Start by marking “Midlife Crisis” as Want to Read:
Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Cam McGhee grew up like any other small-town Texas farm boy: he played football, went to church every Sunday, and married his high school sweetheart. But thirty-five years after he said "I do," Cam finds himself nursing a beer in a gay bar, thinking about what might have been.

Dave Montoya is confident, self-assured, and cautiously single. But when he meets shy, uncertain,
Published August 28th 2017 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Midlife Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midlife Crisis

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

This is the kind of book that I feel guilty for not liking more. I mean, it's a sweet coming out story. Very... nice. Nice. That's the best way I can describe it.

I was really drawn to Midlife Crisis because of the older MCs (both in their 50s) and the fact that one of the MCs is finally able to act on his sexuality now that his wife of many years has passed away. I love first time gay experience stories (a weakness of mine!), and so I was pretty sure this one would be a hit.

My main i
CrabbyPatty
Man. Black. Cam. Father. Gay. Widower. Businessman. Explorer. Afraid.

Cam McGhee is a hard-working family man from the small rural farming community of Bitter, Texas. He and his wife LaVerne "assumed they were both destined to live unremarkable lives in Bitter, because that’s what they’d both been raised to know." Cam loved LaVerne ("not the way a lover would have, or the way a husband should have, but he loved her deeply, just the same") and their two children, and helped her achieve her dream
Maria Rose
What do you do when your life goes in the direction expected, but not the one you wished for? That’s the burning question in this story of finding love in middle age, with a partner who is willing to be your second chance at happiness.

Cam McGhee’s life followed a predictable pattern for a small town Texas man. He married a girl from high school, had two children and ran his feed store business day in and day out. From his teenage years, he knew that he was gay, but kept it a secret in his all Af
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Well, North certainly surprised me. I've never read anything by her before. After reading this, I saw she is a MF romance writer. I have skeptical feelings about them, but I don't let it cloud too much of my judgment. More surprised at myself for finishing it. This was not only a slow burn, but the pacing was snail at best. I didn't find myself bored so
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Midlife Crisis was a poignant story of one man finally embracing who he really is while on a sabbatical from his “real” life. There were many ups and downs and twists and turns and I appreciated that Ms. North didn’t sugar coat the realities of someone “coming out” at age 53 after 35 years of marriage to a woman, two children, and a small town who would not approve.

All of his life Cameron McGhee did the right thing, a loving son, he put aside the need he felt towards men and married the woman w
Angie Elle
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Review to come.
Gillian
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Just Love

While it didn’t work for me on every level, Midlife Crisis has some very nice things going for it.

For me, the main attraction is Cam and Dave. Do you know how unusual it is to read about characters who are older than you? Okay, maybe it happens to you young’uns all the time, but as I hurtle towards a certain ‘golden’ age, it’s incredibly rare that I come across a book about two people who have some mileage on them. It was a refreshing change to say the least.

This i
iam
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, plus-mini-me
"I've found in my life that often what I want doesn't really matter. Sometimes the choices I make are first and foremost about simply staying alive. In my experience, actually living... well, that's a luxury.

3.5 stars.
This was a very raw read.
While not exactly exciting, it was compelling and easy to read, though now that I finished and thinking about it there were a few minor issues that bothered me.

I find the title a bit unfitting. While Cam's current situation does have a few things in co
Joyfully Jay
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

This book caught my interest and since I’ve never read this author, I was looking forward to the book. The older heroes really intrigued me, as we don’t see a whole lot of that in the genre. And there were definitely parts of this story that really worked for me. However, there were also some that didn’t. I ended up finishing the story with mixed feelings.

So I kind of had a hard time getting into the story at first. The beginning was slow for me. I think a large p
Annie ~ From Top to Bottom Reviews
This was a really cute and heartwarming story. Definitely recommended!
Karen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Very sweet (& kind of sad) story about a man who finally had the chance to live an open life as a gay man now that his wife had passed.
The flashbacks of Cam's life with his wife really detracted from his romance with Dave. I never understood Dave's pov - why he was falling so quickly for Cam and how it turned to love so fast.
I loved that they were older and the story overall but it didn't have the emotional impact I was hoping for.
TheFountainPenDiva
Whew. This was an exhausting novel. And a reminder of why I don't do angsty stories very well.

What I loved:

1. It's an interracial romance featuring a Black and Latino male pairing. Don't often get PoC in queer stories as it is (a damn shame in my view).

2. The Black hero is named "Cam" rather than the stereotyped name-fail that some authors commit. He's a small-town guy living in his lonely world.

3. The heroes are middle aged and don't have these perfectly sculpted bodies. It was cool to read a
Carmen
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a fantastic book, I thought I would read a chapter or two before bed, but I couldn't put the damn thing down. The author went forward and backwards in time with ease. I believe I need a part two, Dave's story. Or written with Dave's point of view. Especially since they were both a little broken. I cried for their struggles, and laughed in their joy. Ms. North, I was kind of mad about a certain someone who was duped but in the end I felt she never knew that and you made me tear up for " ...more
James Escol
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about acceptance, family & love. I loved how forthright it was. No frills, no fuss. It was honest & very real. Loved it! <3
Khloe Kowalski
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet romance with older characters and an interracial romance to boot!
Carey
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Very, very sweet book that also makes you think. Love the age of the MC's!!
Tami
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: north-audra
3.5

This was a nice MM romance. 50 years is a long time not to embrace yourself fully. He finally found his true north in the twilight of his life.

Julia
A
Sep 12, 2017
Froggymomma
Sep 26, 2017
Audra North is a contemporary romance author of more than twenty romances, including the Stanton Family series from Entangled Publishing, the Hard Driving series from St. Martin’s Press, and the Pushing the Boundaries series from Samhain Publishing. She is the owner and publisher of Pink Kayak Press, which focuses on the publication of diverse romance works. Winter Rain, a Pink Kayak Press antholo ...more
More about Audra North...