Start by marking “Judgment Detox: Release the Beliefs That Hold You Back from Living A Better Life” as Want to Read:

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Gabrielle Bernstein comes a clear, proactive, step-by-step process to release the beliefs that hold you back from living a better life.

This six-step practice offers many promises. Petty resentments will disappear, compassion will replace attack, the energy of resistance will transform into freedom and you’ll feel more peace and hap
Published January 2nd 2018 by Gallery Books

Start your review of Judgment Detox: Release the Beliefs That Hold You Back from Living A Better Life
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
I’m upset! Where do I even start. First of all, I’ve read of all berstein’s book and not a fan per say, but somehow ended up riding along her popularity. Some of them are good, most of them not so good. And you guys, I love self-help, personal-development, and spirituality books, so I’ve read it all, heard it all. She’s certainly been through a lot and is brave for sharing her experiences, but I find that many of her teachings, ideas, and concepts are borrowed from others making it her own.
I’m
Steve Sanders
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bernstein dials back on the mysticism of her earlier works enough to make Judgment Detox accessible even to skeptics like me. The book provides a simple yet effective technique for identifying and eradicating resentment and its toxic effects from your day to day life.

(Docked one star for the shout out she gives to Joel Osteen who this Houstonian isn’t yet enlightened enough to forgive for keeping his church closed during Harvey.)
Kirk
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t finish it. Right out of the pen the book started casting normal human behavior (from a social psychology perspective) as potentially “toxic.” There’s a certain degree of naiveté you have to have in order to approach this book. I guess you could say I failed the judgment detox.

I’m okay with that 👌
Mandi
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
There have been a couple of Gabby’s books which literally were life changing for me. This wasn’t one of them. The first half felt forced and I almost didn’t finish it. I’m glad that I did, because I did feel that some of the last chapters were helpful.
Erin
Jan 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this read. She lost me when she said the pain of the far right was the same as oppressed groups in the US. This book drips in a white privileged worldview and is eye roll worthy.
Drobg62
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not find much of value

Purchased this book after hearing the author on a podcast. It is a subject that I am quite interested on different levels but this book provided little information that I found helpful. The author seems to borrow many ideas without exhibiting much real depth of understanding. While her candid self revelations might be refreshing for some I was somewhat taken aback by her seeming lack of mastery on a subject she was authoring a book about.
Rachel
This was my first time reading a Gabby Bernstein book. I took a look at it because of all the hype surrounding her work these days! I felt that there were some inspiring lines and good prompts to create positive change and inner freedom. I appreciated the themes of recognizing the wounds at the core of our judgments, embracing forgiveness, seeing each other through the compassionate lens of common humanity, and surrendering control. The book was very new-agey, so the advice felt mostly like gett ...more
Jess Macallan
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
I've read most of Gabby Bernstein's books, and Judgment Detox will satisfy readers who love her forthright but loving teaching style. And like her other books, it will challenge readers to face plenty of uncomfortable thoughts and moments with the ultimate goal of freeing them from that unnecessary emotional weight.

What I like best about this book is that she clearly and thoughtfully takes readers through techniques to acknowledge and address the judgments that hold them hostage. The tools are s
Melissa
May 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I cannot get into this book. It's written like a church sermon - lots of discussion of prayer examples and 'going into the light'. Also, her examples are ludicrous. She lost me completely at page 39 in her example of how you might judge academic know-it-alls because when you where in 6th grade, the smart popular boy you had a crush on told you that you were stupid. I shut the book at that point and will happily return it to the library, the remaining pages unread.

I definitely could use a judgme
Peg Samuel
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concept of judgement holding us back is thought-provoking, Gabby makes it relatable & easy to understand giving a toolbox full of actionable directions to guide us back to a joyful & serene existence.
Richard Haynes
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book, my new mantra is "Today I will judge nothing that occurs". Off to a good start. Thanks. ...more
Kathryn
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A relatable, unexpectedly relevant follow up to ‘A New Earth;’ which I finished a few weeks back. I’m so glad I found this gem. I loved Eckhart Tolle’s wisdom, but putting things into practice on a relatable level is something this book guides you through with simplicity and approachability. As I stumbled through Gabby’s 6 steps of judgement detox, I could almost instantly feel the freedom associated with forgiveness, which was much needed. There was some intense underlying emotional issues I ha ...more
Jennifer  Blau
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is more powerful than we know. It was too powerful for my brain earlier in the year. I set it down after listing my judgments in the first chapter, thinking “I just can’t do this right now.” Turns out, I wasn’t ready to let go of those judgments. They still felt justified to me.

Two weeks ago and after a LOT of rough patches of life this year, I picked it up again wanting to Love over Hate. Note: I still felt like my judgments were justified, but I was WILLING to set a different intent
Katie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Did not realize that so much of this would be about not judging those who voted differently than you in the 2016 election. Sorry, but if you have no regrets about voting for someone who allows kids to be held in deplorable conditions worse than prisons and separated from their parents, I'm going to judge the hell out of you. Also, Gabrielle cites some really questionable people- Joel Osteen, Wayne Dyer- so I think I'm done reading anything by her. ...more
Tab Cipuzak
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Very repetitive and redundant. AND repetitive. AND redundant.

And repetitive.
Johanna
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like others say, it's difficult to judge a book about judgement. I think when it is uncomfortable, it is a really good sign that we need to dig deeper within ourselves why we feel this way. What do we need to work on? What needs to change? How can we improve? I listened to this book on audible and probably would have preferred to read the physical book too, to facilitate the exercises better. But there is nothing wrong with the audio version. This is a book you have to digest over time and come ...more
Daria Zeoli
I am judgmental, a grudge-holder. I strive to be more compassionate with myself and others. This book gives six steps that, when practiced, lead one away from judgment and towards live.

