Start by marking “This Tiny Perfect World” as Want to Read:
This Tiny Perfect World

This Tiny Perfect World

A contemporary “clean teen” coming-of-age story about a small-town girl who opens her eyes to life’s endless possibilities

When Penny wins a scholarship to a prestigious theater camp, she thinks it’s the start of a perfect summer. But when she arrives at camp, Penny is thrust into a world of competition and self-doubt. And as she meets new friends, including Chase, a talent
Published February 27th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about This Tiny Perfect World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Tiny Perfect World

Stacee
Oh man, it seriously breaks my heart to rate this so low. I have enjoyed Lauren’s other books and was quite excited for this one. Instead I was so so so bored.

Penny is just okay. Her inner monologue sounds flat and I never actually connected to her or any other characters. Everyone seemed so one dimensional and clichéd.

Plot wise, it was meh. It didn’t feel like anything happened. There wasn’t a spark, there wasn’t a real conflict, and nothing captivated me. I was interested enough to want to k
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 3/5

*I recieved a digital ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

This was a cute, fun read. I'm glad it went down a different road that I was originally expecting. I love when a book isn't predictable but for some reason, that's a hard thing to find these days. If you're a contemporary fan, like moi, you're going to like this!
Eric Smith
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need this book right now. I'll read anything Lauren Gibaldi writes.
chloe ♡
*WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD*

And in that moment, I remember something important about glass: it's delicate and clear, but if you hold it up to the light, there are a million beams of light that shine through. There's so much more to me. I'm not a perfect unicorn or a broken monkey. I'm still being designed, constructed. I'm exactly what Teresa said I was - a work in progress.

Did I like the book?

Honestly, I don't know.

I mean, when I first requested to join this blog tour, I had no idea what this book
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
I knew that I would love this book the second I read the synopsis. I will read pretty much any book about acting and any book that is set at camp. This Tiny Perfect World has both. I really enjoyed the message of this story, and the main character is believable. If you enjoyed Lauren Gibaldi’s other books, her latest instalment will not let you down.

Full review on The Candid Cover
This Tiny Perfect World is a Young Adult contemporary novel. The book takes place in Florida. The narrator is 17 year old Penny (1st person POV).

Penny has gotten a scholarship to a prestigious theater camp. So by day she takes the bus to the theater camp where she has new friends. And at night she has her old friends Logan and Faye.

She lives in a small town, Christmas Florida. The camp is a bus ride away in Winter Park, the fanciest neighborhood in central Florida.

There is definitely a big divi
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs, contemporary, ya
Rating: 3.5 stars

Penny was perfectly content with her life. She loved her hometown and spending time with her bestie and her boyfriend. Her future was predetermined, and she was ok with that. However, after Penny was accepted into a competitive acting camp, her little world began to grow, and she started to see that there were a lot of different opportunities out there, and that she may want to explore them.
I'm a girl from small-town Florida - we stay here.

This Tiny Perfect World was a very tho
Joséphine (Word Revel)
March 6, 2018

My full book review is up on Word Revel.

_________

March 4, 2018

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Initial thoughts: If drama and theatre are involved, you can be sure I want to read the book. Thats nearly a guarantee that I'll enjoy it and in the case of This Tiny Perfect World, I sure did. Call it nostalgia for my own pursuit of theatre but I enjoyed following Penny through her summer drama programme. One thing that This Tiny Perfect World did well was that there were quite a number of chapter
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Video Review

It took me a long time to warm up to this novel but once I was into it, I was into it a full 100%.
I don't think I've ever said this before but I'd really encourage you to read this whole review and not click off just because you read a word like "love triangle" because there's so much more to this story and I would hate for you to get discouraged from reading the book because of words like this.

A lot in this novel took me by surprise. I went into it not knowing much, except tha
Ashley Williams
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light-hearted, clean YA read about a small-town girl with big dreams. It was a quick read, I finished this book in one sitting. It was sweet and hopeful.
Rachel Strolle
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
awww this was lovely

i love cute theater stories
Ceresa
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was outstanding! The way Lauren Gibaldi's words brought penny to life in my mind . Its like the words leaped off the pages and I was watching what took place . I Experienced it. The story was different and relate-able all at once . Penny the girl with her whole life planned out , wanted more . To take risk , have fun , experience new things.
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won
This was a super cute, light and fluffy YA romance. It wasn't super risky but had a likeable heroine who didn't do what I was fearing she would do, and an enjoyable setup. I've been reading a lot of dark and depressing books lately so it was really great to read something light! Great book to read on your vacation!
Jazmen
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Things that worked: The small town setting. Although it felt restrictive to the main character, a small town story often feels homey and quaint.

The love triangle: It was less about the who will she choose, and more about what each person represented in both the story and in her life. Each person represented the different stages in her life. They represented what she's already decided, and who she can become. It was also handled very well. There were no useless fights, or unnecessary drama.

The Da
Allana
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I appreciate this book for what it is. I love finding contemporary books that make you think about where you are in life, but at the same time there isn’t a drastic amount of drama going on. This book was a simple read that I found enjoyable while in my reading slump, I like how realistic the story was but also how it still didn’t go the way I was expecting. I like the the main character starts to question everything once she realizes how small she’s made her world become, I also really like how ...more
Andrew
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is Gibaldi's best novel yet. Penny goes to theater camp for the sake of the experience, while convinced she is content to live the rest of her life in her small town with her loved ones, and to take over the family business. The more time she spends at theater camp, the more she rethinks her plans for the future, and wants to give herself the chance to go out into the world. But how does she break this to her boyfriend, or her father? A beautiful book about embracing uncertainty and change.
Bookworm Baley
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A big thank you to YA Books Central for putting up an early ARC giveaway and allowing me to win a copy!

