Start by marking “Judgment Detox: Release the Beliefs That Hold You Back from Living A Better Life” as Want to Read:

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Gabrielle Bernstein comes a clear, proactive, step-by-step process to release the beliefs that hold you back from living a better life.

This six-step practice offers many promises. Petty resentments will disappear, compassion will replace attack, the energy of resistance will transform into freedom and you’ll feel more peace an#1
Published January 2nd 2018 by Gallery Books

Start your review of Judgment Detox: Release the Beliefs That Hold You Back from Living A Better Life
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
I’m upset! Where do I even start. First of all, I’ve read of all berstein’s book and not a fan per say, but somehow ended up riding along her popularity. Some of them are good, most of them not so good. And you guys, I love self-help, personal-development, and spirituality books, so I’ve read it all, heard it all. She’s certainly been through a lot and is brave for sharing her experiences, but I find that many of her teachings, ideas, and concepts are borrowed from others making it her own.
Steve Sanders
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bernstein dials back on the mysticism of her earlier works enough to make Judgment Detox accessible even to skeptics like me. The book provides a simple yet effective technique for identifying and eradicating resentment and its toxic effects from your day to day life.

(Docked one star for the shout out she gives to Joel Osteen who this Houstonian isn’t yet enlightened enough to forgive for keeping his church closed during Harvey.)
Christina
Three stars but really this was between a 2 1/2 and 3. I thought the book was ok, and I did like it, but I find after having read a lot of her books, it is a lot of the same information recycled and re worded. There is certainly nothing earth shattering in the content, but there are a lot of great reminders of concepts I am already familiar with so overall, a pleasant read.
Mandi
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
There have been a couple of Gabby’s books which literally were life changing for me. This wasn’t one of them. The first half felt forced and I almost didn’t finish it. I’m glad that I did, because I did feel that some of the last chapters were helpful.
Drobg62
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not find much of value

Purchased this book after hearing the author on a podcast. It is a subject that I am quite interested on different levels but this book provided little information that I found helpful. The author seems to borrow many ideas without exhibiting much real depth of understanding. While her candid self revelations might be refreshing for some I was somewhat taken aback by her seeming lack of mastery on a subject she was authoring a book about.
Kirk
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t finish it. Right out of the pen the book started casting normal human behavior (from a social psychology perspective) as potentially “toxic.” There’s a certain degree of naiveté you have to have in order to approach this book. I guess you could say I failed the judgment detox.

I’m okay with that 👌
Jess Macallan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
I've read most of Gabby Bernstein's books, and Judgment Detox will satisfy readers who love her forthright but loving teaching style. And like her other books, it will challenge readers to face plenty of uncomfortable thoughts and moments with the ultimate goal of freeing them from that unnecessary emotional weight.

What I like best about this book is that she clearly and thoughtfully takes readers through techniques to acknowledge and address the judgments that hold them hostage. The
Peg Samuel
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concept of judgement holding us back is thought-provoking, Gabby makes it relatable & easy to understand giving a toolbox full of actionable directions to guide us back to a joyful & serene existence.
Erin
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this read. She lost me when she said the pain of the far right was the same as oppressed groups in the US. This book drips in a white privileged worldview and is eye roll worthy.
Richard Haynes
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book, my new mantra is "Today I will judge nothing that occurs". Off to a good start. Thanks.
Jen Blau
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is more powerful than we know. It was too powerful for my brain earlier in the year. I set it down after listing my judgments in the first chapter, thinking “I just can’t do this right now.” Turns out, I wasn’t ready to let go of those judgments. They still felt justified to me.

