Start by marking “Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen, #22)” as Want to Read:
Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen, #22)

Raspberry Danish Murder

(Hannah Swensen #22)

Thanksgiving has a way of thawing the frostiest hearts in Lake Eden. But that won’t be happening for newlywed Hannah Swensen Barton—not after her husband suddenly disappears . . .

Hannah has felt as bitter as November in Minnesota since Ross vanished without a trace and left their marriage in limbo. Still, she throws herself into a baking frenzy for the sake of pumpkin p
Published February 27th 2018 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Raspberry Danish Murder, please sign up.
Alaine I have to agree as well. It seems as if Hannah has regressed into a teenage girl. When Mike waited in Hannah's apartment while she showered then her M…moreI have to agree as well. It seems as if Hannah has regressed into a teenage girl. When Mike waited in Hannah's apartment while she showered then her Mother called. Hannah's reaction was adolescent at best. She can't even be adult enough to tell her Mother, "look, there is nothing going on with Mike, period." The conversational dialogue has become forced and wooden too. And I just can't read "Hannah has gone to question a Murder Suspect ALONE. AGAIN. For the record, I am, was and always will be Team Norman, NOT Ross the Usurper!(less)
Nicole Radcliffe I think Joanne Fluke realizes that she made a huge mistake in marrying off Hannah to Ross and is trying to find a way to correct it. I haven`t enjoyed…moreI think Joanne Fluke realizes that she made a huge mistake in marrying off Hannah to Ross and is trying to find a way to correct it. I haven`t enjoyed the series since she hooked up with Ross and also have been waiting for him to exit the scene one way or another.(less)

Start your review of Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen, #22)
Kim
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Raspberry Danish Murder was better than the previous Hannah Swenson book but still seems very odd compared to the rest of the series.

Is there a ghostwriter writing these books now? It seems every character name is overused. I don't remember early in the series Hannah constantly addresssing her sisters or Norman by name in every statement during a conversation like this:

"If we stop to eat we can have a break Hannah"
"That sounds good Michelle"
"I thought so too Hannah" etc. Very stiff and formal d
James
A little over a year ago, I joined NetGalley and Raspberry Danish Murder, the 22nd book in the Hannah Swensen cozy mystery series by Joanne Fluke, was one of the first books I requested. It had just been published, but I was ten books behind in the series. Throughout the last year, I finally caught up and read this one. From what I'd read, given the strange arc the books took a little while ago, it wasn't going to be good. Forgetting the love/romance change, the mystery itself in this book was v ...more
Laurie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
I cannot even with these books any more. They have gotten progressively worse with each one. This book was literally 90% people eating or talking about what they're going to eat, or what they just ate, or how to cook the recipe that appears on the next page. Throw in boringly long pages about random things like how to recycle and scammer phone messages. There was hardly anything about the murder of the week or the investigation into Ross's disappearance, and what did happen, happened off-screen ...more
Juli
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hannah Swensen is still reeling from the disappearance of her new husband, Ross Barton. He disappeared without a trace, leaving no explanation. When Ross' former assistant at KCOW-TV, P.K. Alesworth, is killed after eating poisoned candy that was left on Ross' desk, Lake Eden police start to investigate to find out if Ross might have been the intended victim, Hannah and her crew, of course, decide to also investigate. Turns out, there are a lot of discrepancies in the things Ross told Hannah abo ...more
Hannah
Rather interesting characters, but elementary and lackluster writing. In some places the writing is so bad as to be the sort found in chapter books—
"We have a custard for dessert."
"Did you hear they have a custard for dessert?"
"I think I will order the custard for dessert."
(To other character at table)
"Did you know they have a custard for dessert?"
Waitress: "We have an almond custard for dessert."
"An almond custard. How unique."
"A very smooth custard."
"A smooth, almond custard. Yes. I will take
Yolanda
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
My favorite line of this book was:
"And a school yearbook usually contains some student photos."

I've never seen a school yearbook that didn't contain student photos.
Barbara
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bayb-2018

In this 22nd book in the 'Hannah Swensen' series, Hannah investigates the death of a television station employee. The book can be read as a standalone, but familiarity with the characters is a bonus.

