Start by marking “Aurabel (Lorali #2)” as Want to Read:
Aurabel (Lorali #2)

Aurabel

(Lorali #2)

The edgiest mermaid ever written about

Forget what you know about mermaids with Laura Dockrill's hilarious, riotous adventure not to be missed.

It has been two years since Rory drowned, and Lorali is in Hastings, living the quiet life of a normal teenage girl. But her safe life on land won't last for long. Life in The Whirl has become a hotbed of underwater politics and
Published June 1st 2017 by Hot Key Books (first published June 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Aurabel, please sign up.
Stine Yes, this is the sequel that continues after Lorali :)

Start your review of Aurabel (Lorali #2)
Sarah Churchill
I really, really love these books. In Lorali I liked the other characters more than I liked Lorali herself, so I'm in love with our new heroine Aurabel. If mermaids were to go a bit Sci-fi... that's Aurabel.

Dockrill's writing is, as always, a pleasure to read, and her poetry background shines through every so often. I've read reviews where people have come in to this book without reading Lorali first... please don't do that! Both books have multiple POVs but you really do need the foundations a
Elizabeth Emily Browne
I love this book and Aurabel is by far my favourite character♥️. Closely followed by Lorali of course. I absolutely love how the author writes these novels they are just so poetic and perfect.

Some threads are too deep and thick to fray. Some lines, in love, outlive the veins.

Aurabel's growth in this is huge. The things she has to overcome are unbelievable and yet she keeps going and not only that but during all this she also saves Lorali. I loved Rory in the last one so I wasn't sure how I
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: May 13th 2017

"Even when two paths spindle off, it doesn't mean they aren't going to meet up, once again, somewhere along the way towards the end."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Hotkey Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
BlurryBug
I'm sad this is over.
I really enjoyed this read, but again I really loved Lorali.
it doesnt follow right after first book but a few years later and it is a nice continuation in my view.
Kirsty
generally a bit bonkers as expected. I did enjoy it for it's randomness but kind of wish I'd made time for a reread of book one first.

These mermaid are not your little mermaid variety of the mermaids. They are bad ass and terrifying.

I do particularly enjoy what the story has to say about crazy internet fans and their insane hysteria and over the topness.
Beth Jones

I read the first book in this series – Lorali – back in May, and you can see from my review that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have liked.

But I bring good news – I enjoyed Aurabel more! I still stand by most of the thing I explained in my previous review, but I definitely liked more about this book.

"Some threads are too deep and thick to fray.”

The story was fast paced and definitely not as confusing! Instead of being mainly on land, this one is base
Tasya Dita
nope nope nope.

i stopped reading at page 122, skim the rest of the book, and i can still tell you what happened in the book without any trouble. i think it shows how dragged the plot is in this book. i love the characters, but didn't care enough to know what will happen about them. also, i can see what will happen very early in the book.

i'm pissed about the ending, like (view spoiler)
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Hold up! This is the sequel to Lorali and there are spoilers abound! Go read that review, buy the book, read it. If you’ve done that already, then sure continue below.

And, guys, my heart is so full.

I absolutely loved Laura Dockrill’s first mermaid novel, Lorali, and I’m really pleased to say that I love Aurabel just as much.

This is a slightly different novel in terms of tone. There is a levity that was brought by The Sea and the pirates that is missing, although comic relief is provided again by
Shannon
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

SEE MY REVIEW HERE!

--------

Review:

Thank you to Hot Key Books for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for a full review.

I read Lorali last year and really enjoyed the novel. I didn't think there was going to be a sequel but I was so happy when I heard that there was one! I actually feel like I enjoyed this novel even more than the first in the series, which is not something I would ever usually think.

Aurabel takes place two years after the end of the previous novel. Lorali is mourning
Judith Moore
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review up on my blog: http://bit.ly/2qq2HNo

(Note, I did not read the first of Dockrill’s books set in this world Lorali but I don’t think this book counts as a sequel in the strictest sense as much of the action concerns an entirely new character) however, it is possible that I missed some of the more interesting elements of the plot this way, in which case I apologise for misleading you…

Setting! A setting is very important and that is the same case for this book. We have the underwater wor
Rebecca Armstrong
Aurabel is the titular character whilst we spend our time under the sea. As tensions rise in the mer society, Sienna is rising up to try and take the crown. But she uses dirty tricks and both Aurabel and Lorali have a bone to pick with her by the end.

I didn't realise this was a second in a series until I was nearly halfway through the book. It's really confusing and definitely isn't able to stand as a standalone book because of this. I struggled to understand terminology, and also the world bui
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aoife
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will preface this review with two notes:
1. I did not realise that Aurabel is actually a sequel to Lorelai until I was at least two thirds through the book and suddenly understood why some things weren't making sense to me or why the author seemed to be assuming knowledge that I couldn't possibly have.
2. The ebook ARC that I got from NetGalley was very poorly formatted which impacted on my reading experience/enjoyment.

