Start by marking “TRANS/gressive: How Transgender Activists Took on Gay Rights, Feminism, the Media & Congress ... and Won!” as Want to Read:

In the early 1990s, no one talked about transgender people, and no one knew one. We were not on TV or in movies. What formed the visible part of the transcommunity – overwhelmingly white, urban, and middle class – was also overwhelmingly focused on conferences, surgery or hormones, and cisgender acceptance.

This was still a determinedly non-political population, often in
Published June 1st 2017 by Riverdale Avenue Books

To ask other readers questions about TRANS/gressive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TRANS/gressive

Start your review of TRANS/gressive: How Transgender Activists Took on Gay Rights, Feminism, the Media & Congress ... and Won!
Kuzu
Jan 30, 2018 added it
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, Wilchins has been involved in so many activist organizations over the years and decades that the book covers what feels like a lot of ground in the history of trans visibility and legislation. On the other hand, the chronology is confusing (she jumps back and forth between events without always making it clear what happened when), and as someone with a fairly low level of education in trans history I worry that I might be missing events in which Wilchins ...more
l.
It’s really disturbing that she would crow about ending michfest - about this being the first major national political event trans activists had pulled off, that it signalled the end of female focused spaces... I couldn’t finish it. Instead of reading this, google what Davina Anne Gabriel wrote about Michfest in her trans feminist journal TransSisters to see a reasoned and empathetic trans perspective.

ETA: I went back and read the rest and she does do useful activism re violence against trans
Xan West
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I care very much about learning trans history and honoring trans elders. That’s why I wanted to read this book. It felt important to me, especially, to read a history of trans activism, as a trans activist and writer.

I am not from the same generation of trans folks as the author; I’m one generation behind, or perhaps two, depending on how you measure it. Trans communities have intense generation gaps that
Logan
*I received an ARC of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*

Trans history isn’t something that’s often talked about, even when the topic of activism history or queer history comes up. In TRANS/gressive, Riki Anne Wilchins speaks about her own experiences with activism, specifically trans activism. She talks about how she was at the forefront of trans activism and how trans activism increased over time. This book follows the path of trans rights in
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: transnonfiction
*** Note: I received a review copy of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Publisher and author. ***

This is both a personal and thorough history of transgender activism. The narrative-based writing is accessible and compelling, while also being informative. I couldn't put it down. Excuse me while I read everything else by Wilchins.
Isaiah
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got an ARC copy of this book.

I got this book as part of a big find of a publisher that was offering so many queer books that I went a little crazy requesting them all. This was the first one I sunk my teeth into. I have known of Riki Wilchins for a few years, but never really knew her name. I knew of the Transexual Menace (spelling intentional). I cited her work in my senior thesis in college that was about setting up a queer space on campus and how we could not rely on the Women's Center or
Andrea
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anglés, godi-gsrdi
I was a bit scared of the content of this book taking into account the title. However, I have ended up being very pleased with it.

This is a book about Riki Wilchins' experience being a trans activist for decades. It highlights important changes and fights. It's particularly interesting to read about some of the situations that they had to face back in the 1970s and 1980s and the ones that continue today.

There are many quotes that got me thinking and taught me about the community in the US. For
Lisa
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you are interested in LGBT History in America this is definitely a great book to read. Written by activist Riki Wilchins this book mostly focuses on her personal experience as a politically active trans woman, a founding member of Camp Trans and a member of the Transgender Menance.

Having done some research on my own in LGBT History I had known some of the things that Riki mentioned. I had heard about
Des
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
“It is not the story, but rather my story. It is what I experienced, what it was like to be there, and what it means now.”

DISCLAIMER: an Arc is provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

TRIGGER WARNING: This is a non-fiction book which contains the notion and stories of violence, transphobia, hatred, transmisogyny, sexual assault, suicide, child physical abuse, child sexual and emotional abuse.

An interesting reading but may be a slow one to read.

Full review:
Monika
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-cis-authors
This is such a great book! It's a pretty thorough history of trans exclusion in both feminist circles and gay/lesbian spaces, but it's shared as memoir, a first-hand account told in Wilchins' delightfully sarcastic tone. A must-read for every feminist. Even if you think you know a lot about the history of feminism and trans rights, you will learn a lot reading this. (Note: If you're cis, please remember you shouldn't use the reclaimed slurs Wilchins uses in the book.)
Lori Perkins
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing behind the scenes book at the inside history of transgender activism in America. A must read for anyone interested in gender studies.
Tristan
I came across this on netgalley a little while back, and have been all but desperate to read it ever since.

Pretty much what it says on the box, badass trans folks taking on the world and somehow winning. Yet, somehow, it feels like a whole lot more. We have so little LGBTQIAPN+ history - more now than we used to, but still far less than we should, and even within the stories of queer stories, it so often feels like the T is forgotten. Thus, coming across a full book of trans and queer history
Katie
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, netgalley
(Received from NetGalley)

This book should be a must-read for all young LGBTQ+ folks (and all cishet folks, but that's a harder sell, I know). I'm constantly amazed at how so many young people in the LGBTQ+ community, myself included, know so little about the history of LGBTQ+ folks' struggle for rights in the US. And even when we hear about history, it tends to be centered on a very certain group of people, usually middle/upper class cis white gay men and lesbians.

This book fills in the gaps in
Laly Villablanca
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Riki Wilchins has this way of telling stories at the same time of giving facts and information that makes you want to investigate more about it. Everything about this book is human, fragile, raw, and it is a must read of intersectional feminism.
I believe most times, people shut trans people out of certain discussions because of transphobia or because it is more "comfortable" for them. This book shows that reality that people try to ignore exists, the wall built in the "accepting communities"
Adrian
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A spirited and fun (as it can be, given the gravity of the topic) trans rights history covering about 1990 to 2012, by a well known trans author and activist. This is a quick readable story, told with each chapter focused on a specific action/demonstration and all the details leading up to them, and then their results. The structure works very well. As an editor, several formatting and spell check typos stood out, but they are minor enough not to disrupt the flow.
Kendra
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as their other books, but nonetheless a fascinating look at some trans history.
toria (vikz writes)
This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review . TRANS/gressive is a history. TRANS/gressive is a retelling. It is a history of a movement. It is a history of people growing into political consciousness. It is a history of an individual’s journey through that movement; their role within it, their view of it, and their doubts about a movement that they had helped to build.

This book outlines the changes within the Trans community. How trans individuals went from;
Alana Portero
Jan 09, 2018
Jen Sloan
rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2017
Tristan
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

Evan
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
TRANS/aggressive is a great resource and must read. From feminism to trans* history, you find personal insight, failures, and victories within this book. I would recommend this book to anyone trying to gain more knowledge about the transgender movement and how the movement has formed throughout the years. This is extremely important to the trans* community as a whole. I want to thank Net Galley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Gender & Sexuality Library
Deborahanndilley
Nov 21, 2017
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2017

• Native American DNA: Tribal Belonging and the False Promise of Genetic Science
  • Governance Feminism: An Introduction
  • The Lottery and Other Stories
  • Blue Hallelujahs
  • Uberland: How Algorithms Are Rewriting the Rules of Work
Riki Wilchins is an activist whose work has focused on the impact of gender norms. While she started out as a transgender leader -- founding the first national transgender advocacy group (GenderPAC) -- her analysis and work broadened over time to include discrimination and violence regardless of individuals' identity. While this perspective has been widely accepted, its breadth has provoked ...more