Start by marking “We Want You Here” as Want to Read:
We Want You Here

We Want You Here

The message is basic but profound. We want guests to know they are welcome to the church. This book is a gift to guests to communicate that very message.

Bestselling author Thom S. Rainer (I Am a Church Member, Autopsy of a Deceased Church) has created a tool for churches to become more hospitable through a brief, welcoming book that introduces the ministry of the local ch
Published March 1st 2018 by B Books

To ask other readers questions about We Want You Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Want You Here

Robert Watson
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Thom Rainer’s books but this wasn’t one of my favorites. It’s written to a church guest as though it came from your church. The main point is strong (we are thankful/ grateful that you visited our church) however it doesn’t require repeating for 7 chapters. On a positive note, it’s a quick read and might be a good guest gift.
Jimmy Reagan
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This attractive hardback is a resource to put in the hands of visitors to your church. Thom Rainer, who has provided so many church resources, wrote this book. Since guests have such a wide variety of backgrounds, it took a lot of skill to pitch this book at a level that could catch the attention of many. It seems to me that Rainer pulled it off.

The first chapter gives five good reasons that the visitor is wanted at your church. Chapter 2 is one that not so much lowers expectations as it changes
Jack
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I almost did not include this little book on my reading list. I thought, "This book has too few pages. It surely shouldn't count!" I decided to include it for one reason only.

I hope some of my followers will read it, think about it, and consider using it at their church. I read it and will probably do so again. Our church bought 60 copies to give away to guests because the book powerfully, yet simply, communicates exactly what the title says. If you have visited our church, we are glad because w
C.J. Moore
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was so-so, and it probably would be useful for some churches; however, it just makes me think that churches need a more particular book for their own contexts. Grateful that Rainer is thinking about this need and wrote this book to help meet it (and somewhat start a conversation).

I think the main fault is who the intended audience is supposed to be. Though it's for guests, it's not clear whether or not it's for Christian guests or non-Christian guests. At times, I felt it was for one,
Jake Thurston
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This little book is perplexing to me. On one hand, it would be a great resource for someone who is not only a guest to your church, but specifically to a newer Christian, if not someone who is completely foreign to Christianity. It’s very simple and easy to read. However, if every new guest at your church receives this as a gift, it assumes all of them to not be very developed in their faith. What do you do if someone who has been a Christian all their life and is a new guest at your church and ...more
Tim Counts
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very unique little book, written for a church to give to first time guests. We may use this at least for awhile. Rainer covers a lot of important ground in a short book. Reading it helped me as a pastor appreciate more what first time guests may be thinking or feeling, especially applicable in New England where I serve.

I didn’t give it 5 stars because the reading level is almost too basic to the point where it starts to feel very repetitive...he could have written it a little more interesting a
Karl Dumas
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is a companion book to Rainer's "Becoming a Welcoming Church", and he suggests that churches buy the book in bulk to gift to first time visitors. This is another book that can be read in under an hour, and it's an hour well-spent.
The book sets out to tell guests how important they are to the church, and how pleased the church would be to have them return on a regular basis. Rainer covers some of the basics of a local church, and some of the reasons why the local church is so important. I
Joshua Sparkman
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Debated whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. I appreciate what Rainer is going for here: a simple, easy-to-read book that churches can give to visitors to express their appreciation to them and give them more information about the church. He writes with a casual tone and covers a lot of ground. This is good. Unfortunately, I'm not totally sold on it for a couple reasons, most notably that it seems a bit long to expect a guest to sit down and read it.
Kyle Bueermann
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A very helpful little book. Yes, he repeats the phrase, “We want you here” a couple dozen times or so. But, he wants to make it exceedingly, abundantly clear: 1) We are grateful you visited our church; and 2) WE WANT YOU HERE!

Check out the companion kit as well. Lots of great resources for churches to use in welcoming and following up with new guests.
Rosario
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very repetitive, but otherwise good read
James Kelley
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
Another helpful effort by Thom Rainer that helps a faith group examine how welcoming and friendly they really are.
Sarah Bowler
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Thom S. Rainer designed "We Want You Here" (a companion to "Becoming a Welcoming Church") as a gift for churches to give visitors.

Most church attendees are familiar with “welcome kits” containing everything from candy to pens to coffee mugs. Rainer suggests giving each visitor his book (which B&H Publishers offers bulk discounts on).

The book opens with a quick explanation:

“I get it. Many of you who read this will think, I don’t think this was the guy we heard preach last Sunday—was it? No,
Rebecca CaPece
Jun 14, 2018
Audrey Hood
Feb 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Thom Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

In a