This would probably be a five star review if I had read Dockrill's previous b
Hannah Symonds
The cover of this book is absolutely stunning. The picture does not do it any justice. This story follows on from Laura's previous novel Lorali, I do wish I had read that one first as then I would of had a bit of background about all the characters. I did feel as though I was missing out. I don't know if it was just me but I found the forum interactions slightly annoying, I know it is suppose to be teenage fans talking but I couldn't understand some of the text language. I would highly recommend ...more
Bookworm
2017 Booktubeathon's Read A Book I Got Because of the Cover

I enjoyed Lorali (the first book) more than this as I felt it was more entertaining and Lorali to me is just a sweeter character as opposed to Aurabel.

Aurabel is no doubt a very strong character, totally not a wimp, but I didn't enjoy reading about her hatred and vulgarities at one point.

The ending is sweet but a little unexpected. If I were Rory's mum I think I would not agree to the ending...

Victor deserves a book of his own. Would
Alix Long
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had made time for a re-read of Lorali before I dived (pardon the pun) into this, because I was pretty lost at the beginning. However, after a while, I was re-submerged into the magical, crazy, unpredictable world that Dockrill writes so brilliantly. I used to love mermaid books as a kid (mainly Emily Windsnap and Thora) and these two books totally reignited my love. These are mermaids as you have never met them before. Dark, dangerous, tantalizingly fierce. You'd be a fool not to enter ...more
Trshava
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*ebook given through Netgalley in exchange for a honest review*

I loved this book! Characters were awesome,the story was pure magic and the overall atmosphere was enchanting! I enjoyed every minute spent with this book!
Sarah Tinsley
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. Really challenging some gender stereotypes in YA fiction, and giving us a whole new world to explore. Read my review here: https://www.thefword.org.uk/2017/06/a... ...more
Joyce
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first attracted by the beautiful book cover. Took a while for me to understand how each character is related to each other. Enjoyed the interesting ending. However I wished the book has more wholesome words instead.
Jasmine ✨
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the different characters and point of views. Started off a bit slow, but overall it was a good read. Loved it.
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sea-worthy sequel :)
Nicole
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a lovely book, took me a while to get into the world but I still really enjoyed it.
Kimberly
3.5 stronger than the first. Fast. Fun summer read.
John Osborne
Another fun brilliant Laura Dockrill book about a mermaid.
Shanayah
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy, owned
Actual rating: 2.5 stars
Full Review Here

Before starting this book, I didn’t really know what to expect besides mermaids. This was also my first time reading anything by Laura Dockrill, so I didn’t have any expectations besides the first impressions from the cover and the blurb on the back. For some reason the cuteness of the cover made me think that Aurabel is a cute, whimsical children’s story. I was very, very wrong. The story itself is relatively dark, and it threw me off a bit. There was als
Leila Anani
Aurabel is a very different novel to its predecessor Lorali but that is no bad thing. We ditch the wonderful Gaiman-esque magic realism (no harpies or pirates here) which I'd say is a crying shame if this wasn't so good. The majority of the story is set underwater (huge thumbs up for mermaidy content) - we follow Aurabel, a young, low class lesbian mermaid from the slums who is used as a pawn in the bid to seize power by an evil mermaid beast keeper . Aurabel is attacked by sea monsters and left ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Set after the events of Lorali, Rory became Kai a prince, a son in Lorali's place where she was once princess, but does not recall her or events back home after being taken in by the sea.

Set between the real world and under the sea worlds of the Whirl and Tippi once again, we follow Aurabel as we see Her relationship with Murray her girlfriend deteriorate after Opal returns to the sea, bored of her fickle fame on land now as she's no longer the latest trendy thing everyone's in to!

On land, Loral
kb
I really tried with this one, but I just don't think I'm up for some mermaid action at the moment. (Plus, the egalley version is a little messed up when read on my phone as compared to how it appears on laptop so that affected my interest.) I hope this book finds the readers it deserves because the plot seems really exciting and the writing is not hard to enjoy.

Note: I received a copy from the publisher via Net Galley.
Becky Collins
I liked this book but I feel like the plot was a bit rushed and it should be slowed down, give us time to connect with the characters and set up the climax before diving straight into it. I guess I just wanted a longer book because I loved it so much I wanted more. :)
BetweenLinesAndLife
What can I say? The under water world Laura Dockrill created will forever have my heart.

• Daughter of the Forest  (Sevenwaters, #1)
  • Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)
  • The Last Story of Mina Lee
  • This Green and Pleasant Land
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Jog On: How Running Saved My Life
  • The Switch
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)
  • It Only Happens in the Movies
  • Sweet Sorrow
  • Your House Will Pay
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
  • Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot
  • The Lying Room
  • Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower
  • How to be Famous (How to Build a Girl, #2)
  • The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters