Start by marking “Moon Plane” as Want to Read:
Moon Plane

Moon Plane

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Can airplanes fly to the moon? This one can! Above the clouds an airplane flies into the sky. On the ground a small boy looks up. A young boy sees a plane overhead and imagines himself in it, traveling all the way to the moon. What does he see on his way?  With characteristically spare prose, Caldecott Honor winner Peter McCarty invites readers along for an imaginary trip ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Julia
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If there is going to be any book that is going to be considered underrated for its beauty I have a feeling that out of the children section this book will be it. Lacking in the normal bright colors that catch the child's eye and a heavy plot that focuses on a lesson this one seems to be a beautiful salute to the imagination of a child where there are no restrictions to the thoughts and to the loving parent who waits at the end of each adventure for them to come back home.

Again the reading is r
Patrick Resse
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: musso
Moon Plane, written and illustrated by Peter McCarty, is a story that teeters on the side of being fantasy and fiction. It tells of a boy imagining himself as flying a plane and all the wonderful places he would go. This book is better suited for kids in kindergarten and first grade since there is minimal text. This book does not have any awards, but is a great book to help get your imagination going. An unnamed boy sees a plane fly above him and wonders what it would be like to be in the plane ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fly me to the moon...

It's sweet, simple, and gentle. It's definitely good for children who are into airplanes. It's an imaginative journey from a boy standing on the ground who sees an airplane flying overhead. He imagines that if he were in the airplane, he would fly it to the moon and then jump in the air and fly like the airplane and then he would fly home and his mother would be waiting for him. At the end he goes home and dreams of airplanes.

It's cute. It has a gentle, dreamlike quality to
Olivia Eaton
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Preschool - Moon Storytime
Rebecca Boliard
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
*2007 Charlotte Zolotow Winner*
When I first picked this book up at my local library, I was not expecting much of a storyline flipping through the pages quickly, oh how I was wrong. Peter McCarty does a beautiful job of telling this story. This book is a simple read, it could easily be used in k-2 grade. The story begins with an airplane high in the sky. On the ground, is a boy. The boy then wonders what it would be like to be on that flight. This is when the boy's imagination soars. With one sen
Barbara
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The pencil on watercolor paper illustrations in this picture book are quite memorable, evoking a sense of serenity at times and a sense of marvel at others. Certainly, they make it possible to feel as though the wheat in the fields is waving in the breeze and a young boy can bounce on the moon's surface. The colors are starkly beautiful until he returns home to his mother, and then soft blues and reds appear. The story itself is deceptively simple while describing an almost universal childhood w ...more
Ruhama
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
A simple story of a young boy using his imagination to be able to fly. An airplane flies over the countryside, and suddenly, the boy is in the plane, heading toward the moon. By the end of the book, though, he's safely back home, with plenty of adventure under his belt. The illustrations are reminiscent of Hondo and Fabian--very soft and muted. Colors are sparse and there is no difference between the imagined world and the real world, but most children won't have a problem with that. Overall, it ...more
Cari Mcintyre
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Moon Plane, written and illustrated by Caldecott Honor winner Peter McCarty, tells the story of a little boy who dreams of traveling in a plane to the moon. The story begins with a little boy who sees a passing plane above him, and then follows his imagination as he dreams what it is like to fly in the plane. The story is simple yet powerful, but the real magic lies within the illustrations. The soft colors and shading creates a calm, dream like theme that makes the reader feel like they are ...more
Larissa
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
McCarty, Peter. Moon Plane. New York: Henry Holt, 2006. Print. Ages 4-6. Moon plane is a very simple and easy read, but yet a book with not a lot of color. This book tells of how it would be fun for a little boy to be on a plane and all of the adventures that he would go through and the adventures that he would want to encounter to make sure that he would get up to the moon. This book is an easy read, but it is hard to make sure that a book has a lot of color if the story doesn't match up. This ...more
Rachel
May 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute book about a boy's imagination after he sees a plane flying in the sky, and imagines himself flying over cars, trains, and boats. Finally it leaves the earth and flies all the way to the moon where the boy gets off and flies across the moon in his space suit. He then gets back on the plane and returns to his house, mother and off to bed to dream about flying. I liked the softly grey and white illustrations (pencil on watercolor paper)that made everything look rounded and almost airbrushed. ...more
Lila
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Moon Plane is a sweet book perfect for a young child. A little boy imagines flying to the moon in a plane. The illustrations are perfect for the text. My son really enjoyed this book. He often wonders what it would be like to fly to Mars. I enjoyed this book because the text was short and sweet( I had to read it four times in a row.) I'm sure we will read it AT LEAST four more times before returning it to the library.
Robert
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
After discovering Peter McCarty's work only recently, I have quickly become a fan of his books. He writes simply, appropriate for bedtime reading to sleepy children, and for young first time readers just learning. The pictures are all splendid, soft pencil with muted colors. The story is simple, a boy imagines himself flying aboard a plane all the way to the moon and back. A delightful book indeed.
Karen
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. My husband used to build space shuttles; now he builds airplanes, so my little boy is interested in both space and planes.

