Start by marking “When We Were Young” as Want to Read:
When We Were Young

When We Were Young

Livvy and Jack are nothing alike. Livvy is the courteous, studious daughter of two jet-setting professors; Jack is an angry transplant with a criminal record.

But Livvy’s life isn’t as easy as it seems. Unbeknownst to most, Livvy spends most of her time avoiding Luke—her overbearing, manipulative boyfriend of six years. Even though she knows she needs a change, she’s
Published May 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about When We Were Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Were Young

Start your review of When We Were Young
♡ Booklish ⛈ ☔Feelings ♡
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf

This book made me realize I shouldn't be reading YA romance at the age of 28 !!

I’d never cheated on Luke, even though I knew he’d cheated on me more than a few times—he didn’t do much to hide it. But sometimes, I wondered if that might be the only way out of the relationship. I’d tried to break up with him seven times in the past year and a half, and each time he’d reacted with increasingly threatening responses. The last time, he had just looked at me and said, “No.”And that was that.

(view
Rissa
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When we were young

At first I thought that this was just another chessy contemporary but within a character we see drama and unlying darkness and it pulled me into the story.
Livvy and David have known each other a long. Who neither of them know really well is Davids long lost son Jack. He is a delinquent and not the best of influences but David wants to build a relationship with his son and Livy wants to be a part of David life so you got to get along with Jack even if he has a demon hiding
Alja Katuin
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book felt so suffocating, so realistic from the first chapter that it scared me quite a bit. It hit very close to home; the boyfriend being a total dick and the girlfriend not being able to get out of that relationship.
With all that being said and having read the book, I felt positively surprised by how often this book gave me the chills.. the characters are well built, the abusive relationships are realistic A-F and let’s not forget about their damn parents..

This would be a good read for
Kayla
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

So I got sent this by the publishers and I was like yes let's give it a go because I need a contemporary, it's summer and I'm in need of a fluffy book.

In this story we follow Livvy and new boy Jack who are polar opposites from eachother and the books just about their story and obstacles.

There's nothing unique or special about this book because very few
lovebooks
Great book. When We Were Young is about Jack and Livvy. Livvy is living with her next door neighbor David because her parents are always traveling. She’s a senior in high school and has a boyfriend Luke. Jack just got out of juvenile hall and is living with his father David he didn’t know he had until he was 12 yeas old. He’s a senior too. The book is about what teens go through in high school Both good and bad.
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Book #1 Dewey's Reverse Readathon 2019
Julie Parks
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This book is good. It's just not very interesting.

The heavy teenage topics discussed here aren't anything new - I mean to say that there are a lot of books dealing and addressing these topics these days. And some have a much nicer style and structure, not even mentioning the language.

This book tends to drag and flow flatly forward not making the reader keen to actually find out what's to come. And imagine all that when you know what's coming is most likely not anything good.

It would make a very
lovebooks
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Maybe

Becca Akins
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
TRIGGER WARNING: RAPE, RELATIONSHIP VIOLENCE, ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES, Substance Abuse

I hated this book. I contemplated DNFing multiple times but decided to finish so I could include all trigger warnings and give a full list of the issues with this book.

This book was full of problematic elements.

•Cheating was a big aspect and I don’t enjoy reading about cheating.

•There is also an instalove type relationship between the main guy and a side character.

•There is a sexual assault scene between a
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

I loved this book!!! It sucked me in and I had to read the entire book in one sitting because I had to know how it ended and what happened to Livvy and Jack. The situations shown in the book felt really realistic, and the characters were well written and incredibly complex. The plot itself was slightly predictable, though I kept second guessing how I thought it would end. I did find the ending to be really weak, and
Megan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so precious! I loved Livvy and Jack, they were both so broken and troubled but so desperate to be accepted and okay. I'll admit, the story dragged a bit at times but I still really enjoyed it.
gj indieBRAG
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that WHEN WE WERE YOUNG by Anna Benoit is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Alison (ง'̀-'́)ง
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Solid Debut Novel

Excellent first novel from this writer. Solid writing, good characterization and entertaining story telling (if somewhat predictable). I look forward to reading the author's future works.
Sandy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, roller-coaster, 2018
I read When We Were Young in two days. These days that's about as fast as I can do. The writing and characters hooked me early. I was invested and interested in what was going to happen. However, things went downhill quickly. Now don't get me wrong, I was devouring this book, but I was getting so stressed out by these characters.

Truly while I was reading When We Were Young I kept thinking there's no way this many awful things could happen to the same few people unless this was real life. And
Sanyukta Thakare
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
When We Were Young is a story about loss and loss and more loss. You wait and wait and wait for the things to get better but Anna Benoit keeps hitting you hard.

Livvy Edison is a sweet girl surrounded by the worst people on earth except for her neighbor who she lives with, David. But he is also taken away from her when he has to deal with his own problem Jack aka the son he didn't know he had. In spite of nothing in common Livvy and Jack instantly feel a connection over a bunch of beers on her
Zanereads
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I liked:

This story tackled so many issues. It wasn’t a feel good contemporary. It was real, hard hitting, dragging out emotions you didn’t know you had contemporary. There is so much going in this story, I felt it a little daunting in the beginning, but it was well worth it. I speed through once I got started, and found myself invested in the characters lives. It tackles tough issues, such as rape, drugs, violence, and bullying.

