Start by marking “The Haunted House Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Haunted House Next Door

The Haunted House Next Door

(Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol #1)

Meet Desmond Cole! A fearless eight-year-old who runs his own ghost patrol, looking for ghosts, monsters, and mischief makers everywhere. Oh, and he just so happens to be my new best friend…and thank goodness! Because I’m afraid of everything.

Welcome to Kersville, a town with a spooky history and a collection of ghosts and spirits who are major mischief-makers. Most kids
Published December 12th 2017 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted House Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted House Next Door

Start your review of The Haunted House Next Door
Raina
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creepyish, j
Great, accessible bridge-level book.

This fit right into my elementary school tour line-up. I'm always looking for a high-appeal bridge chapter book, and it's always good to take some J-level horror. There are a couple of scenes in here that gave me the shivers, and I liked the Ghostbusters-like elements. The size, shape, illustrations, and font all ramp up its accessibility to early elementary readers.

I loved that the plot featured characters of color. I wish, however, that it had not been
Andi M.
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greyson
Cute, quick read. My 7-year-old son will love this.
Montague
this book is about one of the main charters living in a haunted house.I rated it three stars because I
liked it but the story was not very long and they just said go away ghost and the ghost went away they did not even fight and have a huge epic fight and there is a lot of ghost.
Laura Komos
This will make a great starting point on a ladder for striving middle grade readers. For those who are building their stamina for reading longer novels and those who want to read creepy ghost stories who aren't quite ready, they could start here!
Christina Carter
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-excursion
Moving to a new town is never all too easy. It’s something that Andres has gotten used to though since his scientist parents have a top-secret job working for the government. They move all the time! Andres just wants life to be normal. The town of Kersville is no ordinary place though. When some rather strange, unexplained things begin to happen in his new home, Andres realizes that he just might need the services of the kooky kid he met who lives next door, Desmond Cole of Ghost Patrol. The two ...more
Marshall
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mehsi
Ghosts, friendship, and wonderful illustrations! Just be careful of lasagne!

Yep, even in my books I am seeking out the ghosts! I believe I saw this one being promoted on Twitter and reading a short excerpt on Amazon made me want to read it. Thankfully Amazon delivers pretty fast and so I could read it without much delay.

Meet Andres, he just moved away (again it seems) and he isn't happy with it all. Not to mention that his mom is trying to get him a friend (mom, please). Oh, and did I mention
Kate Foran
Desmond Cole is a close to perfect emerging reader chapter book.
The pacing is like a mystery/thriller - with slightly bigger than average text and pictures on every page. It's not intimidating at all--but it still looks and feels like a real chapter book. Even better, the protagonists are boys of color. "Miedoso means scaredy-cat!" one of my brilliant students noticed.

Two copies of this book have been in the classroom library since last week, and 3 students have finished this book already. One
Angie
My Review: Munchkin received this book quite a while ago and I honestly thought about donating it because it was above his reading level and he is easily triggered for nightmares. I decided first to give it a read. I was pretty pleasantly surprised by this one, it turned out not to be as spooky as the title indicates. It is also a nice transitional book from beginning readers to early chapter books. I did find it a little odd how the mother calls Andres by a term in another language but it isn't ...more
Diane
"Yep. That's a ghost. He's seconds away from sliming our brand new sofa ... and me!"

Andres Miedoso, a normal-boring kid who likes being normal-boring, has just moved into a new house with his family. They move around a lot because his parents have a top secret job ... "oops, I probably shouldn't tell you that." On his first day, he meets his neighbor, Desmond Cole, a kid who carries a card that says GHOST PATROL - No Ghost Too Tricky. Andres doesn't know quite what to make of Desmond.

But it
Melanie Dulaney
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Andres Miedoso brings a well-illustrated book designed for students who are ready for chapter books but still need a little encouragement to stick with it till the end. That encouragement in this gem comes from two very real sounding 8 year olds in a town that any kid could live in, but with a twist-ghosts abound. Meet Desmond, who has a knack for finding and handling ghosts, and new to town Andres, who takes great comfort in his very boring life. For a book written for readers who are new to ...more
Martha
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-3-chapter-book
Finding action packed chapter books for young girl readers is simple, and I do believe books shouldn't be labeled girl or boy books, but sometimes boys want to read adventures about young boys their age. Young Andres Miedoso has to move to a new neighborhood because his scientists parents who work on a top secret project, have to move a lot in their job. He soon meets clever Desmond Cole, who is black, he hands his "Ghost Patrol" card to Andres on their first meeting. Scary, ominous things begin ...more
Brinn
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one! I will be using it with my K5&1st grade summer school class for our book club. I can't wait to see how they like it.
Andres moves to a new house for his parent's jobs (the real mystery of this book is what his parent's jobs are) and he discovers that spooky things are happening in his house! Luckily his new neighbor Desmond Cole happens to be a ghost hunter, and the two team up to save Andres's house!
I loved that the characters in this book look like my students, and that
Misbah
Andres Miedoso has just moved to Kersville and he's not too excited about adjusting to a new town, yet again.
His mother encourages him to make friends with his new neighbor Desmond but the kid seems weird too him. But Andres soon realizes that he needs Desmond's help when a ghostly presence starts haunting his new home. Desmond is the local ghost expert and he quickly discovers that a ghost named Zax is haunting Andres home.
Zax turns out to be an ok ghost so Andres lets him continue to haunt
Babbling Chatter  Reads
Review brought to you by my kindergartner :

