Start by marking “How to Get Sh*t Done: Why Women Need to Stop Doing Everything so They Can Achieve Anything” as Want to Read:

Erin Falconer, editor in chief and co-owner of the highly respected self-improvement site Pick the Brain (with over 1.8 million monthly page views), shows overscheduled, overwhelmed women how to do less so that they can achieve more.

Women live in a state of constant guilt: that we’re not doing enough, that we’re not good enough, that we can’t keep up. If we’re not c
Published January 2nd 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Sh*t Done, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Sh*t Done

Jenny Leitsch
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Best advice from this book? Choosing three focused goals for any particular season of your life: anything more is unmanageable. For an over-committer like me, this advice was both convicting and freeing. Thinking about my time and commitments in light of my "three goals" has given me the freedom to let other things slide without feeling guilty.
Melissa
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't quite finish this, which makes me giggle a little
Yanira
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
While I appreciate the effort, I’m not quite sure that this was a hit with me. Erin wants us to accomplish more by having 3 big goals at a time and dropping unnecessary things to accomplish those goals. Listing apps, services and tips to outsource laundry and food so you could get to the gym does not feel fruitful for me. Or getting an uber so you can spend sometime working instead of driving yourself is not advice that I could do. My life is budgeted and perhaps I would be able to do those thin ...more
Jillian
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm re-listening to this on Audible after hearing it the first time. In the beginning, I didn't feel very connected to this author and her high-flying achievements. I mean, I did really well in school...but since then I've struggled to land big accomplishments. Then I heard the author say that we often don't even recognize our accomplishments, b/c once we hit them, we move on.

I thought about starting my own small business, writing a book (never published it but sent it out to all my friends who
Gina
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
You want to know how to get shit done? Don't bother picking up this book- that's the best advice I could give you about the waste of time this was.
Lauren
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I'll start by saying my boss bought me this book, since it was marketed as a book helping women who aren't feeling productive (a frustration I had expressed to her, not a passive-aggressive message that she was trying to send, lol), so it's probably not a book I would have picked up and bought myself, which might be colouring my opinion. However, it's hard for me to completely rake this book over the coals when I *do* feel like I learned something. So let's start with the positives.

P
Heather Balog
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
How to get sh*t done? For me it would include not reading this book. Ugh. So frustrating. This book is geared toward a)women without children, b)women in work situations where they have some control over their time c)women who have time to read this book and do the "homework" to begin with.
I do not fall into any of these categories---sometimes we HAVE to do everything because no one else will or no one else can. This book was a waste of time for me.
Amy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Paper and Glam January 2019 Book Club Pick

Liked: Self-Discovery in the beginning, Identifies Problems well

Disliked: Poor solutions, Outsourcing ideas/chapters, Poor solutions for when you can’t eliminate things from your life, overemphasize on work as the goal, balancing life means delegating her home life to others
Tiffany
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
" The fastest route to burnout is to spend time on things you don't believe in."

"To change your life, you must stay present in your life."

"Your power comes from the choices you make."

"you have to analyze the people you spend the most time with and critically evaluate whether they're a destructive or constructive force."

"it's about feeling loved and valued by the right people, not by all people"

7 toxic people to watch out for:
1. emotional bully: You never kn
Cami
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, this book really does make you think about certain topics. It is what I needed for a more open minded view of the way I spend my time. I find myself doing a lot of unnecessary things on a daily basis, which is truly heartbreaking for me, because time is everything. I am so glad that I got to read this book, it was truly great, thanks so much for giving me an ARC of this.
The construction of this book was very well put together, making it more accessible to readers.
I aspire
Erika
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
There were some interesting/useful tidbits in here but the world view from which the book was written (middle class/upper middle class) was limiting.
Danielle
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
How to Get Shit Done? Avoid this book.

I read the book as part of a book club, but it took me three months to completely get through the story. While each person is entitled to an opinion, I do not appreciate Erin Falconer’s bashing of the male population. I agree that women have not always been on the same playing field as men, but in today’s society women tend to abuse men verbally and physically in retaliation for past inequalities. Just stop the hate on both sides! She spends many
Jennie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always happy to hear of another Canuck's success, I burned through this book over a work shift.

You might say that some of the stuff is really obvious but I think that's the point. We get so busy in our lives we can't see the forest for the trees and fill our plates just to have them be full.

Included are a few exercises, although subjective, that help you narrow your focus. The "perfect day" exercise was a bust for me as it includes drinking tea, hanging with my dog and he
Selma Fairach
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
really interesting take on how to not burn yourself out by doing everything you can in each community you are a part of. personally what i needed, as i tend to step up and take leadership positions wherever i go and that is honestly not necessary at all. they also have cute little exercises to analyze your situation now and plan out the best way to use your time in the future. great read for women who are aspiring to be successful in their own ways.
Caitlin Wallace
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspiring. Inspirational without being intimidating. The author gives concrete steps to implement a simplified and focused life. Will recommend to every woman I know.
Melly0919
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tells it like it is: us women run around doing so much we are exhausted and often let our dreams slide. Good advice!
Sarah Drye
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Finally made time to get the book done.. She makes good points such as eliminating word should from vocabulary, remembering to focus energy towards things that matter, focus on 3 areas, not trying to do everything and monitoring can help avoid burnout.
Alex
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is meant for women, and while it’s uniquely suited to the fairer sex, it still works as a productivity manual for anyone looking to better prioritize their life. A lot of it is similar to what has been said elsewhere, but that doesn’t make it any less useful. Some key points include:

-learn to say no
-delegate if you can
-don’t prioritize your schedule, but schedule your priorities
-multitasking is a myth. Don’t convince yourself that it’s not
-sleep
Sama Alkhoury
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I could not finish reading this book , as it made me very not interested every time I read another page of it. However, I forced myself to read more maybe it will get better, but it did not. I usually cannot wait to come back home to continue reading the book I have at the time. The eagerness to flip the page and read more was non-existent for this one.
Maybe I find my own ways to be productive and enjoy my life at the same time to be much better of the complications the author went through to e
Jessica Bishop-Royse
May 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I didn't like this book. I just couldn't get into it. Its hard to describe, but the only word I could come up with to describe this book is vapid.
Alisa Anton
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
For some reason, I had high expectations for this book. They were not met.

