Start by marking “This Love Story Will Self-Destruct” as Want to Read:
This Love Story Will Self-Destruct

This Love Story Will Self-Destruct

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  1,137 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
This is the classic tale of boy meets girl: Girl…goes home with someone else.

Meet Eve. She’s a dreamer, a feeler, a careening well of sensitivities who can’t quite keep her feet on the ground, or steer clear of trouble. She’s a laugher, a crier, a quirky and quick-witted bleeding-heart-worrier.

Meet Ben. He’s an engineer, an expert at leveling floors who likes order, struct
Published January 23rd 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about This Love Story Will Self-Destruct, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Love Story Will Self-Destruct

Brandice
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just Loved This Love Story Will Self-Destruct ! I was intrigued from page 1 of the prologue and while the story had predictable elements, it was deeper and more relatable than I expected.

This is a story about Eve and Ben, college acquaintances via mutual friends, in their senior year at Columbia University. Besides having mutual friends, Eve and Ben are pretty different. The story follows them through their 20s - jobs, friendships, relationships, learning about themselves, and trying to answe
She Always Reads  (Cia Black)
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book and when the conclusion came, you were honestly a peace with it. This love story will self-destruct was so calming and satisfying the whole way through that I for sure thought I would be let down by the departing words. But I was wrong, this book just left me in such a tranquil state of mind that was in awe.

It's exactly as the synopsis describes it to be, which was again oddly satisfying. This is the story of past acquaintances and what ifs. It was remarkably told throu
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)
THIS LOVE STORY WILL SELF-DESTRUCT is an all-consuming read. Leslie Cohen's debut rendered me completely useless on a snowy Sunday in April (yes, April. Spring is drunk). This book had the perfect balance of funny and light-hearted moments with depth and emotion. Highly recommended for seekers of "can't put it down" reads.

Eve and Ben meet in college in Columbia University. They're opposites but you know what they say about that, right? Eve is a free-spirited and artsy aspiring music journalist w
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
5+ Stars

Wow! This book surprised me in the best of ways. I was just browsing through Net Galley and the title is what got my attention. I was expecting a ring pop, something cute and yummy and instead I got a freaking Tiffany diamond!!! I love finding these hidden gems!

This reads like a coming of age story with quirky characters, subtle humor and there are so many layers of complexity in how these characters responded to both big and small life changing events. The book starts with Eve and Ben i
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
I received a free advanced copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

Before I start with a brief synopsis, I just want to say that the writing was superb. It is the author's debut novel and it was written with such care, I was very impressed.

We are introduced to Eve and her group of girlfriends as they navigate friendship and love in NYC. There are a group of guys who always seem to be just around, cue in Ben. Eve is anxious and over analyzes everything, that she feels most
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
***ARC received for an honest review***

Have you ever grabbed a handful of brightly colored candies and tossed them in your mouth thinking "all right! m&m's!" only to discover you now have a mouthful of skittles? That's what this book did to me - an unexpected tart flavor with a surprising deliciousness. I thought I was going to get sugary sweet, but instead I got something to chew on.

A large portion of this book is about how Eve is neurotic and self-destructive and a hot mess. Cohen doesn't
Dianne
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, drama, netgalley, own
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Boy meets girl, girl doesn’t even acknowledge him on her radar, perhaps because he is reasonably safe, a little bland, not a bad boy? Eve is anything but stable, mature, she is a dreamer, waiting for her dreams to arrive and unfold themselves in front of her. She likes to think she is living life on the edge, but her own thoughts and insecurities keep tripping her up.

Ben is a young man who thrives on order in a chaotic world. He isn’t worthy of Eve’s notice until years later
maggie
Thanks to the publisher for providing an e-arc via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

DNF @ 27%

Do you ever start a book and instantly get that sinking feeling in your gut because you know with every fiber of your being that you're just not gonna like it one bit?? I always feel absolutely horrible not finishing arcs, but when I don't care about characters at the 20% mark, I know I'm not going to care to see their journey to the end of the book.

Everything about This Love Story Will Self-D
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Review to come.

Arc received in exchange for a review.
More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
Chelsea
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an HONEST review.

That being said: I hated it. Eve was truly insufferable. She was a garbage person I could not stand from the beginning. At 37% (kindle) I had to force myself to keep going. Ben (our other lead) doesn’t even come into the story until the halfway point. Ben was a gem and didn’t get nearly enough of a plot or character development. When he entered the story, it was a relief because it meant dealing with Eve a
Renee
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Not my thing. Found myself skimming.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Eve Porter has been through a lot. Her mother died tragically and her father left her and her sister when they were young. Due to this, she spends a lot of time worrying and observing things in order to protect herself. She dates a lot of toxic people and when she meets Ben, she assumes he is too nice, too boring, and far too perfect for her taste. But as the years go by, she runs into Ben again as they share some of the same college friends and there's definitely something there. Can Eve let he ...more
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
That was messy & gritty & I loved it.
Sharon May
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to Netgalley, Gallery Books and Leslie Cohen for the opportunity to read and review her debut novel - loved it!

This is just an easy-to-read, sweet love story. Boy meets girl, life interferes story. Told in alternating voices of Eve, a damaged young woman trying to cope with her dad's desertion and her mom's death, and Ben, a logical, engineer type. They meet at Columbia University and continue to cross paths while each are moving on with their lives and other people. This story fo
Arlena
Rating: Four
Review:

"This Love Story Will Self-Destruct" by Leslie Cohen

My Thoughts....

This was a interesting read with Eve trying to find herself...being with the right person with a lots of drama issues that seemed to keep her so very unhappy. Then here comes Ben who seems to come in and out of Eves life. I liked how he seemed to have a order in his life where as Eve
Savannah Garner
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I want to give a huge thank you to Netgalley for giving me an advanced copy of this book!

This Love Story Will Self-Destruct is about two people and their lives as they intertwine with one another. First we meet Eve, who is carefree and a dreamer. Then there's Ben, a straight forward hard worker that needs some form of order in his life. This novel goes through their experiences with each other from strangers, to friends, to maybe more.

To me this book was a solid three stars. Nothing less, nothi
Cindy Wilkerson

This is about a girl with issues and the boy that falls for her.
That’s really it.
And I loved it.
I found Eve to be oddly relatable, whether I saw a part of myself in her or from the friends I had in college.
And yes, Ben may seem like an idiot for putting up with some of Eve’s antics (especially in the beginning), but guess what?
People are messy.
Relationships are messy.
And life is messy.

My one critique is:
GOOD LORD! CHILL WITH THE USE OF ITALICS!
Julie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romance of two different people who were friends but fell in love.
Karschtl
Das erste Drittel des Buches handelt eigentlich von Eve und ihrer Liebe zu Jesse. Und ich fragte mich wie da dieser Ben, der ebenfalls schon in Erscheinung getreten ist aber noch nicht wirklich auffiel, ins Bild passen soll.

Tut er aber wenig später doch, und das ganz gut. Zumindest tut er Eve gut. Dass sie auch in einer ganz anderen Beziehung eine Verbindung zueinander hatten, fand ich eine sehr gute Ergänzung zu der Geschichte.

Schade fand ich eigentlich, dass Eves Freundinnen so wenig vorkamen.
Sarah Ames-Foley
(This review can also be found on my blog.)

I’m really glad I ended up picking this up. It was a nice, mostly light-hearted read that offset the thriller I had also been working my way through. From the moment I began, I just loved the voice that Leslie Cohen uses in her writing. I genuinely had trouble believing that this was a debut novel, as her talent makes you believe you’re reading the work of an established and highly-lauded author.

Does an apartment still exist once you no longer live ther
Lianna
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
My adoration for this book (and yes, I truly adored it) makes an odd sort of sense to me. In the grand scheme of things, there was nothing about it that was utterly earth shattering or game changing (in fact there were some moments and plot lines - ie: Ben and Eve's six degrees of parental separation) that felt unnecessary; but at the same time I tore through the pages with a gusto that I don't find myself having very often in this genre anymore. There was something about this novel that I conne ...more
Jaime Fiction Fangirls Book Review
4.5 Stars

Have you ever read a book and been left wondering how it felt like absolutely nothing happened but somehow SO much happened at the same time? This is that book for me.

It read sort of like a diary where you’ll learn everything about Ben and Eve’s lives and how they missed each other for so long but crossed paths so often. You’ll learn of Eve’s struggle with the death of her mom and her absent father and her inability to trust in anything good.

It’s mentioned early on that Ben’s friends
Claudia
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan-2018, galley
A sweet and bitter story about a young couple that was always crossing paths with each other but never actually met… later on, Ben and Eve are a couple, but one of them is keeping a secret that could change the future of their relationship.
I read this book in one day, it keep me awake at night, I was waiting for something to happen, the beginning was a little boring, I was almost giving it up then suddenly right in the middle, I felt in love with Ben and Eve!

Jill
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I first heard about TLSWSD, I was totally into it. I read some great reviews and after reading the synopsis I was all in. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting but I found the story lacking. I can’t even say exactly what it was, I honestly just wasn’t invested. Eve in my opinion came off bratty and had some commitment issues. Totally understandable, but after a while it became repetitive. I can’t stand someone who continuously blames their past for why they are the way they are. Like if you wa ...more
Diana Iozzia
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
"This Love Story Will Self-Destruct"
Written by Leslie Cohen
Review written by Diana Iozzia / Bookworm Banter

"This Love Story Will Self-Destruct" is a great new romantic comedy. This is very different than typical will-they-won't-they books, and it's very reminiscent of "When Harry Met Sally" and many Nora Ephron films, both of which are written about in the blurb and in reviews, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Clearly, if you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of late 80s and 9
Daniela Soria
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75
Cookie
Jun 24, 2018 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Eve is just too annoyingly pathetic to bother with.
Nour
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly don't know how to review this, because at first I thought I'd sure as hell hate it, but when the end came I ended up being like FUCK YOU I WANT MORE!!!
Brittany
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow you guys. Is Gallery books sure this is Leslie Cohen's debut novel? In all seriousness this book was written will outstanding talent. I didn't know about this book right away. I actually got it as an email from NetGalley. Most of the time, I dismiss these types of emails, but for some reason I clicked on this one and I immediately fell in love. I went on to request it right away. I couldn't wait to get some time to read this. Once I did..I was HOOKED. So thank you NetGalley, Gallery Publishe ...more
*Ritzrenee*
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF...
I tried this book until the halfway mark

It was a drag reading this. It had all the potential but somehow the writing or the plot development was a little indirect. Therefore, it became confusing for readers. Like in my case, I was waiting for something substantial to happen but to no avail.

The book was categorized into chapters of different time frame. Fair enough but for some reasons, it was confusing to grasp. This book just didn't connect with me...
Leslie Cohen was born and raised in New York. She studied fiction at Columbia University, and wrote a weekly music column for a newspaper in Colorado before working in publishing for several years. This is her debut novel.

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice