Start by marking “Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse” as Want to Read:
Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse

Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse

(Serenity #5)

Tough times haven't ended for Mal Reynolds and his crew aboard the Serenity. When a call for help to find a missing friend takes them to an Alliance post on the Outer Rim, they encounter a new force building strength to fight the battle of the Browncoats--soon leading the crewmembers to question their individual values . . . Discovering that their friend is in Alliance ...more
Published August 8th 2017 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Serenity, please sign up.
Naka Well, I think so - The voices of the characters are pretty clearly the ones we recall and the overall tone is right. Of course, a graphic novel isn't…moreWell, I think so - The voices of the characters are pretty clearly the ones we recall and the overall tone is right. Of course, a graphic novel isn't the same as a TV series or movie, but for those who hunger for more of this story, this format is likely to be the best we can get.
I plan to re-read the ones already published in preparation for reading this new one. I hope it will be at least as good as the previous ones.(less)

Start your review of Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse
Cyndi
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good but the art wasn’t top shelf. This is supposedly set after the Serenity movie. Our gang is still moving about the universe. Mal and Inara are together. She is a former companion. Simon and Kaylee are struggling at keeping their relationship together. Zoe is a single mother trying to keep her baby safe in an unsafe world. Meanwhile River is piloting the ship while evading groups that want to take her back under the control of the alliance.
Lots of excitement with things
Sarah Churchill
Wash still too soon!

The first story, "No Power in the 'Verse" reads like a full episode, though apart from me feeling really bad for Jayne (who saw that coming?!) I could honestly take it or leave it.

"The Warrior and the Wind" is a bedtime story told by River, that's basically a short fairytale version of the crew. And Wash. Poor Wash... It's adorable and the artwork is perfect. I'd love for this to be published as a standalone short story with illustrations *ahem Chris Riddell*
Mel (Epic Reading)
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
While Chris Roberson has done a brilliant job capturing the accents and talk of each character; I was still disappointed in No Power in the 'Verse. Overall it feels like it's not a stand-alone story (even though it was published as one). Clearly this was/is a set-up for the next wave of Firefly comics. Which would be fine if it was the end of a season and we only waited 4-6 months for the next comics. Instead this was published LONG before the next set of Firefly comics would hit the shelf. And ...more
Chad
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Reads like a standard episode of Firefly. George Jeanty's art is so-so. His characters don't always look like the characters from the show and hence it's sometimes hard to tell who's who. He did a lot better job when he was drawing Buffy.

Received an advance copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Rick
I wish I could say I loved this. I really, really do. Firefly is probably my favorite TV series, but these comics that continue the story from the series and the film, Serenity, leave me more disappointed than I really want to admit. The characters, which were so rich in the series, are just cardboard cut-and-paste versions of their former selves; and while the story is progressing, the characters aren't. This will probably be my last Serenity mini-series. It's not horrible, it's just not ...more
Ashley

I love Firefly, but I was a little disappointed by this comic. It just wasn't everything I wanted it to be. No offense to the main artist, but the art really didn't capture the characters very well. I really noticed it with all the girls, they didn't look like them. The worst capture was probably River, followed by Kaylee, and Inara. Even Zoe didn't look exactly right. Mal 10% of the time looked like himself, the other 90% was just weak, it just wasn't even close for most of the characters. I'm
TJ
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this, but at some point they need to stop ending these with "the end" because it's so not the end! I was a bit frustrated with where they left off the relationships of Mal/Inara and Zoe/River. If this was "the end" there should have been some positive reconnection between them, and the relationship drama between Kaylee and Simon was a continuous thing throughout this book, but it was never really dealt with, oddly. I expected to see a certain bounty hunter in this book once more, but ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is for super fans of Firefly, and crave another cycle of adventure. Also some River backstory that is pretty interesting, and seeing Zoe with the baby!

I also realized that Chris Roberson is the same guy who works on iZombie, a silly zombie show that I like watching.

Thanks to Edelweiss for access to this a bit early. It comes out as a collected volume in August.
E.W. Pierce
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Starts great and ends with a bang, bit the middle is long and middling, and the art is subpar throughout.
C.T. Phipps
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just when things were getting interesting. We'll never know what Dark Horse comics had planned for SERENITY after LEAVES ON THE WIND and NO POWER IN THE 'VERSE because their license to produce Firefly comics has been lifted by 20th Century Fox. Fox has since passed this license to BOOM! comics. Except, Disney is buying all of the non-Fox news portion of Fox media so that means that Boom! is undoubtedly soon going to be replaced by Marvel. Which means that anything BOOM! comics does is going to ...more
Trike
This feels like a second-rate episode of the TV series, and only half the story. I don't know why it's listed as 152 pages. That's just the first story. With the backup tale and cover gallery, it's actually closer to 172. I want that page count, Goodreads!

The art is middling. Sometimes it was hard to tell which character was which, with Kaylee, River and Inara especially difficult to tell apart. Good thing Jayne has a Van Dyke beard.

So you can skip this, unless you are a Firefly completist. I
Christian
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Georges Jeanty was a pretty reliably decent comics artist at some point in time, right? What exactly happened there? Maybe he's burned out on Whedon stuff and should go illustrate something he believes in, because he's gotten pretty bad. There were many times that I couldn't even tell who was talking. Speaking of things that were good once, Serenity comics were good once, weren't they? Did I just have lower standards? I barely remember Leaves on the Wind which didn't help in my appreciation of ...more
Josh
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 stars, bumped up to 4 out of love for the series.

Whenever I get the chance to return to Firefly, I'll take it. And there is a lot here that recalls why the show was so good--in the characters, the setting, the dialogue. And beyond nostalgia for the show, there is some fun, adventure storytelling here as well--in both the main story and the bonus episode included at the end.

On the downside, however, without the Whedons handling the writing, the dialogue sometimes feels like someone mimicking
Elise*HereForTheRomance*
Again. I just love seeing my Serenity family. The story seemed to drag a little but I just thought to myself, "Would you enjoy this if it were an episode of Firefly?" and the answer was yes. Yes, I would. I'm honestly a little sad now that I don't have any new Firefly content to consume so I will probably just rewatch the series and movie and reread these comics until the end of time.
Rod Brown
Well, this is about as bland and inconsequential as licensed, work-for-hire storytelling gets. The artist almost captures the likenesses and the writer sort of knows the spirit of the characters, so if you just need a whiff of a Firefly fix, this'll hold you over until something better comes along.

Or you could just watch the show again...
Emily
5 stars for the extra story at the end, The Warrior and the Wind, River telling Wash and Zoe’s child how her parents met and how the crew came together as if she were telling a fairy tale. Lovely.

I liked the main story, but I was bummed to be left with so many loose ends by the time it wrapped. The artwork was fantastic, especially the cover art and in the bonus story.
Julie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the story, but the interior art makes River and Kaylee almost indistinguishable from one other. Even if the artist couldn’t get the faces right, how hard would it be to give Kaylee red hair? It’s medium brown in most of the panels.
Zoe's Human
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an exciting adventure, just as exciting as any episode, but it ends in a very "to be continued" manner, which is a bit dissatisfying.
Michael Cook
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse is really a lost opportunity. It took a great premise and crammed way too much story into too short of a format. This would've been a great story if it had the room to breathe. Imagine if it was spread out over 13 episodes of a TV series, each episode building up to the eventual climax and cliffhanger of the finale. But instead, it's like 13 hours of television was crammed into a two-hour movie, except the comic version of that analogy. Some characters are well ...more
Cristina
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Mal and the gang are misbehaving again, and it's good fun! ...more
Robert
Well conceived and executed tale that gives a glimpse of how things might have gone had the series continued, broadening the storylines and deepening the characters.
Dakota Morgan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a very good episode of Firefly. I can't say that's exactly the highest praise, since you might expect a six-issue series to go a bit more in depth into the Serenity universe than a standard episode. But, much like a standard episode, No Power in the Verse is fast and fun and, obviously, the characters are all wonderful to hang out with. And it's not all fluff - Mal has to make some tough decisions regarding just how far he's willing to go with a rebirthed Browncoats sect in their ...more
David Caldwell
A graphic novel collection of the limited comic book series, Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse (#1-6) and the short story, The Warrior and the Wind. The events in the collection take place after Serenity: leaves on the Wind.

The crew finds themselves in a perilous partnership and trying to deal with an Alliance Operative while trying to find a missing friend. On top of that, relationships onboard Serenity are being strained.

I was a huge fan of Firefly when it was actually on TV. I tried to get all
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Serenity: No Power in the ‘Verse occurs after the events of Serenity (the movie, that is). I assume most fans have probably seen it by now (and if you haven’t, I strongly urge you to hop on the couch and watch it now. Seriously). I started reading this as it released by the issue, but the wait between months was killing me, so I ended up switching to the volume instead (get the waiting over with all at once).Side note: There are other comics about Firefly, but while they amazing you don’t ...more
Max Ostrovsky
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sci-fi, fiction
Something must be going right in the world for there to be new Firefly material and this run did not disappoint.
It had all the standard fare that is to be expected. The story is engaging and addresses the all the political and philosophical ambiguities that makes for interesting discussion. While there are clear bad guys and good guys, the story had enough characters and situations that challenged the sense of right and wrong - including our own favorite crew.
The character dynamics, while
Clark Hallman
Serenity Firefly Class 03-K64: No Power In the ‘Verse, by Chris Roberson (Writer), Georges Jeanty (Illustrator), Karl Story (Illustrator), Dan Dos Santos (Illustrator), Joss Whedon (Executive Producer), 2017 – Many readers of this graphic novel may remember the Firefly TV series, starring Nathan Fillion, that aired 13 shows back in 2002-2003. It was certainly very popular among science fiction fans during those years, as was the Serenity movie that was released in 2005. If you liked the TV shows ...more
Darlene
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I purchased The Serenity Graphic Novel No Power in the Verse since I am a Browncoat and have the first 4 graphic Novels. No Power in the Verse is the first of 6 graphic novels from the Firefly/Serenity universe created by the talented Joss Whedon. The story takes place after the events of graphic novel 4: Leaves on the Wind. It contains two episodes: No Power in the Verse and the shorter The Warrior and the Wind. The story focuses on River Tam, and the others like her such as Iris whom they ...more
Slayermel
Trying to leave a review for this is very hard for me as I'm such a fan of the show. I found the idea of the story great, but the combination of the art work and the way the story was pulled off a bit meahhhhh.....
I know part of this is due to my wanting more of the show, so nothing will ever be able to meet the standard. However I did really enjoy the first story in the series more.
I think part of me became disconnected from the characters I love so much when Zoe became so over protective of
Snowleesi
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, comic-book
Firefly will always be one of my most-lamented cancelled-too-early shows. So it is a treat beyond words to be able to continue following the adventures of the Serenity crew years after the show's been taken off the air. It makes it ever more special that it definitely seems like we are being told the stories Wheadon always meant to tell with the show. In this volume, for example, we find out finally about the reason Inara left Sihnon, we get more backstory on River's missing years and training - ...more
Scott Lee
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story works well off of what's been established so far. The characters all behave as they should, and I was especially impressed with the work by the actual writers (look at the cover Whedon didn't write a single issue in here) as they nailed each characters dialogue. One of the wonderful things about any Whedon project is the language itself and how he develops a whole range of expressions for each set of characters and show/world that is unique. Firefly was the best of that particular trait ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • Downtime (Serenity, #2.3)
  • The Other Half (Serenity, #2.2)
  • It's Never Easy (Serenity #3.6)
  • Firefly: The Magnificent Nine
  • Firefly: The Unification War  Vol. 1
  • Serenity 2: Better Days
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Spread of Their Evil (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Serenity: Firefly Class 03-K64 (Free Comic Book Day 2016)
  • Firefly: Big Damn Hero
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1
  • Angel: Out of the Past (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: One Girl in All the World (Season 11, Volume 2)
  • American Gods, Volume 2: My Ainsel
  • Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories
  • Firefly: Bad Company
  • Angel: Time and Tide (Season 11, Volume 2)
  • Auberon: An Expanse Novella
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'

Serenity (5 books)
  • Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)