Start by marking “The Making of Christina” as Want to Read:
The Making of Christina

The Making of Christina

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  101 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Interior designer Christina Clemente is caught off guard by an intense affair with her charismatic client. Jackson Plummer quickly becomes the cure to Christina's loneliness and a surrogate father to her young daughter Bianca.

When Jackson suggests moving to a run-down farm in the mountains, Christina is uncertain about uprooting their lives in the city. She soon forgets he
Published July 25th 2017 by Pan Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Making of Christina, please sign up.
Meredith Jaffe Hi Monica,
Hi Monica,
Sorry for the delayed response. They disappeared from the website! That's been fixed now. You can find them here: https://www.panmacmillan.com.au/97817...
Happy reading!
Mxx(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Making of Christina
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
*4.5 stars
The Making of Christina is a powerful and gut wrenching novel that explores into the strains placed on family relations, at a time of an unthinkable crisis. Meredith Jaffe’s second novel demonstrates her flair for storytelling on the domestic front. Jaffe is readily able to expose the lives of ordinary people, faced with all too real situations that shatter their current way of life.

The Making of Christina is narrated by interior designed Christina
Kathy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember how much I absolutely loved Meredith Jaffe’s first book The Fence and how amazed I was that someone could so successfully write a novel about a neighbours dispute so captivating like she did! So was very excited to see Meredith’s second book was out – yay! And I can happily and convincingly say she did not disappoint! The Making of Christina drew me in from the first page and took me on an emotional roller coaster of a ride! This book is a lot more darker and serious than the first, b ...more
Kerry
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have no words Meredith....... the making of Christina was incredible, devoured it in two days and sobbed like a baby at the end.

It was an absolute page turner and I was hooked from the first page. The best book I've read in a good while. Thank you ...... I can't wait for your next one x
Joycelyn
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although the second book by Meredith Jaffe explores a completely different and confronting subject matter there is not doubting Meredith's unmistakeable talent. She has an amazing ability in normalizing her characters. They are people everyone can relate too in everyday life. This would be a great book for a Bookclub as it poses so many questions both morally and legally. She is an author I will look forward to following as each of her books are different and stands alone on their own merit.
Jessica M
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Making of Christina is an emotionally charged exploration of family abuse. Told from a mother’s perspective, this novel switches between past and present and centres around the relationship between Christina and Jackson Plummer.

The first chapter of the book positions Jackson Plummer as an untrustworthy character. It is one month before Christmas, and we meet our protagonist Christina. She is visited by a woman named Sarah Plummer, who reveals she is dying. She’s come
Deborah
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book unfolds in multiple timeframes. The constant however, is the present…. in the lead-up to Christmas. Christina is staying (well, living) with her elderly mother, Rosa and fervently hoping her daughter Bianca – who’s teaching English in Costa Rica – will return home for the holidays as planned.

We quickly learn that Christina’s staying with her mother out of desperation, having lost everything following the ‘breakdown of her relationship -with ex-partner Jackson and Bianca – and messy cou
Sandy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

Despite misgivings about some uneven writing (I don't want to read the line 'she loved him with every fibre of her being' outside of a Mills & Boon publication), once I hit the half way point, I did sit glued to the sofa until I had finished this book.

It seemed very well researched from a legal perspective. The central character Christina sometimes came across as almost too gutless and gullible to be believed, but sadly I think she may be true to life.

I did enjoy some
Carolyn
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant...I need more stars 😕
Monique
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 -
Wow......the content is disturbing and tough to read although Jaffe leaves a lot to your imagination.
I loved The Fence but this book is different.
I work from home and I had to give the book to my husband to take to work as I suspect I wouldn't have had the discipline not to read it all day.
Get writing Ms Meredith I need your next book to devour!

Ann-Marie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Beauty and Lace and Pan Macmillan Australia for the book to read.
Many thanks to Meredith Jaffe for creating a story that we don’t really want to admit happens.

The Making of Christina is a book about love, lies, betrayal, deception and heartbreak but it’s also so much more than that.

Here is a story that could be a real story in anyone’s life. It’s so relevant and not really something that you think you want to read about but it’s written in a way that brings a life and a softness to it
Michelle Barraclough
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Meredith Jaffe's first book The Fence so my expectations for her second novel were high. She did not disappoint! The Making of Christina drew me in from the first page and did not let go.

