Start by marking “The Elizas” as Want to Read:

The Elizas

When debut novelist Eliza Fontaine is found at the bottom of a hotel pool, her family at first assumes that it’s just another failed suicide attempt. But Eliza swears she was pushed, and her rescuer is the only witness.

Desperate to find out who attacked her, Eliza takes it upon herself to investigate. But as the publication date for her novel draws closer, Eliza finds more
Published April 17th 2018 by Atria Books

Jasmine from How Useful It Is
The Elizas Review & Blog Tour

About: The Elizas is a mystery thriller written by Sara Shepard. It was recently published on 4/17/18 by Atria Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, 352 pages. The genres are adult, mystery, thriller, and fiction.

My Experience: I started reading The Elizas on 3/26/18 and finished it on 4/7/18. This book is an okay read. I like the glimpse into the author’s experience when comes to publishing a book. I smile following the discussion between Eliza and her age
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. I just could not get into this book. I did a mixture of skimming and plowing through on sheer grit and determination. I didn't like the main character, Eliza (in fairness, I'm not sure I was really supposed to like her), I found her poor decisionmaking wincingly painful to read about, and I thought the plot dragged badly and needed to be tightened up.

I did find the "Dots" chapters (excerpts from Eliza's novel) interesting - it was pretty clear to me early on that Aunt Dorothy (view s
Book of Secrets
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars → THE ELIZAS is a dual narrative featuring Eliza, a young author who's about to have her first novel published, and Dot, the main character in her book. Eliza is a troubled individual, both her past and present self. I found her irritating at times, but I understood her current paranoia. When she's pulled from the bottom of a swimming pool yet again, her family is convinced it's another suicide attempt, but Eliza thinks she was pushed in. Whose story is to be believed?

And then there's
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

Eliza and Dot - one is a real person, and the other is a character in Eliza’s book.

The similarities are striking and a bit confusing.

We follow both Eliza and Dot as they move through situations both in real life and in Eliza's book.

The book begins as Eliza was pulled out of a swimming pool, and no one believes that it was an accident since she previously tried to commit suicide. Doctors and family members also question her story and her memory about many things, but are they just trying to make
Trina (Between Chapters)
This is one of the strangest things I've ever read.

It took me quite a while to get into but then I got to a point where I couldn't put it down.

I hated how Eliza constantly insulted the main male character's appearance and personality but then we were supposed to believe she liked him.

I loved the dual narrative between Eliza's real life and her novel. You discover parts of the mystery in her life as you read sections from her book.

You may like this if you enjoy unreliable narrators.

Potential tr
Amy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I’m a huge fan of Pretty Little Liars, both the books and the show (the books were better, duh) but I haven’t read anything else from Shepherd since the final installment of that series and that was quite a few years ago, so naturally I was very excited to read one of her adult novels to see if she could still reel me in with something with a bit more maturity. While overall this was an entertaining, easy read it didn’t have that bite, that sharpness that I need in a “grown up” thriller.

There WA
Chloe
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Novelist Eliza was discovered one night in a pool and her family assumes it’s one more of her many suicide attempt resulting due to the tumor in her brain. Eliza though is pretty sure she was pushed and is confident that somebody is stalking her. Soon Eliza enlists the help of a friend that rescued her and tries to piece back the events of that night. But reality and fiction collide and Eliza is unable to differentiate between her novel and her real life.

Sara Shepard has a way of drawing out the
Crime by the Book
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Full review to come! This is a lighter suspense novel that will work well for readers who typically prefer YA, but are looking to branch out into adult suspense! I enjoyed this book's drama and lighter tone, but I don't think this will deliver a satisfying read for those who are avid psychological thriller readers. This one is probably best suited to fans of Shepard's YA novels.
Darinda
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
When Eliza is found in a hotel pool, she claims she was pushed, but her family thinks it was another one of her suicide attempts. That's right, another attempt. It seems Eliza has made several suicide attempts. Eliza has a hard time convincing anyone that someone pushed her, so she investigates on her own.

Eliza is dealing with two main issues in this story. One, she was found in a pool. She can't swim, and her family believes she tried to kill herself, but Eliza is convinced someone pushed her.
Dennis
Full disclosure: I haven't read Pretty Little Liars, nor have I seen the hit television series. Like everybody else in the universe, I have heard of Sara Shepard and was very excited to pick up The Elizas when my dear friend Tracy sent me a copy. Eliza Fontaine is an unreliable narrator (yes!) and debut novelist who was found at the bottom of the Tranquility Hotel pool and rushed to the Emergency Room. Her family is quick to pronounce the episode as a suicide attempt, but as Eliza recovers, sh ...more
Jamie
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
This just honestly did not work for me. I found myself not loving either Eliza’s story or her novel, The Dots and when they finally came together, I kind of just said oh well, that’s interesting, I guess. Which is never the feeling you want when getting to the twist. And then, there was another 25% left in the book. The word count definitely could have been cut down here. I am a huge fan of the PLL series and The Lying Game series, too, but sad to report this one wasn’t for me.

I received an adv
Gare Billings
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Eliza Fontaine is a trainwreck. That's how the story begins. Found at the bottom of a pool in a drunken stupid with a belly full of vodka is how this twisted tale begins. I found the opening to be rather frantic and oozing of panic, which was a great way to lead the story of this heavily psychological melodrama featuring a novel within a novel. Eliza Fontaine is not a likable or reliable character and that really fit well within this story for me. That being said, some things with this novel rea ...more
Andie

Having been a fan of the Pretty Little Liars series, I was really excited to jump into the authors newest standalone suspense novel. Eliza is truly an unreliable narrator and wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still managed to really enjoy the story once the plot thickened! The constant questioning of what's reality and what is simply in Eliza's head is what drove me to continuously think about the book once I had set it aside for the night.

While the jumping back and forth between the
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
My friends told me to read and/or watch Pretty Little Liars.. and I just never got around to it.. soon... SOON! But until then, I was thrilled to get a copy of Sara Shepard's The Elizas! What an interesting and head spinning novel!

The book in a book feel was a little confusing at first. I was actually almost irritated by it at first but as it became clear why it was being incorporated, it began to make more sense and I was almost looking forward to The Dots more than The Elizas... but then... wa
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Not what I expected.
The Library Ladies
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, thriller
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

This may come as a surprise to you guys given my predilection for soapy and thrilling mysteries, but I never actually read the “Pretty Little Liars” series by Sara Shepard. I DID read the first book in her series “The Lying Game”, but didn’t feel a need to go on for five more books and instead opted to spoil myself thanks to wikis and Internet sleuthing. I think that knowing that there were LOTS of books in each series didn’t bode well, as in my exp
Kristy
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Eliza Fontaine heads to Palm Springs and finds herself at the bottom of the hotel pool. Eliza can't swim, and her family assumes this was yet another one of Eliza's failed suicide attempts, as she has a history of winding up at the bottom of swimming pools. But Eliza swears this time was different; yes, she was drinking that evening, but she's sure someone pushed her, even if she can't remember exactly how she wound up at the pool or even the hotel bar. The sole witness is the man who rescued he ...more
Book Pairings (Laci Long)
I decided to DNF this one. I’ll write a full review to elaborate.
Kathy Davie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A standalone psychological thriller of a story for adults and revolving around the primary Eliza and her paranoia. But then, you know what they say, are you really paranoid if it’s true?

My Take
This is a horrible story. Horrible and yet good. I’d give it a “5”, except I hate the protagonist. And that isn’t really fair. But I gotta say I struggled through the first 60-some percent of the story, as Eliza was so offputting. I wanted to strangle her myself.

AND, I’m glad I persisted, if only to discov
Wit & Wonder Books
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Sara Shepard is famous for her Pretty Little Liars series but her upcoming standalone The Elizas is sure to be just as big a hit.

Novelist Eliza Fontaine is rescued from the bottom of a pool and her family assumes it is just another suicide attempt. Eliza is insistent that she was pushed, but as she sets about to find out who did it and why she questions the motives of everyone around her. Her family, editor and agent all seem to be mixing up e
Elyssa (Elyssa's Editions)
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
3.5 stars-- If you are a fan of unreliable narrators, look NO FURTHER than this one. This may be as unreliable as they come. This book follows Eliza, soon-to-be published debut author while she deals with the fact that she woke up in the bottom of a pool and cannot swim, so someone is trying to kill her. The chapters in Eliza’s life are set side-by-side with chapters from her book. Ultimately, what is she to believe happened to her and what should we believe as the reader?

