Start by marking “I Am Bat” as Want to Read:
I Am Bat

I Am Bat

I am bat.
I love cherries. They are juicy and red and delicious and...
My cherries! Some of them are missing.
Who took my cherries? Was it YOU?

Join the grumpily adorable Bat as he searches for his missing cherries in this vibrant and hilarious picture book.
Published September 5th 2017 by Sourcebooks/Jabberwocky (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Bat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Bat

Julie Carpenter
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun children's book. Bat is a little protective and a little grumpy. I think kids will definitely enjoy this read. Especially if the reader has fun with bat's character and voice in the story. He has a bunch of cherries he is protecting and warns the reader not to touch his cherries. When he sets them down, they start to disappear. Who is taking the cherries? Will bat behind to find out who the culprits are? I enjoyed the illustrations, bat was expressive in his different moods and the bright co ...more
Chance Lee
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it, storytime
Bright, colorful images complement a fun story about a grouchy bat and his cherries. He's so busy telling people not to take his cherries, that a bunch of animals steal his cherries. Whoops. He finds a new favorite in the end, and all is right in Bat's world.

Storytime 11/28. The kids LOVED this book -- the bright colors, the cutesy animals, the bat's long fangs. Everything.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Bat is a grumpy character, who states that he does not like mornings, but likes cherries. Bat guards his cherries, but when he puts them down they begin to disappear. His expressions are wonderful. We see other animals eating the cherries at the top of the page. When they leave him other fruit in exchange, he realizes that he likes fruit in general. A nice way to show children that if you taste food, you may find you like other things.

The illustrations were colourful and show expressions well. T
Helen White
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior-teen
My new favourite picture book. This is bat. Bat likes cherries. Do not take the cherries or bat will be ferocious like a lion. A lion takes bat's cherries his devastation is real. The best drawn bat I've ever seen.
Kirsty Stanley
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story the moral of which is if you steal cherries from a bat give them a pear instead.
Dna
There are so many funny ways to read this book. Bat of I Am Bat is the cutest little bat ever. Just don't take his cherries.
Amanda
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I so want to do this for storytime! So funny!
Barbara
Bat is not a morning person, but he does have a couple of things he likes, particularly juicy, red cherries. I'm not sure why he loves them so much, but the fact remains that he does, and he is very protective of those cherries, having no intention of sharing them with anyone else. When the cherries disappear, eaten by other animals who are visible at the top of the page, he proclaims just how miserable he is. But his unseen friends offer a delicious green pear to replace the stolen cherries, an ...more
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
"I am bat. I do not like mornings." (I don't either!)
" I like cherries. They are my favorite of all things." (Same here! WOW!!)

There is an especially cute illustration of bat guarding some cherries. I resemble this illustration when I have cherries.

I think this was adorable! As a teacher of preschool and elementary aged children, I highly recommend it. It is a picture book appropriate for ages 4 and up. I am certain all the kids I work with would eat it up. Just like I would cherries. And other
Emily Mcbride
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this on a bit of a whim for my almost three year old, because it seemed to deal with themes of possessiveness. Now it is my favourite of all things. In fact, it is currently the favourite picture book of myself, my partner, my sister, my parents and the almost three year old herself. We bought it a week ago and have read it approximately 300 times. Bat is an adorable, grouchy fanged hero and I feel that both a fun story (complete with a lion subplot) and a fully developed character are ...more
Jessica ☕
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, kids-storybooks
I wished I loved this story more, but it fell a bit flat for me. Bat is crazy about cherries, and very protective of them, but when some cherries disappear and are replaced by a pear, he can be just as crazy and protective of the pear, instead.

I wish the bat had been either cuter or more realistic, and that the story had some sort of message or lesson or something other than a brief chuckle at how quickly Bat decides that the pear is an acceptable alternative to his beloved cherries.

received via
Sharon
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love, I Am Bat, perfect for the pre-school age group. Love the art work, simple block prints and primary colours, reminiscent of Miffy books. Love the simple humour and whimsy, sometimes children's books just make me smile, and disturbingly I think I can identify with Bat. Perhaps I should read more children's books.
Sylvia
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple, fun, with bold, colorful images.
This book was a hit with my pre-school, kindergarten, and first grade story times.

It also ended up being a great way to talk to the first-grade kids about their favorite kinds of fruits. The kids also talked about how it was not very nice of Bat to refuse to share his cherries.
Melissa McAlvey
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
I know I am partial to the newish trend of a picture character talking to the reader, but they are just so fun to read aloud. Add in a main character who is an animal not featured in many picture books, and simple fun text and illustrations and you have a winner to me.
Tara
I received this arc from Netgalley for an honest review.
The Little bat does not like to get up early, but he loves cherries. His cherries keep disappearing. Where are they going, it must be the reader.
Catriona Cox
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Donna Maguire
I wanted to like this book, but the story wasn't very strong for me and I wasn't a huge fan of the images - the story is easy enough to follow for young children who are just learning a few words, but don't see it being a book that is read over and over again. Two stars from me sadly.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Jillyn
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: requested, ebook

This is an okay book, but I was left a bit disappointed.

I adore bats, so I was really excited to see one as the main character of this picture book.

I'll start with the good things first. The art work is really cute. It's full of bright colors and cute fonts. I also really like Bat himself. He has good facial expressions that match well with the text that is alongside it.

But there's... Not really a story arc. It ends really suddenly, and you're not given a lot to go off of. I understand that t
Emily Duchon
super cute. perfect for toddler time!

this is about a little bat that loves, loves cherries. you better not take them, you hear?

it made me want both a bowl full of cherries and a delightful pet bat to go home to.

i guess i'll settle for the bowl full of cherries though.

Baby Bookworm
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is I Am Bat by Morag Hood, the cute and quirky story of a little bat and a beloved snack.

On the first page, we are introduced to Bat. Bat does not like mornings. Bat DOES like cherries. They are juicy and sweet, and they’re his very favorite. He has some cherries here, but you cannot have them. In fact, he knows exactly how many he has, so don’t even think about i
Emilie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Summary:
This is the book about a bat who LOVES cherries. The bat loves everything about cherries and refuses to share his cherries. When he leaves he warns you not to touch his cherries... but when he comes back some are missing! Who took his cherries? He says he will never be happy ever again .. until something comes along in the end of the book. The graphics in this book were very simple but I felt it was fitting. This book is probably for the younger kids in grades Pre-K through first grade.
A
Dawn
Bat loves cherries and is very adamant that she is not interested in sharing her cherries. When some go missing, she turns to the reader for help finding who stole her cherries. In the end, reparations are made . . . with a pear!

The illustrations are cute and some of the humor is reminiscent of Mo Willem's Pigeon books. Although it's a fairly short picture book, there are a handful of loose ends. What's up with the random frog? What is the connection between mornings and cherries? These bothered
Clara
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of attending a publishers event with Morag Hood, and her short reading from I Am Bat was definitely the highlight of the evening - a room full of adults grinning helplessly at a children's book. The colours are bright and charming, the lino-printed illustrations (originally created by the author herself) are gorgeous, and I am a huge fan of the font they ran with. Visually, this book is stunning. I see that some reviewers weren't enthralled with the story, and I have to disagr ...more
Sharon Tyler
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I am Bat by Morag Hood is a picturebook about a bat who is a little grumpy, and very protective of his cherries. When they start going missing the bat searches for the thief, even blaming the reader. As he searches he discovers that cherries are not the only delicious fruit available.

I am Bat is a cute picturebook about a grumpy little bat afraid that his favorite foods will disappear. When he finds cherries gone he is desperate to find the cherries, and the culprit. I loved his reluctant admis
Janet
Oct 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
The colors in the illustrations are great. The story not so much. Somehow the author could/should have referenced this bat as a fruit bat and not all bats eat fruit. Most people including children are fearful of bats and somehow this story will not lessen that or enlighten them as to the real essence of a bat. Yes, I know we authors can and do give animals human characteristics in stories. However, just a touch of info about a fruit bat would have been helpful even though most people will never ...more
Nikkie Sierra
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a simple picture book but there are so many things children will enjoy about it. Bat is grumpy and selfish with his food, but he is endearing. The illustrations go a long way in making the reader like this grumpy little bat. They are simple drawings, but are well done. The book lends itself to some interactive aspects as well. Children can count the cherries; guess which animal took the cherries, and it could even open discussion about emotions. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think s ...more
Nicole
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am Bat by Morag Hood is a simple picture book. There are many things children will enjoy about it. The main character, Bat, is grumpy and selfish with his food, but he is adorable.The illustrations are cute and the reader ends up liking this grumpy little bat. The drawings are simple, but are done well. The book touches on fruit, colors, feelings, and hints at friends.

I give this story 4/5 stars.

I received this book from Sourcebooks Jabberwocky via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda Work
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This fun story of Bat who extols the virtues of his beloved cherries is a great option for read-aloud programs as well as one on one sharing. Any young child will easily associate Bat's attachment to its cherries with their own attachment to the things they love with a possessive passion. While other characters in the story are only seen and not heard, they play an important part in the lesson Bat learns at the end about putting too much importance on one thing.
Erin
Short and simple, I love bat's initially grumpy but ultimately optimistic attitude. Worth reading once to see if anyone notices who's taking the cherries, and then a second time to really point out what's going on. The illustrations are bold and simple - easy to see - and bat's expressions are priceless.

On a personal note, there are many days when I feel like bat, and this is just one more reason why more grown ups should read more picture books.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Oops, Pounce, Quick, Run!: An Alphabet Caper
  • I'm Sad (I'm Bored, #2)
  • Read the Book, Lemmings!
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Bear and Chicken
  • Littles: And How They Grow
  • Fruits in Suits
  • A Piece of Cake
  • I Got a Chicken for My Birthday
"I'm an award-winning children's book author and illustrator from Edinburgh. I love making up stories, print-making and cutting and sticking. My favourite things to draw are eyebrows.

I have an MA in Children's Book Illustration from Cambridge School of Art and a BA in Costume Design from Wimbledon College of Art. I used to work in theatre, but now spend my days in my Edinburgh studio with views of