Start by marking “Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)” as Want to Read:
Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)

Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta

(Ram Chandra #3)

WITHOUT THE DARKNESS, LIGHT HAS NO PURPOSE.

WITHOUT THE VILLAIN, WHAT WOULD THE GODS DO?

INDIA, 3400 BCE.

A land in tumult, poverty and chaos. Most people suffer quietly. A few rebel. Some fight for a better world. Some for themselves. Some don’t give a damn. Raavan. Fathered by one of the most illustrious sages of the time. Blessed by the Gods with talents beyond all. Cursed
Published July 1st 2019 by Westland

To ask other readers questions about Raavan, please sign up.
Ankush Agarwal You can buy the Kindle version from Amazon

Sahitya
I had completely forgotten this book was releasing last week until someone mentioned on a group chat, and I knew I had to read it immediately. I actually didn’t have a lot of expectations, just wanted it to be an engaging read, but this one turned out to be surprisingly very good.

It wasn’t until the second book of this series Sita did I realize it was going to be a multilinear narrative with the first three books following three different characters but merging at the same point towards the end.
Sankalpita (bookGeeks India)
Well, what to say. The wait is finally over and I am so happy that I finally have the copy in my hand. Not getting into the usual characters, plot, climax, writing style, and entertainment quotient, I will quickly give you 7 reasons why I think this book is an absolute must-read for every lover of mythological fantasy fiction out there.

1. It is an action-packed adventure packed 5-star entertainer. Technically, I gave it 4.5 stars but you get the drift.

2. The character of Raavan is something to l
Aniruddha Rege
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Writing mythology is a double-edged sword, and it takes an author of no little skill to choose the right edge to employ at the right time. Done wrong, the book could feel like nothing but a mundane re-telling of an extremely well-known story. Done right, however, and you have a chance to delve into some of the deepest and most complex characters ever put on paper.

Thankfully, Amish is an author who errs on the side of the latter. The Shiva Trilogy was one of the best pieces of work by an Indian a
Lakshmi
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india
Repetitions. Horrible style of writing. I floated through the book. I lost it at the reference of Sabarimala. Was deliberately trying to bring in Sabarimala? Is the author trying to whitewash the issue? Not a good job.
Ashish Iyer
Finally, after the drag of Scion of Ishvaku and a moderately paced Sita, Amish gets his groove back with Raavan. I somewhere found a deprived boy with a fighter spirit, who had to choose a wrong path for his beloved ones, and ultimately as his greed and ego took over him, turned into the greatest villain in history.

Its always fun to read Amish books. Love the way he tell his stories. Entertaining, thrilling and dharmic.

Eagerly waiting for 4th and 5th book. Amish jee i am sending you cream biscu
Shifad
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Raavan – one of the most debated characters in the history of Indian mythology. Growing up we have often heard conflicting sides of his nature. There are instances where he is kind, generous, compassionate and servile. Then, there are situations where he is shown to be vile, arrogant, cruel, sadistic and selfish. Incorporating such nuances into a story is an arduous task. The Demon King of Lanka has been subjected various interpretations over time. The benevolent egoist, the arrogant devotee….he ...more
Deepak
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian
Loved and enjoyed the book a lot. It's better than the last two in series throwing a new light and seeing Ravan with a fresh new perspective.
Janani(ஜனனி)
OH MY FUCK? WHY AM I HEARING ABOUT THIS NOW?!
Dhruv Sharma
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-improvement
Disappointed!!

There is no methodological references except the same names unlike other books and series. Why people like Amish’s books is because he writes methodological fictions where at the base story is based on ancient scripture with added fiction and exaggerated dramatised details.

