Start by marking “Death by Latte (Death By Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Death by Latte (Death By Mysteries, #2)

(Death By Mysteries #2)

Read Linda Gerber's posts on the Penguin Blog.

It was only a few weeks ago that Aphra Connolly’s life changed completely. She had been living a quiet existence on her father’s secluded island resort, until Seth Mulo turned up and stole her heart . . . and provided information that led her to find her mom in Seattle. But the reunion isn’t quite what she expected. Aphra’s mo
Mass Market Paperback, 201 pages
Published September 18th 2008 by Sleuth / Speak

To ask other readers questions about Death by Latte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Latte

Vicki
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Death by Latte by Linda Gerber begins with Aphra, the main character, booking a flight to see her mother whom she has not seen for four years. Aphra goes to Seattle to find her mother, but her welcome is not what she expected or hoped to have. Rather her mother is busy and is less than thrilled to see Aphra, so the twists and turns begin.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but for some reason this book didn't work too well for me. Perhaps it is due to the mother's treatment of her own daughter.
Lisa RV
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Edited to fix typos.
Fast-paced, action-packed, and "clean" middle school mystery. I liked this book a little more than the first one. It's refreshing to read a teen book that's not filled with bullying and teen angst.
Steph (Reviewer X)
Ah, zeroing in once again on the Death By series. The first installment, Death By Bikini, didn’t impress me in any way, be it positive or negative. My mixed feelings were because, while the story was cute and competently written, the events were all crammed together making the pace in which I moved through the story feel fit for a race designed to render me breathless—and not in a good way. I mean, there’s tight writing and then there’s size-2-spandex-to-your-size-6-body writing.

Anyway, what can
Kristi
Jul 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Now that Aphra knows where to find her mom, it seems inevitable that she would go seek her out. And so she tells her father that she will be visiting a friend in South Carolina, but instead Aphra boards a plane to Seattle.

The reunion, is far from what Aphra expected. No sooner does she finally find her mother, and she informs her to board another plane back to the island. Even though Aphra’s mom stopped working for the CIA it seems that the drama hasn’t stopped. When her mother’s partner, Joe, e
Lily
Oct 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 8th-grade
Arianna
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I reviewed the first novel in the series (Death by Bikini) I had only given it 4 stars becasue I felt the ending was rushed. In the second novel it was perfectly excuted. This fast pased action novel keeps you on the edge of your seat and makes you want to the read the third book right then. The protaganist is likeable and independent - an atribute that most female main characters have seemed to lost of the past years.The antiganist is not just one person - wich adds an air of reality. (I m ...more
Heather
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hmph. It's a 2.5, really. This book just felt - contrived.

I like the general idea of spies, secret CIA agents, mystery/action, female teenage protagonists, and tense mother/daughter relationships, but I don't appreciate easily projecting what will happen, predicting which characters are "bad," and getting a sense of Deja Vu - as though I could've already read this cookie cutter book in my lifetime.

I do think some hesitant readers may like it, however. It does have action and rocky mother/daugh
Heba Alsousi
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, especially as Aphra digs up her past.
Josi
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loving this series.
Vanessa
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the continuation...
Tracy Stackhouse
Very Quick Read

Over and done in a few hours. I have lots of questions left. It was fun but certainly not meaty.
Liviania
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Aphra Connolly returns in the sequel to DEATH BY BIKINI. Readers of the first will not be disappointed by this continuation and new readers will be able to pick it up without being lost. Though the DEATH BY series is currently three books long (a girl can hope for more), DEATH BY LATTE does far more than set the scene for the end of the trilogy.

Due to the events of DEATH BY BIKINI, Aphra now knows her mom's location. She immediately hops on a plane just like any curious teenager would. While she
Maelstrom Reviews
Oct 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who liked the first one, Kiki Strike lovers
Recommended to Maelstrom by: ARC
Shelves: charybdis, aella-owns
This review is copy-paste from the Charybdis. You can see it in it's natural habitat here:

I think some of you may know of my previous lurrrrve for this series, but if you don’t than I reviewed Death By Bikini in May. If you haven’t read the first book yet, than that might give you some background.