Warning: If you haven't kept up with the series this review will contain a minor spoiler.

*****

Hannah Swenson, owner of 'The Cookie Jar' confectionary in Lake Eden, Minnesota, is a talented baker and experienced amateur detective. As the story opens, Hannah's new husband, Ross Barton, has disappeare
Piepie
Say what you will about these books, but the cliffhanger endings are what saves them. Somehow I have got to know how this Hannah-Mike-Norman-Ross love "square" ends!!

I read most of this all in one morning, and... as usual ...there were things that bugged me. Right out of the gate (p. 3), Michelle says, "They were sitting right on top of my warmest winter scarf." Who says things like that? What is she, twelve?? Some of the language in these books seems stinted and mechanical -- like no one talks
Anne
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
This series jumped the shark awhile back and I just haven't been able to cut the cord though I was seriously going to stop after the last book and the surprise ending. However, curiosity got the best of me. Raspberry begins where #21 left off, but any active investigation by Hannah doesn't really begin until about the half way mark...way too late for a mystery. Prior (and after) we get WAY too much cookie and food talk. Take that away and the book would be a good 60% shorter.

Hannah has completel
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
I have been such a fan of the Hannah Swensen Mysteries. They’re good, clean, entertaining fun. Well, you know, with murder. But I have to say, I’ve not been overly thrilled with the last few books in the series. As with a good percentage of Hannah fans, I do not like her husband, Ross. I cheered when he disappeared. So, the fact that this book would maybe be Ross free made me excited to read it. But for reasons other than Ross, RASPBERRY DANISH MURDER was not the best book in this series.

The co
Mary  (Biblophile)
A sad attempt to revive a dying series. This particular book seemed like a juvenile wrote it. Very little mystery as most of the book was taken up with recipes and food talk. The rest was Hannah obsessing about what was wrong with her that her new husband left and hasn't come back. I hope the author either gets this series back on track or puts it to bed.
Sarah E.
Mar 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
I'm sad to say that this is the last Hannah Swensen book I will be reading. I've made it to 22 and that is an accomplishment, right? I feel like 80% of the book is food now. I love food, don't get me wrong, but there is little plot other than that. In the first book, there was only 7 recipes and this one has 29 recipes, if that tells you anything. The most interesting part to me in this installment was Moishe. I love Moishe.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
(view spoiler)
Melodie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult review to write as I have read all of The Hannah Swensen Mysteries and, for the most part, enjoyed most of them. The last book was an exception to that and sadly, this book isn’t much better. The series is feeling increasingly stale and this book is one of the weakest. I honestly believe that Ms Fluke might better serve Hannah and her readers if she took an extra year off between books, recharged her batteries and wrote the next book with renewed vigor.

While the murder myste
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, mystery
Hannah is trying to deal with her new husband, Ross, having vanished while still getting her cookie shop ready for Thanksgiving. Then P.K., Ross’s assistant at the station, dies in a car accident. The police quickly determine that P.K. crashed because of poisoned candies he ate that were sent to the station. Was he the intended target? Or was Ross? Who sent the poisoned candies? Is this why Ross disappeared?

As you can see, there is plenty here for a good mystery. Instead, we get an average myste
Kevin
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
3 ½ stars
This is the coziest of mystery series. If you are ok with that you will love the series. I’d say about 15-20% of this book is about trying to solve the crime and the overall series mystery about the location of Hannah’s husband Ross. The other 80-85 % of the book is about the characters all of whom I love, drink coffee, eat cookies, go out to dinner, bake, have dinner parties and play with the cats. Which I find charming and entertaining just not very exciting just know that going into
Amy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've read every book in this series and the last few have been declining. This one is a disappointment, though the conclusion gives me some hope. It seems like the book was "padded" with so much extra dialogue, i.e. addressing each character by his/her first name even if they were the only one in the room. It was also so unrealistic that Hannah, Norman, and Michelle were given such free reign to investigate. I know this is a cozy, but this was beyond ridiculous. Mike and Lonnie barely played a r ...more
Dianne
I have to say that the mystery part of this book was pretty good.

