Start by marking “This Love Story Will Self-Destruct” as Want to Read:
This Love Story Will Self-Destruct

This Love Story Will Self-Destruct

This is the classic tale of boy meets girl: Girl…goes home with someone else.

Meet Eve. She’s a dreamer, a feeler, a careening well of sensitivities who can’t quite keep her feet on the ground, or steer clear of trouble. She’s a laugher, a crier, a quirky and quick-witted bleeding-heart-worrier.

Meet Ben. He’s an engineer, an expert at leveling floors who likes order, struc
Published January 23rd 2018 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about This Love Story Will Self-Destruct, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Love Story Will Self-Destruct

Start your review of This Love Story Will Self-Destruct
Brandice
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just Loved This Love Story Will Self-Destruct ! I was intrigued from page 1 of the prologue and while the story had predictable elements, it was deeper and more relatable than I expected.

This is a story about Eve and Ben, college acquaintances via mutual friends, in their senior year at Columbia University. Besides having mutual friends, Eve and Ben are pretty different. The story follows them through their 20s - jobs, friendships, relationships, learning about themselves, and trying to answe
Nicki White
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book and when the conclusion came, you were honestly a peace with it. This love story will self-destruct was so calming and satisfying the whole way through that I for sure thought I would be let down by the departing words. But I was wrong, this book just left me in such a tranquil state of mind that was in awe.

It's exactly as the synopsis describes it to be, which was again oddly satisfying. This is the story of past acquaintances and what ifs. It was remarkably told throu
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)
THIS LOVE STORY WILL SELF-DESTRUCT is an all-consuming read. Leslie Cohen's debut rendered me completely useless on a snowy Sunday in April (yes, April. Spring is drunk). This book had the perfect balance of funny and light-hearted moments with depth and emotion. Highly recommended for seekers of "can't put it down" reads.

Eve and Ben meet in college in Columbia University. They're opposites but you know what they say about that, right? Eve is a free-spirited and artsy aspiring music journalist w
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
I received a free advanced copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

Before I start with a brief synopsis, I just want to say that the writing was superb. It is the author's debut novel and it was written with such care, I was very impressed.

We are introduced to Eve and her group of girlfriends as they navigate friendship and love in NYC. There are a group of guys who always seem to be just around, cue in Ben. Eve is anxious and over analyzes everything, that she feels most
Heather❀Book and a Blanket❀
5+ Stars

Wow! This book surprised me in the best of ways. I was just browsing through Net Galley and the title is what got my attention. I was expecting a ring pop, something cute and yummy and instead I got a freaking Tiffany diamond!!! I love finding these hidden gems!

This reads like a coming of age story with quirky characters, subtle humor and there are so many layers of complexity in how these characters responded to both big and small life changing events. The book starts with Eve and Ben i
Susan's Reviews
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The words got in the way of the story, if that makes sense. Some authors write sparingly, making every word count, and still manage to convey so much. Here, the action and the emotion were over-explained. I give this a 3.7 out of 5.
mags
Thanks to the publisher for providing an e-arc via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

DNF @ 27%

Do you ever start a book and instantly get that sinking feeling in your gut because you know with every fiber of your being that you're just not gonna like it one bit?? I always feel absolutely horrible not finishing arcs, but when I don't care about characters at the 20% mark, I know I'm not going to care to see their journey to the end of the book.

Everything about This Love Story Will Self-D
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arcs
***ARC received for an honest review***

Have you ever grabbed a handful of brightly colored candies and tossed them in your mouth thinking "all right! m&m's!" only to discover you now have a mouthful of skittles? That's what this book did to me - an unexpected tart flavor with a surprising deliciousness. I thought I was going to get sugary sweet, but instead I got something to chew on.

A large portion of this book is about how Eve is neurotic and self-destructive and a hot mess. Cohen doesn't dip
Dianne
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read, netgalley, own, drama
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Boy meets girl, girl doesn’t even acknowledge him on her radar, perhaps because he is reasonably safe, a little bland, not a bad boy? Eve is anything but stable, mature, she is a dreamer, waiting for her dreams to arrive and unfold themselves in front of her. She likes to think she is living life on the edge, but her own thoughts and insecurities keep tripping her up.

Ben is a young man who thrives on order in a chaotic world. He isn’t worthy of Eve’s notice until years later
Karima chermiti
This love story will self-destruct tried so hard to be many things all at once and yet it failed miserably and spectacularly at being anything at all. I have never felt this indifferent towards a book; I have this blank space where this book should be. I didn’t care enough to DNF it and I didn’t care enough to read it without skimming parts of it. It was just so meh for me.

This love story will self-destruct in a NA romance novel that revolves around two college students and how they’ll fall in l
Chelsea Baute
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an HONEST review.

That being said: I hated it. Eve was truly insufferable. She was a garbage person I could not stand from the beginning. At 37% (kindle) I had to force myself to keep going. Ben (our other lead) doesn’t even come into the story until the halfway point. Ben was a gem and didn’t get nearly enough of a plot or character development. When he entered the story, it was a relief because it meant dealing with Eve a
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Review to come.