This book is by the aut
Kayla
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Although this book was completely confusing and mind boggling, I still found it really entertaining although I can't sit here and tell you that this was the best mystery thriller book I've read.
ReadOff
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Predicting and boring. I wanted to dnf it, but I managed to finish it. I did like the ending tho, but I would not reread this, or pick it up in the first place if I knew it would be this boring.
Daniel Balici
I rarely rate a book below three stars, perhaps because I inwardly appreciate the laborious work the author has put into crafting the story regardless of my positive or less positive opinion of it. At already a quarter of the way through Sara Shepard's newest publication, I was unimpressed and slightly annoyed at the double storyline, especially that featuring Dot as the protagonist. Structurally, The Elizas is constituted of two pieces of writing: the book per se and several chapters from The D ...more
Diabolica
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Despite how glaringly obvious the ending of the novel was, I couldn't guess it for the life of me.

Another peculiar note, I can't remember much of what happened in this book even though I finished it less than 22 hours ago. [Probably because I read something after]

Eliza here has been, as she thinks, pushed into a pool and obviously no one believes her. Since she's done it before. Multiple times.

Another fun thing to add to Eliza's personal bio. She can't recall a lot of the events that happened t
Chris Mara
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A psychological thriller that kept me confused throughout because of the plot of memory issues (medical? Psychological?) and the fact that the story ran on a parallel track with excerpts from a book which the main character wrote called “The Dots.”

Eliza is the main character; someone who makes bad choices, has dysfunctional family relationships, exhibits ongoing mental confusion, overanalyzes yet underanalyzes what’s happening to her, has illnesses, seizures and memory loss due to (medical? Alc
Jessica
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to Atria Books for the advanced ebook copy in exchange for my honest review.

Who here has read the PRETTY LITTLE LIARS series? Unfortunately I'm not part of that group (I know, I know, I'll eventually get to them!) but Sara Shepard's new standalone sounded very intriguing! THE ELIZAS is a lighter thriller read and perfect for those that want to transition into the thriller genre.

This is one of those that all readers love - a book within a book and a book about an author! Eliza Fontaine is
Susan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Sara Shepard

Received from Atria Books

Eliza is rescued from the bottom of a hotel pool. Her family believes it's another failed suicide attempt, but Eliza feels certain she was pushed. Of course, no one believes her and she is determined to find the person who tried to kill her and find out why. THE ELIZAS is such a thrilling creepy ride so hang on tight. This story was a little confusing to me at first but once I settled down, I was totally invested in Eliza's story and was hoping she
Paula  Phillips
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors is Sara Shepard; I fell in love with her about 8-10 years ago when I first discovered the book Pretty Little Liars. I then went on to read everything she had ever written and recently I got to meet her when I attended the RT2017 in Atlanta. She was amazing. So when I saw on Netgalley, a new release by her - I just had to read it. The Elizas is written with more the New Adult-Adult audience in mind and like her other series has a psychological twist to the story. In The ...more
Elaine
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: am-i-thrilled, ya
Like some readers have mentioned, I've also never read or seen Pretty Little Liars but I picked up The Elizas because the premise sounded vaguely intriguing, though not unique.

** Spoiler-y bits ahead **

Let's start with the unlikable character of Eliza; she is whiny, bratty, and has just recently published a novel called The Dots, about a young girl named Dot and her charismatic and abusive aunt Dorothy. When Eliza is found floating in the hotel pool, her family is convinced it is a cry for h
  • Splinter
  • High and Dry
  • Remember
  • See How They Lie
  • The Opposite of Here
  • Vendetta (The Nikki Boyd Files, #1)
  • The Color of Lies
  • The Disappearance of Sloane Sullivan
  • Dancing with Molly
  • Incriminated (Emancipated, #2)
  • Trust Me, I'm Trouble (Trust Me, #2)
  • The Perfect Candidate
  • The Ruining
  • Girl Last Seen
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She has lived in New York City, Brooklyn, Tucson, Arizona, Philadelphia, and now lives in Pittsburgh, PA. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.
“We are only falsehood, duplicity, and contradiction; we both conceal and disguise ourselves from ourselves.” —BLAISE PASCAL” 0 likes