Start by marking “Inkdeath” as Want to Read:
Inkdeath

Inkdeath

(Inkworld #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  66,242 ratings  ·  2,953 reviews
CAUGHT BETWEEN THE COVERS OF A CURSED STORY...

Ever since the extraordinary events of Inkspell, when the enchanted book Inkheart drew Meggie and her father, Mo, into its chapters, life in the Inkworld has been more tragic than magical.

The fire-eater Dustfinger is dead, having sacrificed his life for his apprentice Farid's, and now, under the rule of the evil Adderhead, the
Published (first published September 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Inkdeath, please sign up.
Saanvi No, it is not possible. Goodreads will only help you keep track of your progress on books and give you personalized recommendations based on your…moreNo, it is not possible. Goodreads will only help you keep track of your progress on books and give you personalized recommendations based on your taste(s).(less)

·  66,242 ratings  ·  2,953 reviews

Caz (littlebookowl)
3.5 stars!
I wish I had read this back when I started the series... Still enjoyable and I liked the ending :)
Sandy Straubhaar
[99% spoiler-free; I have trouble with spilling spoilers, so I'm working hard not to do it this time]

I got so crazy about this series that I not only ordered vol. 3 (this one) from Germany to find out how it ended, I even ordered the audio book and put it on my iPod so I could obsess about it repeatedly.

The cover blurb says, "Der Verlag übernimmt keine Haftung für eventuell verloren gegangene Personen." ("The publishers assume no responsibility for readers who disappear," essentially. It's all a
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tintentod = Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3), Cornelia Funke
The Inkheart trilogy is a series of three fantasy novels written by German author Cornelia Funke, comprising Inkheart (2003), Inkspell (2005), and Inkdeath (2008). The books chronicle the adventures of teen Meggie Folchart whose life changes dramatically when she realizes that she and her father, a bookbinder named Mo, have the unusual ability to bring characters from books into the real world when reading aloud. Mostly set in Northern Italy and
Inkdeath is the epic adventure I expected Inkheart and Inkspell to be—and as much as I complained about the slow pace, plot meandering, and innumerable characters in the first two books, I can tell you now that all the buildup was worth it.

Funke was juggling so many different plots by the end of Inkspell that I was seriously worried that many or all would be dropped or mishandled in the third act, but she surprised me by keeping all of them going until their natural conclusions, and also re
Monica Edinger
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
The German title for the second book in this series is TINTENBLUT or INKBLOOD. Why it became INKSPELL in the US is a mystery (my guess is it was a marketing decision --- spell is a lot less scary than blood). Having now read the final book in the series, I see why that original title was so apt and think it was very unfortunate that it was changed.

But back to this book. It is dense, dark, and rich with ideas. I found it totally engrossing. The story picks up where the previous volume left off.
Sella Malin
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patricija - ReadOff
I finally finished re-reading this as an adult.
I only have praise for it, and I think this remains a masterpiece in the category of Harry Potter. And if you've been born after 1990 you know what this means.

This is a book for both adults and children and it has a wonderful plot, developed characters who are not only deeply layered and humanly as possible, but also grow from page one to the last page of this trilogy. And this world, this beautiful world of Inkworld will always have a special pla
Alaina
Inkdeath is the final installment of the Inkworld series. I haven't decided, yet, if it was better than the first book, Inkheart, but it was a lot better than Inkspell, which was the second book.

Warning: Review will probably contain spoilers and I'm kind of lazy to hide them this morning.

To start off, Dustfinger is dead. Farid is practically torn up about this and doesn't know what to do with his life. Oh, and Mo is forever keeping secrets to himself, which is a terrible decision made by himsel
Mary ♥
5/5 stars

Why did death make life taste so much sweeter? Why could the heart love only what it could also lose?