Arc received in exchange for a review.
More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
Renee
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not my thing. Found myself skimming.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Eve Porter has been through a lot. Her mother died tragically and her father left her and her sister when they were young. Due to this, she spends a lot of time worrying and observing things in order to protect herself. She dates a lot of toxic people and when she meets Ben, she assumes he is too nice, too boring, and far too perfect for her taste. But as the years go by, she runs into Ben again as they share some of the same college friends and there's definitely something there. Can Eve let he ...more
Ginger at GReadsBooks
That was messy & gritty & I loved it. ...more
Shelley
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
*4.5 Stars

This book had me at the title. Anyone who knows me, knows that I tend to gravitate toward books that don’t take the easiest, smoothest paths. I want to be pulled into the lives of the characters and taken on their journey, and if it happens to break my heart in the process, then so be it.

Leslie Cohen’s debut novel was just what I was in the mood for. As soon as I finished reading it, I immediately went on a search to find out if she had any other books in the works. Yes, this book was
Sharon May
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to Netgalley, Gallery Books and Leslie Cohen for the opportunity to read and review her debut novel - loved it!

This is just an easy-to-read, sweet love story. Boy meets girl, life interferes story. Told in alternating voices of Eve, a damaged young woman trying to cope with her dad's desertion and her mom's death, and Ben, a logical, engineer type. They meet at Columbia University and continue to cross paths while each are moving on with their lives and other people. This story fo
Heather
Rating: Four
Review:

"This Love Story Will Self-Destruct" by Leslie Cohen

My Thoughts....

This was a interesting read with Eve trying to find herself...being with the right person with a lots of drama issues that seemed to keep her so very unhappy. Then here comes Ben who seems to come in and out of Eves life. I liked how he seemed to have a order in his life where as Eve
Savannah Garner
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I want to give a huge thank you to Netgalley for giving me an advanced copy of this book!

This Love Story Will Self-Destruct is about two people and their lives as they intertwine with one another. First we meet Eve, who is carefree and a dreamer. Then there's Ben, a straight forward hard worker that needs some form of order in his life. This novel goes through their experiences with each other from strangers, to friends, to maybe more.

To me this book was a solid three stars. Nothing less, nothi
Jenny Bravo
This book was not for me. There were some great moments, but I felt like it took too long to get the plot started. I felt there was too much telling vs. showing, which relies too heavily on the characters' voices. I had high hopes for this, but it left me wanting more.
Claire
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
More like 1.5.

I'm sorry, I hated this. I couldn't really stand either of them? And the relationship was skimmed over and all the flash forwards just made me feel like I didn't know them or their relationship at all.

Anyway, no thanks.
Julie
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romance of two different people who were friends but fell in love.
Sarah Ames-Foley
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
(This review can also be found on my blog.)

I’m really glad I ended up picking this up. It was a nice, mostly light-hearted read that offset the thriller I had also been working my way through. From the moment I began, I just loved the voice that Leslie Cohen uses in her writing. I genuinely had trouble believing that this was a debut novel, as her talent makes you believe you’re reading the work of an established and highly-lauded author.

Does an apartment still exist once you no longer live ther
Lianna
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
My adoration for this book (and yes, I truly adored it) makes an odd sort of sense to me. In the grand scheme of things, there was nothing about it that was utterly earth shattering or game changing (in fact there were some moments and plot lines - ie: Ben and Eve's six degrees of parental separation) that felt unnecessary; but at the same time I tore through the pages with a gusto that I don't find myself having very often in this genre anymore. There was something about this novel that I conne ...more
Jaime ~ Fiction Fangirls
4.5 Stars

Have you ever read a book and been left wondering how it felt like absolutely nothing happened but somehow SO much happened at the same time? This is that book for me.

It read sort of like a diary where you’ll learn everything about Ben and Eve’s lives and how they missed each other for so long but crossed paths so often. You’ll learn of Eve’s struggle with the death of her mom and her absent father and her inability to trust in anything good.

It’s mentioned early on that Ben’s friends
Claudia
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galley
A sweet and bitter story about a young couple that was always crossing paths with each other but never actually met… later on, Ben and Eve are a couple, but one of them is keeping a secret that could change the future of their relationship.
I read this book in one day, it keep me awake at night, I was waiting for something to happen, the beginning was a little boring, I was almost giving it up then suddenly right in the middle, I felt in love with Ben and Eve!

Diana Iozzia (Bookworm Banter)
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
"This Love Story Will Self-Destruct"
Written by Leslie Cohen
Review written by Diana Iozzia / Bookworm Banter

"This Love Story Will Self-Destruct" is a great new romantic comedy. This is very different than typical will-they-won't-they books, and it's very reminiscent of "When Harry Met Sally" and many Nora Ephron films, both of which are written about in the blurb and in reviews, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Clearly, if you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of late 80s and 9
Jill
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I first heard about TLSWSD, I was totally into it. I read some great reviews and after reading the synopsis I was all in. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting but I found the story lacking. I can’t even say exactly what it was, I honestly just wasn’t invested. Eve in my opinion came off bratty and had some commitment issues. Totally understandable, but after a while it became repetitive. I can’t stand someone who continuously blames their past for why they are the way they are. Like if you wa ...more
Shealea
The more I listened to this audiobook, the more my interest declined. It was completely depleted when this book described any Asian person or anything Asian-related as “exotic,” which, believe it or not, happened several times.

It’s a no from me.

• The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1)
  • Love and Other Words
  • The Girl He Used to Know
  • We Met in December
  • Love at First Like
  • Meet Cute
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • My Oxford Year
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Would Like to Meet
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • More Than Words
  • The Friend Zone
Leslie Cohen was born and raised in New York. She studied fiction at Columbia University, and wrote a weekly music column for a newspaper in Colorado before working in publishing for several years. This is her debut novel.

News & Interviews