Start by marking “When Your Llama Needs a Haircut” as Want to Read:
When Your Llama Needs a Haircut

When Your Llama Needs a Haircut

When it’s picture day and you realize your llama needs a haircut, you’ll need a good comb and some luck! This charming and hilarious board book features one shaggy llama and a whole lot of hairstyles!

Uh-oh. It’s picture day and someone's a mess! Does your llama need a haircut?

After a hilarious shampoo, it’s time to decide which style would be best for your shaggy llama. A
Board Book, 26 pages
Published January 2nd 2018 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about When Your Llama Needs a Haircut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Your Llama Needs a Haircut

Julie Rowan-Zoch
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Storytime gang LOVED this! Toddlers between 1 and 4 shouting out responses to the hairstyles under consideration, discussing how they like or don’t like getting their hair washed or cut! The illustrations are adorable and SO funny!
Donna L L.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I found out my friend, author Susanna Leonard Hill, was releasing a new series of board books, I offered to review one. My friends know I'm not likely to give a favorable BOOK NOOK REVIEW unless I sincerely like the book I've been given.

The day WHEN YOUR LLAMA NEEDS A HAIRCUT came in the mail, I was having a very rough time at work. I thought I would give Susanna's book a quick read and then delve deeper into it at a later time. I found myself actually chuckling out loud at some of the ad
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-book
Picture day is coming - and your llama is looking a little on the shaggy side. Time to give him a spiffy new haircut so he can look his best. But first you have to catch your llama, then you have to wash his hair and comb out all the tangles, and of course, he will complain. Once that is done, you have to decide on what style to give your llama, who sure is squirmy around those scissors...uh oh. Well, sometimes, you and your llama need a new picture day haircut. This delightful book will have yo ...more
Teresa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s always a joy to read a book that appeals to both kids and adults and “When Your Llama Needs a Haircut” does that! Simultaneously sweet and humorous, the story will tickle kids’ funny bones and possibly make them re-think the next time they have a tantrum about getting tidied up for a class photo. It will also bring back memories for adults from when they were little themselves and resisting grooming and haircuts (ah, the classic bowl cut…). And, honestly, who doesn’t love llamas?

Daniel Wis
Ingrid
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again, full disclosure here. I'm a Susanna Leanord Hill fan so of course I jumped at the chance to review her newest adorable picture book. But for this one, I had my 16 year old daughter reading with me on the first read. She is a tough audience who doesn't always appreciate the picture book genre. However, Llama got two thumbs up! As she said, the magic is in how the Daniel Wiseman's extremely clever illustrations complement the sweet, funny story and send it over the top. You've got to s ...more
Robyn
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Hill's newest story is one of her best (but then, every single book she writes is her best). The hilarious story of the llama and all those hairstyles. What little one would not love this story? Ms. Hill's writing is the best I have ever seen. She connects with the children, and each child feels like she wrote the story just for them. The illustrations are funny and so cute. Will the child persuade his llama to get the haircut? You have to read it to find out. You will read it again and agai ...more
Rene Aube
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't want to look nice on class picture day? Llama, of course!

Susanna Hill takes readers on a rollicking romp to try to make Llama look his best. All the cuteness is topped off with a fun, giggle inducing surprise. Illustrations portray wonderful expressions any llama would have when you decide your llama needs a haircut! Enjoy!!
Suzy Leopold
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's picture day. Who doesn't want to look dapper? Of course, llama does. To look his best, he'll need some help with the perfect hair style. Who better to help llama than a young boy who wants to look good on picture day, too.

This delightful book is sure to have little ones saying, "Read it again!" The charming book is filled with colorful illustrations sure to entice giggles.

This series is written in a similar fashion to author Laura Numeroff's "If You Give..." series. I look forward to read
Kirsti Call
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Susanna Leonard Hill's books. This one, like all her boardbooks in this series, is hilarious:

"When your llama needs a haircut, you have to be a little bit tricky. Llamas usually think their hair looks just fine." This text is paired with an illustration of the lama with flowers and twigs stuck in his hair.