While I’ve not begun my own judgment detox, having read this book over the past week, I plan to go back and follow the steps. Journaling and meditation are two practices I’ve long wanted to do successfully, and tapping has interested me after hearing about it over the past year or two. Bernstein’s approach - givin
Maria
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking at this cover and thinking “Nah, I’m good. I don’t need to read this,” that means you should! Excellent book with tips you can apply immediately. Release your judgment through the powerful tapping exercise. I was surprised to find myself crying as I did it. What a release! Judgment - especially self judgment - is a work in progress, but this book will help you let some of that $hi* go. 🙌🏻
Angela Jones
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure--I haven't finished this yet. I may never finish this book. It may not be the sort of book a person is ever meant to finish and shelve away. This book is hard. It requires you to go deep within yourself and evaluate your own judgement--without judging. See? Hard. This book makes me realize how often I judge myself and other people and how reliant I have been upon judgement to numb my pain.

What this book does is makes you aware of who you judge and asks you to delve deep into why
Laurie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every few years, I come upon a book that is life changing. I read this at the right time for me. All the puzzle pieces are clicking into place. The Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) exercises, the prayers, the meditations and the journal that comes with it all have transformed how I am living my life.

At first I thought, how can I do this? Not judge anyone for anything? Jeez. That is impossible. Especially self judgment. I am my harshest critic. But the more I let go of judgment and accept peopl
ABAgail
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? Where can I begin?

Personally, I loved it. I've read several law of attraction and self-help books, and never before now have I read one that indicates that occurrences like racism stem from a lack of love. From my experience, it's usually a topic that I crave the author's perspective on, but never truly get. This was a topic that Bernstein touched on and I was a fan. She brought in present day issues and explained how lack of judgement can rid us of all that garba
Eliza
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For six weeks, I immersed myself in Gabby’s Judgment Detox. I took notes, said the prayers, and performed the meditations. Some parts made me nod in agreement; some parts made me cry.

All in all, this book & its method reshaped my life.

I confronted my triggers. I realized that my trademark petty came from a place of inadequacy, fear, and attack. I forgave my first love. I talked to my father for the first time in years.

And I’m not even close to done implementing the lessons I learned during thi
Lynne
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was published in early 2018. The first chapter uses the 2016 US election as an example of how people judge each other, and at one point centres a woman that voted Republican. “Tone-deaf” doesn’t even begin to describe what this feels like reading it at the beginning of 2019. I can’t imagine what a person of colour or LGBTQ+ would think. Who cares if a middle aged white lady feels judged for voting in a bigoted administration?

Bernstein’s Add More Ing to your Life was quite good and it
Donna
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the first Gabrielle Bernstein book that I have read. I found the concepts very interesting and it was a great guide for me into starting to meditate more. I think this book is a great complement to your faith, whatever it is, and helps you connect to yourself on more of a spiritual level. ---To find yourself spiritually. I love the concept of the inner spirit guide and I found the tapping technique to release negative energy and judgement very beneficial. The book is just there to get y ...more
Janet Savill
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to put this book down a third of the way through but I thought, am I judging this book?

I finished reading it and still felt the same way as I did in the first few chapters: the topic is important but what you get out of this book really depends on how you feel about the author. Bernstein spends time relating anecdotes from her life and work that may resonate with fans but fell flat for me.

I won't be using her "6 Step" techniques for releasing judgement but I did find it helpful to tak
Elaine Moore
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A spiritual activist, Bernstein writes that the act of judgment or judging others is an addiction response to deep-rooted trauma. By choosing this fear and separation instead of love, we become disassociated from our truth. This leads to an obsession with an outward projection of who we think we are.
By healing judgment we're forced to live in reality and accept unconditional love. Bernstein offers a series of steps such as meditation that lead to this healing.
I think that judgment is a learned
Kimberly Yeager - Bowden
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Threw me when she started talking about Joel Osteen and receiving an important message from him through a program on tv she happened to turn on, but I got over it quickly. One of the things I love about Bernstein is that she does not promote Christianity or any other set religion, only to be open to the Universe. Joel Osteen makes me want to gag, but I can also see that messages can be provided to us in ways we may least expect. I was forced to look at my own judgement at this point in the book. ...more
Gina
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Gabby doesn’t disappoint. No truly new information, just great reminders in the tone of a chat with a good friend. A spiritual pep talk, if you will, and encouragement to stay on the path.
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Borrowed library edition and ended up buying my own copy. It seems a promising practice.
Steph
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. I might need to buy a hard copy of this one.

• Judgement Detox​​​​​​​: by Gabrielle Bernstein | Conversation Starters
  • A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"
  • Everything is Figureoutable
  • Badass Habits: Cultivate the Awareness, Boundaries, and Daily Upgrades You Need to Make Them Stick
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships
  • A Course in Miracles Made Easy: Mastering the Journey from Fear to Love
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • Tears to Triumph: The Spiritual Journey from Suffering to Enlightenment
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • Yoga Mind: Journey Beyond the Physical, 30 Days to Enhance your Practice and Revolutionize Your Life From the Inside Out
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Warrior Goddess Training: Become the Woman You Are Meant to Be
  • The Audacity to Be Queen: The Unapologetic Art of Dreaming Big and Manifesting Your Most Fabulous Life
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
  • Light is the New Black: A Guide to Answering Your Soul's Callings and Working Your Light
  • The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
Gabrielle Bernstein has been labeled by the New York Times as the next-generation guru. A motivational speaker, life coach, and author, she is expanding the lexicon for the seekers of today and tomorrow. She gives talks and leads seminars throughout the country, is on the Forbes list of the 20 Best Branded Women, and has been featured in media outlets such as Oprah Radio, Marie Claire, Health, Sel ...more