Start by marking “All-American Muslim Girl” as Want to Read:
All-American Muslim Girl

All-American Muslim Girl

Allie Abraham has it all going for her—she's a straight-A student, with good friends and a close-knit family, and she's dating cute, popular, and sweet Wells Henderson. One problem: Wells's father is Jack Henderson, America's most famous conservative shock jock...and Allie hasn't told Wells that her family is Muslim. It's not like Allie's religion is a secret, exactly. It' ...more
Published November 12th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about All-American Muslim Girl, please sign up.
Nadine Courtney Yes, it's a fiction book for young adults! The suggested age range is 12-17 (although I'm thrilled that adults have enjoyed it, too).…moreYes, it's a fiction book for young adults! The suggested age range is 12-17 (although I'm thrilled that adults have enjoyed it, too).(less)
Hera yeah a pretty major plotline is allie's relationship with wells, but it doesn't go beyond kissing…moreyeah a pretty major plotline is allie's relationship with wells, but it doesn't go beyond kissing(less)

Start your review of All-American Muslim Girl
megs_bookrack
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

Allie Abraham is a regular American teenager. Living with her loving parents, she excels in school and participates in extracurricular activities.

A real girl next door.

The thing is, Allie is keeping a secret. Her family is Muslim and she's not sharing that fact with anyone.

All-American Muslim Girl opens with a blatant display of discrimination against her father while on an airplane.

Allie tries her best to diffuse the situation, but it was cringe-worthy to read. Especia
♛ may
oh my god, i genuinely want to write a thorough, detailed review stating all my reasons why i thought this book honestly did more harm than good but i feel like launching myself into the sun would be an easier task 🤗

in essence, this book sounds amazing.

it's about allie, an american girl who grew up muslim by name and has no idea about the actual faith. this book spans over the course of her journey as she begins to learn more about her faith and the challenges and struggles that come with it

wo
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book was truly SO good. I didn't really know what to expect going in but I came out of this with so much more knowledge than I went in with and even though it was extremely informative, it still managed to be a really entertaining read and I just enjoyed this one so much. Definitely consider adding this one to your TBRs! ...more
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
May 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
I don't know how to review or rate this book. I want to rate it a solid 3 stars, but at the same time there were some glaring issues with the Muslim representation that annoyed me.

This book does seem to be based on Nadine's own life, so I obviously don't want to invalidate her experiences, and I'm sure this book will be relatable for some Muslims. But at the same time, I think this book has some misinformation when it comes to Islam that has me hesitant to recommend it to non-Muslims.

I will admi
Ausma Khan
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this book and it is simply superb. It follows the story and personal growth of Allie as she comes to terms with her Muslim identity and with how it differs from her parents' journey. I won't get into plot description in any detail, but will just say that the voice is perfect and stunningly authentic, and that Allie's courage and integrity is such a beautiful thing to witness in a young protagonist like this.

This book could also not be more timely, as i
Maha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: muslim-shelf
I WANT TO HUG THIS BOOK AND CRY.
Rushda
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won't lie, I mainly picked up this book because the cover was so pretty. When I started reading and Allie, the main character, turned out to be non-practicing, I thought "oh, here we go again" because Muslim YA readers are all too familiar with this. "My family is Muslim but I'm not", or "I wish my religion wasn't so oppressive so I could date this white boy"...I was ready to be let down again.

But Nadine Jolie Courtney said not today and wrote one of the most moving Muslim YA books I have ever
julianna ➹
Okay, I feel kind of weird about this book. Like, I was so incredibly excited for this book. But the synopsis was kind of... misleading? I mean, I totally thought that our main character was going to be a different person than she was. I mean, she literally moves to a new town in the first book. And most of her friends really aren't that great. I was kind of surprised because I was expecting something totally different, so just a disclaimer: the synopsis doesn't sound totally accurate.

