Start by marking “soft thorns” as Want to Read:
soft thorns

soft thorns

the poetry living within these pages tells stories of love, heartbreak, freedom, oppression, sexual assault, sexism, hope and humanity. our darkest times are where we grow the most, so in this book, i share mine, and together, we learn how to heal.
Published May 31st 2017

To ask other readers questions about soft thorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about soft thorns

Nat
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, arc

Soft Thorns is a poetry collection that takes the reader on a journey through a young woman’s life—from reckoning with her looks and sexuality to dealing with the trauma of sexual assault, and finally through the highs and lows of young love found and lost. Bridgett Devoue shares her raw, human story and the lessons learned from living a life fully.

I've so missed breezing through a typical poetry collection, in particular, the feelings evoked after, packing short impactful punches to carry you
Schizanthus
Content warnings include sexual assault and anorexia.

This collection of poems is divided into sections: bleed, love, scar, learn, heal. I was interested because a few of the themes interested me, especially when I learned the author has experienced chronic pain. I wanted to see how a poet would describe the experience of chronic pain but I never found out as, unless I missed something along the way, it was only mentioned in my letter to you.

I began to think this book wasn’t for me before I even
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love Rupi Kaur's poems
Shelves: arc, poetry
Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked soft thorns. Bridgett Devoue explores heartbreak, abuse, healing and women empowerment. Her poems are unbridled, frank and powerful. It was enlightening and something I would reread if I'm in the mood for an edgy and fast-paced poetry collection. If you love Rupi Kaur's milk and honey, you might enjoy this book.

My favorite poems in this collection are:

sometimes
theresa 🌸🥑
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
short & bittersweet.

" i am lonely
but i don't want company

i want to lay in bed alone
knowing someone else

" love blossoms
no matter the soil "

Marie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
"maybe we fall in love with sad eyes because we see our souls reflected in them"
Sadly, I am very disappointed with this book. I read the first three poems and just had to buy it. I thought it would be a collection of the same style, but sadly there were only a few poems dedicated to the theme of sexism. (Even though these - I think 4 - poems were really good)
The most of them were about love which I just can't relate to and honestly don't care for.
This collection would probably be nice after a b
Emily
Sep 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Kaur copycat

It's just another carbon copy of milk and honey - it lacks originality and poetic merit. Line breaks should be carefully considered, not just thrown in to make a "poem"
Veronika
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The soft thorns is a collection of short stories dealing mainly with love and heartbreak, but also with rape, sexism and coping in this messy ugly world as a woman.

I really liked author’s My letter to you at the beginning of the book. It was very personal and made me feel like she was right there, sitting next to me reading her poetry. The book is divided into five sections: bleed, love, scar, learn and heal. My favourite was the heal part. It made me feel sure about myself and proud of being a
Arushi Singh
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Imitation of Rupi Kaur's work.
Arybo ✨
i wish we lived in a world
where it was safe to keep
our hearts unlocked
🥀

Wow, this book is Powerful.
I’m not usually a poetry-reader, even if I like it sometimes. When the author says that she is better writing in poems, I thought I was more a “prose” person. But I cannot deny that this book is very good. I felt everything. I felt the damages, the bad things, the assaults, the anger, the loneliness. I felt everything. So, I think that less words can work as much as lot of phrases, sometimes.

I l
🌼Danielle🔱 ⟪quotecreature⟫🌈
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Another imitation of Milk and Honey...

description

I did enjoy Rupi Kaur's poetry collection, but this... well, this was filled with the same stuff. Same thoughts, and some of them were written just too similarly to Milk and Honey. I mean... it was like the author used "Copy and Paste" and then published it.
However, I have to say that i did enjoy some parts... but the overall feeling I had while reading this book was nothing but b
Mel
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
"roses are proof that
you can protect yourself
while remaining soft"

Well, I've only read a handful of poetry books so I'm not 100% sure how to evaluate this one, but I will say, that I really liked Devoue's intention and overall message. She thanks the people in her life who knocked her down and made her stronger and the resiliency she clearly shows is lovely. Anyone looking for words to help cope with personal devastation might turn to this small volume for some solace. Because of the subject and
Autumn Aurelia
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book in little under an hour. Gorgeous poetry on very relatable life experiences. To those complaining that this is a copy of Rupi Kaur's work, I don't agree. Is it similar? Of course. She is using the same style, but it doesn't make her work any less worthy.
Viola ☾
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, just wow.
This was so beautiful and it made me emotional as hell. I just loved every single poem. They are simple but have such an intense depth to it! I fully recommend this one
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome

I really enjoyed this beautiful col!section of poetry. I am definitely looking forward to this authors further works. I most definitely recommend.