It's always great to read books that have motivation and motive for pursuance throughout the story. The backstory is usually set up to be dreary, to have a negative influence or present some kind of control over the character over the course of the novel. The character is shown to overcome this conflict, internal or otherwise, as they are making their way. This is exactly what I saw when readin
kglibrarian
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though Gibaldi does not take risks with breaking out of the young adult formula, her straightforward, honest writing makes this story an engaging and enjoyable one. The novel highlights that it is possible for teens to use their individual interests to carve out a niche within the intimidating world of high school cliques.
Sandy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2017, disappointed
This Tiny Perfect World is the third book by Lauren Gibaldi that I've read. While I can't say that Lauren Gibaldi is a favorite author of mine having read these three books, I can say that she's fairly consistent. The biggest correlation between the three books that I've read (The Night We Said Yes and Autofocus) is "coming of age". For some reason coming of age stories aren't usually my favorite. So I don't fault Lauren Gibaldi's writing so much as the plot for these types of stories. The purpo ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Penny receives a scholarship to a prestigious performing arts camp near her home, it completely changes her plans for the future in THIS TINY PERFECT WORLD, a new novel from Lauren Gibaldi.

Gone are Penny's plans to stay close to home, attend community college with her best friend, Faye, and her boyfriend, Logan, and take over the restaurant that her dad runs. Attending the theater camp allows her to meet new people who are certainly different from her friends back home. The camp causes Penn
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received an eARC from Harper Teen via Edelweiss for the FFBC Blog Tour. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” they say.

Honestly, this ‘they’ don’t sound like they know what they’re talking about. Book covers are smol, precious things that need to be cherished and admired and when I see covers that are absolutely beautiful like this one, I JUDGE THE BOOK AND EXPECT GREATNESS.

Which is what brings me to th
Cassie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Once again, Lauren Gibaldi has written another book with so much emotional power behind her characters. In This Tiny Perfect World, we are streamed through the world and emotions of the main character, Penny. It’s currently Penny’s summer break, and while her friends are pursuing jobs, she is participating in a summer program for actors. Penny is from a small town, where no one really leaves. But in this story, Penny begins to see that her passion for acting may not be just a hobby and the small ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
This Tiny Perfect World is a quiet and contemplative contemporary novel.

Penny has her whole life planned out: attend the local community college, take over the family cafe, marry her childhood friend turned boyfriend Logan, and eventually have kids. She loves her town of Christmas, Florida, and she doesn't want anything more than that. She's happy in her tiny perfect world. Until she goes to a theater camp and starts to wonder if maybe she is missing out on something more.

There's a love triangle
Jessie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
This is a very quiet book. It's about Penny (and some other chars, like her dad) discovering a lot of possibility and starting to explore it without really diving in yet. It's about new relationships and old relationships and holding those in tension.

I loved that there was very little drama in the friendship between Penny and Faye. A lot of times longstanding friendships in books like these feel like they're set up to be tested, and I was glad Penny had something that was solid here. (Dealing wi
Amy Layton
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
This is a book I didn't know I needed.  Normally, the books I didn't know I needed tend to fall under a different genre, so this one came at me as a surprise.  Basically, my story is a lot different than Penny's.  I'm in grad school, I work 40 hours a week, and I have an inkling of what I want to do with my life (be a librarian).  Penny is a little different.  She's still in high school, she has a good support system, but she's always just sort of imagined that of course she'll inherit her famil ...more
Anelise
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Rating: 3.5/5

This Tiny Perfect World is a light, fluffy novel about a girl who goes to a summer theatre camp and learns that her future isn't what she thought it would be.

It took me a couple chapters to really get into the novel, but once got into it, I really enjoyed it. I loved the family dynamics between Penny and her father. We got to see how their relationship evolved as the time went by and we learned more about each character.

The thing I loved the most about this book is it's about self d
Charmaine
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This story was straightforward, inoffensive, and sweet. It's a classic coming-of-age story for a girl who goes to a new place and realizes how much more life has to offer.

My problem with the story was how constant and apparent everyone's desires were. Eventually, everyone kind of sounded like a broken record with their mantras. We get it Penny, you want something MORE. And Logan gets a huge disservice for always seeming so jealous, insecure, and small-minded. We view Chase with rose-tinted gogg
Molly
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Lauren's books, THE NIGHT WE SAID YES is one of my favorite books ever. So I was excited for this but really sad that I wasn't clicking with it at the start. I read this book while I was at work so there were weeks where I couldn't get back to it and I was... okay. I didn't feel compelled to pick it back up when I got home or when I had free time (and was reading other books).

But around 60% in I really started to connect. I, even now as an adult, struggle with coming from a small town. I
Jill Jemmett
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story!

I loved the drama program that Penny attended. It was described very well, and sounded fascinating. Acting is completely new to me. I’ve always been shy, and I was never interested in drama classes, though I did dance. I found this part of the story very interesting, since it is something that I’ve never experienced.

The characters in the story were great. They were well developed, and seemed like real people. I liked that Penny was conflicted in many ways, from her futu
Jenny
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Public librarian and author of THE NIGHT WE SAID YES, MATT'S STORY (a Night We Said Yes novella), AUTOFOCUS, and THIS TINY PERFECT WORLD, all with HarperTeen / HarperCollins. Fan of dinosaurs and cheesy jokes. And you.