But in this book nothing is like that, there were strong characters built but then all of sudden vanishes like simachi. The details of Ravan’S childhood, his family etc is purely fiction and the story sounds more
Vikas Singh
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned-book
I have always enjoyed reading Amish Tripathi’s books. His stories which borrow richly from our rich mythological texts have presented the narrative in a different and sometimes contemporary fashion. His three books of Shiva Trilogy depict Shiva as a noble and yet very relatable character. Nowhere in the series you feel that as an author Amish has transgressed the line of respect and centuries of belief. His first two books of Ram Chandra series transgressed this line but they still could be tole ...more
Anantha Narayanan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amish offers fresh and not-so-conflicting views on Raavan. An overall good book to read.
Sarthak Gupta
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book is probably the best book till now in the Ramachandra series. I can guarantee from the ending of this book the the next book will be even better. This book walks you through the making of a villain. How a potential soul instead of becoming a glorious hero turns out to be a wrathful villain. They say life is lesser of what happens to us and more of what we make out of it. Raavan is the true example of a self made Villain according to the book but I think he is not the true villain ...more
Sumaiya
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! What an incredibly fast paced engaging book... not a single dull moment.. each chapter was super high on drama and action packed.. and the twist at the end was mind blowing..

** Everyone knows the general gist of the story of Raavan ..
" a power hungry mad man who is the main villain in the epic Ramayana.. "

But this book provided much more information about his life.. what transpired him into being this evil notorious person? In a way, this book became highly informative for me as I had no
Deepak
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
"This country is dead to me."
"Dada.." whispered Kumbhakarna.
"Control your monsters, did she say?"
"Dada, listen to me.."
""I will unleash the monster. I will destroy this land!"

Goosebumps.

The point where Raavan accepts his identity and the transformation into evil is complete.. Pure goosebumps.

It's certainly the best book of Ramchandra series till now, and dare I say probably the best of all Amish's books.

I'll give you 2 reasons why. One, everybody knows about the childhood and formative years of
Guttu
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third main character of the epic tale of Ramayan is the antagonist, Raavan. Not much has been written about him in the Indian mythology but he undoubtedly tops the villains list. Going by the disappointment of previous books in the series, I had zero expectations from this one.
Like the rest of the characters in the authors book, people with abilities, deformities are often put into Naga category. The same is true about Raavan... And Kumbhakarna. The twist here is that there deformities blee
Jeevan Surya
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third book of Ramachandra Series, which runs in the perspective of Raavan from the time he is born to the time Sita is kidnapped is awesome. This is the book I have liked the most among the three books of the series, one reason being I have never known the story of Raavan, and the second being I have never seen an entire book only about the villain of the story, that too in his perspective.
The most intriguing part about Amish's writing is, he corelates the characters names with the origina
Udit Nair
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was always of the firm opinion that raavan's character needed more explanation and understanding. But all we witnessed was the demonised presentation of one of the most powerful characters. The author simply takes you through this journey and gives various dimensions of the character. To put it literally the book was actually gripping and unputdownable. Another thing which strikes me is the presentation of ideas and facts in between through the story. Like how temples were a sociocultural hub ...more
Sonali Dabade
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
4.5 stars.

Amish is back! And with a bang!

I love the Shiva trilogy and then, with the Ram Chandra series, I felt that he was spiraling downwards. I liked Scion of Ikshvaku. Sita, not so much. And then he comes out with Raavan and it's everything that I hadn't ever expected! I thought he was going to go one way but he went in completely another direction while keeping in line with Raavan's character from the myth. Love this book!
Jayapradeepa
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Raavan is not just another book on a mythical character. It is Amish's. The book supports the fact that villains are not evil by birth. Every evil has a good in it which is the same with raavan too. His goods are his intelligence, knowledge and most importantly his gigantic brother Kumbhakarna, whose striving to minimize the adharmas done by his beloved brother. The book was definitely worth the wait but I hope he doesn't let us wait longer for the next book. Amazing characterization!
Amlan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amish continues his streak of making an amazing fictional story that ties into the very well researched stories from indian mythology. Absolutely amazing read that fills in the stories from the other two books and makes the villainous Ravan almost inspirational. I'm going to be reading a lot more mythology the coming few days to figure out the actual stories behind all the charecters, side stories etc mentioned in this book. A must read if you've been following the series
Abhinav Mishra
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read

Let me make it clear, story wise and the way event had been described, it deserves 5 star. As usual there is a 'but' and it is because of the title. After reading entire novel ( I skip office n all the work) to finish this, I believe the title didn't do justice to Raavan. He indeed was the Orphan of Aryavarta. Well I am not here to disclose any plot and twist as this book deserve all the time of a reader.