Two weeks ago and after a LOT of rough patches of life this year, I picked it up again wanting to Love over Hate. Note: I still felt like my judgments were justified, but I was WILLING to set a different intent
Rachel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was my first time reading a Gabby Bernstein book. I took a look at it because of all the hype surrounding her work these days! I felt that there were some inspiring lines and good prompts to create positive change and inner freedom. I appreciated the themes of recognizing the wounds at the core of our judgments, embracing forgiveness, seeing each other through the compassionate lens of common humanity, and surrendering control. The book was very new-agey, so the advice felt mostly like gett ...more
Kathryn
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A relatable, unexpectedly relevant follow up to ‘A New Earth;’ which I finished a few weeks back. I’m so glad I found this gem. I loved Eckhart Tolle’s wisdom, but putting things into practice on a relatable level is something this book guides you through with simplicity and approachability. As I stumbled through Gabby’s 6 steps of judgement detox, I could almost instantly feel the freedom associated with forgiveness, which was much needed. There was some intense underlying emotional issues I ha ...more
Laurie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every few years, I come upon a book that is life changing. I read this at the right time for me. All the puzzle pieces are clicking into place. The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) exercises, the prayers, the meditations and the journal that comes with it all have transformed how I am living my life.

At first I thought, how can I do this? Not judge anyone for anything? Jeez. That is impossible. Especially self judgment. I am my harshest critic. But the more I let go of judgment and accept peopl
Melissa
May 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I cannot get into this book. It's written like a church sermon - lots of discussion of prayer examples and 'going into the light'. Also, her examples are ludicrous. She lost me completely at page 39 in her example of how you might judge academic know-it-alls because when you where in 6th grade, the smart popular boy you had a crush on told you that you were stupid. I shut the book at that point and will happily return it to the library, the remaining pages unread.

I definitely could use a judgme
Elaine Moore
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A spiritual activist, Bernstein writes that the act of judgment or judging others is an addiction response to deep-rooted trauma. By choosing this fear and separation instead of love, we become disassociated from our truth. This leads to an obsession with an outward projection of who we think we are.
By healing judgment we're forced to live in reality and accept unconditional love. Bernstein offers a series of steps such as meditation that lead to this healing.
I think that judgment is a le
Daria Zeoli
I am judgmental, a grudge-holder. I strive to be more compassionate with myself and others. This book gives six steps that, when practiced, lead one away from judgment and towards live.

While I’ve not begun my own judgment detox, having read this book over the past week, I plan to go back and follow the steps. Journaling and meditation are two practices I’ve long wanted to do successfully, and tapping has interested me after hearing about it over the past year or two. Bernstein’s appr
Donna
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first Gabrielle Bernstein book that I have read. I found the concepts very interesting and it was a great guide for me into starting to meditate more. I think this book is a great complement to your faith, whatever it is, and helps you connect to yourself on more of a spiritual level. ---To find yourself spiritually. I love the concept of the inner spirit guide and I found the tapping technique to release negative energy and judgement very beneficial. The book is just there to get y ...more
Gina
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Gabby doesn’t disappoint. No truly new information, just great reminders in the tone of a chat with a good friend. A spiritual pep talk, if you will, and encouragement to stay on the path.
Eliza
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For six weeks, I immersed myself in Gabby’s Judgment Detox. I took notes, said the prayers, and performed the meditations. Some parts made me nod in agreement; some parts made me cry.

All in all, this book & its method reshaped my life.

I confronted my triggers. I realized that my trademark petty came from a place of inadequacy, fear, and attack. I forgave my first love. I talked to my father for the first time in years.