Aphra is back and she is still awesome, still funny, and still getting into trouble. Determined to find her elusive mother, Natalie, she hops a plane to Seattle without permission. But when she discover
Rachael
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Aphra Connolly is back in another danger-filled adventure. This time, she’s off to find her mom in Seattle, something she’s never been able to do until she met the Mulos, the family Aphra’s mother swore to protect. But the familial reunion isn’t as happy as Aphra thought it would be. Instead, her mother seems cold and disconnected while her partner Joe insists Aphra be send home immediately. Plus, Seth Mulo, the boy she fell in love with when he visited her father’s island resort, shows up again ...more
Lizzie L.
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
DEATH BY LATTE by LINDA GERBER
By: Lizzie Lemone 75

“I lied to my dad, that’s how the whole thing started,” As I read the first line of Death by Latte by Linda Gerber I couldn't put the book down for a second. This book is a 4 star book in my opinion; it has tons of action and so much description and dialog, but it also has it's sensitive side.
As I was reading this book I felt like I was the main character Aphra. Whenever she was upset or mad I was too. The book was so descriptive I felt like I
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Cana Rensberger for TeensReadToo.com

Aphra Connolly lies to her dad and flies to Seattle just to see her mother, Natalie. But Natalie can't wait to get Aphra on the next plane home. Sure, she hadn't told her mom she was coming, and maybe it wasn't the best timing, but it had been four years since she'd seen her! As Natalie takes Aphra back to the airport, a phone call changes Natalie's mind and instead of being boomeranged back home, Aphra becomes embroiled in the dangerous world of N
Cana Rensberger
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Aphra Connolly lies to her dad and flies to Seattle just to see her mother, Natalie. But Natalie can’t wait to get Aphra on the next plane home. Sure, she hadn’t told her mom she was coming, and maybe it wasn’t the best timing, but it had been four years since she’d seen her! As Natalie takes Aphra back to the airport, a phone call changes Natalie’s mind and instead of being boomeranged back home, Aphra becomes embroiled in the dangerous world of Natalie’s work as an covert ex-CIA agent.

While Na
Poojya B.
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
by: Linda Gerber
Mystery
Pages: 202

Death by Latte is about a 13 year old girl named Aphra Connolly who has been living with her father in a secluded island resort. Aphra has never seen her aged boys in her resort before so she never had experienced the feeling of "puppy love or crush", but one day this peculiar family comes to Aphra's resort for a stay, and she comes across a cute boy named Seth a little older than her. She immediately starts having mixed feelings for this boy and the story gets t
Elizabeth
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Death By Latte is By: Linda Gerber, it has 202 pages. Aphra is back again. Just a few weeks before she was with Seth on the helicopter pad and now she is on a flight to Seattle. Now that Aphra has her moms address she will not stop trying to find her. Her mom has so much to explain and even if her mom does not want to see her she can't go back to her fathers island , she lied to him about where she was going. When Aphra gets to Seattle though her whole visit is not what she expected it to be. He ...more
Brooke
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Aphra now knows where her mother has been for the past four years. She knows that she must go to Seattle to seek her out before it's too late, and her mother moves on to a new city.

When Aphra shows up in the markets looking for her mom, she doesn't receive the warm welcome she was hoping for. Actually, she's told to get on a plane and go back home, and treated rudely by her mother's partner Joe.

When Joe dies suddenly, Aphra knows that things haven't changed at all with her mother. She knows that
Dimitra H.
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Linda Gerber
224 pages
Realistic fiction

Aphra Behn Connoly had been living peacefully on the island that she and her father owned since last summer when Seth Mulo and his family had visited. Then Seth turns up and re-steals her heart…and gives her information on her mother's whereabouts in Seattle. But when she finds her mother, she isn't exactly glad to see Aphra, and even worse, Natalie's new boyfriend, Joe, just wants her to go home. But worse than her mother rejecting her, Seth s
Mckayla Thomas
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER ALERT
I have read the book Death by Latte by Linda Gerber it is a part of the death by series, it is a fiction book. It is about who you can trust and what happens when you trust the wrong people. In the first book Death by Bikini Aphra Connolly moved to an island in the middle of the ocean to run a hotel with her dad everything went wrong. Now she wants to find her mom but when she does she doesn’t expect what happens.
Aphra flies out to Seattle to find her mom after four years she want
Sara
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, young-adult
Maybe, if I'm feeling generous, 2.5 stars. Basically, I was pretty underwhelmed with this book. Aphra, our heroine, has just discovered that her mom's a CIA agent - or used to be one - and living in Seattle, so she buys a ticket there, lying to her dad, and goes to surprise her mom with a visit. Her mom's not happy to see her because she's in the middle of a mission and, as expected, Aphra's presence seriously compromises the mission.