Xo,
Rach
검스마
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
-.-
i miss reading good poetry
Anna P
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was reading I was crying because I could relate and connect to some of the stuff in this book. I also got emotional reading about her experiences with life. I rate this 5 stars and I would read it again.
Richard
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Soft Thorns is the experiences of a woman who has been low and broken hearted. Her words are not angry and destructive reflecting her hurt and deep loss but healing and inspiring to ease your own pain.
Wisdom is not gained in books but through living and falling in love is like jumping from high altitude hoping you’ll find a soft landing or a parachute along the way.
Words can empower and strengthen especially when spoken by someone who has been in the pit of despair and knows the darkest of times
Jana
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This had really beautiful and powerful poems. I think everyone who went through heartbreak will be able to relate to this. It also dealt with some heavier topics at time (trigger warning for rape), but did so really well and empoweringly. I really enjoyed it.
Minxy MoonChild
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deep and thoutful

These poems touch on so many things. What being in love and heartbreak can be like. But I love the ones about what its like to live after being broken. This gives me hope.
Sophie Nizynski
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-cried
Some of these poems resonated so much with me
Ella Star
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
in time
even the sharpest thorns
will become soft.

What a beautifully written poetry collection, with gorgeous drawings too! I haven’t read a poetry collection in possibly ever, and this was a great glimpse at the modern poetry we’re getting from great minds today.

I thought the book was beautifully constructed, and the last part (Heal) was my favorite. The heartbreak parts were occasionally truly hard to read, but I am grateful to the author for including them as they really made me feel somethin
Pauline
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!
This poetry book was spectacular. Beautiful writing and the message behind this is very powerful. I love this book so much.
Thanks to Netgalley for this e-arc in exchange of my honest review
Isabelle
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel as though I was gripped by the writer's pain and then she lost me by including vague poems towards the end of the book, which seemed to revolve around exactly the same themes. It felt a little done before, inspired by other writers, but at times still very powerful.
Syndel D.
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book earlier today and in only took not even an hour to read. I personally thought it was really good, if someone {Recommend specifically for girls} is looking for a VERY fast meaningful poetry book, this would be good to read.
Krissy
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely.
Pumpkinreader
Dec 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
😑
Katie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of my new favorite poetry books!
firebreathingreader
I read this in about 30-ish minutes and I would recommend reading this book in one sitting to feel the full effect of the words. Though this book is poetry it maintained a storyline that was engaging and you could feel the empowerment at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Manon
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, lgbtqqiap
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Soft Thorns is a debut poetry collection in 5 chapters: bleed, love, scar, learn, heal.
I found most poems powerful and touching.
The poetess shares a lot of her experience and I think we can feel everything she feels. It was very relatable at times and I found myself tearing up.
I flew through this book, always wanting to know what came next.
I'm really looking forward to reading more from this author.
  • Sisters' Entrance
  • Miss Demeanor
  • Social Misfits
  • Blinding Night (Blinding Night #1)
  • Things I'd Rather Do Than Die
  • Saving Death
  • Incrusted: Hiding The Demon Within (Warepire Reverse Harem Romance, #1)
  • The Long Road Home
  • Christmas With You: A feel-good holiday romance anthology
  • June Kisses (Wilder Irish, #6)
  • Animal
  • A Story of River
  • Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better
  • Supernatural Slayer (Supernatural Slayer #1)
  • The Underlighters
  • Seeking Sanctuary (Shelter Me #1)
  • Be a Unicorn and Live Life on the Bright Side
  • The Rules of Rebellion
i've always had the urge to write for as long as i can remember. my earliest writing memory is from middle school, when we had to write a poem for a class assignment. naturally, i was drawn to writing about my darkest, most vulnerable experiences. my poem was voted best in the class, and i got to read in front of the entire school. i recieved a standing ovation, and realized that my words could ma ...more
“chemistry between people
is the strangest science of all”
2 likes