the writing.

This is what they mean when they say "poetry of words". The writing here is..well I do not even
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
--4.5 stars--

I deadass just finished this book in one sitting. It was a short and very addictive read, thoroughly enjoyable. I really loved the concept and the atmospheric nature of the setting.

I also noticed a lot of interesting commentary in this book, like how the "witches" were basically unfortunate victims of slut-shaming, and how this curse that was tied with their deaths became pretty much a spectacle for the town. Like, the citizens, as well as tourists, would throw celebrations and
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, 2018-books
Love is an enchantress-- devious and wild.

Well goddamn this book took me by surprise. I read and finished this book roughly a week ago. I was so conflicted on how I felt about it, that I couldn't formulate a proper review or even rate it. But now, sitting on these thoughts and how this book made me feel, I don't think I'll ever come to a concrete conclusion.

But boy oh fucking boy.

This book was so slow,
Ronak Gajjar
"Love is an enchantress—devious and wild.
It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat."

This wasn’t much wicked though! I beg to differ certainly. Well, what are the chances? Of course another love story! *Sighs* I thought for once it will be all witchy juju which will allure me off but this love story:
description
Okay, beyond sarcasm it was awful!
Concept: 1.50/5.0
Writing Style:
Nasom
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review

“Love is an enchantress — devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat”

Plot : Three sisters accused of being witches centuries ago, for their ability to easily seduce married men, were drowned in a town called sparrow. Because of what was done to them, every year for three weeks starting in June 1st until the summer solstice, they possess three bodies of girls in the town, seduce young men and then drown them.

The book is
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

OMG OMG, I'm not sure how to start with this review, this book is INCREDIBLE.
So long ago I didn't read a book that made me feel that way, as full of feelings, I feel like my heart is going to explode or something like that lol. I'm certainly in love with this book, it's so atmospheric that you can really feel yourself inside it, I'm impressed

5/5 Stars

You can find this one and more of my reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

The book focuses on the story of a curse that began with three sisters
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
The witches are back. And there's hell to pay.
description

Although Marguerite, Aurora, and Hazel Swan were drowned many moons ago, these wicked sisters still come back every summer to haunt the little town of Sparrow. A town where their souls will forever be rooted because this is the town that took their lives.

These young women were accused of practicing witchcraft and drowned to death, and as long as their souls still haunt the waters surrounding Sparrow: the Swan sisters will come back every year,
Kristen
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
10/2/18 - You can download this book for free from Riveted until October 31st! If you have any inkling of interest in this gorgeous debut, do not pass this opportunity up!!

I cannot believe how good this was! I feel like the wind was just knocked out of me. I'm speechless! Please let this become a movie! Please let this become a movie! Please let this become a movie! *clicks my ruby slippers together as many times as it takes*

I'm going to try to settle down here for a second so that I can try to
Anja H.
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4 ATMOSPHERIC STARS*

The writing was excuisite, the story was unique, the ending was beautiful. I loved it all!
BUT! I saw most of the plot twists coming from a mile away. That however was not my biggest turnoff because everything was really well executed until the very end and managed to keep me invested.
It was the insta-love that made me lower my score... We all
Emer (A Little Haze)
This book has offended me on so many levels.

Bland AF.
Insipid characters. I mean did the author actually forget to give anyone a uniquely identifying personality because she was so obsessed with creating this mysterious spooky atmosphere?? Well the atmosphere was bland AF too. I'm sorry, but where was the tension????

The plot was utterly predictable, practically signposted to each plot development.

Also casually offensive.

First up was the let's just insinuate that all Irish people are ugly...

• House of Salt and Sorrows
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Sadie
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)

Shea Ernshaw is the New York Times Bestselling author of THE WICKED DEEP and WINTERWOOD. She is a 2019 Oregon Book Award winner and her debut novel, The Wicked Deep, was an Indie Next Pick.
She often writes late, late, late into the night, enjoys dark woods, scary stories and moonlight on lakes.

You can connect with her here:
www.sheaernshaw.com.
www.twitter.com/SheaErnshaw
“Love is an enchantress—devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat.” 67 likes
“We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under.” 37 likes