Start by marking “A Wild and Unremarkable Thing” as Want to Read:
A Wild and Unremarkable Thing

A Wild and Unremarkable Thing

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Cayda has spent her entire life training to slay a Fire Scale. Now the time has come to leave her dragon-ravaged village behind, march into the Summer Alps, and reap the rewards of a Champion. But the road between poverty and prosperity is rife with beasts, betrayals, and baser temptations. Sensible Cayda soon discovers she’s not the only Champion with her eye on the prize ...more
ebook
Published January 23rd 2018 by The Parliament House (first published December 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Wild and Unremarkable Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wild and Unremarkable Thing

Carrie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: publisher-arc
A Wild and Unremarkable Thing by Jen Castleberry is a young adult fantasy novella that I was lucky enough to win in a giveaway from the publisher, The Parliament House. A bit of a medieval tale involving dragons with some Greek mythology mixed into it.

Cayda was a young girl that fell victim to her father’s cruelty when one day she even had to give up her name and identity with her father telling her she was to be presented as a boy and known as Cody. Cody spent all the time training to slay a Fi
Candace Robinson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I seriously loved the writing in this one. It's also written in third person present tense which worked really well. There are several POV's in this, and I actually enjoyed them all, which is hard for me sometimes. Too many people can equal too annoying, but they each had their own distinctive voices.

I really felt for Cody AKA Cayda for how she had to live because of her father and what her sister's had to do for money. Penn was an interesting character, and I loved him! The crown prince ha
Alexandra
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1018
Poetic, adventurous and romantic!

I received an e-copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

This book was one hell of a hidden gem! I had seen the blog opportunity and I couldn't have signed up faster! The story takes place in a kingdom where every fifteen years, dragons appear to the skies in order to mate. Then, it's the chance for the Champion to appear, the strongest one who will slay a dragon and become rich and famous. Cayda
Chiara
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I recieved an ebook copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*

A Wild and Unremarkable Thing follows the story of Cody, a girl who is being trained by her father to become a Fire Scale slayer after an attack on her town that has forever altered the balance of her family. Her mother has a drinking addiction, her younger sisters are forced to work in a brothel and Cody must leave behind all dreams to become the slayer that her father wants her to become. However, forgetting who she was
Cara Lancaster
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Wild and Unremarkable Thing was such a joy to read. It's not often I find a book that I can't put down, and this is one of the few that had me sneaking in a few chapters during the work day. Jen has created a beautiful world, with characters who are driven toward their purpose, and living their lives to the fullest. The imagery was clear and beautiful. The characters were all so different and beautifully designed. This was like nothing I have read before, and was so refreshing!
I can't wait to
Mai
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
If you are a fan of; fantasy; dragons; gods; heroes; and tragic back stories, then congratulations you have just stumbled upon your favorite Novella of all time.

In the grand scheme of things, I really enjoyed this novella, it was well-written (poetic even), and followed a great plot.

First of all, let’s talk about the plot. There’s A LOT of stuff going on in this novella, the world is simply magical and fresh. But I find it better to delve into this without knowing a lot about it, so I am only g
Catherine Walker
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This Fantasy short story involves many themes enjoyed by lovers of the genre: dragons, quests, a smattering of romance. It is sure to please readers of all walks and genders. The descriptive word choice is often so vivid you almost wish you could close your eyes and *see* the story instead of reading. It ended with a few loose strings, which may frustrate some, but I for one and hoping for more stories with these characters!

*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Jessica Bronder
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every fifteen years a Fire Scale comes, destroys, and kills. But there is great reward for the one that can kill a Fire Scale. Cody was born Cayla, the eldest daughter, but her father turned her into a boy at a young age. He has trained Cody to be a dragon killer. If she can kill the dragon then she can save her family. Her mother is a drunk and her sisters work in a brothel all hoping for her to save them all.

But she is not the only one out to kill the Fire Scale. Along her journey she meets se
Fanna
4.5/5

A Wild And Unremarkable Thing is the perfect mix of emotions, actions and a spellbound story.

