Start by marking “Making Sense of the Trinity: Three Crucial Questions” as Want to Read:
Making Sense of the Trinity: Three Crucial Questions

Making Sense of the Trinity: Three Crucial Questions

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Many Christians and plenty of nonbelievers lack an understanding of the doctrine of the Trinity. This often is a barrier to faith or growth.
In Making Sense of the Trinity, Millard J. Erickson demonstrates the biblical foundation, logic, and importance of the Trinity as he answers these three questions:
- Is the doctrine of the Trinity biblical?
- Does the doctrine of the T
Published May 1st 2000 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Making Sense of the Trinity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Sense of the Trinity

Nathan Parker
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good concise overview concerning the Trinity and one that has been beneficial to my research on the subject. It is a book I would recommend to anyone needing a solid yet digestible overview concerning the Trinity.
R.K. Goff
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
The only reason this didn't get 5 stars was because it was far too verbose. I could have summed up his entire final chapter in a few clear paragraphs. I don't mind advanced vocabulary when it helps communication (often by making a term more explicit), but if a short word will do, it should be used.

But let me tell you what I loved about it!

The author supplies mounds of evidence. He fairly points out where flaws in the arguments are, and upfront (and without any excuse) explains that the evidence
Daniel
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the things I consistently appreciate about Erickson is his honesty. It's been awhile since I read through this, but I recall a few areas where his honesty was helpful in thinking through things. Most books of this nature (and especially of this size) tend to go too far in making a ton of unexplained-just-asserted content all equally authoritative and equally certain on all points - the stakes are high because if you get one thought slightly off in one area you've got the whole thing wrong ...more
Donald Hartley
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Good introduction. However, the end of the book reflects his egalitarian bias and he commits a number of logical fallacies including the false disjunctive. As long as one is aware of Erickson's perspective, the book retains its usefulness.
Paul,
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Erickson talks about the confusing doctrine of the Trinity in clear, fairly understandable language. The last discussion about hierarchy in the Trinity was interesting, but I wish it could have been a little longer.
Danny Bennett
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology-bible
I liked that he wasn't arrogant enough to say that he could solve the mystery of the trinity, but offered a couple of ideas that help you understand the trinity better and how it should incorporate into the Christian life. It's also a short and easy read.
Matthew
Reread. First reading was in Seminary, 2001-2006.
G Walker
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogmatics, trinity
This was a good book. Super basic. Many better books that address the same issues in a more life giving way. That said, not a bad book.Perhaps I am too harsh on Erickson in general.
Ryan
Joel Bongat
Aug 15, 2015
Erin
Mar 11, 2015
Millard J. Erickson (PhD, Northwestern University) has served as a pastor and seminary dean and has taught at several schools, including Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Western Seminary (Portland and San Jose), and Baylor University. He has also held numerous visiting professorships, both in the United States and internationally, and is the author of many books. Erickson lives in Mounds ...more
More about Millard J. Erickson