Start by marking “The Muse” as Want to Read:
The Muse

The Muse

What happens when the future brings the past?

Iris Eliot has survived a lot in her twenty-seven years. Despite the emotional and physical scars she carries, she refuses to be labelled a victim. Now in her final year of graduate school, her dream is within reach. She’s ready to put the past behind her and embrace whatever the future brings.

Until the future brings him.

Profess
Published September 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Muse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Muse

Jan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ku, teacher-student
I really liked the way The Muse started, strong heroine, asshole professor, funny lines, but around 40% I was bored out of my mind. I decided to go a little further and it paid off because an unexpected twist put me right back on track. It didn’t last long though. Downhill it went.
My experience with this story was like a bumpy road. Up and down.
The story was a bit insta-love ish. They met when he became her professor. The pull was immediate, strong and irresistible. They had a VERY short affair
Bev
I've gone back and forth with my rating because initially I loved the first half, arsehole hero and all! Then I got to thinking about it and for me there was nothing special here. This could've been so much more - insta-lust, arsehole hero, initially a strong heroine, forbidden romance, you name it - it had all the ingredients I love in a book. Then .... IDK, the writing got rather choppy and confusing.

Halfway through the author threw in a plot twist and I thought things were going to kick up a
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
description

4.5 fabulous stars!

“This feeling, right here and now, has brought gods from their heavenly thrones, started and ended wars, and shifted the borders of nations. Nothing in my life has prepared me for how you make me feel, Iris.”

We sampled her writing in the rockstar romance, Breaking Giants , and now, with The Muse, LM Halloran has cemented herself as a TBB 1Click author. We were completely sold on her talent, the story and her characters in this standalone student/teacher forbidden romance
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

OK - where to start. I really loved reading it. I had my problems with it - but all in all it was a really great romance.
I loved the student - professor thing. Especially because it wasn't creepy like in so many other books. She's 27 - he's 33. Perfect. BUT - I also had the feeling that, in a first draft of the book, the author used different ages, but didn't change the story. Everything felt like he was 42 and she was 19. And that would've been way too creepy, so she changed it. But you still n
Melanie (mells_view)
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Iris Eliot is so close to achieving her biggest goal, by finishing graduate school. Despite the whirlwind of a past she has overcome, at a surface glance she seems pretty normal. Once you get beneath the skin she's a little deeper than you may think.

Professor James Beckett is a best selling author and an award-winning poet, and also the new Creativing Writing professor Iris is TA-ing for. Not only is he a brilliant, but he is also more than easy on the eyes. He's got a bit of a reputation, but f
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

4.5 fabulous stars!

maggieandteddy
Very well written. !st person POV Iris, last year of graduate school. James Beckett, her professor in an English composition class.
Iris is also Beckett's TA for another class.
The chapters are numbered and one-word titles like: allegory, hubris, motif. I just noticed-they're in alphabetical order. The dialogue and narrative is very crisp and flows well. The chapters are short and kept my interest up.
There is insta-lust. Like faster than almost any book I've read. I thought, OK, good- there will
L.M. Halloran
Aug 12, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author
♥ The Muse is LIVE! ♥

Nikki
Oh dear. Very choppy writing style made it really hard to connect with the characters. Despite the heroine obviously having a hard life for some reason I didn't get the feels I should given her circumstances. I didn't like Beck/professor. He's aggressive with his students and particularly Iris. He's really inappropriate, this came across really sleazy as it happened almost as soon as they meet. For those reasons it was a DNF for me. It's go great reviews though so obviously I'm in the minority. ...more
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received from author for an honest review

It has been a couple of days, and I am still struggling to put into words how I feel about this book.

Not ecause it is bad, but because it is so darn good.

From the moment I read the blurb I knew this was going to be an emotional read, however I didn't know how much this book would engulf me.

From the first time Iris and James meet, I was emotionally invested in this couple. I couldn't help it. Ms Halloran drew me right into and I couldn't stop reading.

W
Jo ReadsRomance
"As far as first kisses go, that rewrote the book.".

As soon as I discovered that this book was a teacher/student romance, I was beyond excited and then I met the hot, brooding and arrogant male protagonist and I became even more thrilled for what was to come from this story. "The Muse" turned out to be so much more than a tale of forbidden love and with each new chapter, this novel continued to get better and better. I was well and truly hooked and devoured Iris and Beckett's story in less tha
Rachel Beamin'
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
I honestly feel like I’ve read this book before. To the point where I kept checking the cover, then going on Goodreads to see if I had it listed.
Strange.
Maybe it is because I’ve already read one that was similar.
Nonetheless, this apparently is no different from the college-professor-affair-getup-with-student genre.
Girl with a troubled past fancies the new professor (NP) with a British accent. NP is a womanizer, and is known for gallivanting around campus with different chicks.
Girl and NP loc
Heather Moss
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS BOOK!

This was my first book by this author and won't be my last! She is a beautiful writer who brought a beautiful story I couldn't put down. If you haven't read The Muse yet, I highly recommend you do.
Angela

Wow, this is one truly talented, and hugely underrated, author. The Muse was yet another beautifully written story and I loved it!!!

When the synopsis mentioned the words “physical scars and victim” I knew this was going to be an emotionally challenging story but these simple words couldn’t go far enough to express the pain and suffering experienced by Iris during her short life to date. Despite her past, Iris is pushing on towards a positive future as her dreams of becoming as successful a write
Jamie Guellar
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Omg I want to say how mad I am that you made me cry L.M Halloran, not being able to put my kindle down even while at work crying as I read. But I can't I love when an author can pull at my heartstrings and keep me coming back for more. I could not put this book down and finished in one sitting.