Also, I'd
London Shah
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this story, and wow <3

I love every bit of it. Sweet and brave 16-yr-old Muslim Allie's tale is an utterly fascinating one, and her sheer determination and integrity will absolutely win your hearts. It's just the most perfect portrayal of identity and growing up. Allie, a non-practising Muslim girl, explores her identity and realises her growing desire to practice her faith, leaving readers feeling Allie's story is our story—anyone who's ever grappled with their beliefs, t
↠Ameerah↞
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
A problematic mess.
ikram
Read full review on my blog here!

e-ARC provided by Edelweiss+ in exchange for a honest review.

TRIGGER WARNING:
- Islamophobic
- Hate crimes / speeches
- Racism
- Mentions of terrorism
- Mentions of violence (gunshot)

Have you ever felt embarrassed because of a book? Not in a negative way, I mean, you’re embarrassed because the main character is everything you wish yourself to be? That’s what I felt with All-American Muslim Girl.

Growing up as Muslim, I understand how it feels to be one and I was sh
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning(s): Islamophobia, racism, discrimination, grief, harassment, and panic attacks.

Reading Challenge(s): Book 4 for the #Pondathon. Book 4 for #StartOnYourShelfathon. Monthly pick for The Reading Clowns book club.

Rep: Allie is a Jordanian-Circassian White Muslim. Wells has anxiety. Allie’s mother converted to Islam before marriage. Samira is a Malaysian Muslim. Fatima is Black, she converted to Islam at a young age. Shamsah
pdbkwm
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
(Sorry for the long review)

I have conflicting feelings about this.

On one hand, I like that All-American Muslim Girl is about a teen girl discovering her faith and the more she learns about Islam the more she loves it. While there have been Muslim fiction books around for years, a lot of them were about a Muslim girl breaking away from her barbaric and misogynistic culture so she could fall into the arms of a white guy.

So seeing the opposite happen, where a girl who grows up in an irreligious fa
Dahlia
Oct 15, 2019 added it
I tremendously appreciated this book as a member of a marginalized religion where scholarship of its laws is continuously and regularly debated. It was so nuanced and thoughtful and *interesting*, and it really was wild how familiar it felt even though so much of the actual information was new to me. This would be great to check out for anyone who’s interested in Islam or religion in general and/or a look at the other side of “passing.”
h i n d
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I might not agree with everything, but before I get into that -
The readers will fall into the following categories, and each one will have a different experience with the book and be affected in a different way.

1) For the people who "are caught between two worlds" : will identify to the main character and her struggles. This book will hopefully be the final nudge of encouragement for them to set on the journey to discover their culture/religion no matter what stands in their way.

Allie (Alia)
May 舞
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never
This is not a review. I have not read this book and I don't intend to do that, like, ever. This is just me trying to understand why and how people end up loving novels that celebrate Islam and probably tell a bunch of lies about it to make it seem more progressive.

The message about Islamophobia and racism is great and I wholly support it but I don't see how devout Muslims can ever fit into Western Society, or into any society that treats peoples of other faiths, women, and minorities like human
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-releases
*4.5 stars*

I really really really enjoyed this!
Sammira (blissfulreveries)
All I can really say at the moment is that I am so so grateful and thankful that this book exists and is coming out into the world soon. This book was all about validation and acceptance, like a friend pulling you in for a warm hug saying that everything’s going to be okay. You’re okay and you’re valid just the way you are. Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book in exchange for my thoughts. Full review to come ♡
Shehzeen Muzaffar
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I dont love it exactly but i also dont hate it. Its complicated. But i think it has a lot to do with my experience as a muslim living in a muslim country and a muslim living in america.