What I disliked:

I have 2 complaints about this book. One, there
Mayra Alcantar
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This deals a lot with domestic abuse as the main character, Livvy ends up being in a relationship with a guy she has dated for a long time. Throughout their break ups and make ups, Luke, her boyfriend changes and abuses her emotionally, physically and sexually. He becomes a person to hold something against Livvy so she won't end the relationship. From the start of the book, we also meet Jack who is someone new to Livvy and who also is living with his dad after going through some very hard times ...more
Paula Pugh
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
When We were Young is an excellent and gut smacking novel reaching deeply into teen angst, emotions, insecurities and problems. The two main characters Jack and Livvy both that have their senior year of high school filled with too many complications. For Jack, he has been thrown into a life with a father her never knew after a fight leads to probation and banishment from his home town. He is a seething ball of anger trying to cope as best he can with the limited tools he has. Livvy has absentee ...more
Kirstin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.

Wow. This book was a dark, heavy teenage drama that basically took on every single bad situation possible. There was death, murder, rape, drugs, weapons, divorce, abuse, broken homes. I felt like every new chapter brought on a new affliction.

The writing was good, it just wasn't interesting. The story didn't flow, it just got deeper and deeper into even more issues. At first I liked the characters and then by the end of the
Kay
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nikole English
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5! Fantastic storytelling, character development and world building.
A friends to lovers YA novel with complex characters, difficult though relevant subject matter many could find relatable and at the same time triggering, and a storyline that unassumingly pulls you in and has you turning page, after page, after page. This was my first book by Anna Benoit and after reading "When We Were Young" I will most definitely be picking up more of her books in the future. Fantastic storytelling,
Catherine Bukowski
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I went in to this thinking it was going to be a cute and fluffy contemporary. Sure there were some cute moments but this book ended up being much more serious. There was so much more meaning behind this book from depiction of mental illness to addiction. I think the book did a great job of showing the real world in some cases and how everything isn't always one big fairy tale.
Jana
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review-books
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

To be completely honest, I kind of hated this book. I wasn't really interested in the characters, and essentially it seemed to consist of nothing but intrigues and cheating and everyone doing terrible things to each other. That just wasn't my thing.
Kush Neal
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. Free books on Amazon are always difficult to choose but this one was a great read. It started off slow and felt kind of typical but really picked up halfway through and had me constantly wanting to read more.
Sara (Alicorn Feathers)
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
The pacing was really slow, until the rushed ending, and I think that’s because none of the characters really had a goal, and the entire book was drama between different types of relationships.

I couldn’t relate to our main character Livvy—at all—and I don’t know why David (her guardian, basically) or even Jack (the love interest) weren’t more on top of what her relationship with Luke (her current boyfriend) was doing to her. David was such a horrible person, but he was made out to be this great
Stefanie Stokes
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Ebook provided by NetGalley for review. Thank you.

Content Note: Rape, domestic violence, drug use.

I think damaging would be a way to describe this book. Shocking considering the author is apparently a therapist.

We follow two troubled teenagers: Livvy and Jack. Jack is on probation following a stint in juvenile detention for assault and is connecting with a father who never knew he existed. Livvy is the girl next door whose parents have all but abandoned her all while she's dealing with abusive
ernest.bookingway
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The beginning was very boring and did not grab my attention at all. There were grammatical errors littered throughout the entirety of the novel and parts that didn't make any sense.

Will I reread?No. Not really my cup of tea.Do I recommend?I mean if you like stories that are a bit juvenile and feel like they were rushed, with hardly any character or background development - then sure.

interested in its physical book
a continuous read / page-turner
diverse in any way
something’s lacking
took me a
April
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friends to lovers story which is not my favourite trope but this book made me fall in love with these complex and interesting for me this book was such a page turning as I could hardly put it down and I really want to read more from this author.
EruditeAF Literary Symposium
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I have such mixed feelings with this one. I was hooked right from the start but by the middle I was so stressed out with all of the characters that I didn't know if I could continue on. Then I did and the ending just left me feeling really unsatisfied. I went back and forth on what to rate this book, and I'm still not sure if I'm 100% on board with the 3.5/5 stars. But alas, let's get on with the review.

I didn't love any of the characters. I was disappointed in all of them, especially the
Sylvia Mcgrath
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book since the issues covered in the story are happening to people out there. Some scenes may be disturbing for some, but that's what makes it seem real. I was frustrated with some of the characters attitudes, how they were blinded by people's cover-ups and only seeing what they wanted to see, believing what they wanted to believe. I liked how the characters realised the importance of sticking with the people who appreciates you no matter what.

I would like to thank NetGalley for a

• The Death and Life of Eleanor Parker
  • I Had Such Friends
  • Born Scared
  • Bahama Mama (Key West Escape, #2)
  • Our Baby Was Born Premature (The Same Way He Was Conceived)
  • The Leading Edge of Now
  • Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #2)
  • Microsoft Word In 30 Minutes
  • #FashionVictim
  • The Last Astronaut
  • 22 Scars
  • The Next Adventure (The Backpacking Housewife, Book 2)
  • The Single Mums Move On
  • That Long Lost Summer
  • Magic Under the Mistletoe
  • Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1)
  • Blood Curse (Vampire's Love, #1)
  • One Christmas Star
Anna is the author of "When We Were Young" and "Drowning in Light," as well as her upcoming release, "In Midair." Her writing explores the intricacies of human relationships, overcoming personal struggle, and the connections between good and evil.