Start by marking “Aftermath” as Want to Read:
Aftermath

Aftermath

Three years after losing her brother Luka in a school shooting, Skye Gilchrist is moving home. But there's no sympathy for Skye and her family because Luka wasn't a victim; he was a shooter.

Jesse Mandal knows all too well that the scars of the past don't heal easily. The shooting cost Jesse his brother and his best friend--Skye.

Ripped apart by tragedy, Jesse and Skye can
Published May 22nd 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.
Leah Like a second book? Probably not. Although you could ask the author, Kelley Armstrong
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,292 books — 4,757 voters
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,037 books — 5,332 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
It is easy to blame the wrong person.

It is easy for people to blame Skye for her brother’s sins. It’s harder for them to look at her and put themselves in her shoes, to imagine what her life must be like and how hurt she must feel.

She lost her brother, after all, even if he did participate in a high school shooting.

I claim that it’s easy, because I once blamed the wrong person for somebody else’s mistake, too. I wasn’t thinking clearly. All that I knew was that my brother had done something unc
Chelsea Humphrey
4.5 STARS

"I didn't HAVE to," she says. "I chose to. Sometimes, showing compassion for others means doing things that are painful for us."

Folks, this is a book that will stay with me indefinitely. One of the more beautiful aspects of YA fiction is how it can completely take you by surprise by simultaneously sweeping you off your feet and doubling you over with a punch to the gut. This is such a book. I finished Aftermath days ago and my emotions are persisting in their wide range of feelings. Obv
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
There’s grief, too, but I bury that even faster. You aren’t allowed to grieve for someone like Luka. It doesn’t matter if he was an amazing brother. Luka Gilchrist was a monster. Write it on the board a hundred times and don’t ever forget it.

I can't deny being apprehensive about reading this book due to the school shooting subject matter. I am happy I ended up giving it the shot the book deserved. Aftermath is an extremely relevant book handling a sensitive subject in an empathetic way.

Three
Kat
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-2
Interesting read that chronicles the “aftermath” of a school shooting and the effect on two teens, one the sister of the shooter, the other the brother of a victim. More a mystery/love story than anything psychological.

Trigger warnings: (view spoiler)

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
♥Rachel♥
Aftermath is a story that’s relevant to current times. Living in the States, school shootings are sadly becoming more and more frequent. I’ve often thought of the family of the shooter, how they’re affected when one of their own commits such a horrible crime. Often the family is shocked, blindsided and branded as villains as well.

Aftermath is a fictional story centering on Skylar, the sister of one of the school shooters of a shooting that took place three years ago. My heart went out to her. T
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This book was truly great. I have to admit that when I first saw that this book would involve a school shooting I was really nervous about reading it. Did I really want to read a book about such a terrible event especially in the current climate? I really wasn't sure but I decided to add this book to my reading schedule because I wanted to see what Kelley Armstrong could do with such a terrible event. I haven't read too many books wr
Stacee
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this was amazing.

I loved Skye and Jesse. They’ve both gone through a horrible tragedy, but they’re at different sides of the event. I loved getting both sides of the story and reading them figuring out how to go forward. And Jesse’s mom was one of the best parts.

Plot wise, it was everything I wasn’t expecting. There were definitely some heartbreaking moments, but a major part of this story is a mystery and it’s absolutely delicious. There are a lot of creepy moments and I spent a good
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
There really isn't a whole lot that Armstrong can't write, in virtually any genre.

The very fact that she combined a very sensitive topic with a mystery and somehow made it both mysterious and heartfelt make it work, is truly a talent not a lot of authors have.

I love that this kept me on the edge of my seat wondering exactly if the main character wasn't slightly unhinged herself or if she really was being bullied and pranked by those that really didn't want her there.

Truly a great stand alone r
Abida's Book Adventures
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book!
Paula  Phillips
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it

A theme of books that I have always been fascinated with is school shootings, I know that makes me sound creepy, but I'm not honest. I guess living in New Zealand, we only hear about the shootings. Kelley Armstrong's book was a different take on your usual school shooting novel which takes place leading up to the shootings. This one features the siblings of victims and shooters three years later. Skye and Jesse were the best of friends until one day changed their lives forever. There has been a
OutlawPoet
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I had to give this one some thought prior to writing my review. I was conflicted.

I really like the author and I found the book was extremely suspenseful.

I also don’t know that I’m ready for the School Shooting YA sub-genre that seems to be on the horizon. My initial thought was…if it’s done well it should be okay.

This largely is. The focus isn’t so much on the shooting itself, but on the aftermath (hence the title). We see the turmoil for the friends and families of the victims, as well as the f
Christy
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picking up this book I expected it to be emotional, I mean, it is about the aftermath of a school shooting, so I was expecting to bawl my eyes out. What I was expecting was the other emotions that I would feel while reading this book.
Anger that no one would listen, fear about what was happening now, and sadness for how things turned out for a certain character that I wish I could’ve known better.
I know that all sounds kind of vague, but trust me, it needs to be that way. You need to go into t
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
*Thank you to the publisher/author/Netgalley for my copy.*

3.5/5. This book is different. I loved the characters of Skye and Jesse and ESPECIALLY JESSE’S MOM. ((Can we get a spin-off of her story? Because I’m pretty sure I love her.))
The characters were nuanced and believable as they deal with the ‘aftermath’ (3 years later) of a very personal school shooting.
Though the story does have a slight mystery/suspense angle to it, I appreciated it more for the characters and reading how they dealt with
Alex's Reads & Reviews
4.5*

This is, obviously, an incredibly tough novel to both read and review. It deals with such a prevalent and important topic, but it is a grievous one all the same, and - considering all of that - was brilliantly done.

