Start by marking “The Dark Isle (Sam Coyle Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Isle (Sam Coyle Trilogy, #3)

The Dark Isle

(Sam Coyle Trilogy #3)

Sam grew up in the shadow of the secret state. Her father was an undercover agent, full of tall stories about tradecraft and traitors. Then he died, killed in the line of duty.

Now Sam has travelled to Hoy, in Orkney, to piece together the puzzle of her father's past. Haunted by echoes of childhood holidays, Sam is sure the truth lies buried here, somewhere.

What she finds

Published June 1st 2017 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Isle

Priyanka
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Check out http://abooklionshideaway.blogspot.in/ for more reviews.
Let me begin this review by saying, I absolutely loved the writing, the concept of this book and the main character. This book takes place in the 70s and the 80s so it was really a fresh start for me as I haven't read books from that timeline. It just gave me these amazing nostalgic feels especially since it's a mystery and has spies in it!

This is the first book I read in this trilogy and in spite of it being the third installment I find that I quite enj
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2017
Don't mind this review if you love this series. I didn't know that it was the third book in a series when I requested the book from NetGalley and I also expected a different story, more of murder mystery story on an isolated island than a story about a young woman that remembers a summer long ago and the events that happened back then that affected her life.

To be honest, I should have DNF't the book when I realized that I didn't find the story engaging, but by then had I read quite a
Lisa Doherty (Rambling Lisa's Book Reviews)
Before I go any further I want to point out that this is the third book in the Sam Coyle Trilogy, however, I found it perfectly acceptable as a standalone.

I loved this book! It takes place during two timelines, late 1970’s and late 1980’s and given I grew up then it was fab to be reminded of silly things. Two of the things that made me giggle were profiteroles were seen as posh and black coffee, no sugar. I remember when profiteroles were only ever seen in restaurants and when I woul
Debra
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
For my written review, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Christopher Williams
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was probably the best of this trilogy although a little while since I read the other two. Certainly better than the second. Set in both 1976 and that memorable summer-in London and Orkney and, in 1989, in the same locations. Excellent references to the goings on in both these years and the plot was, I thought good and the most consistently believable of these books. Very good effort.
Sue
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the way it followed the main character as she tried to piece together the mystery of her father's past by telling it through her childhood recollections and her present day journey. The writing both describing the people and the places is beautiful. An intriguing and absorbing read.
Helen Goddard
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want the story to end!

This is the third book in a series that I found myself immersed in. I can't wait for the next title!
Patricia Scaife
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The last of the trilogy. I enjoyed this one too. I'll look out for more from Clare Carson
Ceecee
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oops. Just realised I've read these in the wrong order!! 🤣. Read 1 ages ago and thought it was excellent- really well written. I didn't think this one was as good but I still enjoyed it. Love the Orkney setting which I found fascinating. Better download the 2nd one then! Hope I don't end up confusing myself!!!
Michaela Twigg
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent ending to the trilogy.

Was expecting this to be a damp squib but turned out the opposite. It tied up all the loose ends and left you knowing that everything would be ok and the remaining ing characters were happy.
Chris Fleet
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good reading

I loved the trilogy and even researched a holiday in Orkney as a result of reading the books.
The description of London in the 80's and the renovation of the docks was very nostalgic. Thank you
Craig Sisterson
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: british, crime
This is an absorbing tale that blends family drama and Cold War spycraft, as young university student Sam Coyle delves into both her own past and that of an estranged childhood friend. Each had fathers who worked in covert roles for government bodies during the 1970s, and both men ended up vanishing from their daughters' lives while they were still young, in different ways. What effect does such a childhood have?

When Sam stumbles across her friend's father in a remote spot on the Orkney Islands
Sue
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
The story was good, but I found it very difficult to follow the plot. Too many deviations and different characters popping up. With the different time eras, that didn’t help either. Not keen on that set up. I prefer a straight forward story, setting out the characters in the beginning. And not weaving about all over the place. I do t even know why she had to kill him in the end????
Kay Smillie
Fairly decent story of spy who died whilst undercover and the spy's daughter trying to uncover some of the past of her dad. Perhaps I should have read the first two stories in the trilogy but I got this at an excellent price. It does not entice me to buy the others to be honest.

Ray Smillie
Helen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Gordon Smart
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written with interesting scenes and description. Plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing
Greenfield
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book which brings the excellent 'Sam Coyle' trilogy to a stunning close. Beautifully written, atmospheric, and a lot of depth to the characters.
Victoria Finlay
Aug 02, 2018
Kath Cooksey
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2018
Aug 26, 2018
David
Apr 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Sam Coyle Trilogy (3 books)
  • Orkney Twilight (Sam Coyle Trilogy, #1)
  • The Salt Marsh (Sam Coyle Trilogy, #2)