Open a book. Make yourself comfortable and breathe a little. Close your eyes and open them again. And start reading. You'll find yourself in another world. A world of tall trees, clear blue skies, the sound of horse hooves, the colliding of swords, the chirping of the birds and the aura of adventure. But you'll also feel other, more human feelings. You'll feel happiness, love and safety
Heather G Gentle
I absolutely LOVED this one! This was everything I hoped it would be and more.
I thought the author did a great job of bringing this altogether and "ending" it.
Don't want to say too much as my friends haven't read it yet but there were some surprises and the story was left "sort of"open-- new series in the making? :)

This third installment was a bit darker than the last 2-- much more like the ending of InkSpell. For a while everything gets to a point where it all feels so hopeless. But the way t
Yessenia
Mar 03, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
leynes
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy fucking cow! It is rare for the last instalment in a trilogy to be the best one, but Inkdeath definitely got that job done. I am still shook! I had forgotten everything about its plot, since I last read it 10 years ago (…give me a break), and so I was living for every turn of events and plot twist that we got. Connie really knows how it’s done. I bow down to our German legend.

There are many plot devices in Inkdeath that are objectively bad and cheap but I could look past all of them since
Sammi
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, not my favorite of the series, but the writing was good. Honestly I'd hoped for better. Don't let this put you off though. I definitely recommend Inkheart and Inkspell. The next part of my review contains...

...................SPOILERS!!!!!.......................................

Ok, when it comes to Meggie's boy choices, I really like Doria. While Farid is awesome, Doria is effing amazing. Farid spent more time pining after Dustfinger than he did after Meggie, which says something about how he
Rosianna
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic end to the trilogy with a finale that left me completely content - no loose ends and remarkably realistic for a fantasy. Inkdeath is certainly something to look forward too.
Bad
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow.
I always expect to be disappointed with the final novel in a series... But the INKHEART trilogy continued to put it's best foot forward all the way through it's very last pages.
Now I am usually distraught when a main character isn't killed in some glorious manner for the sake of the series, but INKDEATH, somehow didn't need a monumental sacrifice to make it solid. I think Meggie's, "pushing away" of Farid, kind of filled that hole for me.

Now, lets talk about Dustfinger... O.O

I fell in lo
Sonia
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a real pain to get to finish this book. The idea has always been original, but the writer doesn't know how to develop the story in an interesting way. Let's just say that the book only starts to get interesting in the last 100 pages or so, and it's 700 pages long! The characters are in a fantasy world that is barely explored. Nothing happens for a long time and, when something does happen, it's just too sudden, out of nowhere, and it finished quickly. Characters that could add some d ...more
Miranda Reads
I loved the first book and enjoyed the second, the third fell a little flat.

Maggie - who played such a central role in the first and shared the spotlight in the second - is thrown to the side. Her biggest task seemed to be to choose her boyfriend. A far cry from the self-empowering themes from the first couple of books.

Instead we follow her father, the Bluejay, as he crusades against corruption and fate. He fights against his own story and to keep his family together despite Maggie's moodiness
Ashley Daviau
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed emotions finishing this series. Not because I didn't completely love it though! I'm sad because my journey through one of my favourite worlds is once again over. But I'm happy because I love this series so much and Inkdeath is my favourite out of the series and it was wonderful revisiting this world. Such a perfect ending to an amazing series! An absolute must read for any bookworm! Because who amongst us hasn't imagine slipping into the pages of your favourite books?
Kris Irvin
I love it when people write reviews that are EX.AC.TLY. on par with how I felt about a book. This one in particular gets it spot on.

I was really disappointed by Inkdeath. Not gonna lie. I finished it several days ago and have sat around trying to think of positive things to say about it but I got nothin'. This is by far the weakest book in the trilogy and should have been much shorter and much less lame. Dangit.

This book is not quite a total departure from Inkheart and Inkspell but it's pretty
Becky
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that think the grass is always greener...
(spoilers)

I learned that the first book of this trilogy is unfortunately the best book in this trilogy.

