Start by marking “The Story Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Story Keeper

The Story Keeper

From the author of THE UNSEEING comes a sizzling, period novel of folk tales, disappearances and injustice set on the Isle of Skye, sure to appeal to readers of Hannah Kent's BURIAL RITES or Beth Underdown's THE WITCH FINDER'S SISTER.

'A wonderful combination of a thrilling mystery and a perfectly depicted period piece' Sunday Mirror

Audrey Hart is on the Isle of Skye to col
Published July 26th 2018 by Tinder Press

Miriam Smith
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbc, kept-book
Firstly I have to say just how much I was taken with the beautiful cover of "The Story Keeper", it gave me chills just thinking what mystery and intrigue could lie beneath it and couldn't wait to start reading.
"The Story Keeper" is billed as a 'sizzling, period novel of folk tales, disappearances and injustice set on the Isle of Skye' and it was exactly that. I was amazed at how the atmospheric setting and creepy, intriguing start to the story drew me in so fast and from then on in the pages tur
Magdalena
"The Story Keeper" is beautifully written, engaging, atmospheric and haunting. Just pure joy to read. I started reading and didn't put it down till I finished. I absolutely loved it!
Anna Mazzola wrote a stunning and unique novel. Set on and around the Isle of Skye, "The Story Keeper" is steeped in folklore, superstition, dark and brooding landscape and flawed human nature. Loss and deep grief, madness, abuse and social unfairness. Mazzola took all those ingredients and wove a beautiful and entic
sue
I’ve had this book sat on my bedside for a little while. It was sent to me from the publishers one day as a surprise.
I may not have chosen to read this if I hadn’t been sent it and then I wouldn’t have experienced such a wonderfully written piece of work.
Just goes to show, sometimes we need to explore books more.
Well, I do, certainly

Now that it’s near the release date I read it.
It’s based historically around Scotland, Skye. Which I remember going often when growing up around Scotland on famil
Berit☀️✨
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2019-ng, blog-tour
A spellbindingly atmospheric tale full of magic and mystery!

A beautifully told historical story that will transport you to 19th century Scotland... this story had a bit of a creepy gothic vibe, chocked full of mysticism and folklore.... Scotland is a country with a rich history that definitely shown through in this book... I loved all the lores, myths, and superstitions...

Audrey is in need of work, so she heads to the Isle of Skye to record this small closed community’s folklore and traditions.
Lou
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am all too aware of how powerful a location or setting in a book can be which is partly why I chose to read this. I frequently visit both the Inner (Skye) and Outer (Harris & Lewis) Hebrides and love the sparseness of the landscape, the people, and the beautiful beaches that could easily pass as those from an exotic tropical island. I was drawn to this not just because I know the Island extremely well but also due to the fact that I knew that some of the descriptions of the area should be ...more
Cathy
The Story Keeper has all the ingredients for an atmospheric read: a mysterious house (Lanerly Hall) partly shut up and furnished with cabinets full of ghoulish looking objects and curios; a family in which there are secrets and things that can’t be spoken of; a sinister factor/land agent; the puzzle of why Audrey’s employer, Miss Buchanan, is confined to the house; and villagers fearful that evil stalks their communities. It’s all set against the backdrop of the wind and waves that pound the sho ...more
Susan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine
I really enjoyed Anna Mazzola’s previous novel, “The Unseeing,” and was happy to receive a review copy of her latest book.

Audrey Hart is a young woman who has come to Skye to be interviewed for the position of assistant to Miss Buchanan, a folklorist. Audrey grew up with the stories and myths her mother told her. Now her mother is dead and she feels uncomfortable, since her father re-married and moved to London. Now she has virtually run away, after an event in an orphanage, where her father ha
Liz Barnsley
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Evil Fairies, legends, mystery and beautifully written. Review nearer publication.
Jane
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
‘The Unseeing’ is fiction, spun around historical fact, set in the 19th century.

When Audrey Hart reads an advertisement for a collector of folk tales on the Isle of Skye she can’t help feeling that it was meant for her.

She had a difficult relationship with her father and her step-mother; she was in an awkward situation at the orphanage where she had been volunteering. Her mother, who had a particular interest in folklore, had disappeared, had been presumed to have had an accident, while out walk
Beadyjan
This book proved to be sheer reading PERFECTION for me, beautifully written and descriptive it enchanted me from the very start to the wonderful end.