Thanks to Mr.Amish for letting us know this version of Ramayana. Worth a wait. Ho
Mukul Kumar
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read Ramayana and Ramcharit Manas few times, hence, enjoyed the drama, but, at the same time, storey telling got deviated from these two Purans. The portray of Ravan as a supreme warrior and intellect goes along with what I had read about him. He chose to become a devil by choice and not by circumstances. Now, have to wait for the final book.
Padmapriya Palaniswaminathan
I loved the way how he had managed to weave his own story pulling so many different mythology , mythological characters together in this book.

I am not sure how many years to wait for final installment in this series.

I felt Amish should have written more about Hanuman, I hope that happens in last book :)
Vishnupriya Aryabhumi
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The build up of characters is extremely well thought. Especially the key characters - Raavan, Kumbakaran, Vedavati and even Samichi. Why Raavan does what he does is well put except in the beginning where Raavan seems to have a blood lust/fascination towards dying beings, which I think portrays him as if he is inherently evil, as opposed to rest of the story where his hatred and ruthlessness has a reason.
Harsh Tibarewala
I have read all the books in the Ramchandra Series of Amish Tripathi. I feel his writing style is becoming better with every book. This is unputdownable book even if u know the story of Raavan, u want to read it quickly to know how well the writer wants to depict it. I finished the book in a mere 4 days (one of my fastest ones). Raavan's character as imagined and portrayed in Amish's imagination is a classic because he is "Pirate" but still connects all the dots as we know of Raavan's character ...more
Harsh Vardhan
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This narrative of the True king of Lanka (iraiva) from being an abandoned naga to great trader and warrior, how he played a pawn in the bigger scheme of games played by two fighting maharishis was so splendid and bewitching that I completed this tale in a mere span of four days.
This canard can definitely a befitting comeback from the pen of Amish Triphati after his previous two not so popular books in the series of Ram Chandra.
Pavani Mavidi
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish-tripati
Raavan is the story of a man who is blood-thirsty for power, cruel, complex and at the same time a person who is so full passion.

A soul stirring story about the evil king and the reason to become one.

Worth reading.... Captivating story..... Very well-written....I love it...5 stars definitely :)
Srinivasan
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best book of Amish after curse of the vayuputhura from Shiva triology . Previous books in the trilogy were comparatively slow paced and less interesting as those books were repeating what we already know about the dieties but this book has given a new dimensions to the raavan we know which is very interesting to read. The best book on raavan would always be ravana kaviyam by Tamil writer kulanthai and the curse of the vanquished . Raavan of Amish come pretty much close to these books ...more
Arvind
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 This book was almost like a stand-alone book and the story of Raavan's life has been told right from his birth to the kidnapping of "Maa Sita", thereby merging the 3 narratives. It was a pacy read, but with less philosophy than in book #1 of the series. And I think religious philosophy is Amish's strength. For example, loved his thoughts on the recent Sabarimala controversy woven in this book.
Overall, this one is good but not exceptional and could guess the "twist" at the end easily. Also,
Vipul Agrawal
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's strange how everything just links with the the great Epic we've read all childhood. Kudos
Amish is an IIM (Kolkata)educated, boring banker turned happy author. The success of his debut book, The Immortals of Meluha (Book 1 of the Shiva Trilogy), encouraged him to give up a fourteen-year-old career in financial services to focus on writing. He is passionate about history, mythology and philosophy, finding beauty and meaning in all world religions.

Amish has most recently written the Shi

Ram Chandra (3 books)
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
“Yes. It’s very difficult to be calm and centred if your entire focus is on that. For karma is action in the hope of something in return. Like, if you give charity to someone, you expect at least respect in return. It’s a transaction. And if the result of your actions is not what you expected, you feel let down and become unhappy. Even worse, if the karma you get in return for your actions is, in fact, what you expected, you discover that the happiness you derive from it is fleeting. If dissatisfaction is guaranteed, how can you find peace of mind?’ ‘How?’ ‘Simply by Being what you are meant to Be.” 2 likes
“Nobility without capability is limiting, it only results in good theory.” 2 likes