It's an okay book with a lot of fluff I didn't necessarily mind, but it would get boring at times.

As far as practicality goes, the author does make note of a few interesting theories (one in particular, I've found very useful), but nothing revolutionary.

Although she insists on the idea of a personalized definition of productivity, she doesn't really offer a lot of constructive insight. I've noticed a lot of times, she m
Ashley Oxford
I feel like I shouldn't give this book a rating. I decided to start a self care practice where I read from a self-help book for 15 minutes every morning. When I went to B&N to pick out my first book, How to Get Sh*t Done caught my eye. The cover and book marketing seem to focus on helping women get more done....

Well the book is actually geared toward over-achievers who have endless to do lists. It helps you move some things off your plate so you can focus on the few things that w
C.C
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Megan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have yet to see a book that uses a person's personality- knowledge of self, to create a system of productivity that works for them - to create the most effective output for the necessary input. Like this review, the book's backstory of how she discovered this method was very wordy and covered with so much weaving unnecessary information- I had to put it down and skim... (backstory- I am already really selfish, but I was reading this to find more of an efficient balance for productivity)

...the
Sweetheart Seer
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh.

The irony here is I DNFd this.

I was so bored. The writing was not engaging for me at all.

I hit 100 or so pages in and was like this is a waste of my time.

Up until that point we had all this talking about what we will be talking about filler crap. Get to the point. I feel this would have been good material for a blog post, but was drawn out, slow, and over expanded to fill a book when it didn't have enough information to be a book in the first place.
Denise Morse
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Erin Falconer has created a successful business and has had her shares of ups and downs along the way. She is very candid about her struggles and her journey in life so far, as well as her methods for rising above it all.

Her book has some very practical tips about questions you need to answer about yourself first before you can make a plan, as well as some ideas about what to do after that. I think a lot of them can be put into place but you really need to have an idea already about what goals
Ellen
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the productivity guide--or anti-productivity guide I never knew I needed--and the book that will likely re-shape my own attitude toward productivity the most in the next few months. If you're looking for permission to put aside or give up on as many of the unnecessary or personally irrelevant parts of your life as you can so that you can devote yourself to your passions, Erin Falconer is more than happy to give it. Perfect for those of us who are so used to feeling frazzled, overwhelmed, ...more
Charmin
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Highlights:

1. “Emotional labor” is draining and not valued on the measuring stick.

2. Housekeeping tasks are work-chores for the team that are expected from women, doesn’t count as part of ambition for a raise (compared to men).

3. Remove from constant use: “I’m sorry” as a nervous tick, should, just, only

4. Say “no” more. Focus completely on less. Ditch the idea of having to do everything. Pick top 3.

5. Micro-Tasks: Productivity Sprints, focuses time. No distractions or
Deanna Bailey
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book didn't have any ground breaking information, but I did enjoy this book. I wish I had read this book in my mid 20s when I was finished with grad school and starting my career for tips to be productive at work and also not to be taken advantage of- being an over achiever and saying yes to everything gets you nowhere! I liked some of her stories that she told that went along with the lessons she learned and how we can apply it. I also liked the questions/activities at the end of each chap ...more
Gail Gallagher
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I downloaded the kindle edition of this book on a Friday night after seeing it at a bookstore and finished it two days later. I'm still working thru some of the exercises but I have read the meat of the book. I am a person that tends to absorb a self help book in a couple sittings and then go back and digest it on a second run and I plan on doing that as I go back and read the exercises.

I like that this book is written for women and how we tend to take on a lot more work than we need to. It's a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Evolution of Goddess: A Modern Girl's Guide to Activating Your Feminine Superpowers
  • The Social Media Marketing Book
  • A Kick in the Seat of the Pants: using your explorer, artist, judge, & warrior to be more creative
  • How to Be an Illustrator
  • Work Strife Balance
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • Physical Disobedience: An Unruly Guide to Health and Stamina for the Modern Feminist
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • Social Media 101: Tactics and Tips to Develop Your Business Online
  • The Myth of the Nice Girl: Achieving a Career You Love Without Becoming a Person You Hate
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • Reclaiming Our Space: How Black Feminists Are Changing the World from the Tweets to the Streets
  • Fed Up: Emotional Labor, Women, and the Way Forward
  • Fearless and Free: How Smart Women Pivot — And Relaunch Their Careers
  • The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead: Your Words in Print and Your Name in Lights
  • The Feminist Promise: 1792 to the Present (Modern Library Chronicles)
“I mean, I get it, In life, we're judged according to what we've done. And women are consistently assessed more harshly. A New York University study showed that women have to do much more than men to be perceived as equally productive in the workplace. So we keep chugging along. Me? I'm great. I got so much done today! We want to have spotless homes, healthy-yet-gourmet meals, executive-track promotions, well-behaved children, a robust spiritual life, spotless community service, hot sex, and on top of all that, some time to relax. But herein lies the conundrum, If we continue to pursue productivity for productivity's sake, women will continue to position ourselves diametrically opposed to satisfaction.

You may feel like the most productive person alive, but without a purpose, you're just busy.”
1 likes
“Here’s what I know to be true: If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.” 0 likes