Start by marking “The Brothers Grimm: Illuminated Fairy Tales, Vol. 1 [Kindle in Motion]” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Grimm: Illuminated Fairy Tales, Vol. 1 [Kindle in Motion]

The Brothers Grimm: Illuminated Fairy Tales, Vol. 1 [Kindle in Motion]

From Rapunzel to Hansel and Gretel, Grimms Fairy Tales have enchanted readers for generations. This dramatic Kindle in Motion edition presents seven classic storieseach restored to its original version and reimagined with modern digital illustrations.

Each tale is lovingly portrayed by a different artist: Kali Ciesemiers vibrant colors animate the thorny path of Briar Rose.

Kindle Edition
Published June 13th 2017 by AmazonEncore (first published 1817)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Grimm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Grimm

Start your review of The Brothers Grimm: Illuminated Fairy Tales, Vol. 1 [Kindle in Motion]
Bethany
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely retelling of classic stories with a twist of moving pictures!
WarpedSweetness
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the moving illustrations

I really like these Kindle in Motion books.

The illustrations were lovely. I've read these fairytales before, though these weren't the complete tales.

A good book for a child to be read to.
Danielle N
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this up for 0.99 on a Kindle Deal. I was a fun, enjoyable experience that added a nice touch of life to some old favorites. However, I was somehow under the impression (or expectation) that Kindle in Motion was something more than this. I am not sure I would be prepared to invest large amounts in the titles, but it was well worth what I gave, for the stories alone. The small snippets of animation were are quaint bonus!
elizrdbthspeaks
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
weird so Goodreads found this Kindle in Motion (if you see one available for the book u wish to read u gotta check it out ... kindle in motion is so genius!! love it!! what fun!!) addition but didn't do that for Wind in the Willows??! odd. what a great ... love this feature! what a great ... love this feature! so so awesome. i am trying to think if i had read this as a child. I did read The Wind in the Willows as well ... love the kindle in motion ... so so awesome!! ( ;
P.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nicely illustrated (with limited simple animation) select set of Grimm's Fairy Tales. The pictures are beautiful and the brief animation sequences can be replayed if reading on an e-reader device. It's not the complete set, though, so docking 1 star because it could have been even more amazing if it included the full set of tales in one volume.
Erica
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Throughly enjoyed it.

This was a birthday gift. I love the Grimm Fairytales and reading them with the gorgeous moving animation was such a treat. I highly recommend this especially to parents wanting to get their children into reading.
Alexandra
10/17/17 Kindle version on sale for $.99. Have only glanced at it so far, but the pictures with movement are pretty cool.
Britta
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So Kindle in motion, was pretty cool. I wish there was a little more. Add in the Audiobook with it, and it works perfectly. Highly suggest the combo!
Julia
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traditional-lit
I have previously heard that Grim's fairy tails were a lot more graphic then the fairy tales we read to our children today. When I read Rumpelstiltskin there were not many changes from the original story. The only graphic part came at the end when he tore himself into two pieces. I liked this story, but I think that there are plenty of revised versions of it that could have more meaning when taught to children.
Raquel V
This was exactly what I expected: short, interesting, and very grim (the adjective is justified). It was fun to see some of my favorite fairy tales in their original gruesome version. I think it would be great inspiration for Fantasy writers too.
Morgan
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short collection of tales taken from the Grimms larger cannon. The versions of the stories presented here, while not always my favorite, are enjoyable. (The version of Cinderella is quite nice.) This would be a lovely, and appropriate, version to read with children.
The animation, or illustration, is what drew me to this book. The illustrations are modern, and the animation charming. It is not just geared for children, but will interest anyone with an interest in the tales or
Stephen Archer
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Brother's Grimm Fairytales are some of the Western World's most renowned stories. These include stories like Hansel and Gretal, The Juniper Tree, and Cinderella. This edition, however, takes the stories to the next level by providing beautiful illustrations and some animations on the pages.

Amazon has done a magnificent job getting artists to design this edition of the Brothers Grimm Fairytales. The illustrations and animations are stunning.

The only problem I had with it was that I was
Bianca Scharff
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I originally saw this book I didn't know what it meant by in motion or what would be so special about a new edition with only a few fairy tales since I own the hardcover collection of Grimm's fairy tales. Although I haven't been able to find my copy and thought it would be nice to have this on my phone. I was so very pleasantly surprised the Gifs or pictures in motion just make the story so much more magical and impactful. Its amazing what just a few lively illustrations can do for a story. ...more
Goth Gone Grey
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This reminds me of a large bound book of fairy tales I was given as a child, revisiting them was a pleasure. Be warned - though the forest birds and animals can help our heroines, and many of the stories have songs written within, these are not Disney tales.

