Start by marking “Enemies of the People” as Want to Read:
Enemies of the People

Enemies of the People

Something has gone wrong. We're living in an age of celebratory racism, extreme inequality, uncertainty and fear. We're governed by people who claim to be populist but who seem to hate everyone. There are idiots at the wheel and we're heading for a cliff in a big red bus and no one knows how to save us.

Enemies of The People reveals who has taken us to this dizzying precipi

Published June 1st 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Enemies of the People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemies of the People

Sarah Potter
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a first for me, getting political online. There are some books that you wish you’d read earlier rather than later, and Enemies of the People is one such book. Not that it was available prior to the Brexit vote, or the electing of a reality TV star as President of the US. It seems we’re victims of lies and manipulation; this book tells us who the culprits are, plus a great deal more.

Sam Jordison doesn’t pretend objectivity and, by his own admission, wrote it quickly and in anger. On the f

Jackie Law
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you happy with the way our current crop of politicians and their influencers are running the world? Do you believe Brexit will make Britain Great, that Trump is good for the USA? If so then this book may not be for you, unless you wish to gain a better understanding. It offers, in bite sized chunks, key facts about those who helped create the situation in which we find ourselves today.

Enemies of the People, by Sam Jordison, is divided into fifty short chapters dedicated to those who have wor
Braedie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a really fun read. It's quick. It's informative.

Jordison introduces us to a variety of characters in politics, economics and in history that have helped bring about the current shit show we have going on here on planet earth. From populist politicians/leaders from the left and right undermining democracy with their incompetence, to economic academics that helped propel the small state, free trade era that has ruined communities in every corner of the world- this bloke covers a lot of gro
Miss Ryoko
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book both utterly fascinating and completely disturbing. It's scary to see how much power one person with little to no reason can be given and how much impact they can have on others. It's also terrifying to see that other countries in the world are also experiencing this insane white supremacy that is happening in the US. It's really disgusting.

It was fascinating to read (but, once again, disturbing) how people who lived so long ago are still influencing people today with the horr
Elle Kay
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A hugely informative and entertaining look at some of the worlds most influential people and how their actions have shaped the current state of affairs today. There are some very witty paragraphs within and as long as you take it all with a grain of salt, you will come away more aware of the world around you and in disbelief that fortune really does favour the bold, even if they are truly deeply awful people. A great read.
Caroline
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Frustrating and at the same time, oddly cathartic to read this 2017 book in 2019... Definitely shared in the cynicism and dark humour dripping from these profiles. Whilst I felt that Chris Martin maybe should have escaped being in the same book as Donald Trump, I am definitely here for the notion that Mel Gibson is entirely responsible for the rise of Nationalism in Scotland and I propose we charge him with war crimes.
Denis Dennehy
Quick read on so many famous characters.
However he is very negative on all of them.
I wonder if he has a book on “Friends of the people”!!
I’d like to see who he’d include.
Maria Ní Fhlatharta
An angry rant of a book - but a well argued entertaining rant of a book.
Ray Else
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A frightening look at how poorly we've been served by certain of our world leaders. A warning alarm.
Devon Black