I really like this book because of the many funny events in the story. I also like this book because Desmond is a really cool guy. - 5 stars

Thoughts from his Mama :

A fun and surprisingly easy to listen and read with my little one. He read most of it on his own plus learned new words to add to his vocabulary. This was a good book to read and discuss along the way what was happening and why. - 4 stars
Penny
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, kids, fantasy
Andres moves to a new twin and meets his next door neighbor Desmond, who is a ghost expert. Spooky, strange things happen, a ghost is discovered, and a solution is found. Great for kids who are getting into chapter books who want a not-too-scary humorous ghost story. The font is big and there are lots of pictures. There is also ghost barf which will appeal to the target audience. I appreciate the diversity of the characters.
Kerrie Mierop
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andres Miedoso is once again moving. However, this time he meets Desmond Cole and the two become friends, which is good as Andres has a ghost in his new home. This is a fun and nicely written beginning chapter book that will appeal to children in first through third grade. The events are not too scary and the story moves fast which makes the book exciting and children will want to keep reading to see what happens next. Great beginning chapter book.
Margaret Boling
3/23/2018 ~~ Seems to be modeled a little too closely on the Notebook of Doom series, but a solid addition to the field of "Junior Fiction" (transitional or early chapter books). Like many transitional chapter book series, the books have a large font and many illustrations; likewise, they won't have to be read in order.

I appreciate the African American and Hispanic characters on the cover.
Munro's Kids
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating is more like 3.5 stars, but I liked it enough to err on the side of 4. It's pretty straightforward: boy moves to new town, meets boy next door, finds out he has a haunted house - but it's okay because his new friend is a ghost hunter! They have a small adventure and the ghost turns out to be pretty friendly. It's not really scary or anything, so it's good for younger readers.
emyrose8
I'm not a ghost-loving person, so the subject matter was already 'meh' for me before I read it. Still, I can see that kids will enjoy this series. Not too much plot in the first book; most of it is introducing the characters and setting. The following books are probably more action-packed.
Jodie
I thought this would be a fun series for my nephew for Halloween season. I was a little worried with the few spooky spots in this first one, but in the end, the ghost is fun and goofy, not spooky. I think he will enjoy this one.
Kim
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, early-chapter
Andres moves in next door to Desmond and soon learns that his new town is spoooooky. Desmond is on it though as he is the one that kids turn to to get rid of ghosts. A wonderful early chapter book series for those young ones looking to be scared.
Diana
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is an easy read and great for young readers. My 5 year old loved it! We’ll be reading the second in the series next.

The rating is more like 3.5 stars.

I just thought it was a little too simple of a plot structure.

Good read!
Michael
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-kids-books
Charming chapter book about a boy moving to a new town, his new friend the ghost hunter, and the very friendly ghost who haunts his new home. Good for young readers ready to have a little more text and a little bit less illustration per page.
Lynnek
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
We read this with our kids book club on my niece’s suggestion. She loves and has read the whole series multiple times. Colston and I were more like warm to the book. I don’t know that either of us will read more of the series, but it was fine.
Donna
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Fun story about a boy who meets the ghost haunting his house. At first, he is really scared and runs. But before long he trusts his new neighbor friend to help him. First in a series that will appeal to those students ready for chapters.

DRC from Edelweiss and Simon & Schuster
Jesse
Okay, that was adorable! I love that the ghost sticks around at the end. <3
Cherie Nef
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute. Excellent for the entire library.
Lauren
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Andres moves into a new house, and strange things start happening. Will Andres need to use his neighbor, Desmond's, ghost fighting services? New chapter book readers will love this series.
Susan
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute emergent reader series for boys.

• Stealing the Sword: A Branches Book (Time Jumpers #1)
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Meet Yasmin!
  • Mac Undercover (Mac B., Kid Spy #1)
  • Mia Mayhem Is a Superhero!
  • Rise of the Balloon Goons (The Notebook of Doom, #1)
  • Grilled Cheese and Dragons (Princess Pulverizer #1)
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • How to Read a Book
  • The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1)
  • The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk, #1)
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Fergus and Zeke
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack, #1)
  • New Shoes
  • Dragons in a Bag (Dragons in a Bag #1)

Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol (8 books)
  • Ghosts Don't Ride Bikes, Do They? (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #2)
  • Surf's Up, Creepy Stuff! (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #3)
  • Night of the Zombie Zookeeper (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #4)
  • The Scary Library Shusher (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #5)
  • Major Monster Mess (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #6)
  • The Sleepwalking Snowman (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #7)
  • Campfire Stories (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #8)