Traditional fairy tales are, well, grim. Cinderella's sisters cut their feet to fit into the golden (yes, golden, not crystal) slipper, Hansel & Gretel push the witch into an oven to burn alive, no tale with a stepmother has a happy
Bonnie Dale Keck
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
kindle unlimited, wanted to try something that was on ku before popped off $10 bucks for the harry potter one with supposed kindle in motion

On the Hidden Garden one was free audio, but the kindle in motion did not work for the cloud {didn't think it would}, the kindle for android {close to state of the art tablet with 32 gb mem and 32 gb sd} and not for the android phone

the Brothers Grimm didn't work on either of the first 2 but did work, somewhat, on the android phone {just with that screen
Eli
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Summary: Look at the sumptuous art skip the boring text. Continue reading for details

Each story is illustrated by a different artist and their work is worth looking through the book if you have a kindle unlimited account. One complaint; I have read the illustrated versions of Harry Potter, Dracula, and Edgar Allen Poes stories and all of them made much more use of the animated capability of the medium, here that element was disappointingly absent.

The stories are surprisingly boring. And in a
Michael Cohn
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful classic fairy tales and beautiful illustrations

I loved the fairy tales collected in this book. Many of them were familiar from the movies and musical adaptations, from Disney and elsewhere. But reading the original versions from the Brothers Grimm brings the reader back to their origins, or as near as we can get. The illustrations accompanying the stories are beautiful, especially when they begin to move. The Kindle in Motion technology helps bring the stories to life and make the
Ursula Johnson
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, audible
Beautiful Illustrations Enhance Classic Tales

This Kindle in Motion book is a fantastic collection of some of the Brothers Grimm's well known fairy tales. The digital book is beautifully illustrated and enhanced by a wonderful audio book version. I read this book using immersion reading. It was interesting to learn the original versions of several well known tales. Very enjoyable and wonderfully narrated.
Amanda
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a preview of the illustrations that made me buy this book. They are beautiful! I was intrigued by the kindle in motion concept and how the illustrations would be incorporated. This was my first experience with kindle in motion and I enjoyed it very much. It reminded me of children's pop up books with the moveable parts. The stories of course were classics and I appreciated the illustrations were also.
Cindy
Oct 16, 2019 added it
Shelves: art, children, fantasy, 2019
This is one of my first Kindle In Motion books. I like it. Although, it was a little inconsistent. The first story had graphics on each page, even if they didnt move, butvlater stories had several pages with only black print on white page. And several stories had the motion graphics a page or two after the associated text.
Alina
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Classics

Beautifully animated and illustrated classic Brothers Grimm takes by multiple illustrators. Quick versions of old that still have semblance to their originals. Most U have read. A couple were new to me. Love Kindle motion. Brings the stories to life in a different way. Excited for a volume 2 in the future.
Ashley (Red-Haired Ash Reads)
This Kindle in motion was beautifully done in this book. The illustrations were beautiful and captivating with the motion with it I especially loved the illlustrations for Cinderella.

The narrator was terrible in my opinion though. I really couldn't stand her voice so I just read this collection.
John Mann
A few key classic tales

This was a great little book with some of the most popular Grimm tales. They even retain some of the gruesome details that some modern versions leave out. I enjoyed the illustrations and the animations, though I wish there were more. There are many, though! The title indicates that there will be multiple volumes, and Id like to get those as well.
Charlie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird but interesting

These tells in the original telling are just plain weird. I keep thinking there must be some meaning in the choices made in wording. I am glad to know the original but prefer the updated version s.
Bonnie E.
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Illustrations

These classic tales are enhanced with animated illustrations that would be worth seeing even without the fairy tales. Together they form an enjoyable retelling of the Grimm stories.
Angela Holtz
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Lilac Wolf and Stuff Review

Only a handful of stories, but the beautiful pictures make it fun. I am 100% sold on this new Kindle style.

I recall reading in here: Sleeping Beauty, Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella, The Frog Prince, and Rapunzel.
Jared R
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically engaging

A great introduction to the brothers Grimm fairy tales. The illustrations and animations made the reading come to life. I think this would be great for high school literature analysis or for any person (13+ years old) to enjoy.
Ashley
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read.

Beautifully illustrated version of some of the classic Grimm's fairy tales. Some may be a little scary for younger kids, but adults and older children will get a lot of enjoyment out of this.
Austin Houck
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the GOAT.

There's not a lot to say about this. This has stood the test of time. These are some of the greatest story's ever told which morals have been given to youth for generations with. Never loses it's touch. Perfect rating for a perfect book.
Tanner
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kindle + Audible. Enjoyed the unique story experience through e-reading, listening, and seeing intricate illustrations and animations. Some of the fairy tales were a bit odd, to say the least. My favorite tale was probably Hansel & Gretel.

• Darkness There: Selected Tales by Edgar Allan Poe [Kindle in Motion]
  • Young Blood
  • Celtic Tales: Fairy Tales and Stories of Enchantment from Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, and Wales (Irish Books, Mythology Books, Adult Fairy Tales, Celtic Gifts)
  • The Tangled Woods
  • Parable (The One, #2)
  • Vampirella Volume 1: Crown of Worms
  • Oak Avenue
  • Miao Dao
  • The 13: Tales of Macabre
  • Loam (Disorder collection)
  • The Remedy
  • There's a Giant Trapdoor Spider Under Your Bed
  • Two Henrys (This Can't Be Happening collection)
  • Hannah-Beast
  • The Sleep Tight Motel
  • After Words (Missing collection)
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #8
  • The Best Girls (Disorder collection)
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)