I loved the setting on the isle of Skye, the historical details following the Highland clearances, the wealth of richly painted characters and the themes of folklore, fairy stories and myth. With the main character of Audrey, a determined young woman whom I could admire and empathise with.
Janel
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you know what makes fiction all the more chilling? When it’s inspired by true events, a real case of young adults vanishing in the East End of London in the 1880s! Mazzola used this case as inspiration, relocated it to the Isle of Skye, and even weaved in a fairy tale of her own.

“Every group of people have their own stories that they create to make sense of their world. Therefore, in folk stories, in fairy tales, we see the reflection of humankind: its strength, flaws, hopes, fears. They tell
Karen
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audrey Hart has left her family in London for the Isle of Skye to interview for the job of assisting a folklorist, Miss Buchanan. Having burned her bridges in London she is keen to get the job, she has nowhere else to go and also she is seeking answers to her mother’s death on the island, some years before. Her mother was also a collector of folk tales and Audrey feels a natural affinity to the Island and to the subject of folklore and myths.

The islanders are a closed community and are not will
MaryannC.Book Fiend
An often times eerie, spine tingling, suspenseful read that kept me engaged till I reached the end. Based on the haunting true events of the West Ham Vanishings in the 1880's where several children disappeared one in particular was Eliza Carter, who claimed to have been taken by fairies and later disappeared again never to be found. Recommended.
Thebooktrail
description

BookTrail the locations in the novel

Changelings, fairy folk, communities scared by the Highland clearances, talk of dark deeds and missing girls....there's a lot going on on the Isle of Skye. Well there was in 1857 where this dark and foreboding tale is set.

Anna Mazzola has woven a rich tapestry of folklore, legend and setting to create a tale of intrigue and dark, gothic mystery. Stunningly rich in detail and shrouded in ethereal mist. The Isle of Skye has never looked so mysterious.

Brilliant.
Louise
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shaz Goodwin
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

24 year old Audrey, leaving London and its problems behind her, travels to Skye alone to be interviewed for Miss Buchanan’s assistant to help her in her quest to collect folk stories. Audrey is emotionally invested in both the place and the folk stories as both are connected to her late mother. Socially inept and finding small talk difficult, she’s become rootless since her mother’s death and needs to find her tribe. But is that on Skye?

From the beginning
Cheryl M-M
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Folklore is a way of passing on the stories of a people and their culture. It is also a way of passing on mythology and fairy-tales to the next generations. Folklore fuels fear, paranoia and mistrust, but it can also be conducive to bonding, feeling safe and a sense of community, especially on an isolated island.

Audrey has taken a job on the remote island of Skye in order to connect with her past and escape from the present. She has been employed to collect the stories of the islanders, the tale
Helen (TBC)
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbc, netgalley
I really enjoyed this venture into gothic suspense - it's dark, atmospheric and engaging!

The writing is excellent, despite the era there are strong females in lead roles, the setting and descriptions are captivating and the mystery and intrigue keep you turning the pages. I loved the obvious historical research that had been done to retell the impact of the highland clearances, the abject poverty suffered and the folklores told and believed in by the people of Skye.

Rife with tension, suspicion
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
Sluagh, boobrie, Cailleach, selkies, sprites, brownies, fairies, each-uisge, changeling - whether or not you are familiar with these terms, The Story Keeper is a must read historical fiction for any folklore enthusiast who are interested in Scottish Highlands myths, legends and folklore. Set in 1857, Audrey Hart, a Londoner, accepted a job offer to collect folklore stories for Miss Buchanan, a lady folklorist, at the Isle of Skye. During her stay there, Audrey found a body of young girl washed a ...more
Katherine Sunderland
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I have been desperate to read The Story Keeper after I fell in love with her debut, The Unseeing, and I was not disappointed.

In The Story Keeper, Mazzola uses folk tales, the myths and legends of an island’s history, the art of story telling and the rituals that bring people together to create a fascinating and intriguing story. From the very opening the atmosphere is deliciously mysterious, with a palpable sense of foreboding which is completely captivating.

I am now decided that Mazzola is defi
Zoe
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Headline and netgalley for this ARC.

Anna Mazzola gives us a true gothic thriller with The Story Keeper. I felt the creepy crawlies up my arms and down my spine a few times while reading this novel. Loved learning about the folk tales tradition also.

Kate
Such a beautifully written and atmospheric Gothic novel set on Skye during the 19th century. This is a place of folklore and myth - some of which are as brutal and cruel as the harsh conditions facing many of the island's poor. Such an engrossing read. review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
‘First the land was taken.

