Start by marking “Mommy's Khimar” as Want to Read:
Mommy's Khimar

Mommy's Khimar

Selected as a Best Book of 2018 by NPR, Kirkus Reviews, School Library Journal, and Shelf Awareness!

A young Muslim girl spends a busy day wrapped up in her mother’s colorful headscarf in this sweet and fanciful picture book from debut author and illustrator Jamilah Tompkins-Bigelow and Ebony Glenn.

A khimar is a flowing scarf that my mommy wears.
Before she walks out the do
Published April 3rd 2018 by Salaam Reads / Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mommy's Khimar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy's Khimar

Kate Narita
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
How I wish I would have had this book in my classroom last year! I had a student who wore a khimar, she called it hijab, but I didn't have any books that portrayed characters in a hijab. At the library, I found One Green Apple by Eve Bunting, that was it. Everyone needs a mirror when they pick up a book and Mommy's Khimar will do that for our female Muslim students. Besides providing a mirror for female Muslim students, Mommy's Khimar is a fanciful, fun read that will delight any reader who love ...more
La Coccinelle
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This picture book is absolutely adorable! It follows a little girl as she tries on her mother's headscarves. The reader can clearly see how much love the child has for her mother (and the rest of her family, including her Christian grandmother), and what the khimar means to her. When she's wearing it, she envisions herself as a queen, a shooting star, and even a superhero.

The illustrations are not what I was expecting. The cover doesn't really do the rest of the book justice. The expressions on
Jasmine
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would probably work as a basic introduction to hijabs or khimar, for kids who don’t have those in their life, but it’s more focused on kids whose mums are hijabi, I think. It’s a very good depiction of that time— I remember it very clearly— in early childhood when you want to be Just Like Mommy. Everything she does is magic, especially grownup clothes, and makeup, and fancy hair things. And veils, if you’re Muslim. This is a really lovely look at what it’s like to be that age, and it’s ...more
Tasha
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl watches her mother put on her khimar, her flowing headscarf. Her mother has so many of them, all colors and patterns. The little girl loves to play with them, twirling around and imagining that she is a queen. She pretends she’s a superhero, a bird or a shooting star when she wears her favorite bright yellow one. She sometimes wears the khimar to see family or to go to the mosque. At night, she has to take off the khimar, but she still dreams about it and how it connects her to her ...more
Rebecca
This is one of the sweetest books ever, with glowing illustrations by Ebony Glenn (the cover reminds me so much of the similar profile of Lisa looking at Corduroy). A little girl plays dress-up with her mother's khimar (head scarf). Muslim representation in picture books is still scarce, especially black Muslims, so that angle shines, while the fascination with dress-up and parents' clothing remains universally appealing to kids.
Colona Public Library
Did you ever play with your mom's make-up or clothes as a kid? Or even wearing dad's shoes? I would with my mom's perfumes and jewelry. This book beautifully captures that moment, that feeling, the pride, and that imagination that comes with it. Really has some beautiful illustrations.