This is such a beautiful book. The story itself is good, if not spectacular, but this is such a beautiful book.

Actual rating: 3 stars for the text, 5 stars for the artwork -- have I mentioned how beautiful the artwork is?
Rebecca Ann
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a story about a young boy who daydreams about flying an airplane to the moon. It reminded me a bit of "Where the Wild Things Are" because in this story too, a little boy dreams of adventure and then longs for home and safety at the end. The illustrations have a misty, dream-like quality that fit perfectly. This book would be great for storytime.
Maggie
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlotte Zolotow Award (2007)

Fuzzy, mystical illustrations bring imagination and a quiet energy to the story of a boy who imagines himself flying a plane to the moon and back. This has a great potential for a bedtime book, as the subject matter is soft and slow. Could be good for a planets-themed story time.
Cherilyn Latimer
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a good story about a little boy who dreams in his sleep of all the things he could do if he had a plane. This is a good book because it shows the lesson of not giving up on your dreams no matter how different they seem. This would be a good children's bedtime story to help a child learn to know dreams are good and can be fun.
Chad VanDosen
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really enjoyed this book and would definitely have it in my classroom. I love how it encourages children to dream big and imagine things. The boy imagining flying in an airplane to the moon and back is really encouraging for children to keep imagining as well. I love books and inspire imagination, and this book does it well.
Dolly
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, aviation, childrens
This is a simple story about a boy's dream to fly in an airplane - above the roads and houses, over the ocean, and all the way to the moon. The narrative is short and good for beginning readers and the illustrations are soft, sepia-tones that help impart the feeling of being in a dream world. Our girls liked this story and our oldest helped me read it aloud.
Jen
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
A boy sees an airplane flying overhead and wonders what it would be like if he were flying in that plane all the way to the moon. Very simple story with gorgeous illustrations to match it. I really enjoyed this book.
Ina
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
With beautiful, muted illustrations, this book starts out with a small boy looking up at an airplane in the sky...and we follow that boy as he imagines that plane flying him to the moon and back. Simple text helps take even the smallest reader up in that plane and all the way to the moon.
Alexandra
A simple story with beautifully simple pictures. Room for the child's own imagination.

For chidren of picture book age who dream of flying, airplanes or visiting the moon.
Sophia W
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, simple story with incredible illistrations.
Grg
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a lot to this book, but the pencil drawings of the moon are beautiful and that kid looks awesome in his space suit!
Cara
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book. Reminded me of a black and white movie.
A little boy sees a plane flying overhead begins to imagine what would happen if he was in the plane and we go on his imagined flight.
Zack
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As with every other Peter McCarty book the illustrations and beautiful. While some of his books might be weak in the story area, this one is well done and would make a great bedtime story.
Kate
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Sam is going through an airplane phase. He throws a fit if we don't read this to him over and over and over again.
Christine
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 3+
Peter McCarty is one of my favorite author/illustrators of children's' books. His illustrations are just beautiful, and the story is of a little boy with a big imagination.
Joy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
McCarty's delightful illustrations and simple text tell a sweet and simple story of a child's imagination.
Jul 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-books
Pictures were bleak. Even my 2 year old knew you couldn't take a plane to the moon. I have see this same plot done better by other authors.
The Brothers
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A little boy's imagination takes flight (pun intended!) when he watches planes fly over head. If he was on one, they'd go to the moon and back!

Dreamy, fuzzy illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Night Light
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • One Monster After Another
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Bubble Trouble
  • McDuff Comes Home
  • Toy Boat
I was born in 1966 in Westport, Connecticut right in the middle of two older brothers and two younger sisters. We kept our mother busy while my father worked long hours at IBM. Most of my childhood was spent in my head. I was usually recreating a battle from World War II or running from dinosaurs in prehistoric times. To this day, I develop characters and environments based on worlds I first creat ...more
More about Peter McCarty