This fantasy follows a young girl, named Cayda, who has forever been forced by her father to disguise herself as a boy, Cody. If that doesn't interest you already, I don't know what would? Fifteen years ago, when The Emerging—a day when the Fire Scale is killed and a Champion, the slaughterer, is rewarded—had bought Cody's town, Ithil, to ashes and left her family to the hellhole of poverty and un
Anna (RattleTheShelves)
Happy book birthday to AWAUT!

***I've received an ARC from the author in return for an honest review***

It's your typical a-parent-forces-a-girl-to-pretend-to-be-a-boy-to-slay-a-dragon sort of book.
Oh wait, so you haven't read anything like that before?
That's right, ladies and gents. Usually, we read about a girl dressing up as a boy to take part in so many great adventures. This story is different and it adds a whole new dimension of identity struggle to the plot that I believe will be extremely
Bethanye Winters
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could not put this book down. The strong female lead character is the driving force behind this powerful story. From beginning to end you will be routing for Cayda and her quest to achieve her destiny
LR Braden
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I would actually give this book 4.5 if Goodreads and Amazon allowed half marks.

It took me a while to get into the swing of the narrative. This was caused partly by the prologue, which didn't have any characters and thus left me adrift in description with no reason to care, and partly because the book was written in present tense. Present tense always takes me a minute to adjust to since most books seem to be written in past, but the main issue I had with it in this case was that the immediacy of
Abrianna Roth
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading A Wild and Unremarkable Thing was the perfect escape to an incredible adventure. The author had such detailed descriptions of the town and it’s characters I feel like I’ve traveled there myself, and honestly, I wish I could go back! It makes me want to keep reading it over and over again just to have that experience again.

I fell in love with Cody, the main character, immediately because of her drive and ambition. Being in her mind while she was pushed to her limits by her father was exhi
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! I honestly did not expect to love this book as much as I did. I went in with very few expectations, and I was hooked from the very beginning. I loved the characters and the poetic, fairytale like writing style. I was also pleasantly surprised by how funny it was! Very few books make me laugh out loud, but this one did. I also enjoyed the romantic side of A Wild and Unremarkable Thing (side note: that title is GORGEOUS).

The only reason that I’ve given the book four stars rather than five is
Giorgia
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
A wild and Unremarkable thing is a story rich in diversity and themes. The main character is a girl forced by her father to become a boy and through the book we see her struggles in trying to understand what she really is, she's divided between the need of forgetting her original identity and the want to exploreit more deeply.
all the characters are well developed although I expected more of a growth from some of them. in fact, in certain points their development felt a little rushed and sudden.
Jay Jays Book Nook
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story.... loved that it had several POV so you got different characters views... was not what I expected the story to be but really enjoyed it! Really enjoyed the writing style! And loved how everything came together!
Justicereads
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
For me A Wild and Unremarkable Thing was a exciting and fast fantasy read. A book about dragons or red scales, is a book that draws me in quickly. With Mulan feels and a Medieval Times setting in this novel, an adventure awaits you. Dragons/Fire Scales mixed with feminism and family bonds, there are a lot of great ingredients to this fantasy.

The mythology element of the death God added an extra finesse to the story. I loved Cody's character! She was very real and driven. This story is character-
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
One from a background of privilege, one poorest of the poor, two young people set out to make their fortunes slaying a Fire Scale.
Every fifteen years, the great flame-scaled dragons emerge for a brief time to mate and eat, before sealing themselves back into their lairs among the Summer Alps. During the last Emerging, Cayda’s home of Ithil, a city of scholars, was utterly destroyed. After that time, Cayda’s father dressed her as a male, calling her Cody, and training her to slay a Fire Scale. S
Heather
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
~*I was given this e-book from the author in exchange for an honest review*~

Wow what an enticing novella. I couldn't put it down once I was finally able to sit down and read it. I lost sleep over it. If you like to read anything that has to do with fantasy, dragons, and gods this is a must read for you! This story is told throughout multiple POVs but the majority is from the main character.

