Start by marking “Angel of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Angel of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #2)

Angel of Hope

(Angel of Mercy #2)

When Heather Barlow returns from Africa, the joy she felt during her missionary trip fades.  She's still suffering from unresolved grief over the death of her friend Ian, and now that she's back home in the United States, she feels directionless.  And while Heather has changed a great deal, her family has not.  She is discouraged to see that her sister, Amber, seems no ...more
Published May 9th 2000 by Laurel Leaf (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Angel of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel of Hope

Start your review of Angel of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #2)
Courtney
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A novel that inspired me when I was a young child and is also still expiring me today. Mission work, spreading the love of Jesus, is something that can be difficult and even dangerous; however, no matter what comes against you, you must remember who's word you stand upon.
Kamryn Simonson
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the book Angel of Hope by Lurlene Mcdaniel. This book is really interesting and the main character is Amber Barlow. Amber Barlow is an ordinary girl who goes to parties and is in high school. Her sister however, is another story. Heather went to Uganda for a missionary trip and when she came back she acted different. When Heather was planning for another trip to Uganda, she go sick and couldn't go. Amber decided to tack her place where she met a guy named Boyce and they fell in love. ...more
Stephanie Jachymek
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
Better than the first one. Still not thrilled.
Amber was a more interesting character than her sister. I liked all the characters in this one more, actually.
But... Why did they go North while in Sudan to get back to Uganda? That's not how geography works.
Courtney
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: november-2016
title fits this book well. love the mystery that carries on throughout the whole book. you think you have figured it out but then there is a twist
Tiffany Howell
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good ending to a great series. Very inspirational!
Frank
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book combines two novels both linked and both equally good. These two novels are different than some of McDaniel's other popular books. Yet they are books everyone should read. But don't expect miracles and perfect endings. McDaniel doesn't write like that. She writes about real world stuff and that includes people who die, even if you want a miracle.

The first novel is about a High School graduate who takes 6 months off to go to Africa and help a people who know nothing about life in the
Rachel
Dec 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
Karen
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dallas-library
Raylee Gifford
Dec 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
This novel follows the story of two sister Heather and Amber. Heather who has just returned from a humanitarian aid trip to Africa watched her first love die in Africa but is still eager to return and help others. Amber is resentful that her relationship with Heather has changed since she returned. Heather convinces her mother to return on a trip to Africa with her but when Heather becomes extremely ill and can't make the trip superficial Amber offers to take her place on the trip. Amber meets ...more
Ezra
Dec 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a fast good read
Angel of Hope by Lurlene McDaniel

This book is about a girl who goes to Africa as a subsitiution for her sister. She goes on this trip expecting a boring experience but throughout the story interesting things happens to her. She gets chased by burgulars, falls in love, and learns so many different things about herself. She(Amber) goes through many complications while her sister is dying back in Miami but she has to learn to go on for the children of Uganda. How will she do all of this by herself?
Michelle
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Angel of Hope was about how Amber went of Africa to help her sister because her sister want to go back to Africa to the people there was she was diagnosed that she was too sick to go. During the six week stay in Africa, Amber had learned and been through the reason why her sister want to return to Africa.
What I learned from this book is that Amber had found her dream or goal for her life. She also realized that life wasn't something that she took for granted, it is something that she have to
Breann
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls, traveling fans
A great quickie that anyone (but perhaps more girls) can appreciate, especially over dull weekends, or lonely evenings....

I really enjoyed this book because it combined several different elements into one, attention-keeping story: travel, adventure, romance, and sadly, illness. The main character goes to Africa in place of her sister, somewhat unwillingly at first, and ends up falling in love with those she serves there and learns that life is about more than dating the most popular guy at
Areeba Imam
Angel of Hope is one of those books which help us explore the stories of all those beside us who are facing the hardships for real. Like many of us teenagers, Amber is confused about her future and life! She's a high-class girl and gets almost everything she wants but when her older sister can't return to Africa to the missionary trip, Amber takes her place, leading her to find a new way of living annd first time in life, she realizes who she really is.

Lurlene McDanial covers the most emotional
Brittany Durrant
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heather came back from Uganda and she's been miserable ever since. Her spirits rose when her friend back from the mission trip asks her to come back to Uganda with her. She invites her mom to come to perform surgery on the baby she rescued. A few weeks before they were to go to Uganda Heather gets really sick and now Amber takes her place.
I thought this book was really good. It was really well written, and it's pretty easy to read.
I would recommend this to middle school and up because it's not
Marie Danielle
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Theme: It is impossible to be certain about things.