While the ending is good there are major flaws in the text:
1. Aunt Elinor was a vital character in book 1 and to see her cast aside as minor for books 2 and 3 was very disappointing.
2. Meggie was the main character for book 1 and most of 2 and yet wasn't even in the major scenes at the end of the book. That made no sense whatsoever.
3. These books seemed extremely violent at times for a young a
mills♥
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bleh
boring. i skipped a couple chapters here and there, (who can blame me? boring books aren't worth my time.) i might go back and reread later.
Vidhya
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Umm I really Donno... I totally like Cornelia funke.. but this was just too draggy and boring for me. Sorry!
Megan
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Denae Christine
The word for this book--one that occurs more than any other besides names and "fire"--would be "longing."

There's the longing of the vaporous White Women, clutching at hearts and pulling them toward eternal peace.
There's the longing of every character, separated from loved ones as all battle to overcome the spreading evil.
There's the longing to become more powerful, especially evident in Orpheus, but also clear in the others, to be more: more alive, more noticed, more feared, or more important.

Ov
MountainLaurel
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie Johnson
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I read Inkdeath as a buddy read with a friend. This one wraps up the Inkheart trilogy. I am so glad I started and got to finish this trilogy. I must say that I would not class this as a middle grade series. It is very complex and also has some content that I would not think suitable for younger readers.

I really rather liked this book from the trilogy more than the first two. From the start of the series I always liked the plot of being able to read yourself into or out of a story. This one went
Donna
This is the third book in the Inkworld trilogy. I think the first one was my favorite one. I liked the character development in the second one....and in this one, I liked the ending.

My main problem with this one is that many of the key characters started sounding the exact same. They were in constant 'sneering' mode. It was getting old and I started getting bored. The character, Mo/Mortimer/Blue Jay/ Silver Tongue, kept it going and kept me vested in the outcome. So 3 stars, because of Mo and t
R.F. Gammon
WHAT IS THAT PILE OF SHRIEKING FLAILING FEELS OVER THERE? Oh wait...it's me.

After being somewhat disappointed with Inkspell (the ending particular) I was kind of nervous about starting this one. Turns out I had no need to be nervous. Inkdeath incorporated everything I loved about Inkheart and Inkspell with none of the awfulness of the ending (except for one eeny-weeny little thing, which I'll whine about in spoiler tags in a few minutes).

SMOL LIST OF THINGS TO LOVE:
-Mo and Resa are my OTP. I a
Kendall
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So captivating and I COULD NOT put it down! It's probably more for younger readers, but I don't care and so I read it and it was amazing and RTC.
Yes that was the worst review ever. I know.
Qt
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I wavered between 3 and 4 stars for this one. "Inkheart," the first of the trilogy, is definitely my favorite of the three, and I really loved it. However, my interest kind of waxed and waned throughout this third book, and I never *really* felt too involved.
That said, I did enjoy it and was happy to reunite with my favorite Inkheart people; as in the other books, I also really like the quotes that open each chapter. I was mostly satisfied with the conclusion, though one or two things kind of l
Farid or Doria? 31 218 Sep 07, 2018 01:50PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke - starting July 29, 2015 3 15 Aug 22, 2015 12:11PM
The ending of the last book, was it satisfying? 5 34 Aug 09, 2015 03:31PM
Drop Everything A...: Inkdeath 3 23 Jul 25, 2015 02:00AM
Parents or lover? *spoilers* 1 46 Apr 29, 2014 06:18PM
Did anyone else hate this book? 15 110 Feb 06, 2014 08:07PM
The Page Turners: This topic has been closed to new comments. Inkdeath 2 20 Jul 09, 2013 04:34AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Nijura: Das Erbe der Elfenkrone
  • The Glass Word (Dark Reflections, #3)
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • The Last Battle of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #3)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • The Divide (The Divide, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Crow
  • The Shadow Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #4)
  • Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want (Leven Thumps, #3)
  • The Star of Kazan
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.

Inkworld (3 books)
  • Inkheart
  • Inkspell (Inkworld, #2)
“Women were different, no doubt about it. Men broke so much more quickly. Grief didn't break women. Instead it wore them down, it hollowed them out very slowly.” 616 likes
“A reader doesn't really see the characters in a story; he feels them.” 206 likes