Then the stories.

Then the girls.’

The Story Keeper is the second novel from Anna Mazzola, following on from the success of her debut The Unseeing. Described as a ‘sizzling, period novel’, The Story Keeper will be published by Tinder Press on 26th July.

I read The Story Keeper while on my holidays recently and I can honestly say my head was stuck in the pages until the I read the very last word. A brooding and atmospheric novel folks!

Anna Mazzola has written a fascinatin
Karen Mace
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling mix of history, mystery, thriller and folklore that I adored and now has me itching to read more folklore tales!

I loved The Unseeing from this author, so have been eager to read her latest and once more I've been captivated by the setting, the characters and the unsettling feeling throughout as the tale of missing girls unfolds on the Isle of Skye.

Set in 1857, Audrey is not ready for a life of conforming. An unhappy home life due to her father and stepmother, she is eager to get a
Andy Weston
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Many will be drawn to this by the setting of the Isle of Skye, as I was. The story takes place in the early 19th century and concerns Audrey Hart who relocates from London to a village just north of Broadford to record tales of folklore from the Hebrides. As she settles into island life a young woman and friend of hers goes missing, providing an element of mystery to the story which it badly needs. As wonderful as the setting is, the book is short on action, and may appeal to those who like thei ...more
Lucille
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Story Keeper as much as I loved Anna Mazzola's first book, The Unseeing. The Story Keeper is beautifully written weaving a mystery around Scottish folklore on the Isle of Skye in 1857.

When Audrey Hart runs away from her London home she wants to find out the truth about her mother's death when Audrey was a small child and they lived on Skye. Now she accepts a job working for a folklorist but when a young girl's body is washed ashore and other girls go missing Audrey suspects foul pla
Clair Sharpe
My second book my Anna Mazzola - I really enjoyed her first, The Unseeing so I was keen to read this when the opportunity came up.
Set in 1857 on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, Audrey Hart applies for a job with Miss Buchanen who wants to collect the folk and fairy tales of the people of Skye and write them down. Audrey is qualified for the post being able to speak Gaelic and having a love of the regional tales from travelling there with her mother as a child. And for some reason we don't know at
Yvonne Davies
In 19th century Great Britain folklore was popular especially with the working class. Everyone would gather together to listen and swap stories. Each part of the country had variant stories and the task of collecting such stories were down to a small select few called folklorist.
Audrey Hart grew up listening to these stories. Unhappy with her life in London, she jumped at the chance to go to the Isle of Skye and help collect the traditional stories. As Audrey starts to collect the stories, she
Karen Peterman
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anna Mazzola’s The Story Keeper is a period novel rich with historical detail and set on the Isle of Skye in 1857. It opens with Audrey Hart’s long and exhausting journey from London to Skye where her mother died many years before.

Audrey has come to work for Miss Buchanan as an assistant collecting word-of-mouth folk tales from the local communities. Miss Buchanan is already assisted in the task by her nephew Alec as she walks with a stick and is unwilling or unable to leave the Buchanan estate
Linda Hill
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Needing to escape London, Audrey takes a position assisting a collector of local tales on the Isle of Skye.

What a fabulous book! The Story Keeper has absolutely everything to make it such a wonderful read. Firstly, Anna Mazzola writes with such skill that the language, style and descriptions are perfect for the era in which the book is set whilst still being totally fresh and accessible to the modern reader. There’s high quality research that underpins the story making it so convincing without e
  • House of Glass
  • A Gathering of Ghosts
  • Blood & Sugar
  • The Coffin Path
  • The Story the Soldiers Wouldn't Tell: Sex in the Civil War
  • The King's Exile (Thomas Hill, #2)
  • Blackberry and Wild Rose
  • The Pharmacist's Wife
  • On the Origin of Tepees: The Evolution of Ideas (and Ourselves)
  • Coming Home to Island House
  • The Glass Woman
  • The Poison Bed
  • Mussolini's Island
  • Extreme: Why Some People Thrive at the Limits
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Wicked Cometh
  • Widdershins
  • The Second Cup (The Butterfly Effect, #1)
Anna Mazzola is a writer of historical crime or Gothic fiction. Her debut novel, The Unseeing, won an Edgar Award in the US and was nominated for the Historical Writers Association Debut Crown in the UK. The Times called it 'sizzling'. The Mirror described it as 'a brilliant debut.’

Her second novel, a dark fairy tale about a collector of folklore and missing girls on the Isle of Skye, is out now