Iris and James drove me absolutely nuts, but so worth reading. I loved this book and highly recommend it.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
I had heard great things about this one, but for me, this was one of those books that had amazing moments and then lost its way in between. At times I was throughly invested and then in others my brain wandered. Drawn to this by the student/teacher trope. For me this was instalust/love, with a three week affair and then a few meet agains later on in the years. The professor was one that wanted his cake and eat it and I didn't believe in them as a couple. I enjoyed it. Just didn't love it.

Shirley
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 51%

I hate to DNF a book but to be honest I was bored and didn’t really like either of the characters…….although I did warm a bit to Beckett. So that’s me bowing out, guess this one just wasn’t for me.
Nicole Locker
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's playing me like chess. I'm going to lose.

Where do I begin? I am a huge fan of LM Halloran, and book after book reiterates why. Her writing is so lyrical, her characters so life-like with such depth and relativity. You feel what they feel - every ecstatic, humorous, and gut-wrenching part. Every page of The Muse will keep you turning to read the next. It's a story that will pull you in and won't release its hold until the very last page.

In this book, Iris is a grad student and a writer. She
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
:::

Overall Rating :: 4 stars
Series :: Standalone.
Hero/Heroine :: James/Iris
POV :: All Iris, except for the epilogue from James.
Cliffhanger :: Nope.
HEA :: (view spoiler)

:::

Gah! Okay, so I'm totally obsessed with L.M. Halloran. Like, want to be a beta reader, wants to read everything she's ever written, even if it's just a grocery list. She just writes these ridiculously real and flawed (my favorite) characters. Even her secondary characters, man. They have so much personality
Lorie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

WOW!!!! LM Halloran sure can write! Breaking Giants made me a fan, but this made me a loyal reader for sure!!!!

After reading the first few chapters I got REALLY excited because this is the first book since Gabriel’s Inferno that gave me what I’ve been craving from a student/teacher romance. Gabriel’s Inferno is iconic and for a book to even be able to hold a candle to it says a lot.

The anticipation and excitement had me devouring this in one sitting. I was hooked from the very first
Steph Poe
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book with flawed characters; exactly the kind I like to read. I always prefer to read characters that are 'real'. People are imperfect in real life, and real life is messy. Bad things happen to good people. But, love. Love can change it all. Love can bring peace and happiness. Love helped bring Iris and James together. They were strong enough to overcome their obstacles.
I enjoyed everything about their story. The dialogue between them was great, really showing thei
Sbell
I have just recently found this author and her
book The Fall Before Flight, and I LOVED it,
and I have found a new one-click author.
That being said, I was frustrated a little bit
with this book. Now, I love angst. LOVE. IT.
But I didn't understand the OW angst in
this book. We meet James and he is a hot
literature professor and we meet his TA Iris. James
is just yummy. He is a little older and I
loved that he was mysterious and dirty at
the same time. Iris, we find out later, has
had a complicated past
CeCe
DNF. I wanted to love this one. I was excited to read this one.

However, the hero comes off as sleazy.
His comments came too fast. This was his second relationship with a 'student'.
I was unable to connect even though I love the premises - student/teacher stories.
She is 27 grad, hero is 33.
It felt forced. Too insta-lust/love.
Crystal N
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot! I'm very tempted to back down to a four star for just how frustrating I found the hero and heroine during spots, but I *understood* why they were behaving as such, so I just couldn't do it. This is my first book from this author, but not the last. She appeals to one of my weak points: She gives good banter.
“Human”
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LM Halloran is a book slump buster. There I said it. Again. She truly is!!!! I loved this story!!!! Angsty and beautiful. Her books deserve all the praise, they are sexy and mesmerizing and just... so fucking good. ❤ 📚 🔥 ...more
RunBarbRun
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Iris (❤ that name!) is a teacher’s assistant and James is the teacher she’s assisting. This books has a lot happen in less than a month and then a lot of time passes between scenes for awhile. I enjoyed the banter, the supporting characters and the storyline. ...more
Neisha † The Submissive Poet †
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This story was heartbreakingly beautiful. There were so many ups and downs, trials and tribulations, and so many times I wanted to smack Iris and shake James. I absolutely adored this story. I have been in a funk with the books I have read, but this one is a favorite.
Jko
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully complicated and well written.
Jen
I loved it and devoured it! Beautifully written with all the drama and angst but it just flowed for me.
Katy Ames
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one day and have been thinking about it ever since, trying to find the right word to describe it. The one I keep coming back to is lyrical. Like a well-crafted song, L.M. Halloran's writing and characters pull you in from the beginning, carrying you through the ebb and flow of their experiences, sending you down low, soaring up high, and loving every moment in between. I enjoyed the development of the characters, both individually and as they related to each other. And the lo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Broken Ever After (Ever After, #1)
  • Fractured
  • An Altered Ending
  • Lost
  • Fall Semester
  • Redemption Island (Island Duet #1)
  • Twenty-One Trees
  • The Marriage Pact (Viral, #2)
  • We All Fall Down (Of Love and Madness, #2)
  • Hybrid (The Healer #2)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Yours Forever (Reign #3)
  • Every Shattered Thing (Shattered Things, #1)
  • Shattered (Shattered, #1)
  • This Love (This Love Trilogy, #1)
  • Double Betrayal (Surviving #3)
  • Chasing Fire (Fire and Fury, #1)
  • After All Is Said and Done - A Novel of Infidelity, Healing, & Forgiveness
When she's not reading or writing, the author enjoys walking barefoot, subjecting her husband to questionable recipes, and chasing her spirited toddler. She's a rabid fan of coffee, moongazing, and small dogs that resemble Ewoks. She lives in San Diego, CA, with her family.