And I’m not even close to done implementing the lessons I le
Kimberly Yeager - Bowden
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Threw me when she started talking about Joel Osteen and receiving an important message from him through a program on tv she happened to turn on, but I got over it quickly. One of the things I love about Bernstein is that she does not promote Christianity or any other set religion, only to be open to the Universe. Joel Osteen makes me want to gag, but I can also see that messages can be provided to us in ways we may least expect. I was forced to look at my own judgement at this point in the book. ...more
Sharee Gibson
There is nothing earth shattering in this book. There are few great setups and reminders in the beginning. After the first 20 min of reading, you’ve captured all the value and the rest of the book just beats on those same points with no deeper evidence or thought along the way. I think this would have made an excellent blog post. Reading this felt a bit like a student trying to reach a certain page length for an assignment when they could have better answered the prompt in a single page.
Overall
Maria
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking at this cover and thinking “Nah, I’m good. I don’t need to read this,” that means you should! Excellent book with tips you can apply immediately. Release your judgment through the powerful tapping exercise. I was surprised to find myself crying as I did it. What a release! Judgment - especially self judgment - is a work in progress, but this book will help you let some of that $hi* go. 🙌🏻
Dixie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to have a lot of truth that I can pull out and use within the Christian world view through which I process life. It was pan-theistic to a degree that I felt somewhat uncomfortable buying into it fully.
I voluntarily read an advanced review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley and offer my honest opinion in response.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
KrisTina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I put myself on hold for this book and thought - hmmmm whatever. But after listening to this book, I want to buy it and go through all her steps. Just the past few days I have noticed myself "judging" in ways that I never would have characterized it as "judging' before but I can see how it does nothing to benefit anyone and instead just makes me miss out on amazing things. Anyone want to be my check-in partner and go through the whole process together? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Sam
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernstein’s discussion of judgement prompts you to question and be more mindful, when passing judgement on others and the effect it may be having on yourself. Bernstein suggests that judgement is a separation from love and comes from a place of fear, isolation and loneliness; thus those who judge most are actually calling for love. It is only when we feel unsafe or like we are not good enough that we attack and judge others. An automatic judgement, if not questioned, may in the short term allow ...more
Johanna
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like others say, it's difficult to judge a book about judgement. I think when it is uncomfortable, it is a really good sign that we need to dig deeper within ourselves why we feel this way. What do we need to work on? What needs to change? How can we improve? I listened to this book on audible and probably would have preferred to read the physical book too, to facilitate the exercises better. But there is nothing wrong with the audio version. This is a book you have to digest over time and come ...more
Angela Jones
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure--I haven't finished this yet. I may never finish this book. It may not be the sort of book a person is ever meant to finish and shelve away. This book is hard. It requires you to go deep within yourself and evaluate your own judgement--without judging. See? Hard. This book makes me realize how often I judge myself and other people and how reliant I have been upon judgement to numb my pain.

What this book does is makes you aware of who you judge and asks you to delve de
Tonya Hartman
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read from this author, and I enjoyed it. The title grabbed my attention, so I instantly set my own expectations for the content. There is a lot of great advice that can apply to anyone as long as the reader heeds the warning not to judge the spiritual perspective. We all have difference religious/belief backgrounds and could easily get tripped up over the definition of God and/or Holy Spirit. If you are capable of reading the book through your belief lens, it will not ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Rise Sister Rise: A Guide to Unleashing the Wise, Wild Woman Within
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Tears to Triumph: The Spiritual Journey from Suffering to Enlightenment
  • Light is the New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Soul's Callings and Working Your Light
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • A Tribe Called Bliss: Break Through Superficial Friendships, Create Real Connections, Reach Your Highest Potential
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Self-Love Experiment: Fifteen Principles for Becoming More Kind, Compassionate, and Accepting of Yourself
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
  • Raise Your Vibration: 111 Practices to Increase Your Spiritual Connection
  • The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
  • The Beautiful No: And Other Tales of Trial, Transcendence, and Transformation
  • The Science of Positivity: Stop Negative Thought Patterns by Changing Your Brain Chemistry
  • How to Communicate Like a Buddhist
Gabrielle Bernstein has been labeled by the New York Times as the next-generation guru. A motivational speaker, life coach, and author, she is expanding the lexicon for the seekers of today and tomorrow. She gives talks and leads seminars throughout the country, is on the Forbes list of the 20 Best Branded Women, and has been featured in media outlets such as Oprah Radio, Marie Claire, Health, Sel ...more
“Judgment is the number one reason we feel blocked, sad, and alone. Our popular culture and media place enormous value on social status, looks, racial and religious separation, and material wealth. We are made to feel less than, separate, and not good enough, so we use judgment to insulate ourselves from the pain of feeling inadequate, insecure, or unworthy. It’s easier to make fun of, write off, or judge someone for a perceived weakness of theirs than it is to examine our own sense of lack.” 3 likes
“The root cause of all judgment is the fear of not being good enough, not being worthy of love, and not being safe.” 1 likes