Start by marking “The Death Messenger (Matthew Ryan #2)” as Want to Read:
The Death Messenger (Matthew Ryan #2)

The Death Messenger

(Matthew Ryan #2)

Track a stalker. Catch a killer.

When a mysterious DVD is delivered to Northumbria Police Headquarters, DS Matthew Ryan and Detective Superintendent Eloise ONeil are among the few to view its disturbing content. With little to go on the only lead comes from the anonymous and chilling womans voice narrating the blood-soaked lock-up depicted on screen.

But with no victim

Kindle Edition
Published November 16th 2017 by Pan

Start your review of The Death Messenger (Matthew Ryan #2)
Christine
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In 2015, Mari Hannah gave us The Silent Room. It was a strong and delicious thriller, with a dash of espionage. We all loved it. Me especially! Matthew Ryan returns in The Death Messenger, much to my total delight.

Ryan and ONeill are back, with a seemingly impossible case to crack. Hannah reunites all of our favourites from The Silent Room, in a brand new elite team. Detective Superintendent Eloise ONeill heads this unit. The unit is designed to tackle the trickiest of cases. The most
Lou
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Death Messenger is the second novel in the DS Matthew Ryan and DS Eloise O'Neil series based in Northumberland, the area in which I live, and once again Ms Hannah has absolutely smashed it. Although part of a series the book works well as a standalone, however, you will miss out on the characters evolution and growth from The Silent Room. Here, a depraved and heinous killer taunts the police by sending disturbing DVDs of their kills to police headquarters. The killer escalates and begins ...more
Dave
The Death Messenger is a police procedural with a bizarre serial killer sending videos of her kills. Ryan and O'Neil are the oddly matched set of British investigators who work well together despite all kinds of tensions between them. The book seems really well written and the characters well fleshed out. Yet, for some reason, it was a struggle to stay interested and to actually finish it. Might be worth another read later on.
Thebooktrail
description

Visit the locations in the novel Meet the Death Messenger

Ryan and O'Neil are back ....with a bang. A complicated case of videos being sent to police up and down the country, victims left right and centre and with no obvious links.. this is a meaty thriller to really get those teeth into.

Ryan and O'Neil really shine in this book - their relationship, arguments, mutual respect yet love hate relationship develops and is at the centre of this case. There's backstory which builds up a very
Denise
Jan 18, 2019 added it
Excellent crime thriller/police procedural featuring a killer with a very unique motive.

This second in the series (regretfully, I missed the first one), starts as Detective Superintendent Eloise O'Neil and Detective Sergeant Matthew Ryan of the Northumbria Police are setting up a newly formed unit that could have the potential to deal with international issues or really hot assignments. Their first case starts when they receive a DVD depicting a bloody murder scene in a lock-up close to the
Jenn Conwell
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series following The Silent Room. This is the perfect novel for true crime thriller fans. Its intense, following the capture of a potential female serial killer sending videos of what looks like the aftermath of a murder scene. A little dark, but an addicting read. I'm usually not into reading books that were first released in Europe because I feel like I can't connect to some of the lingo in those kind of books, but this was not hard for me to follow at all. This ...more
Raven
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know I baulk every time I read the strapline, that so and so author is 'at the height of their powers' but, I think in Mari Hannah's case this is absolutely fair. Not only the author of the brilliant DI Kate Daniels series, but onto a winner with this, the follow up to The Silent Room which first introduced us to Ryan and O'Neill.
Obviously you will discover for yourselves the extremely well crafted storyline, and the highly original compunction the killers have for committing the crimes they
Kaye
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Let's see: Good news first, or bad? Let's go for the good. The Death Messenger delivered a motley but frighteningly competent crew of investigators and an unusual medical plot thread. It was rich in atmosphere and geographic detail.

Not only are the detectives playing a bizarre cat-and-mouse game with their perpetrator(s), who deliver high-quality video of the crime scenes, but they are also being toyed with by those above them in the chain of command.

The bad: The book was way longer than it
Natasha
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Some of it was okay and most of it seemed to plod on for me.
Kate
What a writer Mari Hannah is! A brilliant follow up to The Silent Room.

Stargazer
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
yet again, i was interested for a god while but got bored by the end. unmemorable.
Donna Hines
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Playing like a fiddle this elaborate plot to reveal disturbing content via dvd form to police is just the tip of the iceberg.
You know they say there's always more beneath the surface and this is a nice build up to the ultimate reveal especially in regards to the police department trying to bring victims families justice.
One thing is for certain a serial killer seems to be taking pleasure in being elusive.
Perhaps the pieces of this murder mystery can be solved quickly before more bodies are
Wendy Greenberg
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I had read The Silent Room a while back, but didn't struggle recognising the characters, despite the different context.

The plotting is razor sharp and moves along at breakneck pace. Unusual range of victims and suspects which gives the reader work to do. I enjoyed the layering of personal relationships between the investigators amid the diverse locations and plot strands.
Louise Beilby
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise of this book is great - the DVD of the crime scene with the chilling voiceover, the Newcastle setting... but the idea is largely squandered through poor execution. The crimes themselves are treated almost as an afterthought. We never get told directly what was on the DVDs exactly, nor what the woman says on her voiceover. Instead, we have to make do with hearing about it second hand via the oddly unengaging police characters.

The author is clearly pretty enamoured of the people she
Hana Correa
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Death Messenger, by Mari Hannah, is a police procedural novel set in the UK. This is a second novel in this series follows ONeill and Ryan. There are several references to the first storyline, and it might have been helpful to have had some experience with the first novel.

In this novel, ONeill and Ryan have joined forces on an elite squad known as the shadow squad. The Shadow squad investigates crimes that are unusual or exceptional. They catch their first case in the form of a series of
gem
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect for fans of Fiona Cummings and Jane Casey.

I hadnt read book one in this series but that didnt matter as I was instantly caught up Detective Ryan and ONeils latest case.

The action kicks in immediately and the detectives are caught up in a case which seems impossible to solve; how are they going to find a murderer when they only have a video with a crime scene, but no body and no clue where the crime took place.?!
And then things take an even darker turn...

This story is full of twists and
Kathleen Gray
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit to being a Mari Hannah fan. I very much enjoyed the first Matthew Ryan novel but I don't think you need to have read it to appreciate this cat and mouse game with a clever serial killer. Ryan is now working with DS Eloise O'Neill, who's a cracker of an investigator. They are up against a woman who is sending DVDs of the murders- which take place across the UK. Tying things together and figuring out what's going on is tough but these two, along with others on the team, are good at what ...more
Andy Walker
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second Ryan and ONeill novel is as readable as the first and full of intrigue and finely plotted interest. A series of murders accompanied by taunting DVDs from the killer set our two detective sergeants on the trail of a killer who has revenge on their mind and the means to carry it out to a deathly conclusion. As ever, Hannah makes you care about her key characters and writes in a style that keeps the reader glued to the page long after the bedroom light ought to have gone out. Its another ...more
Ruth
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ryan and ONeill are back, with a seemingly impossible case to crack. Hannah reunites all of the favourite characters from The Silent Room, and they work together in a brand new team.. Detective Superintendent Eloise ONeill heads this unit. The unit is designed to tackle the trickiest of cases. The most challenging cases, wherever they occur. The cases that need a bit of thinking outside of the box. That is the brief.
Enjoyable fast paced read with twists and turns.
Good characters. with good
Terri Anderson
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2019
This is the second book in a series and reading the first book would have helped because some of the relationships were formed earlier. It was quite an interesting police procedural to start with as a special crime force is searching for a serial killer who sends videos before the bodies are discovered. I lost interest as it went on, partly because of all the driving around the country the characters did in the course of their investigation. It dragged on at the end. Could have been shorter and ...more
Alya Atiera
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Wow, the mystery in this book made me want to read more of books with investigation case! I love the story though I felt like the romance shouldn't be inside the book. However, it was intriguing enough with challenging case to be solved immediately.

I would love to read another police investigation case that are mystery and challenging. Let me know if you guys know any! 😃 This book can be read without reading the first book because it is standalone. In fact, I did not even read the
Allison
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i hate to leave bad reviews, but this was hardly a thriller. virtually no action whatsoever, mainly banter among poorly constructed characters in my opinion. i think this is a series and i jumped into a book at the wrong time. maybe its better if you read them in order, but this is a 400+ page book that couldve been condensed into a 100 page book. very dull and i found myself waiting to be done. i really wanted to enjoy it and im sad i didnt ...more
Margaret
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good book for a long train journey. It was cleverly constructed in that we meet the mysterious, clever, taunting murderer before we meet any of the good guys. And we are as in the dark about her identity as anybody. This was a complex plot, too complex for me to be sure I'd followed it in detail, but it never stopped me reading on. However, I am bound to admit that three days after finishing this book, I can barely remember the first thing about it.
Pam
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Book 2 of a series (I did not read Book 1, The Silent Witness), but I really don't think that was a problem. It may have helped with the character development but did not distract.

The book held my interest throughout, but did not blow me away. Police Detectives Mathew Ryan and Eloise O'Neil receive a very disturbing video and must unravel the clues before more victims start to pile up.

Many thanks to Netgalley and St Martins Press for this advanced readers copy.
Helen
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a follow-up to "The silent room", but not necessary to read the other book to enjoy this one. A thriller with some special branch/MI5/freelance spookery, good plot, quite complicated in terms of personal relationships (can the team actually trust each other, for a start?) and a satisfying outcome.
Pat
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another gripping book from Mari Hannah. Now that I have read the two books with DS Ryan in them, I start to wonder where LJ Ross got some of her ideas. A worrying thought. Mari Hannah certainly gets my vote every time.
Jenny L
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
This made a change to the usual police crime novel, in as much as it was a steady read with the lead characters methodically working their way to solving the multiple murders. I will look to read more by Mari Hannah.
Myshelle
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Mari Hannah's The Silent Room but I struggled with the Death Messenger. It just seemed to drag on to me. The final ending was a good well thought out reasoning for the crime though.
Simona
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Need to read book 1
Jessica
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
full review to follow

• Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • Cold as the Grave: Inspector McLean 9 (The Inspector McLean Series)
  • Time for the Dead (Rhona MacLeod #14)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • The Killer in Me (Frankie Sheehan, #2)
  • I Love the Bones of You: My Life, My Family, My Father
  • Once a Liar
  • The Benefit of Hindsight (Simon Serrailler, #10)
  • The Gathering Dark (Inspector McLean, #8)
  • No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Die Alone (The Bone Field #3; DI Ray Mason #4)
  • Dark Site (Sam Dryden, #3)
  • Westwind
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • The Stalker
  • Dead Man's Lane (Wesley Peterson #23)
When an injury on duty ended my career as Probation Officer, I began writing. I am the author of the Kate Daniels and Ryan & ONeil series published by Pan Macmillan and the Stone & Oliver series published by Orion. My debut, The Murder Wall, was written as a TV pilot for a BBC Drama Development Scheme - before the adaption. The novel won the Polari First Book Prize. Before becoming an ...more

Matthew Ryan (2 books)
  • The Silent Room (Matthew Ryan #1)