Start by marking “The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager” as Want to Read:
The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager

The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager

"No one asked you to show up." Every experienced product manager has heard some version of those words at some point in their career. Think about a company. Engineers build the product. Designers make sure it has a great user experience and looks good. Marketing makes sure customers know about the product. Sales get potential customers to open their wallets to buy the prod ...more
Published May 1st 2017 by Product School

Start your review of The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager
Curiosbag
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A darn near perfect book on product management give step by step on how to implement world-changing-idea into a product and execute it to the market. I am specifically expected to learn how to launch and the framework that provided in this book is exactly what I’m looking for. No non sense and bullsh*. Plain informative and easy to follow/understand stuff. Although the lessons are from the high end people from Google, Facebook, Netflix etc., so the adaptation frameworks here are most likely for ...more
Eduardo
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If don't know what a product manager is, this is your book. If don't know what a product manager isn't, this is your book. If you don't know how a product manager does her/his job, this is your book. If you don't know how a product manager has to deal with other roles in any and all of the steps of concept, development, and launching of a product, this is your book. If you don't like just conceptual books and need good examples to understand the theory, this is your book. If you don't believe in ...more
Phuc Le
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: product
An amazing book showing full Product Development Cycle with examples
Margarita Artemyan
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
André Pimentel
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good option for anyone wants to become a Product Manager. This book has great examples to work with developer's team, Design, stakeholders, marketing and many more.

With basic and medium/advanced examples to planning a Product development lifecycle, Product metrics and launch the first version of your product or a new feature.

If you want to learn about Product Management, I'd recommend this book for you.
Andreea
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
I read this when it came out after going to several Product School events in San Francisco. It's a nice introduction to the world of product management for those who are new to it. It's informative, but not necessarily practical.

Product management isn't a brand new field (retail companies have had product and product portfolio managers for a long time), but this book was on trend for when software product management became a fast-growing and well-paid discipline in the US. It's good, but I woul
Madeline Wright
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book download as a resource from a course I purchased. As for the content I found it useful conceptually but I came across the issue of noticing quite a few spelling/grammar errors.
My other issue was that the digital ebook wasn't a single pdf but a zipped folder where each chapter was broken into separate PDFs and the figures references were also in their own folders, which was a bit cumbersome to navigate.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about product managem
Mark
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book served as a 50,000-foot overview on what goes on in the life of a product manager. I'm completing my final semester at a school in NC and must begin recruiting soon, so there's no time like the present to pound down a half dozen books on product management. I technically got it over the summer but didn't have a reason to read it until I stumbled across an impromptu networking session with Google. Anyway, the book got a little bit repetitive at places, and most of the diagrams shown are ...more
Mike Shoss
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After joining the Product School Toronto cohort I was recommended to read this book as part of the curriculum. It’s safe to say that the curriculum made this book. I would argue that its almost as good as a replacement for taking the course.

It’s supposed to be used to supplement the course but a lot of the key features that are touched it in the eight week program are also covered in this book. Of course you will be missing all of the real world examples that the teacher provides but if you’re t
Juanma
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I work in marketing, but I'm always looking for new knowledge to add to my skills or develop new ones. I heard about product management time ago, and I read it about, blogs, YouTube, talks... I learn some things, but when I read this one, I finally understood in a new dimension, not just what the h*** is, but also what skills, methodologies and knowledge I need. It's not easy, but I someone want to transform his career and become product manager and you don't know how, start here. 100% recommend ...more
Dragan Nanic
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is envisioned as a comprehensive overview of a product management role and what that role entails. It is written for the students without any prior knowledge of it and as such is geared more towards brief explanations and practical examples. It does not dwell into alternatives or difficult problems and is filled with gems like:

Engineering is hard, and every product needs engineers. Given that, their skills are incredibly in demand and talented engineers are worth their weight in gold!
Kostas
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
While it has quite a few practical pieces of advise and several tools for PMs to utilise in their role, it is also quite waterfall-y and doesn't stress the importance of user testing, MVP, and early releases as strongly as I would expect.

A junior PM or someone wanting to become a PM may go the wrong path of pleasing the stakeholders, building things and celebrating output, but that's not gonna serve you well when the user is the one who decides and the outcome is the one that matters.
Tathagat Varma
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A good high-level map for a rookie product manager, especially in the context of B2C products. The book is an easy read (though I wish there were more industry examples, especially from the public domain) and builds the overall "process" flow very well, and is quite current in its ideas and approach.
Kirill
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for a book about Product Management? Or do you want to understand what drives the company you are working? Maybe you want to know something about management? I've got good news for you. That book is an excellent choice.

P.S. Must read for team/tech leads or senior software developers.
Mikhail Filatov
It can be a good introduction to PM discipline, but it's more like a set of lectures vs. a real book.
E.g., an example -a startup called "Moovers"- is introduced but after that is forgotten for a couple of chapters. Authors also can't reconcile a modern fad aka "Lean startup" with waterfall (with the detailed PRD, etc.) praising Lean but actually describing waterfall-like LC.
Diego Eis
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about product management. It bring the basics in detail to cover all responsibilities of a product owner or a product manager... I recommend to everyone that works with product, not only Pm/PO, but devs and Designers too.
Nathan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great introduction and quick summary for lots of elements of product management, ux, design, marketing, engineering, etc. Wish it had more book recommendations and tool links at the end of each chapter but still excellent.
Amruta
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really well written for people looking to break into product management. It was a very comprehensive overview of how a Product Manager should get the work done with the highest quality. Definitely referring back to it for all my interviews!
Udaykiran Joshi
Very useful insights into what goes into the product management in general! Briefly touches all the stages of the life cycle, provides useful tips and advice on how to work with key stakeholders. Highly recommend for all the folks who are new or curious to know what goes into Product management!
Maksym Karazieiev
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: po
Very nice intro into the product manager role with a lot of advice and hints for novices. It is also a quite interesting overview of the whole product development cycle. Would be a great book for beginner POs and quite trivial things for experienced ones
Mahender Swaero
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its really good book , I am learning many pm skills , thanks

I'm using this book ideology in my business , I'm recomending this book to all business man's ,students and amazing
Zunaira Elahi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Four stars are only because there were lots of typos in the text. Otherwise extremely useful piece of work for new and aspiring product managers.
Kevin Dieu
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book if you want to get into Product management. It gives a high-level overview of what a product manager does with easy-to-digest sections.
Dieter Goetzinger
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great introductory overview of the Product Manager role. I highly recommend it for anybody new to or interested in the role.
Jordan
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit high level, but a good handful of helpful tips for experienced PMs.
Ross
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good introduction for new PMs or people wanting to pursue a PM position. All of the right traits are described.

Not suggested for experienced PMs.
Tatiana Lascu
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read for people looking to break into product management.
Gregg
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok for a general overview but you will have to dig deeper somewhere else to really learn the important stuff.
Thanasis Oikonomou
Good start book covering almost all aspects of PM. Doesn't delve into much detail for each, otherwise it would be more than 1000 pages.
Rafael
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Light and engaging but too basic for anyone who has minimum experience with digital products. However, there are some tips that might come in handy.

• Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • Decode and Conquer: Answers to Product Management Interviews
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • The Practitioner's Guide to Product Management
  • Intercom on Product Management
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Measure What Matters
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“PMs manage products, not people, so they must achieve everything using soft influence, effective communication, leadership, and trust—not orders.” 0 likes
“Product managers are like the conductor in an orchestra. The conductor never makes a sound but is responsible for making the orchestra as a whole sound awesome to deliver a great performance to the audience.” 0 likes