Start by marking “Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots: A History of Insanity in Nineteenth-Century Britain and Ireland” as Want to Read:

n the first half of the nineteenth-century treatment of the mentally ill in Britain and Ireland underwent radical change. No longer manacled, chained and treated like wild animals, patient care was defined in law and medical understanding, and treatment of insanity developed.

Focussing on selected cases, this new study enables the reader to understand how progressively
Published April 30th 2017 by Pen and Sword History

To ask other readers questions about Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots

Start your review of Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots: A History of Insanity in Nineteenth-Century Britain and Ireland
Gill
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

'Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots' by Dr John Burt and Kathryn Burtinshaw

3 stars/ 6 out of 10

I was interested in reading this book, since I have done some research relating to a local asylum, pertaining to conditions there during the mid 19th century.

I thought that the authors made very good use of primary sources and of case studies. It would be interesting to know whether conditions in asylums were as good in reality as some of the official source materials suggest that they were.

There was a
Michelle
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots” is a comprehensive and fascinating account of historic asylum health care originating in the U.K. that includes England and the British Isles, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Authored by award winning historians and registered professional genealogists, Dr. John Bert is retired and based in Edinberg. Kathryn Burtinshaw is the owner of Pinpoint Ancestry in North Wales and received advanced training in Local History at Oxford University.

The Bethlehem Royal Hospital in
Anne
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always had an interest in mental illness, and the way in which it is perceived and has been treated over the years. I grew up in a small village in North Nottinghamshire which was overshadowed by the dark and gloomy buildings that make up Rampton Hospital. Now a ground-breaking institution in the field of mental health treatment, it was once known locally as 'the asylum'. Members of my family worked there, lots of our neighbours worked there, and eventually, when I was in my early twenties, ...more
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Kathryn Burtinshaw and Dr. John Burt have put a tremendous amount of research, time and heart into an incredibly difficult and complex piece.

I felt compelled to review this due to my family’s personal connection to the issue. Decades ago when the turmoil between Protestants and Catholics was much worse, and Catholics had little to no power, just being a Catholic was often considered enough of a crime to warrant punishment. I had a great grandfather beaten over the head and committed to an
Olga Miret
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for researchers of the topic and anybody curious about the history of psychiatry and psychiatric treatment in the UK in the XIXc Thanks to Pen & Sword for gifting me a copy of this book that I freely chose to review.
I have read and reviewed several books by Pen & Sword and have commented on their great catalogue before. As you know, I’m a psychiatrist and could not resist it when I saw this book.
The authors, who are well-known for writing about genealogy, note in their
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots" offered some interesting insights into the workings of Great Britain's asylums in the 19th century.

The first couple of chapters which focused on when which asylum was built was rather slow and not very interesting, but the later chapters which focused on the actual workings of the asylums was much more interesting.
Viktória Larišová
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, the more you know... As on-and-off academic, though, I really admire all the research needed. Informative, clever and without pop agenda and bias.
Aunt Meanie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots A History of Insanity in the 19th Century Britan and Ireland
By: Kathryn M. Burtinshaw and John R.F. Burt

This book gives very detailed information concerning the formation of various types of facilities in which insane persons could be housed, from workhouses, gaols [jails], “mad” houses, asylums, and the best of them being called “retreats'.

The book can also be a valuable resource for genealogists searching for an ancestor who “disappeared” from the family tree
Nannette
by Dr John Burt, Kathryn Burtinshaw
Pen & Sword
Pub Date 30 Apr 2017
Courtesy of Netgalley

Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots A History of Insanity in Nineteenth-Century Britain and Ireland by Dr John Burt and Kathryn Burtinshaw was a challenging read but a very fascinating one. The authors detail how the mentally ill were cared for before the nineteenth century. They also delve into legislation that was
Kristine
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Lunatics, Imbeciles, and Idiots by Dr John Burt & Kathryn Burtinshaw is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early April.