Theme: People from other cultures are really very much like us.

Theme: People are afraid of change but things always change.

Theme: When in love, one must suffer.

Theme: Growing up is a challenge for everyone.

Theme: Accepting a challenge leads to positive results.

Theme: Actions speak louder than words.

Theme: The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running.

Theme: Our duty is to be useful, not
Liz Hokanson
Oct 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: engl-420
The storyline of this novel was unbelievable to me. I get that people change when they go have the adventure of their life, but this novel was almost to cliche for me. In the end, everything was too perfect. No one goes on a religious trip to Africa begrudgingly and within the first day has a complete change of attitude. Sorry. Not real. Also, the writing was too sappy for me. When the characters talked to each other, they didn't sound real. They were too formal and fancy to be family. I didn't ...more
Meadow Frisbie
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was shockingly good! Way better then expected.

Heather is home from her life changing trip in Uganda.....and wants to go back again.
After her parents agree, she gets sick and can't go but gets her self-consumed sister to agree
to go in her place. What Amber experienced in Uganda....from helping sick, to running for her life...will change the way she thinks forever.

The ending was very unexpected....not often when one of the main characters you learn to love dies....it was
Ccooke2
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng-420
If I were to pick a genre I would probably call this a romance or a coming of age.
The story revolves around two sisters Amber and Heather. Heather is dying (no surprise there) and has desires to return to Africa to help people. Instead, Amber takes her place when Heather is too sick and learns to become a more full person like her ailing sister.
McDaniels writes sweet stories that are kind of boring and predictable (you can predict death in every book). It was just okay to me.
Briana
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Review:
This was a great follow up to Angel of Mercy. The first time I read it, I didn't realize it was a sequel to another book. So I read it again after reading Angel of Mercy.

That being said, I think this book went by too quick. Lurlene McDaniel should have made both Angel of Hope and Angel of Mercy longer. They are both inspirational book with a nice storyline and great characters. I would love to read another book continuing Amber's story.
Katie Flikkema
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My first Lurlene McDaniel book. Yeah I know I read the second one first, but my school library didn't have the first one! I know makes no sense. My friend told me about this book and how she loved these two books. She told me what happened in the first one to help me out. I loved this book. Got me hooked on Lurlene McDaniel!!!
Kimberly
As the sequel to Angel of Mercy, it is a good continuation of the first story, but is also a good departure from the first (you know, instead of a mirror image with detail changes). I like the transformation of the main character from where she is first introduced. I would recommend this book, though it wouldn't make as much sense without reading the first book.
Jessie
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational book this is about two sister and the older one goes off to Africa and is doing some missionary work their for the kids she gets really sick and so when she comes home her sister and mom goes to africa and she winds up dying
Mary Bronson
I loved reading this book. The plot and characters are very well written. This story is very touching, heartwarming, and at some parts heartbreaking. It is a great book of young love and self-finding. Great, great read.
Kaitlin
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've read this back when I was a freshman in High school and I was going to read it again and decided to not read it again since I have books that I'm reading already. Anyways I thought this was really good!! It made me cry at the end, so that meant it was really good!!!
Neysy
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i think this book is such a good book for teens.when i started reading this book well actually angel of mercy i couldnt stop reading it. i finished both books in a day and after i could help wonder what happened at the end.
LeAnne
A confusion of POVs and which sister is the main character detracted from the impact of this story based on Mercy Ships. By the end it was moving, but it took an unlikely plot twist to get there.
Leo
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Angel of Hope was quite the book. It was sad, inspiring, romantic, and just all around a good book. I enjoyed it very much.
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yet another tear jerker.
~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~
this book is great and i learned that even the popular can change from a journey across the world.
Darlin'
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-reads
Awh this one was good though.....

• On the Loose (Katie Parker Productions, #2)
  • The Big Picture (Katie Parker Productions, #3)
  • Before Amen: The Power of a Simple Prayer
  • In the Eye of the Storm
  • In Between (Katie Parker Productions, #1)
  • Grace: More Than We Deserve, Greater Than We Imagine
  • You'll Get Through This: Hope and Help for Your Turbulent Times
  • Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear
  • Can't Let You Go (Katie Parker Productions, #4)
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Denali (The Heart of Alaska, #1)
  • Missing You (1-800-Where-R-You, #5)
  • Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1)
  • Beloved Hope (Heart of the Frontier, #2)
  • Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier, #1)
  • Beneath a Harvest Sky (Desert Roses, #3)
  • A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, #3)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...

Angel of Mercy (2 books)
  • Angel of Mercy (Angel of Mercy, #1)