The main character of this story is a girl named Cayda that has to pretend to be a boy Cody to take care o
Kyera
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Wild and Unremarkable Thing had a very interesting premise that blended fantasy aspects like dragons, with Greek mythology and medieval lore. I love history and mythology, so this book immediately called to me. Unfortunately, it didn't entirely live up to my expectations for it although I did still enjoy my read. I believe that the biggest reason why it stumbled for me is how short the book is. At 238 pages, the author did not have enough time to adequately flesh out the plotline and character ...more
Kennedy Vega
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enchanting read filled with dazzling descriptions and a sumptuous plot! A Wild and Unremarkable Thing takes you on a thrilling ride that will leave you wanting more and is a must read for those who love Fantasy novels. :)
Papermochi
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have a new fictional hero and her name is Cody/Cayda. Strong, fierce, and independent. A true warrior girl in the disguise of a boy.
Even though Jen Castleberry’s Novella is only short it is still truly epic. With a rich fantastical narrative told from multiple points of view, the reader is treated to a wonderfully flowing story that doesn’t give you chance to breathe and at times has you on the edge of you seat. Dragons, Death gods, mythical beast and even a Lusty Prince as a side character (
Megan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was such a wonder to read and enjoy. This is the story of a woman who was forced to take on the disguise of a man in order to train to become a contestant to kill a Fire Scale (dragon) and save her family from becoming fully destitute.

Cody has worked hard over the last fifteen years to be ready for this quest though after her father is attacked by a Night Beast, the quest becomes even more important because without becoming champion
Sydney Paige
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC for this.

As a lover of dragons, I was really intrigued about this story. I loved the premise of this. It felt fresh and new.

Jen's voice is unique and the first chapter hooked me. Cody/Cayda's character longs to be free and be herself but her father's voice is in her head. Her character growth was well done. Her love for her family felt genuine.

(I would have loved to see one of her sister's perspectives, even if it was just a few chapters).

*mild spoilers*

I think Penn was one
Rachel
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fast moving story.....

This is a different view of the God of Death and how he can leave his life to become human again.
You also learn about Cody who is a girl forced to live her life as a boy. Her town that she lives in was destroyed when she was 4 years old. He father made her train to become the fastest and strongest boy to kill the beast that distroyed their way of life. Her sister we forced to work in brothels to help get money for them all to live off.
Cody is going to kill the beast
Michelle
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was able to ravish through the Kindle copy I received for this blog tour within two hours; average reading time is around six hours. The prologue sets the tone of the book perfectly; wonderful usages of adverbs and adjectives throughout kept this reader excited yet torn for what Cayda and Cody had to go through.

The time frame this was set likens to the Medieval times with shanty towns, knights in armor, and carriages transporting the royalty. The story-line follows not only Cody, but many cha
Neelam
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hauntedbybooks
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Fantasy is one of my favorite genres and this book had me at dragons and dragon slayers. What I really liked about A wild and Unremarkable Thing is the beautiful writing. I loved it despite there being mulitple point of views, which for me, are either wonderful or horrible. It worked for this book. Also its easy to lose yourself in this book. It was fast-paced, plenty of magic and of course some romance. If you enjoy any of that then this book would be a wonderful read for you!
LaRonda (Flying Paperbacks)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, ebooks
You can see my full review here!

So... my expectations are blown out of the water. While I was reading this, I had no idea what I was getting into. We have a story with interwoven themes such as LGBTQ characters, gender fluidity and identity themes as well as some adult themes. And there's dragons which is always a plus. It's a short book (a novella actually, again, didn't realize until the end) and I highly enjoyed it.

I received A Wild and Unremarkable Thing from Fantastic Flying Book Club for a
Ashton Brashars
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jen Castleberry has amazed me yet again! I've been a fan of her writing for a while and this little gem was just as impressive as I anticipated. I read this book in one night- I could not put it down! Her writing style reminds me a little of the youthful excitement of a summertime campfire and the fierce intensity of a first love. Perfect for the YA audience but can be captivating at any age!

I love the way the chapters were set up jumping back and forth between characters. The story opens with e
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jen Castleberry resides in Virginia Beach with her husband and pets. Her background is in Communications and Animal Welfare. All of her pets are named after superheroes!

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
“Small of stature, gentle of heart," he says. "You might write your own story, Cody. But men will write stories about you too.” 0 likes
“Can she smell him? Penn wonders, and thinks she is wild, though she's skinny and plain. A wild and unremarkable thing.” 0 likes