Even though it was a good read but i also disagree with A LOT OF THINGS! I just ughhhhhh
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 22, 2019 is currently reading it
Okay. The blurb intrigued me and the reviews are sooo good! Buying and starting ASAP!
Kate Olson
Hands-down one of the most beautiful and important books I read in 2019.
Kelly
An excellent read about a muslim girl coming to understand her faith and how to speak up and out about it. She's white -- she's Muslim via the Caucus region -- and the book dismantles white privilege and how it is so easily tied into religion. A sweet and complicated romance to boot. ...more
M.  [storme reads a lot]
So, I chose this book just because of the title. This book touches on important topics, and I enjoyed it highly. I thought it was interesting to learn about a group of Muslim people I wasn’t aware of, and the topics covered were very poignant. Allie deals with a lot of struggles, and I admire her tenacity to explore her faith and to grow as a Muslim and person overall. Of course I can’t even fathom the tough issues she’s faced since I’m not Muslim, I do resonate with the feeling of wanting to co ...more
Silanur
Read this as a sensitivity read. :)
Adiba Jaigirdar
All-American Muslim Girl is one of my favourite books of 2019, and I feel so lucky that I got the chance to read an early copy.

This novel is about a lot of things but ultimately it's about what it means to be young and Muslim in this day and age, because that unfortunately comes with a lot of baggage. Allie comes from a family who are not exactly practising Muslims, though they often still have to deal with all the stigmas and negative stereotypes that come with being Muslim in America. Allie i
Jerramy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this out of curiosity and was blown away by its brilliance. I expected the usual chick lit mixed with high school hijinks, but instead I found a modern-day Romeo & Juliet story with compelling characters, true romance and an important message – especially for young people coming of age in Trump’s America. The author handles heavy topics (like xenophobia, religious stereotypes, and fact-free news) with the lightest touch. It was an absolute pleasure to read and should be require ...more
Rameela (Star)
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Initial Thoughts: 😭😭😭😭😭

full review with mini interview on my blog (starisallbookedup.wordpress.com)

If you love reading Muslim stories (DUH!), standing up to racism and hatred and ignorance, fighting for what you believe in, trying to fit in, really yummy food, friendships, and drama you would love this book! I would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn about Muslims and see a relatable yet unique perspective about struggling with faith. I think those that liked A Very Large Expanse of Sea
Basma
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
I went into this book with high hopes. The reviews seemed decent, and with a title like "All-American Muslim Girl", I was eager to read this book and see myself. Because I'm Muslim and I guess you can say I'm All-American. I mean, my high school's colors were red, white, and blue, and our spirit days looked like the Fourth of July. So yeah, I felt like this book would be the perfect representation of me. I was wrong.

Fair warning, this entire review has spoilers.

I almost DNF'd (did not finish) a
Sunshine
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
nerd culture is mainstream now. [jo]
I’ll be the first to admit I am not the target audience for this book. I am a politically conservative, fundamental Christian. However, despite my differences with the intended demographic, I really connected with the story and was rooting for Allie to find her way and be able to navigate her relationships after becoming a practicing Muslim. The enjoyability of the story is why I gave the book a second star.
The reason I only gave the rest of the book one star is that I’m not a feminist. I agree

• Angel Mage
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Ten Things My Cat Hates About You
  • Unfollow: A Journey from Hatred to Hope
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • I Wish You All the Best (I Wish You All the Best, #1)
  • To Love and Let Go
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • A Thousand Fires
  • The Deep
  • Mooncakes
  • After Zero
  • Dewdrop
  • Screen Queens
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions, #1)
Nadine Jolie Courtney is the author of ALL-AMERICAN MUSLIM GIRL (FSG/2019). She is also author of ROMANCING THE THRONE, and—under her maiden name Nadine Haobsh—BEAUTY CONFIDENTIAL and CONFESSIONS OF A BEAUTY ADDICT.

Nadine is a Circassian-American, a Muslim, and a believer that compassion and education can make the world a better place.

Nadine graduated from Barnard College and was formerly a beauty

News & Interviews

“I'm still a Muslim. And I'm still good.” 2 likes
“It might be awkward and difficult at first, but if you're willing to take the risk, the rewards are beyond your wildest dreams” 0 likes