*SPOILER*

Hannah's husband goes missing, leaving her a car and tons of bank accounts and actual cash--->

If your husband went missing after only 2 or 3 weeks of marriage, wouldn't you be concerned? Wouldn't you take some time off of work and if you were in the habit of snooping and solving crimes wouldn't you hunt your beloved, down?

Nope, not Hannah -she keeps the Cookie Jar going with her umpteenth 'new creation' (which sounds just
Darinda
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Hannah's husband Ross is missing. She's worried about him, so she throws herself into her work. Ross's coworker P.K. is filling in for Ross, using his office and driving his car. When P.K. dies mysteriously, Hannah looks into his death to determine if it was related to Ross's disappearance. Along the way, Hannah learns some new things about her husband.

The 22nd book in the Hannah Swensen series. These cozy mysteries are light and entertaining. A fast read that's good for fans of cozies. Plus, r
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
This was one of my favorite Hannah Swenson books!❤️
Schennagins+Mystery+cats= a fun and captivating read
I couldn’t wait to see what happens next. It kept me up at night.
Penny Watson
I FINALLY WON A GOODREADS GIVE-AWAY! Woooooo hooooooo!

Should be getting this book soon.

**********

Ugh. This was so boring. I made it to pg. 88 and I couldn't read anymore.

Too much baking and coffee and not enough plot or story.

I love recipes in my culinary mysteries, but this was excessive.

I also wasn't impressed with the writing.

Oh well. My first GR giveaway win was a big bust.

Grade: DNF
J.H. Moncrieff
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it

I still love this series, because it's been my brain candy for so long, but this book was truly bizarre. Most of it was inane chitchat about who was getting who coffee, what was for dinner that night, and whether or not Hannah should plug in her "cookie truck." Why did we need several detailed descriptions of outdoor outlets in this book? And I understand info dumps, but why did Fluke include them for things like dental implants and world-record sprinters, neither of which had anything
Nessa
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried very hard to like this book. So many recipes, so many cookies, I know that is her schtick, but it was overkill for me. The only thing that kept my interest was the mystery about where her new husband went. Maybe I will give the next one another chance.
mindful.librarian ☀️
I have read every single book in this series! I definitely liked this one more than the last one given that I HATED Ross.......all I want is for the Norman and Mike and Hannah triangle to last forever ;-)
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
3.5/5.....NOT MY IDEA OF A GOODS ENDING, THOUGH. So disappointed & frustrated that the next book will be a retrospective story. ...more
Silvia Kay
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I was very excited to read Raspberry Danish Murder (largely because of the title, not going to lie), but, ultimately, I couldn't plow through it and ended up abandoning it. You may be wondering: what could make a COZY MYSTERY so hard to read? After all, this genre is renowned for being very accessible, and how could a book with the words 'raspberry' and 'Danish' in the title be anything but?

Well, first and foremost, the author unleashes a positive BARRAGE of names on the reader. By the time I go
Lisa Morin
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Raspberry Danish Murder has brought back the Hannah we've all come to love.
Still trying to come to terms with the disappearance of her husband Ross, Hannah leaves no stone unturned as she continues to search for answers.
With the sudden death of her husband's assistant, Hannah has the feeling that something just isn't right.

Of course Hannah has the help of her best friends Mike and Norman, and her sister Michelle is back as well.

It was nice having Hannah back as her usual self even though she was
Kelly
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
**I voluntarily read this ARC**

Well, it's an improvement over Banana Cream Pie Murder. The writing style is still very confusing. It started out with a juvenile style, then randomly switched to describing the death in detail, and went right back to juvenile. I'm still not sure who the target audience is at this point. Ignoring the weird writing, the mystery was pretty good. I am a little annoyed that it ended on another cliffhanger (but wow, that was a shocking one). Since cliffhangers were neve
Glen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies, mystery
It's Thanksgiving, and Hannah's husband has gone missing. A good beginning, I thought. Hannah is trying to cover her grief by working. Of course, super cop Mike is no help. Then Ross's assistant is murdered, while driving Ross's car. Hannah starts to investigate. She finds things out about Ross she wishes she didn't, and of course, solves the mystery.

Was this part of the plan all along? Marriage, abandonment, then back to status quo ante?
Tari
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The ending was just what I was hoping for! I'm trying not to give anything away but even the book descriptions of these last few books in this series are sort of spoiler-like if all a person has read has been the first books. I had only read books in the beginning but I knew what was coming and I was just curious to find out! So I didn't mind knowing. Now I can go back and read the rest of the series.

If you have not read any later books in this series (from about 18
QNPoohBear
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The extra star is for all the yummy recipes!

Hannah is depressed after her husband Ross disappears. She fears she did something to drive him away. Michelle tries to cheer Hannah by visiting and doing lots of baking together. The Swenson sisters are eager to see the publicity videos their friend P.K. made for Michelle's play. When P.K. calls while driving the absent Ross's car, P.K. sounds drunk! He reveals he ate some candies he found on Ross's desk and they must have been drugged. What happens n

• Plum Tea Crazy (A Tea Shop Mystery, #19)
  • Silver Anniversary Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • Shot in the Dark (Coffeehouse Mystery, #17)
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Hide and Sneak (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #23)
  • Murder by the Book (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #1)
  • Turkey Trot Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #24)
  • Invitation Only Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #26)
  • Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Death by Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake (A Death by Chocolate Mystery #1)
  • Yule Log Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #25.5)
  • Death of a Cookbook Author (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #10)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #11)
  • Lethal Licorice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)

News & Interviews

“IRISH POTATO COOKIES This dough must chill before baking. 1 and ½ cups white (granulated) sugar 1 cup salted butter (½ pound, 2 sticks), softened to room temperature 3 large eggs 2 teaspoons cream of tartar 1 teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour (pack it down in the cup when you measure it) 3 cups instant mashed potato flakes (I used Hungry Jack Original) 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (measure AFTER chopping) ½ cup powdered (confectioners’) sugar in a bowl for later Place the white (granulated) sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Hannah’s 1st Note: This recipe is a lot easier to make if you use an electric mixer. You can do it by hand, but it will take much longer. Add the softened butter and mix until the two ingredients are well combined and the mixture is light in color and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, beating after each addition. Add the cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Mix until everything is well combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix it in. Measure out the all-purpose flour in a separate bowl. Mix it into the sugar, butter, and egg mixture in half-cup increments at LOW speed, mixing well after each addition. Add the instant mashed potato flakes in half-cup increments, mixing well after each addition. Beat until everything is well incorporated. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Beat for at least a minute on MEDIUM speed until everything is thoroughly combined. Hannah’s 2nd Note: At this point, you can add several drops of green food coloring if you are making these cookies for St. Patrick’s Day. Try to achieve a nice pale green. Scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl and give your Irish Potato Cookie dough a final stir with a wooden spoon by hand. Prepare your cookie sheets by spraying them with Pam or another nonstick cooking spray, or covering them with parchment paper. Scoop out a small amount of cookie dough with a spoon from your silverware drawer and try to form a dough ball with your impeccably clean hands. If this is too difficult because the dough is too soft, cover your bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes to an hour. (Overnight is fine too, but then don’t forget to shut off the oven!) When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., rack in the center position. While your oven is preheating, place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. You will use it to coat the cookie dough balls you will form. Form balls of cookie dough 1 inch in diameter with your impeccably clean hands. Roll the dough balls in the bowl of powdered sugar, one at a time, and place them on the cookie sheets, 12 dough balls to a standard-sized sheet. Flatten the dough balls a bit with a metal spatula or the heel of your impeccably clean hand. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes, or until your cookies are golden around the edges. Take your cookies out of the oven and cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then remove them to a wire rack. If you’ve covered your cookie sheets with parchment paper, all you have to do is grasp the edges of the paper and pull them, cookies and all, onto the wire rack. Yield: Approximately 8 dozen tender and delicious cookies, depending on cookie size” 0 likes