Burt & Burtinshaw offer short 6-8 page chapters on 19th century mental health treatment (known at the time as 'curative shelters'), stigmas against the assumption of insanity, staff and patient records, information about asylums past and present in the UK, proponents of asylum acts/laws (such as Dorothea Dix and Jonathan Swift),
Dale Dewitt
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly enlightening account of the development of mental health care in the UK in the nineteenth century. Through actual accounts of treatment methods and also focusing on those who sought to improve the conditions the reader is able to get a sense of what asylums' were like. One of the most interesting aspects I felt was the disparity in conditions between those who could afford care and those who could not. This lack of quality mental health care for some while providing a nurturing ...more
Lauren Walsburg
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lunatics, Imbeciles and Idiots is an incredibly interesting read. It discusses our horrifying history of the treatment of people with mental health disorders and other disorders often categorised as insanity. The book draws attention to the mistreated, misdiagnosed, and misinformed
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is for anyone interested in social history. The authors take the reader through the history of the treatment of those with mental illness during the Nineteenth century. The book opens with information about how to trace ancestors who may have been in an asylum. Chapters 2 – 9 talk about the development of asylums and the legal treatment of patients. Each chapter focuses on a different region of Britain and Ireland. Chapters 10 – 20 go on to give information about staff and how they ...more
Emma Dargue
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
General history and overview of the care of people who had mental health illnesses in the 19th century. I felt that this book although informative and interesting in the main there were periods where it dragged and I lost interest in this book. The case studies were for me the most interesting part as it gave an overview of if treatment was successful or not. A good book if your interested in this particular subject.
Nicola Cassidy
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Insightful and well researched

I really enjoyed this account of 19th century asylums in the UK and Ireland. It had lots of details I’d never heard of before. As a fiction author I will use some of what I learned in this book in my writing.
Tina Leibel
Some interesting information re treatments of mental illness in 1700-1900’s I did enjoy some of the case files and reasoning of why certain treatments were used I did however find the book went into too much detail for me on the building of each asylum etc.
Sarah Bradbury
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting explanation of the history of mental health.

I found this book fascinating as it explains many aspects of mental health including institutions, mental health diagnosis and treatments, and the (sometimes quite dramatic) changes of these over the centuries.
Darlene Halsey
Dec 10, 2018
Amy McMullen
Sep 20, 2017
Geoff Keats
Mar 24, 2019
GothicGourdGirl
rated it did not like it
Oct 28, 2017
Jun 01, 2017
John D'Archambaud
Nov 27, 2019
Rose
A very dry but extensively detailed resource for anyone interested in the development of treatment for the mentally disabled during the Nineteenth Century in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The author, John Burt, provides documented sources of personal histories, newspaper stories, journals and correspondence to add meat to his lengthy piece of research into the chronological buildup and progression of Asylums and Homes for those in dire need of better housing, empathy and treatment. Full ...more
Julie Muirhead
Oct 08, 2017
Justine
Nov 13, 2017
Melanie James
Nov 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Unnatural Causes
  • The Royal Art of Poison: Filthy Palaces, Fatal Cosmetics, Deadly Medicine, and Murder Most Foul
  • The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist
  • The Garden of Lost and Found
  • The Ghost Tree
  • Bone China
  • The Girl at the Window
  • Prisoner of the Samurai: Surviving the Sinking of the USS Houston and the Death Railway
  • Pirates: The Golden Age of Piracy: A History From Beginning to End (Buccaneer, Blackbeard, Grace o Malley, Henry Morgan)
  • Mistletoe
  • Ban This Filth!: Letters From the Mary Whitehouse Archive
  • Rules for a Successful Book Club (The Book Lovers, #2)
  • The Night She Died
  • On the Night of the Seventh Moon
  • The Dead Ex
  • The Orchid House
  • 365 More Things People Believe That Aren't True
  • Life in the Victorian Asylum: The World of Nineteenth Century Mental Health Care