My main problem with the book was just how dumb Aphra was - de
Aarushi
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Linda Gerber

Aphra lies to her father and leaves his resort to go visit her mom, which she hasn't seen in four years, in Seattle, instead of meeting her best friend in South Carolina. Her mom tries to send her back home to protect her, but her mom, Natalie, gets busy with her partner, Joe, from her job. Natalie found him dead from a poisoned latte. Meanwhile, Aphra found Seth, who came to find Aphra for a ring he gave her a few months back so that The Mole wouldn't kill his dad. Aft
Katie
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In the sequel to Death by Bikini, Aphra is back and headed to Seattle in search if her mom. A couple of weeks ago Aphra was with Srth and having to fight to survive. Now thanks to a note Seth gave her Aphra is off to find her mom and when she does, well, her Mom isn't very happy to see her. Then, very suddenly, Natalie's, who is Aphra's mom, partner dies suddenly. And when he dies he took a few secrets with him to the grave, now Aphra has to help her mom and deal with Seth, because, well, he sai ...more
Jessica
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, books-i-own
Better, Gerber, better. As I was sitting in the library today, I was thinking, "Wow, look.. I wanna read that book.. And that one.. And that one.." Well, I still had this one to read and I'm not sure if I thought it was a slightly slow read in the beginning or if I just wasn't too into it, it took me forever to finish. I sat myself down today and finally finished this itty-bitty book.

In the second installment of Linda Gerber's mystery series, Aphra books her flight to Seattle to find her mother.
Ruth B
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, young-adult, mystery
Warning: the review could contain some spoilers of book 1

Aphra is finally about to meet her mother after four years without seeing her. Thanks to the family she helped in Death by Bikini, now she has all the information she needs to find her mom. But things don't go out as she expected.

In book two of Death by Mystery series, Aphra has a more active rol and is like a mini-agent. Escaping from The Mole, the CIA and trying to stay alive her life is almost like a spy movie.

We meet new characters as
Lisa
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
--SOME SPOILERS ALERT-- SOME SPOILERS ALERT--

"Death by Latte" continues the story of Aphra who wants to visit her mother. It was a bad choice and they both get into big trouble. Her mother doesn't like her being there, neither seems Seth happy to see her again. Somehow she has to figure out what is going on, although nobody trusts her to keep such information a secret. Everything seems much more serious than in the resort now, but Aphra realizes that too late.

I adore this book, it was almost bet
Nancy
May 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
Seriously, the CIA? When am I ever going to get a good mystery that doesn't involve any types of government agencies? It's like telling me you know your book won't sell unless you make it as James Bond as possible. The plot is soooo overused.

Unconvincing protagonist. I didn't read the first book, but just the name Aphra irked me. It sounds like Alpha. Too pretentious. I know it seems shallow to dissect a name, but Aphra does not match the character. She was quite dumb despite what is led to be
Jessica Mitchell
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
In my opinion, this book was O.K. Not good, not great, not bad. For one thing, I didn't really love the protagonist. And that is DEFINITELY a must-have in a book. I felt like the author was trying to make it appear as if she was a strong character, but if you peel back a few layers..Seth and the other male characters usually take the lead in the story line while Aphra is in the back complaining about how Seth will never love her and how she feels 'so devastated.' How painfully stereotypical.
I d
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Sleepless
  • Spirit Seeker
  • Violet by Design (Violet, #2)
  • The Winning Element (The Specialists, #3)
  • The Dying Breath (Forensic Mysteries, #4)
  • Better Latte Than Never
  • Read My Lips
  • The Serpent and the Scorpion (Ursula Marlowe Mystery #2)
  • Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty (Triple Shot Bettys, #1)
  • Twisted Sisters (Aspen Brooks, #2)
  • Geek Abroad (Geek High, #2)
  • Dead Is Just A Rumor (Dead Is, #4)
  • In Too Deep (The Elite, #2)
  • The Market
  • DupliKate
  • The Barbarians are Coming
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • The Next Victim (Kali O'Brien, #7)
Linda Gerber recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan where she served as the RA for SCBWI Tokyo. Her books include SASS: Now and Zen, SASS: The Finnish Line, Death by Bikini, Death by Latte, Death by Denim and the upcoming novel, Trance.

She currently lives and writes in Dublin, Ohio, blissfully ignoring her husband, four kids, and one very naughty puppy"

Death By Mysteries (3 books)
  • Death by Bikini (Death By Mysteries, #1)
  • Death by Denim (Death By Mysteries, #3)