Although the subject matter is very different from The Fence (much darker and more serious) Meredith's trademark attention to domestic detail and her wry character observations are recognisable and give the novel depth.

It's a story that will resonate with all of us - how blinded we can be by love, how
Kolumbina
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled when I found out that Meredith Jaffe has published her second book "the making of christina". Had very high expactations knowing the writer from her first book which I still remember as I read it yesterday.
Definitely a very well written book, a page turner, not disappointing at all. Unfortunately a very disturbing story and in a few instances I was really disappointed in naivety bordered with stupidity of christina. But there are a lot of such stories in real life and M. Jaffe's p
Claire
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solo mother, a young daughter and a rich older man. This book is very well-written but the subject matter stops me from saying I enjoyed reading it. I would give it 4.5 stars if I could.
Dale Pearce
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The Making of Christina by Meredith Jaffe was for me a deeply disturbing book. You are put into both the past and the present as the book progresses with the story.
Christina Clemente is an interior designer and single mum of one, Bianca. Christina’s world is busy and revolves around her work and her daughter. Christina, being lonely after her divorce from her husband and living far from her parents leans heavily on her friends and soon becomes involved in an affair with client, Jackson Plummer.
Jo Jackson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading ‘The Fence’ I ordered Meredith’s second book. I didn’t read any synopsis about this book, I was happy to pick it up and enjoy the read.
There were certainly some twists in this book that I didn’t expect. Christina was looking for love, hope and a happy family and in return her world was turned upside down as her daughter was abused and she became trapped by a man she thought she understood and loved.
Thankyou Meredith for this story. As you mention in your acknowledgements at the bac
Natalie  S
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
In her debut novel The Fence, Meredith Jaffé crafted a domestic drama about two feuding neighbours and a story that could have featured on a nightly current affairs show. Her second novel, The Making of Christina is also a family-based drama. But here, she ups the ante and explores some darker themes like abuse. Jaffé should be commended for writing a novel that is grounded in gritty realism but also handles the more delicate subject matter with a sensitive touch, something which is no mean feat ...more
Tina Harrison-greaves
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did not like the main character, she was weak
Mark
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this author's first book "The Fence" a rare five stars, so I eagerly anticipated his one. The Making of Christina gets four stars, but it's unfortunate that I can't give a 4.5 rating, because it was better than 4, but not quite 5.
This is a gripping and shocking story about a controlling and abusive relationship, where circumstances are "groomed" by the perpetrator to achieve a goal. What happens is obvious, but its the emotional circumstances and how they unfurls that feature. It's a stor
Pam
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Christina, a single mother to Bianca, becomes involved with a very wealthy married man. The novel is written in both the present and past and because of this it's easy to see that the man, Jackson, is really interested in Christina's young daughter.
Although I know this is a work of fiction I found myself stuck on details that proved really annoying and detracted from the story line. Little details like how Christina's friends are coming to visit arriving over two days and one's husband may have
Gina
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I agree with other reviewers about it taking about half the book to really get into it. It was evident that something sinister was going on and I hated to think what it was knowing that all would be revealed eventually. A great story about whether we really know everything about who we're with or who we love as secret lives ultimately destroy trust. Cleverly written with the two different time frames working alongside each other and eventually merging into one. I was eager to read the backstory ...more
Amanda

• The Lost Jewels
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • The Nowhere Child
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • Gravity Is the Thing
  • Wolfe Island
  • Maggie's Going Nowhere
  • A Diamond in the Dust
  • The Gulf
  • The Tiger Catcher (End of Forever, #1)
  • The Lost Summers of Driftwood
  • The Choke
  • The Ones You Trust
  • The Arsonist: A Mind on Fire
  • 488 Rules for Life
Meredith Jaffé is the author of two adult works of fiction, The Fence (2016) and The Making of Christina (2017.) Horse Warrior, the first in a children’s series, was published in 2019. She also contributed a short story, Pedestrian Undies, to the 2019 Funny Bones anthology, which raises funds for the charity War Child.

She is the Festival Director for StoryFest held on the NSW South Coast and regul