I highly recommend this book ~Ashley

If you liked this book you might also like Under My Hijab
Jessica
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, and oh am I happy to have a picture book that is such a good introduction to the Khimar. What a great book for any collection looking to diversify so that all children find their mirrors and windows in the library!
Alia
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous book. Really well done. :)
KC
I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations and the concept of the story but some of it's repetitiveness took away from the message.
Allie
I pinned a few pages (as I often do for longer books) for baby and toddler playgroup tomorrow! The theme is the letter K and this is PERFECT!
Lyra
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I work in a primary school with a high number of Muslims who wear headscarves (those who I have talked to call them hijabs), and goodness finding representation for them is difficult! Accordingly, I'm very grateful for this book. I want both the students who wear the headscarves and the students who don't to see the headscarves represented in media as a mirror for the students who wear them and as a window for the students who don't. I want all the students to feel comfortable and the students w ...more
Kristin
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2019
5 stars! 5,000 stars! A book hasn't made me this happy in a long time. Such an important message of diversity and inlcusivity (her Christian grandmother!) without bashing readers over the head. And a protagonist with so much imagination. Reminded me of being a child, which is what children's books should do for adults.
Fatima
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set-muslim
The book Mommy’s Khimar is a realistic fiction that shows a small African-American Muslim girl explaining her love her the khimar (also known as hijab). The book starts off with explaining that her mother wears a hijab whenever she goes out and that there is a variety in what a hijab can look like. The little girl than explains what happens when she wears her favorite khimar, her mother's yellow khimar. She explains what she feels like when she wears it such as being a mama bird, superhero and q ...more
Jessie Oliveros
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found the pastel colors of this book immediately inviting. And the illustrations are so Disney-esque, bright, and happy--a promise fulfilled by the rest of the book! A little Muslim girl plays dress-up with her mother's khimar. We see her in the closet with the many-colored headscarves. We see her playing make-believe, snuggling her brother, and jumping into her daddy's arms. Children will be able to relate to this sweet little girl, which is great for those less familiar with her faith. I als ...more
Deidre
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Whimsical and warm illustrations, my daughter (six) really seemed to identify with the little girl in the book. So often khimar (khimars? I'm embarrassed to say this word wasn't in my vocabulary before reading this book) seems, at least to my white child living in an very nondiverse part of the world, different and foreign, which is why this book is so successful in making it seem lovely and familiar. The little girl likes to use her mother's khimar for dress up, pretending to be a queen, a supe ...more
Mary Ann
Mommy's Khimar is a delightful new picture book that is full of love, sunshine and imagination. A young Muslim girl plays dress up with her mother's khimar, or Islamic headscarf. When she wraps it around herself, she feels her mother's love surrounding her and she imagines all of the things she can be. The bright, warm illustrations convey all of this love and draw young readers to this story.

I especially appreciate how this picture book is both specific to this young girl's African American Mus
RLL220_Amanda Alvarado
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
This book is must read for children and adults. The book talks about a young Muslim American girl who loves her mom khimar. It's a beautiful story about a daughter that wants to be just like her mom. The illustrations alone make you feel like your in the story. The bright pastel colors make the khimar's look extremely beautiful. Every girl plays dress up with their mother's clothes but this shows a more powerful message for culture. The young girl says she feels like a superhero in her mother's ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Toddler-Kindergarten
Culture: Muslim American

A joyous little girl tells us all about her love of her mother's khimars and how she transforms them into imaginative play. Thompkins-Bigelow seamlessly weaves this Muslim symbol into her story for fellow Muslims and those unfamiliar with the Khimar/hijab. A sweet story of a daughter's adoration of her mother.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Effie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The pictures in this book are beautiful. It is so loving. I loved all the things the mom's khimar represented to the little girl: a queen's golden train, a mama bird's protective wings, a super-hero's cape. I loved the description of the mother's smell. This book was so full of love and I'm so happy that it will be an addition to our library. As a non-muslim person I really appreciated seeing the hijab from this perspective.
Monica Clark-Robinson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Luminous and lyrical, this book is just absolute picture book perfection. The sunny illustrations are gorgeous, and the text brings this little girl and her mommy to life for readers. An important and sensitive look at a faith and culture through a child's lens. Culturally diverse and specific--with a nod to the interfaith nature of many families.
Mimi.Y
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must admit the art work made me pick it up. The colors are so inviting and warm!! The love you see between the mother and child is so real. She love everything about her mother even the khimar is wears.
Lindsay
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations, but all the oppression and sexism that comes with requiring women to wear head coverings is completely passed over. I'm definitely not a supporter of requiring or encouraging children to wear a hijab.
Lirazel
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

4.0 stars for the text--a very very sweet celebration of the khimar--and 5.0 stars for the absolutely gorgeous illustrations. The pictures are so bright and warm and colorful, I absolutely fell in love with Ebony Glenn's style. I can't wait to see what she does next.
Peacegal
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Sunny, happy book with joyful illustrations. The text didn't always flow well for me, but the sweet illustrations hold it all together. While the many different people in this book dress and look differently, they all love and respect one another.
Jen Betton
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this just glow! The character of the little girl is super adorable and relatable, and I love all the ways she pretends with her scarf - it reminds me of my own little girl and the towels she uses for capes and Rapunzel-hair.
Kristina Jean Lareau

This is an imaginative and colorful exploration of wearing a Khimar and what it means for a young girl who looks up to her mother.
Cheri
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book and how it portrayed Muslims. there is a page dedicated to addressing family and friends who are not Muslim. great colors and illustrations.
Abby Turner
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
So pretty and full of love.
Naomi
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and lovely narrative about family and identity.
Tracie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all, picture-books
A young girl imagines and dreams as she plays with her mommy's khimar.

• Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter