Start by marking “Journey of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Journey of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #1-2)

Journey of Hope (Angel of Mercy #1-2)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  568 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
HEATHER BARLOW HAS always been idealistic, and now that she has finished high school, she’s ready to make a difference in the world. After graduation she joins a mission group on a hospital mercy ship sailing to Africa.

Praise for Angel of Mercy:

“There’s a huge audience for McDaniel’s romance fiction, and this one has all the features her readers look for.”—Booklist

“Most re
Published October 12th 2004 by Laurel Leaf

To ask other readers questions about Journey of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey of Hope

Angela M.
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a two novel book.The first part of the book was about a girl named Heather. She travels to Africa with a mission group on a hospital mercy ship to help people out that are in need. She meets Ian McCollum, who helps her along the way, dealing with death, disease, famine, and much more. The second part of the book is about Heather's sister Amber. She is going with her mother to Africa in place of Heather, because she was unable to go. This book is great for anyone that is intersted in Afri ...more
Tiffany Howell
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like that this book has the whole series. Much it much easier for storage.
Andrea
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Journey of Hope is two novels put together: Angel of Mercy and Angel of Hope.

I used to love reading Lurlene McDaniel's books as a kid. So I was excited to dive into this one. I wasn't expecting it to be so religious. I can't remember if all of her books are so religious and I just never noticed when I was a kid or if it's just this one, but it kind of turned me off.

That being said, I loved reading about the time in Africa. I'd love to travel there someday. And my best friend's little sister ju
Dara
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Heather Barlow is a character I was really able to connect with. This book showed me that there is a lot out there that I really haven't seen and experienced. I think it was also very brave of her sister to head off to Africa even after everything she had to go through when her sister, finally home, got sick with a deadly disease. Her sister, although not eager to go at first, ends up being almost more adventerous then her older sister. She also dealt better with a lot the things she saw and exp ...more
A.g
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply amazing. My favorite book so far that I've read (and I read many, many books). It is so inspirational and tugs at my heart strings. It has everything that I like in a good book, and will make the sensitive ones bawl their eyes out. As a Christian, it really made me look into what I want from the future. I would recommend to almost anyone.
Vianey
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books. It is inspirational, sad and happy I'm happy to see the younger sister changed after all that has happened. It is a must read. This is my favorite and then always and forever would be my next. The story line was great. Very well written with great characters. I got into the book very quickly and cries in some parts. I enjoyed reading it.
Olivia
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Riane
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An easy read but very inspirational.
Paytience K.
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You sometimes need to get out side your comfert zone to feel something wonderful.
Mariya
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-school
best book I've ever read. it was so emotional. i sobbed for three straight days!
Angela
Jun 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
It gets the third star because of the interesting setting (Africa, teens on an aid mission). The writing itself isn't that great - it seemed kind of flat. But overall not a bad read.
Alois
May 31, 2013 added it
this was a really sad book, but it really touched my heart. loved it:)
Morgan
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and made a huge impact in my life!
Amanda
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a combination of two sisters' stories. Both go to Africa on a mission trip and come back changed. Wonderful!
Melenia
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love love love!
Rachel
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is what sparked the ambition in my heart to help and brought about my connection with the beautiful country of Africa.
Alison
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is actually a reread for me. And I loved it just as much as the first time.
Saoirse
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I loved thhis book! well actually its 2 books but both of them are so awesome. You can't help but cry at the end it is so sad.

Isabel
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
i love all of Lurlene McDaniel's books, but this one in particular dazzled more than the rest.
Cara
Apr 10, 2010
Ashley
Dec 16, 2011
  • Zink
  • Both Sides of Time (Time Travelers, #1)
  • On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #4)
  • London Calling (Elizabeth, #2)
  • A Time Apart
  • Amelia and the Outlaw
  • For the Love of Venice
  • Thames Doesn't Rhyme with James
  • Anna and the Duke (The MacLaughlins, #1)
  • Summer Rain
  • We Were From the Mountains
  • Wedding Bell Blues (Piper Cove Chronicles #1)
  • I Am Fifteen--and I Don't Want To Die
  • Hindenburg, 1937
  • Diamond Boy
  • Distant Heart (Westward Hearts #2)
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

Angel of Mercy (2 books)
  • Angel of Mercy (Angel of Mercy, #1)
  • Angel of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #2)