I especially enjoyed the pages where the type of haircut for the llama is debated. My son laughed out loud at the perm picture. This is great book to read just for fun, or also to get y
Cindy Schrauben
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHEN YOUR LLAMA NEEDS A HAIRCUT depicts a young boy's attempt to give his llama the perfect haircut for picture day. The comical options take us on a lively adventure - trimming a wiggly llama can get a bit tricky. But, in the end, Hill shows us that it's all about embracing the day. What a fun read!
Leona
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
funny pics
Kimberly
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
If the picture of the llama with a bowl cut doesn't instantly cheer you up, I don't know what will.
Kirsten
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love llama and his lovely hair. Little ones will delight in Daniel Wiseman's adorable illustrations, and Susanna Hill's hilarious step-by-step story featuring the perfect picture day haircut. Or is it?
Rebecca Gomez
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny and relatable.
Juliana Lee
School picture day is coming up and llama needs a haircut. Of course there's no easy way to get your llama to agree so you just have to grab him and go. The decision is which hair style to go with... bowl cut, mohawk, perm, or something completely different. To convince your llama you might have to demonstrate on yourself first, resulting in a hilarious school photo!
Sam
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute story about a reluctant llama who needs a haircut and the intrepid child who is trying to convince his llama to get one. Great illustrations and quite a fun read.
Dee
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely adorable! The whole series in now one of my favorites. If you haven't read this one, or WHEN YOUR LION NEEDS A BATH and WHEN YOUR ELEPHANT HAS THE SNIFFLES, check them out and you'll be smiling.

These would be a great gift for new parents, teachers, and young kids, and a perfect addition to your own library. :)

Highly recommend!
Katie Hill
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book!
Heather Preusser
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-pb
Written in second person, this adorable story about a llama in desperate need of a haircut is sure to be accessible and entertaining to young readers. The third installment in the series (I love the allusion to Elephant and Lion in the class photo), this is my new go-to gift for babies -- and llamas.
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! If you have a llama, to be sure it will one day need a haircut. There are certain steps to be taken, of course, and something is sure to be challenging. Very enjoyable and funny story. Great (and funny) illustrations.
Cynthia Miller
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely charming -- one of those books with an ending that makes not just children, but parents too, feel safe and warm and connected. Susanna Leonard Hill and Daniel Wiseman have perfectly captured the spirit of children who don't want to deal with the classic fix-your-hair-for-picture-day routine, and those who love them. There's something so perfectly wacky about a Llama playing this role, and the story lands with such a happy, warm, connected feeling. I love these illustrations -- I think ...more
Jillian
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute book about how to convince your child llama that they need to look somewhat presentable for picture day. I was actually kind of sad that they went with a basic trim instead of one of the more fun suggestions. (After all, as long as school rules allow it, why not let your kid express themselves the way they want? Even if they learn that although a certain style is cool, it involves more maintenance than they're willing to put into it? Hair is so temporary, after all.)
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A llama needs a haircut, but he doesn't want one. (Are you a parent? Does this problem sound a bit familiar?)

This little board book explores all one's haircut options and culminates in a satisfying ending that may resonate with children. It's filled with light humor and gentle fun, and, best of all, it also speaks to a problem many children face.
Erin Buhr
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute story about a llama who needs a haircut for picture day. I'm once again a little puzzled about the intended audience. This is shared in board book format but I would have picked a picture book just because I think the subject appeals a little more to preschool and up - but it's fun and cute and should be in the hands of little silly-book fans.
Ashley Adkins
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy read about a llama who needs a haircut for the younger audience. Illustrations are very simple and support the simple text. This seems like another "How-To" book for young kids with a similar voice as many others.
Tori
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Llamas don't like haircuts, apparently. They think their hair looks fine the way it is. So if you want your llama to look good on picture day, follow these step by step instructions.
A silly book that will go over well at preK storytime.
Heather
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable! I wish this was available in a bigger size to read at storytime (it's only available as a board book).
Emily
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Funny thoughts on cutting your llama's hair and how, in this case, it turned into the little boy's haircut day too.
Sarah Wiwchar
Really good. PreK was very involved in this one and they loved the different hair styles.
Lauren
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super fun series of books!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • I Just Ate My Friend
  • Duck & Goose: Goose Needs a Hug
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Sir Simon: Super Scarer
  • Tickle
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • Goldfish on Vacation
  • Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back?
  • A Well-Mannered Young Wolf
  • My Friends Make Me Happy! (The Giggle Gang, #3)
  • Good Morning, Superman!
  • Busing Brewster
  • My Dad Used to Be So Cool
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • This Is a Ball
  • もう ぬげない
  • The Great Thanksgiving Escape
  • Nothing
I am the author of a number of books for children including Punxsutawney Phyllis (a Book Sense Children's Pick and an Amelia Bloomer Feminist Books for Youth pick) and No Sword Fighting In The House (a Junior Library Guild Selection.) I love visiting schools and libraries and sharing reading and writing with kids. Although at age 3 I planned to drive a steam roller, I have since discovered that wr ...more