This novel follows two characters. One, a boy who lost his brother in a school shooting, and who's life has since fallen off the rails. The other, a girl who lost her brother in the same school shooting. The two were best friends. Until the school shooting, because the girl's br
Didi
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my fave authors, and she's Canadian! Love her work. This was great, especially the flow, something KA is a genius at.
4.5/5 stars

I love Kelley Armstrong. She is one of my favorite authors. I really had no idea what to expect from this book. But I absolutely loved it. Aftermath is a standalone YA suspense book. Skye (16) is the main narrator (1st person POV). This book takes place 3 years after a school shooting (her brother was killed). This book is really not so much about the actual shooting, but rather what life is like a few years later (for both the families of the shooters and the families of the victims)
K.
Trigger warnings: school shooting, gun violence, bullying, stalking, kidnapping, blood, drugging, fire.

3.5 stars.

You guys probably know by now that I'm total trash for Kelley Armstrong's books. And I've really enjoyed her YA thrillers over the past few years, so when I saw that she had a new one out, I immediately grabbed it.

I was pretty much hooked straight away by the concept of a girl having to return to the town and the school where her brother was a school shooter years earlier and the wa
Cindy ~
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this was YA when I went into it and boy did it immediately show. For a book with the deep subject matter that this book is about, it only shows the adults (parents, teachers, cops) as stupid and making the type of mistakes people would lose their jobs over.

For me there was more wrong with this book than there was right. In light of another recent school shooting, the flaws are even more obvious.
eilasoles
Apr 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
I like Kelley Armstrong and even in this book, her writing is pretty flawless ... but the adult characters are all caricatures, and perhaps it's because I'm teaching American teenagers - I find her portrayal of Skye and Jesse rather unbelievable.
Maggie61
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aftermath is the wreckage and devastation after a school shooting three years before. We all read about and hear about school shootings. But then it fades from the news and our lives go on without being greatly impacted. But what about the families of the victims? And the families of the shooters?
Skye and Jesse were 13, best of friends and on free cusp of being something more. And then the shooting happened. Skye’s brother Luka was involved, Jesse’s brother was a victim. In no time at all, Skye
Wendy
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Aftermath” an exciting YA standalone thriller opens three years after Skye Gilchrist’s brother was involved in a school shooting that took the life of four students at North Hampton High School. Feeling guilt, shame and remorse Skye returns to Riverside not only living with her aunt but attending the local collegiate where she faces harassment and bullying from kids who resent that she’s there.

At thirteen, Jesse and Skye were close friends ripped apart and shattered by the tragedy that stole th
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
NZLisaM
Packs an emotional punch!

I thought the author handled a delicate topic with sensitivity and integrity. There were some upsetting scenes, however they were kept to a minimum and were as non-graphic as they could be, and there were no actual flashbacks to the shooting. Instead they focused on the characters before, so as to show just how much the school shooting had not only affected, but also altered the course of their lives irrevocably. The flashbacks also gave us insight into the personalities
Rose
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book written by Kelley Armstrong!
☕️Kimberly
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Not quite what I expected. A solid suspense thriller
Gabriel Ducate
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again Kelley Armstrong does not disappoint. I was a little iffy when reading the synopsis but I'm glad to say the was a fantastic book.

The different perspectives given between Skye and Jesse kept me on the feet... or rooted to be seat. And I liked how it was written in that you were constantly flipping between their perspectives.

The characters were well written and kept me gripped the whole way through.
Siobhan
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kelley Armstrong is an author who made it onto my favourite author list at an incredible speed. I may not have read as many Kelley Armstrong books yet as I would like to be able to claim, but I’m certainly working my way through them whenever I can get my hands on another of her books. In fact, I’m planning to spend a bit of time over the next couple of months playing Kelley Armstrong catch-up, as I desperate need to dive into so many of her series.

Despite my rapid love of Kelley Armstrong, my r
Joy (joyous reads)
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have you ever thought about what it was like for the families of the shooters who killed innocent people? Not in the way that they are victimized, but just how life goes on after one of their own shoot up a school and are labeled as murderers for the rest of their natural born life?

Kelley offers a fascinating perspective into the life of a victim in his or her own way. It was interesting, heartbreaking, and frustrating because this victim is the sister of one of the suspected murderers. She was
Lisa Mandina
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again Armstrong has proven to me that she is an expert at writing a page-turner in any genre. Personally I've only read her young adult books, but I've yet to find one that wasn't a winner. This one is another 5 star read for me. While the main subject of the story has to do with a school shooting, that isn't what the story is. We got parts of the story from both Skye and Jesse's viewpoints, although only Skye's chapters were told in first person, Jesses's chapters were third person, and th ...more
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

Kelley Armstrong has pretty much proven that there is no book that she can’t write and it turning out to be totally amazing! Aftermath is the third YA thriller she’s written and it was just as chilling and eerie as I had hoped it to be! That it deals with a school shooting and in our current time was a little bold, but then I am reminded that books are written a goo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Truth of Right Now
  • Girl Last Seen
  • Shutter
  • My Whole Truth
  • Nearly Found (Nearly Gone, #2)
  • Nothing Left to Burn